You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Supertest - Test Ship Changes

54 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,426 posts
2,343 battles

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Italian destroyer Leone, tier VI.

The Smoke Generator is replaced with a similar consumable to the American Destroyer Farragut:

• Сharges: 2 (Smoke Generator I) and 3 (Smoke Generator II);
  • Cooldown: 240 sec (smoke Generator I) and 160 sec (smoke Generator II);
  • Duration: 30 sec;
  • Smoke dispersion time: 118 sec.

Leones guns rotate quite slowly and do have not the best aiming angles. These disadvantages will remain the distinctive characteristics of the ship, but the improved parameters of the smoke screen compensate for them and allow the destroyer to effectively utilize the main caliber guns in battle.

Changes to main battery:

• Increased initial shell velocity from 750 to 850 m / s and improved ballistics;
  • Increased maximum AP shell damage from 2000 to 2100.

This Italian destroyer had very specific ballistic parameters, that reduced the effectiveness of firing at long ranges to almost zero. These new characteristics will alleviate this issue.

Leone.jpg

Soviet destroyer Neustrashimy, tier IX.

The main battery can now rotate 360 degrees, allowing Neustrashimy to be more effective in battles while maneuvering.

Torpedoes replaced by more powerful ones, emphasizing the role of Neustrashimy as a torpedo destroyer:

• Cooldown reduced from 131 seconds to 125 seconds;
  • Maximum torpedo damage increased from 14 600 to 17 933.

Neustrashimy.jpg

Japanese cruiser Yahagi, tier V.

Added consumable "Engine Boost" in a separate slot;

Reduced rudder shift time from 7.4 to 5.1 sec;

Torpedoes replaced with new ones:

• Range increased from 10 to 12 km;
  • Torpedo speed reduced from 67 knots to 60 knots;
  • Detectability range has been reduced from 1.7 to 1.6 km;
  • Maximum damage reduced from 20 967 to 17 233.

The main problem with the torpedoes of Yahagi are the restricted firing angles. In the new concept of the cruiser, we decided to focus on them, compensating for this disadvantage with the ability to launch torpedoes whilst remaining undetected, and increasing maneuverability.

Changes to main battery:

• Increased initial shell velocity from 825 to 850 m / s;
  • Improved penetration of AP shells.

The previous shells of the cruiser were very weak and could not penetrate the armour of similar ships. The replacement shells fix this issue and increase her effectiveness in combat.

Yahagi.jpg

"German" battleship Viribus Unitis, tier V.**

The ship has been moved to level V. The set of characteristics of the Viribus Unitis, and in particular the excellent armor, made it overly effective at tier IV.

Characteristics have been adjusted to the following:

• The firing range of the Secondary Armament has been increased to 4 km;
  • Detectability range increased 10.8 to 12.5 km, when firing smoke from 8.4 to 9.54 km;
  • Firing range increased from 14.7 to 16 km;
  • Sigma is increased from 1.5 to 1.8;
  • Main battery turn time reduced from 60 to 45 seconds;
  • Main battery cooldown reduced from 32 to 30 sec;
  • Incresed AP shell fuse time up to the standard value 0.033;

The ship still retains it's comparatively low visibility and with the adjusted values of the main battery she will be a worthy adversary at her new tier.

** Yes we know, it's an Austro-Hungarian ship! :Smile_hiding:

Viribus Unitis.jpg

Japanese cruiser Azuma, tier IX.

Cruiser moved to tier IX. This reallocation will allow the ship to feel more comfortable in battle.

Certain values have been adjusted to to reflect the tier change:

• Secondary Armament firing range reduced to 5 km;
  • Hit points reduced from 71 800 to 58 350;
  • The armor of the central section reduced from 30 to 25 mm, as this was a special feature of the ship at tier X;
  • Removed consumable "Hydroacoustic search";
  • Main battery reload increased from 18 to 20 sec;
  • Accuracy has been changed to resemble that of standard cruisers (such as the Dm. Donskoi or Roon) instead of 'super' cruisers.

