Bird_Dog

Recomended videos/tutorials?

8 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
139 battles

Hey, I've ben dipping my toes in this game a little to see if it's something I want to invest more time into.

Like when I startet WoT years ago and begann on the british medium tanks, here I started with the british cruisers (and since then I heard that they are not cosiderd the most newbie-friendly line to start with).

Might go with the american cruisers for a while. We'll see.

My question is - as the title sugests - are there a few videos or other tutorials (preferably in english or german) out that would be worth watching/reading to get a better idea of what I'm suposed to do and to shorten the learning curve (for example, my gunnery sucks hard).
I supose I could just go search for them, but given my lack of knowledge, I would find it impossible to tell valid information appart from the organic fertilizer. So a few pointers would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

Players
98 posts

for game in general  (mechanics etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+of+warships+academy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8eFAFWZF0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUtc7-kXf5U

for particular and specific ships just search here how to play (but ignore clips older than one year)

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheesec4t/videos

Players
1,278 posts
9,723 battles

Aiming yout guns (and torpedoes for that matter) is mostly something you need to practice. There are few really worthwhile tutorials on that, it comes over time, you need to keep at it. Try to watch the shell impacts and reflect on them when you have a chance. But try not to tunnelvision on these things, because the danger is you get caught up and lose sight of things of more immediate concern and the general battle situation.

EDIT: and of course you can buy a Yubari real quick because that ship's shells actually really hit what you were aiming at... so that helps with the learning how to aim.

You can make it easier on yourself by going for easier shots instead of insisting to shoot hard-to hit targets.

The best tutorials on YT are imho by a guy named Flamu. Search his channel for the words "low tier" first and watch what comes up. I think he had a few words on what some "easy shots" are in the New York guide. He doesn't do very low tiers though as he mostly finds anything below tier V boring, but there are a few exceptions which are very much worthwhile, like the Tenryu video, as well as results of his "Tech Tree Thursday" Twitch stream like the longish video on the German destroyer line.

Be aware though that many ships have been nerfed over time, others have been buffed and several important game mechanics have been changed. So when "stealth shooting" is mentioned in older videos - that's been abolished, and also the "smoke firing penalty" has been introduced, meaning that your concealment still goes up even when firing from behind a smoke cloud, only not by as much as it does out in the open. This in turn means it makes not as much sense to smoke up BBs any more. You can check these values for your own ship by pressing H in battle. (Check the team line-ups by holding the Tab key.)

Other than that, my suggestion is to not fixate on any single line quite yet but try different things in the low tiers first, where new ships really unlock very quickly. Try some battleships (doesn't really matter which), as well as the US, IJN and German destroyer lines. That way, you get a better idea for what your opponents are up to. This is not the least because this game is about to be flipped on its head by the aircraft carrier rework, which will lead to inevitable chaos at least through the month of February, and what new ship ideas have transpired also sound fairly broken and crazy (Russian BBs), so just better don't get too invested in anything at this stage. EDIT: And whatever you do, for Christ's sake DON'T spend any money on it yet, because chances are it's becoming really unfun.

(And when you start wondering why you keep getting killed so quickly, install a program called "Matchmaking Monitor" and marvel in wonder at some guys on the other team with hundreds of battles in low tier ships and winrates of 60 or even 80%.)

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,599 battles

Some more links I can recommend:

German tutorial for newcomers by Allied_Winter https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-nM2szeDNZIKD6Q9NiWkA/videos

Two competent German streamers https://www.twitch.tv/coliasolo and https://www.twitch.tv/privatepinguin

The international project HelpMe for information and advice from some of the best players https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/100646-presenting-the-project-help-me-players-helping-players/

Players
2 posts
139 battles

Thanks for the answers. Haven't watched all those vids yet and I'm not sure I will, but it gives me an idea where to look.

Zitat

Aiming yout guns (and torpedoes for that matter) is mostly something you need to practice. There are few really worthwhile tutorials on that, it comes over time, you need to keep at it. Try to watch the shell impacts and reflect on them when you have a chance. But try not to tunnelvision on these things, because the danger is you get caught up and lose sight of things of more immediate concern and the general battle situation.

Agreed. I think one of the vids did help a bit with some details on leading, but yea, experience will be the key. And, tunnelvisioning is a bit of an issue for me, not just in this game. Bad habits are hard to train out...

