You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Europizza

Whats the point of the long re-spawn timer of spotter plane consumable?

15 comments in this topic

[-GOD-]
Players
121 posts
13,228 battles

The spotter planes consumable that help extend the ships gun range temporarily has always been a mystery to me (over 3 years now). I'm bad with it, and I feel I'm in a never-learning-loop due to the way the spotter plane consumable is handled. Aiming with it is different and needs practice. The consumable has a weird long re-spawn value that keeps me from getting more practice time. Take my Murmansk: 360 sec reload for the consumable. That means i can launch one ever 6 minutes up to a total of 24 minutes because I have 4 consumables. Isn't the standard match length 20 minutes? Whats up with this?

My main issue is that I don't get enough practice time to git gud with it. I usually get 1 or 2 uses in a round for a total practice session of 200 seconds. because not every situation calls for this consumable, and not every use gets it's full 100 secs of potential use because ships fall off detection etc. And since I suck at it and don't enjoy the consumable I avoid slotting it whenever possible. Which keeps me uneducated.

Why is the timer on the consumable A. Broken because extending beyond the actual round time and B. So limited and restricted in its frequency instead of it's number of uses?

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
15,357 posts
11,035 battles
  • not everyone uses superintendent
  • It is a temporary bonus and not a permanent increase in gun range

[TTT]
Players
3,937 posts
7,767 battles

Don't worry! Soontm  WG will have your Spotter Plane Practice needs covered, at the low price of an upcoming T7 Premium Cruiser called the Lazo, which only has something like 15s of cooldown on its Spotter Plane consumable!*

*at least as per the last iteration of the ship that went into testing; I dont recall seeing too many complaints about it balance wise so it might just be a question of when WG can fit it into their release schedule...

Weekend Tester
873 posts
4,665 battles

So people don't camp at 25km and snipe cruisers and destroyers the whole game.

I personally don't use them at all. I find them to be the most useless things in the game.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Spotter planes are mostly used for lobbing stuff that are either smoke camping or island camping. The higher viewing angle helps you be more precise.

Also you aim exactly the same as you do normally. It's actually no different, don't let the changed angle fool you. 

Beta Tester
2,064 posts
2,249 battles
21 hours ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

I personally don't use them at all. I find them to be the most useless things in the game.

I've always kinda preferred the fighter planes. They protect from CV attacks, and they pitch in with spotting incoming torpedoes and destroyers. They also help with peeking over islands that I'm planning to sail around. On top of that, they look cool when they fly around your ship with a badass attitude. When you're sad and lonely on the outskirts of the fleet, when your friends are far away and your enemies are closing in, you've always got your fighter buddy. You launch her into the air, and suddenly you're not alone anymore - she will fight beside you! What's not to like? :Smile_veryhappy:

I'm wondering how this will all change with the new, reworked fighter float planes. From what I've heard, the new fighters will be more like a sort of short-duration counter to a single incoming air attack, than the current multi-role flying li'l helper. I think I'm going to miss that.

And maybe the carrier rework will signal a new era for the spotter planes, as well? Will they fade into obscurity, or enter a new, golden age of opportunity?

• Funny 1

[W-C]
Players
470 posts
2,000 battles
46 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Spotter planes are mostly used for lobbing stuff that are either smoke camping or island camping. The higher viewing angle helps you be more precise.

Also you aim exactly the same as you do normally. It's actually no different, don't let the changed angle fool you. 

Hmmm... in practice I have found you need to aim a bit lower because of the viewing angle... but that might be wrong?!

2 hours ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

Sort of. I don't use them in cruisers, but in BB's they provide 'better' spotting distance/torp spotting (although fighters kind of do this anyway) and make smoke-shooting/island lobbing a piece of cake. Only time I use the 'extra' range is if in end-game chasing the last ship or two and trying to farm a bit more damage.

They make close-quarters aiming a pig though, especially against DD's. Would love to be able to have a 'land' command when finished dealing with the target you launched it for

• Cool 3

Players
963 posts
7,564 battles

I'm much better at judging the movement direction of the target from the spotter plane's vantage point.

Excluding rare cases like the Warspite (short range, good accuracy) I don't give a :etc_swear: about the range extension.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,275 posts
12,164 battles

Apart from the fact that the spotter plane recycle time is indeed to short too shoot all the ships camping in smoke and/or behind isles, the one improvement I would really like to see is a normal vision / spotter vision toggle when the plane is up. Rarely use it just to increase range...

• Cool 1

Players
56 posts
738 battles

Maybe mine is a newbie answer, but for the long respawn when a spotter plane comes back to ship it needs to be hauled out of the water, placed back on its gantry, then refuelled. Perhaps WG is modelling some sort of realism, even if in real life it is an unrealistically short time?

• Funny 1

Players
262 posts
5,093 battles

With premium consumable spotting aircraft 2 the reload is reduced from 360 secs to 240 secs

Jack of all trades will shorten reload of all consumables by 5% (If u are in a british BB Jack Dunkirk is 10%)

[AS13]
Players
2,197 posts
2,232 battles
1 hour ago, Ronchabale said:

With premium consumable spotting aircraft 2 the reload is reduced from 360 secs to 240 secs

Jack of all trades will shorten reload of all consumables by 5% (If u are in a british BB Jack Dunkirk is 10%)

Also, if it gets shot down the counter will start over and you can use all four.

I even use the 'have two planes' option on some ships, because it often DOES get shot down!

It's handy on New Mex and Arizona... every day I play at least one poor cruiser gets devstriked.

[-GOD-]
Players
121 posts
13,228 battles
19 hours ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

A limit on the number of uses total combined with an up time limit can prevent that behavior. Make it a true situational tool by setting a shorter up time and allow a shorted re-spawn time, while limiting the total number to 2 or 3. Currently it seems so useless , which is why I do what you do: never slot them given a choice or ignore them when a ship has them mandatory.

18 hours ago, Negativvv said:

I'll try that aiming tip thanks!

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,813 posts
5,688 battles

-Look over terrain so you can see how they're angling/turning

-Pinpoint exactly where someone in smoke is firing from

-Spot something on the other side of an island

-Get comedy fires on a BB very early in the game before anyone else is in range

-Reset a different cap (e.g. be at A, reset C)

-Finish off low HP ship that is running away and thinks its out of range of everyone

-Get cheeky broadside shots on someone who isnt angling against you because they think you're too far away.

Spotter plane has loads of uses

[-GOD-]
Players
121 posts
13,228 battles
13 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

-Look over terrain so you can see how they're angling/turning

-Pinpoint exactly where someone in smoke is firing from

-Spot something on the other side of an island

-Get comedy fires on a BB very early in the game before anyone else is in range

-Reset a different cap (e.g. be at A, reset C)

-Finish off low HP ship that is running away and thinks its out of range of everyone

-Get cheeky broadside shots on someone who isnt angling against you because they think you're too far away.

Spotter plane has loads of uses

Great ideas. I agree, that's why I find the long re-spawn times weird.