The removing of the "Hydroacoustic search" consumable will emphasize the role of destroyers as one of the main opponents of large cruisers.

At the same time, the new accuracy parameter will distinguish Azuma from other similar cruisers (Stalingrad, Kronstadt, Alaska), giving the cruiser a feature of Japanese cruisers - good accuracy compared to her classmates and rivals.

Azuma.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Bad 11

[BABBY]
[BABBY]
Players
7 posts
12,647 battles

I don't understand the logic behind Yahagi changes, 3*2 light cruiser guns with terrible reload will not be viable no matter how much the maneuverability and AP is buffed.

In the rare case of the enemy is showing broadside to the ship, might as well use the torps instead of the "improved AP".

• Cool 2

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
370 posts
2,921 battles

I don't understand the downtiering of the Azuma.

What is uncomfortable about playing a 70k HP cruiser with good concealment and good guns?

Beta Tester
2,384 posts
9,229 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I don't understand the downtiering of the Azuma.

What is uncomfortable about playing a 70k HP cruiser with good concealment and good guns?

It is a fat target with bad armor.

Don't you realize the guns will be way better with standard cruiser accuracy? 

Ship is definitely more interesting now. 

• Cool 2

Players
2,420 posts
15,503 battles
14 minutes ago, MrConway said:

This Italian destroyer had very specific ballistic parameters, that reduced the effectiveness of firing at long ranges to almost zero. These new characteristics will alleviate this issue.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Catches breath....

15 minutes ago, MrConway said:

in particular the excellent armor, made it overly effective at tier IV.

Like almost every dreadnought type ship in the game?

Viribus Unitis and Exeter at tier 5, Leone at tier 6? Hilarious!  :cap_haloween:

Players
1,709 posts
6,668 battles

Well Well Azuma.

I'm glad it didn't make it into tier 10.  Cant be doing with another premium ship in clans, one BlanceGrad is more than enough thank you very much.

However, giving it 25 mm, losing it's hydro and that HP decrease make it a glass cannon in the highest degree.  It's a snipers captains sniper. 

Interest but certainly not noob friendly at all. Seems balanced tho.

• Cool 1

Players
1,709 posts
6,668 battles
2 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Catches breath....

Like almost every dreadnought type ship in the game?

Viribus Unitis and Exeter at tier 5, Leone at tier 6? Hilarious!  :cap_haloween:

I know, couldn't help but laugh myself.

Really goes to show doesn't it. :Smile_facepalm:

Players
1,273 posts
11,156 battles

Azuma like Alaska and Kronhstadt an T9? Is her armour really so bad/ weak?

By the way, @MrConway,  has Exeter any chance to move to tier 6 (since we have Yahagi at T5)? There are many scenarios at T6 and few things to do at T5. Slightly stronger armour and one tier up could be interesting. So... any hope?

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,426 posts
2,343 battles
1 minute ago, umbra_arboris said:

Azuma like Alaska and Kronhstadt an T9? Is her armour really so bad/ weak?

By the way, @MrConway,  has Exeter any chance to move to tier 6 (since we have Yahagi at T5)? There are many scenarios at T6 and few things to do at T5. Slightly stronger armour and one tier up could be interesting. So... any hope?

There is always a chance, but I am not aware of any plans for it right now. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,420 posts
15,503 battles
8 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

I know, couldn't help but laugh myself.

Really goes to show doesn't it. :Smile_facepalm:

There must've been huge personnel changes in St Petersburg over the last year.

[-CIA-]
Players
145 posts
16,288 battles

Damn it WG, u where going places with Azuma, but u lost us, I personally lost interest.... 

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles

Azuma

I see the reason, but in the end the changes might go too far, making her too fragile. Having less HP than other supercruisers with worse armor, but long duration fires, will make it quite weak. Plus it's a big ship...

Leone

No amount of changes will compensate for the fact that the ship belongs at T5. If it was moved like other ships, then it would have been easy to balance it a tier lower.