Zitat

Other than that, my suggestion is to not fixate on any single line quite yet but try different things in the low tiers first, where new ships really unlock very quickly. Try some battleships (doesn't really matter which), as well as the US, IJN and German destroyer lines.

Good point. Wasn't planing on racing up on line anyway. I got the american and german T3 cruiser, the british T4, a tin can and a battleship. I'm going to ignore the carriers for now though.

While I can see the fun in destroyers, it's the cruisers that interest me the most atm.

Zitat

EDIT: And whatever you do, for Christ's sake DON'T spend any money on it yet, because chances are it's becoming really unfun.

O-kay... I haven't spent any, and wasn't realy planing to until I had some more play time to descide if it's worth it anyway, but that sounds ominous...

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,233 posts
6,522 battles
17 hours ago, Bird_Dog said:

Hey, I've ben dipping my toes in this game a little to see if it's something I want to invest more time into.

Like when I startet WoT years ago and begann on the british medium tanks, here I started with the british cruisers (and since then I heard that they are not cosiderd the most newbie-friendly line to start with).

My question is - as the title sugests - are there a few videos or other tutorials (preferably in english or german) out that would be worth watching/reading to get a better idea of what I'm suposed to do and to shorten the learning curve (for example, my gunnery sucks hard).
I supose I could just go search for them, but given my lack of knowledge, I would find it impossible to tell valid information appart from the organic fertilizer. So a few pointers would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My Advice that I wanna give you: Even after 1000 battles you will might learn something about this game, which will improve your perfomance. :)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles
On 1/27/2019 at 3:01 AM, Bird_Dog said:

Thanks in advance.

You're right: the RN cruisers are very much not a 'first' line (very vulnerable, and lots of consumables to manage); if you're liking the guns/torps mix, perhaps try the IJN line - they're pretty decent hybrids, but more robust than the RN line, and they get both gun ammo types (The US line loses its torps at T6, so is essentially a pure gunnery line). Don't sell any existing RN cruisers though - the line is great fun when you've got a bit more experience.

Normally, I would also suggest playing both DDs and BBs as well as cruisers (at least until mid-tiers), to get a sense of how the other classes work; besides making you a more rounded player, it'll help you understand and protect against whatever those classes are trying to do to you. I say 'normally' as major changes are about to be launched (Thursday, I think); these changes are initially going to be unbalanced (by WG's own admission), and it looks like the imbalance will *probably* favour the CVs, possibly making most DDs unplayable in the process.

Whilst we won't know definitively until the changes hit, I would suggest avoiding playing any DDs that see CVs (so, almost all of them; the few with decent AA are all higher tier), expect to get slaughtered by the initial incarnation of CVs at higher tiers (so stay low tier), and be aware that the meta will probably change a lot over the next few months.

My personal view is that the game balance will probably return to normal (whatever the new normal turns out to be) in about three months (+/-), and there will probably still be plenty of fun to be had in the game until then - coop mode, Ops, and things like Ranked and Clans for higher tiers.

The reason I mention all that is that there is a good chance that a lot of the 'how to' guides will be rendered obsolete by the changes (anything to do with CVs, aircraft consumables, as well as a lot of general play style guides); on the up-side, for a newbie, everyone is having to re-learn the game at the same time, which will reduce the skill gap a bit (although shooting ships with big guns will basically remain at the core of it all).

In terms of the basics though, I would search for iChase's Captains Academy series on YouTube (Start here: 

)

The one on aiming (and how to configure your aiming interface) is very useful, for example...

A final note: do you play WOT as well? With Frontline coming back, it may well be that the path of least aggravation (unless you're very keen on playing CVs) might be to play WOT for the next month or two, and come back to WOWS when the worst of the chaos has subsided. Please don't misunderstand: WOWS and the associated community is usually pretty good for newbies, but it looks like some elements of the next patch have been either badly thought out, or simply aren't ready yet - it'll take a while to sort whatever problems there are out, so you might have a better experience (and enjoy yourself more) if you aren't trying to learn the game in the midst of all this.

Keep an eye on this forum once the patch goes live on Thursday - it should be fairly obvious pretty quickly how bad/good the changes are.