You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Ranked Battles & Arms Race

64 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,424 posts
2,332 battles

Captains, 

Please leave any feedback on season 11 of Ranked Battles here.

We are also very interested in what you think of the improved Arms Race mode on its own, as well as in the context of Ranked Battles.

You can find detailed information on the rules and mechanics of the new season on our portal: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/ranked-11-arms-race/

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,023 posts
3,675 battles

Plain and simple: IT IS NOT FUN. 

Ranked was all about (individualistic) team-play, strategy and forcing a win and carrying hard... Now with Arms Race it became an arcade slugfest where it doesn't matter how you play or if you use tactics, the buffs will carry you to victory or drag you to defeat. It ain't much use calling out "X used damacon, Y got a flood,...". Of all the seasons of ranked, this has to be the biggest damp squib of them all.

But at least there aren't any carriers there.

• Cool 9

[ADRIA]
Players
4,581 posts
6,874 battles

Aren’t we putting a bit too much trust in allied DDs with this one?

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Players
63 posts
7,642 battles

Played one battle. Was scheptical. Not touching this BS again. 

First and foremost: premium powercreep is REAL. That also comes in with a devastating amount of radars (and that's accross all my friends matches. Kronstadts, missouris, blacks are there in fleets).

Not to mention: what went wrong with the mind of the guy who thought Arms race would be a good idea for ranked!?

Overall, this is terrible.
It feels like a joke.

• Cool 3

[WGB]
Players
192 posts
12,462 battles

Arms Race as a game mode - fun.

Arms Race in Ranked - what were the WG developers smoking?

Who the hell thought it a good idea to release it at the same time as the CV 'rework'? As now I have no-where to play the type of game that I actually joined WoWs for, genius decision making! Still, my wife thanks you as for the first time in ages I can't be bothered to play WoWs.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2

[SKRUB]
Players
162 posts
13,611 battles

I kinda prefer more arm race ranked, than the regular one.

In one hand, match end more quickly, positioning is more important (#bonus) and the "random" end cap. 

In other hand...Kitikaze and other few dd became very strong in this mod, but it's more a meta fault, than the mod himself.

So for what i see and play, for me, it's a less painfull experience.

• Angry 1

Players
1,278 posts
9,723 battles

Does it really make sense to award the Dreadnought achievement in Arms Race mode? I think not. What with the constant heal buffs. A clan mate of mine just got it in his Yugumo.

• Cool 3

Players
58 posts
3,251 battles

Nothing against T9 or Arms Race but both together seem to be a bad idea.

I asked players, in randoms, if they had tried ranked and the answer was mostly : " Yes, for one game. I won't play this again."

• Cool 4

[TTT]
Supertester
3,655 posts
13,773 battles

I would like to play arms race, but not in Ranked Battles. I played a bit and hadn't any fun at all. Arms race mode makes it too arcady, it just flat out removes what little competitive aspect ranked had to being with. Why on earth someone thought bringing Arms Race to this mode would be a good idea I'll never understand. I don't mind changing team size to 6 instead of 7 but Arms Race...

Also, can I politely raise my doubts about Trident being in this map pool?
7ad2b643af.png

I'm playing Jutland there and can shoot across half the map basically...

If I bring myself to play this, it's not because I like it, it's because you're bribing me with steel and I suspect that it'll be the case for a lot of other people, too.

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
745 posts
15,671 battles

Arms race in ranked basically reduces battles to throw of a dice. 

You can not use and meaningful tactics, as all characteristics of ships are changing all the time, due to magical buffs. 

Keep Arms Race as a game mode for the ones who like more arcade style, but go back to normal modes for Ranked.

• Cool 6

Beta Tester
223 posts

Arms race in Ranked, who thought this was a good idea? Normal mode was frustrating enough already. Played 2 games, 1 win/1 loss, and that is it. This patch will go in the history of gaming for most retarded decisions or at least challenge Bethesda. GG WG, you screwed up royally with this one.

• Cool 1

[BW-UK]
Players
26 posts
9,795 battles

I first tried 2 random battles yesterday with tier9 dds.

Found them to be completely unplayable and unenjoyable due to the reworked CVs.

So I said to myself how I should try ranked since it's tier9 and so there won't be any CVs.

It was even worse. Like a FPS game without even a bit of tactics or thinking. The whole idea was to grab those permaheal caps and just spam at the enemy team. Eventually u will win, no matter what they do.

Again, unplayable and not fun at all.