Neustrashimy

Those are some very nice changes. The 360 turrets are always nice.

Yahagi

The main problem with this ship, from my perspective is the anemic RoF of the main guns, and not the torpedo armament.

Viribus Unitis

With no buffs to AA and a non-existent suite already on the ship, it should be a no-buy. This ship will at T5 meet T6 carriers, it will be an XP pinata, a free kill. Instead of uptiering the ship it should have been balanced at T4.

Instead it will be dead on arrival no matter how you tweak it. Another wasted effort like Le Terrible.

And a ship not mentioned, Exeter.

This ship should be moved to T6 and balanced there. It has been commissioned long after other T5 cruisers and is clearly superior to them in design.

The recent development of premium ship shows that WG is going in the wrong direction. New premiums like Le Terrible, Prizn Eitel Friedrich, and Vanguard, generate mostly negative reactions both in the forum and in the game. No one plays Vanguard and Le Terrible.

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

[...]

Cruiser moved to tier IX. This reallocation will allow the ship to feel more comfortable in battle.

Certain values have been adjusted to to reflect the tier change:

• Secondary Armament firing range reduced to 5 km;
  • Hit points reduced from 71 800 to 58 350;
  • The armor of the central section reduced from 30 to 25 mm, as this was a special feature of the ship at tier X;
  • Removed consumable "Hydroacoustic search";
  • Main battery reload increased from 18 to 20 sec;
  • Accuracy has been changed to resemble that of standard cruisers (such as the Dm. Donskoi or Roon) instead of 'super' cruisers.

The removing of the "Hydroacoustic search" consumable will emphasize the role of destroyers as one of the main opponents of large cruisers.

At the same time, the new accuracy parameter will distinguish Azuma from other similar cruisers (Stalingrad, Kronstadt, Alaska), giving the cruiser a feature of Japanese cruisers - good accuracy compared to her classmates and rivals.

Azuma.jpg

An obvious change ... after all, Stalingrad isn't supposed to have competion, oh no!

I really, REALLY don't understand that decision. When the initial test stats for the tier X Azuma were released on the DevBlog people said it didn't really compare to the other supercruiser at tier X which is the Stalingrad and looked more fitting for tier IX. Now they move her to tier IX but it comes with a slew of nerfs that can only be considered crippling to its survivability, just to counterbalance the normal cruiser accuracy which seems to stem from the necessity of distinguishing her from the Kronshtadt and the upcoming Alaska that she'd directly compete with rather than any other balancing concern.

What it already had to make it distinct from the Stalingrad at tier X was much better concealment, which would allow the ship to be played in a more free-roaming flanking position than compared to the typical static Stalingrad gameplay.

Also, the complete concept of the new tier IX design is a literal glasscannon with amazingly accurate guns with a heavy punch, but with 13k less HP and only 25mm central hull armour that ship is going to be eaten alive by every BB it could face since their AP will simply overmatch the hull and then plunge straight into the octagonal citadel (with the sole exceptions being the Lyon and Scharnhorst that can't overmatch 25mm). The removal of the hydro also means that the free-roaming, flanking gameplay won't work as soon as there's an opposing DD involved (but then again, free-roaming gamestyles will very quickly fall out of fashion with the new CVs anyway).

I'd really love to hear why the Azuma couldn't be made to work at tier X.

On the other hand, at least I suppose that makes it less likely she'll only be available via Steel then. Might be free XP the same as the Kronshtadt/Alaska, which at the very least makes her more affordable to more players.

• Cool 7

Players
2,420 posts
15,503 battles
20 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

No one plays Vanguard and Le Terrible.

The cost of tier 8 premiums is crazy now everyone has silver/gold tier 9 and 10s.

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
370 posts
2,921 battles
1 hour ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It is a fat target with bad armor.

Don't you realize the guns will be way better with standard cruiser accuracy? 

Ship is definitely more interesting now. 

Easy to play you mean?

