You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MistaBoo

Aircraft Torpedoes - Have they been reworked?

10 comments in this topic

[RNSF]
Players
78 posts
2,346 battles

I know that when your attack planes are in the air they do crazy things like fly through mountains etc but have torps been reworked to do the same?

I was always under the impression the tops had an arming phase and they needed a fair bit of room to drop, arm and then explode on hit.

In a game a few minutes ago i was recovering behind a mountain after going head to head with two BB's.

The Torpedo bombers came towards me from the mountain side and turned away as if they dropped their torps. 

Im thinking i am ok as im only a ships breadth from the mountain.

Imagine my surprise when 4 torps appear from nowhere and bladder me.

Ive attached a picture to show the distance i was from mountain. 

Its possible i was too far from the mountain but i dont think i was.

Cheers.

shot-19.01.27_11.58.33-0146.jpg

[CATS]
Players
15,357 posts
11,035 battles

No.

There is space enough.

And asking the question four days BEFORE an announced rework....

[RNSF]
Players
78 posts
2,346 battles
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

No.

There is space enough.

So what is the math behind it?

Players
4,024 posts
7,542 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

No.

There is space enough.

Better late than never ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In rework planes legitimately fly over islands, which also change drop time (time spend by bomb/torpedo/rocket mid air) as planes come off higher altitude, so more lead is needed to account for that. Line of sight also matter now, so you can't spot planes over taller mountains and vice versa, while TB can carry out surprise attacks around islands as they lower altitude during attack run

• Cool 1

[RNSF]
Players
78 posts
2,346 battles
15 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Better late than never ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In rework planes legitimately fly over islands, which also change drop time (time spend by bomb/torpedo/rocket mid air) as planes come off higher altitude, so more lead is needed to account for that. Line of sight also matter now, so you can't spot planes over taller mountains and vice versa, while TB can carry out surprise attacks around islands as they lower altitude during attack run

So in essence the rework will make it more realistic than it is just now?

Thanks

Players
4,024 posts
7,542 battles
2 minutes ago, MistaBoo said:

Thanks

Realistic in terms of plane behavior - slightly more. But then CV won't be able to use entire squadron at once, which means repeated attacks, usually focused on stacking DoT. AA is also entirely reworked

tl'dr still arcade as fock, while CV no longer will nuke you, CV will constantly harass you with attacks while AA will counter less skilled players unless your team form up one massive blob of flak.

• Cool 1

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles
24 minutes ago, MistaBoo said:

Yes.

Post re-work there will be aircraft carriers and targets, just like IRL.

• Funny 2

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,599 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, MistaBoo sagte:

The Torpedo bombers came towards me from the mountain side and turned away as if they dropped their torps. 

Im thinking i am ok as im only a ships breadth from the mountain.

Imagine my surprise when 4 torps appear from nowhere and bladder me.

Ive attached a picture to show the distance i was from mountain. 

Its possible i was too far from the mountain but i dont think i was.

Most CV players use the captain skill Torpedo Acceleration. It helps hitting faster ships, but also increases the arming distance of torpedoes, because it's actually an arming time. I think it was 3 seconds, but don't quote me on that ^^

So a possible explanation might be that this player was not using this skill, leading to a surprisingly short arming distance.

But it's for sure that there was no torpedo rework yet.

• Cool 1

Players
776 posts
12,491 battles

It's a bit stretched but yes, doable with a perpendicular manual drop lacking TA or slightly oblique, either manual with it or auto without (this one ironically would require even more angle due to the extra dropping distance). It's hard to say what the safe margin is against such a drop but, in general, if you can fit more than one and a half average DD's length between you and the island then you're at risk.

5 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Most CV players use the captain skill Torpedo Acceleration. It helps hitting faster ships, but also increases the arming distance of torpedoes, because it's actually an arming time. I think it was 3 seconds, but don't quote me on that ^^

So a possible explanation might be that this player was not using this skill, leading to a surprisingly short arming distance.

But it's for sure that there was no torpedo rework yet.

Considering the amount of newbie and/or almost stock CVs I've seen up to T8 (no AS, stock planes...), it shouldn't be surprising if someone selected something else (e.g., ERG) instead of TA as the 2-points skill, or is using a captain that either can't be re-specced at the moment or wasn't intended for carriers, while going through a rushed grind in preparation for the incoming rework.

Salute.