So today, after years of playing WoWS and for the 1st time I actually don't know if and what to play....

As if WG deliberately wanted to destroy the (otherwise pretty good) game.

• Cool 1

Players
11 posts
5,584 battles

mixed feelings so far, but I only played a handful of games.

It is nice to try something new for a change though.

This mode needs adaptive strategy and close support of each team member; no sniping or insta-yoloing.....

Obviously dds are best suited for this mode and we will see many games with 4 DDs on each side. Moreover tech tree DDs like Kita and Z perform very good if not better than Black (those slow toprs....) in solo play. But if a radar DD works together with a Kita/Z: oh boy RIP those enemy DDs.....

On the other hand tech tree CAs/CLs and BBs are somewhat lacking against premium ones.

[BITAM]
Beta Tester
96 posts
20,315 battles

Strategy is gone.
Welcome static lemming train gameplay.
If it wasn't for the iron the majority would not even play this.

[UNICS]
Players
1,241 posts
15,368 battles

my second game , enemy had only dd left we had 3 dd's left , game had 8 minutes remaining at that time XD , but was fun to show off what a 2s~ reload black can do :cap_rambo:

[-GOD-]
Players
121 posts
13,228 battles

I used to hate ranked with every fiber of my body. It was boring, predictable and infuriated me to no end. Now I play ranked (my least favorite mode) with my 2nd least favorite class: Battleships. I love it. To my surprise I did well, undoubtedly got carried several times, but I also had some great carries.

In random I (used to) play mainly DD's and cruisers. I play BB's here, I love my Jean-Bart. Not sure about the DD's. They seem to be hunting rewards mostly.

2019-02-01 (1).png

Players
1 post
1,827 battles

i think it would be a good idea to have the tier of ranked battles ship for rent while the event is running not everyone has tier 9 ships so like me they can not play this time or go back to the old way where the different leages could be done in lower tier ships. i enjoy playing the ranked battles but this time i have to miss out :-(

• Cool 1

Players
1,278 posts
9,723 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, Zen71_sniper sagte:

Arms race in ranked basically reduces battles to throw of a dice.

Well, there may be a bigger element of chance than in the normal mode Ranked, but even there, you get thrown into random teams...

You do have a point but I have to say, personally I don't mind dragging this Ranked season out for as long as possible. I have several Tier X ships to grind for the next CB season and wouldn't care at all about doing that in the carrier-infested Random battles as long as this rework mess hasn't been sorted.

What we all need to focus on is keeping carriers out of clan battles indefinitely though.

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

On ranked this season: Complete and utter BS. Games are decided within the first minutes usually and it doesn't feel like you have much influence about it. All seems to depend on which team has more players who can snap out of the usual passive mindset. A passivity, which you are deliberately breeding with the unleashing of these stupid new CVs in randoms. How on earth could either of this pass? I get it, there are always some real speshul people in any company, but how comes the sane ones failed to stop them?

On arms race as a mode: I don't like it and I'd never even have thought twice to play it. None of what you probably consider improvements changed that one iota. It's too arcade and completely against the general feel of this game. FFS, stop trying to find ways to get the console crowd interested. It ain't happening, it's a different market. All you're achieving is to alienated the core playerbase more and more.

But I have to give you one thing: it very much suits this patch in general. It's a big patch. So it also is a big failure.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
175 posts
5,889 battles

Rank 13 is all I could stomach, absolutely no fun, win or lose is completely out of my hands, its down to pure chance of who has the better rng & more Musashis. An Izumo or FdG on the team is a guaranteed lose. I'm not that desperate for steel, you can keep it.

[OLEUM]
Players
38 posts
14,133 battles

As expected, headless chicken race. Shame what the only competitive mode I can play turned into :-( It'd be fine if you did not put OP ships behind steel wall, then I'd just skip this season completely.

[D-252]
Players
24 posts
5,526 battles

Positive impressions so far, no doubt because of a decent start in the 4 games I have played so far. 50% WR, but the 2 games we lost I got the highest XP on the team so didn't lose the star (one of those 2 games in a Buffalo).

I actually quite like Arms Race mode as it does force more team play imho.

The 2 games we won, it was on team play, and the ones we lost, it was for the lack of team play. The risk is of course that I'll now end up on crap teams for 10 games in a row.

It is also a bit of a World of Musashi, and I guess I'm not helping by playing her (not exclusively), but if I don't play her in Ranked, all that would be left is Randoms, and 'no thank you' in the current CV meta.