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles
2 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

The cost of tier 8 premiums is crazy now everyone has silver/gold tier 9 and 10s.

Price is one of the reasons, but not the only one.

There are good and interesting premium BBs and DDs at T8. Kidd and LoYang, Massachusetts and Roma. But Vanguard and Terrible offer nothing, they aren't interesting gameplay wise and they aren't decent at what they do.

Vanguard could have been an accurate and tanky gun platform like Warspite, instead it's a weak sister that has no punch and can't tank. Le Terrible has had a great concept, but without an exit strategy it's like a boxer that can only bleed on his gloves when the hits are coming.

[XTREM]
Players
3 posts
5,674 battles

it was only interesting to me because i already could imagin how it could work in CB's next season... now that went down the toilet.. we really dont need another t9 premium ... 

• Cool 3

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,435 posts
4,400 battles

This is the most xxxxxx decision WG ever made!  ( Ok, ok, WG did some many other xxxxxx decisions too....:Smile_glasses:

• Funny 2

WG Staff
141 posts
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

An obvious change ... after all, Stalingrad isn't supposed to have competion, oh no!

Eh...no, end she will definitely have more and more competition in the future, but we believe Azuma may have better chances of being a good tier IX than a good tier X (if we still want to stay more or less reasonable with tweaks). But hey, this is what testing for. Technically we CAN do whatever we want with any ship, but sometimes it's really better to change tier than to go overboard with ship's specs.

P.S. Stalingrad is not a sacred cow, nor is she as OP as some people think. She will most likely have some more changes in the future, though - after 080 is settled. 

• Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
21 minutes ago, Sub_Octavian said:

Eh...no, end she will definitely have more and more competition in the future, but we believe Azuma may have better chances of being a good tier IX than a good tier X (if we still want to stay more or less reasonable with tweaks). But hey, this is what testing for. Technically we CAN do whatever we want with any ship, but sometimes it's really better to change tier than to go overboard with ship's specs.

P.S. Stalingrad is not a sacred cow, nor is she as OP as some people think. She will most likely have some more changes in the future, though - after 080 is settled. 

You saw my comment, good.

Any chance of getting a comment on the part that wasn't a single sentence of cynicism? Like how the Azuma was uncomfortable at tier X and how it's seemingly easier to try and rebalance her for tier IX with two direct competitors than making her work at tier X where she only has to distinguish herself from one? Because that's the more interesting part of my comment I think.

Like, how underperforming was the Alaska that you imply only unreasonable tweaks would make her work (or what you'd consider as unreasonable tweaks)?

I have my own opinion about the tier X Azuma and yes I believe her previous iteration was falling short, but not to a degree that she couldn't get tweaked within reasonable limits. Better dispersion (not quite normal cruiser dispersion mind you), the addition of 2x4 torpedo launchers, an improved heal to help with survivability to compensate for its weaker hull armour (more susceptible to HE) and Yamato-styled octagonal citadel (dem cheek cits) as a couple off the top of my head examples (not necessarily all of those at the same time, obviously).

• Cool 1

Modder
4,001 posts
7,112 battles
23 minutes ago, Sub_Octavian said:

She will most likely have some more changes in the future

So, she will finally get:

• the british super heal and
  • torpedos for self defense

Both she is lacking up to now!

• Funny 1

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,881 posts
7,155 battles
33 minutes ago, Sub_Octavian said:

Any comments on Azuma's shellweight?
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_122-50.php

I dont see the logic behind a bigger gun (310mm vs 305mm) having a considerably lighter shell (449kg vs 517/471/467kg). So Im just wondering if this is a bug, typo or has some other explaination behind it?

From what I understand, a heavier shell would result in better pen and AP/HE alpha. So fixing it might be a way to better balance Azuma to the competition on tier 10, not to mention adding torps to Azuma is a very reasonable way to buff her, both in terms of historical accuracy and within the established national flavor of japanese ships ingame.

[-CIA-]
Players
145 posts
16,288 battles

WG stop ruining your game pls....pls

• Cool 1