Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Free captain respec one week isn't enough

Major update 0.8  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a grace month of free captain respec and significantly reduced refit cost of ships to improve testing/balancing in next update?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
    • Biased poll

42 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
3,073 posts
12,373 battles

Next update will likely throw the game into a pretty unbalanced state. Cv rework and new skills, maybe radar changes as well?

I know we'll be given a free captain respec, but given the changes and the amount of ships in the game, you're going to need an extended period and probably a bunch of credits to understand and set up the ships for a 'new meta'.

An extended period of captain respec is a given imo, but personally I think a credit handout or a severely reduced module cost probably would benefit this rework too. Just to increase the amount of people trying out different builds in a shorter time frame.

I'm not overly invested in how they do this, but if WG goes the cheap route, I personally will reset my captains and play a few select ships until the meta settles. I'm not opposed to this, but I won't be able to contribute to the balancing to the same degree. I suspect this goes for a lot of more casual players.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,354 battles

I think 1 week of unlimited respec is enough.

1) few CVs: same build as before

2) avg 1 CV per game: 1-2 AA modules/skills

3) 2-3 CV per game: you will take most of the AA skills and modules

dog_on_fire.thumb.jpg.4ce5f28ddb929681aedfee1036be6171.jpg

• Funny 3

[UNICS]
Players
3,073 posts
12,373 battles
26 minutes ago, kfa said:

Really..? That simple to predict how the changes will affect gameplay? Plenty of ships to respec in one week too..

I suspect plenty of rebalance is coming this spring. Should be interesting.

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
370 posts
2,921 battles

Not everyone can play in that 1 week. A month gives a good opportunity to let people play a few battles with different ships, especially for those that cannot play 24/7.

How long did we had to play with or against the current CVs? A month sounds reasonable...

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
1,841 posts
12,458 battles
39 minutes ago, kfa said:

And ofc the meta in the first week will remain the same for months. People will not all start playing CVs and flood the MM with it :cap_old:

But WG probably disagrees with OP:

Those who play on cruisers, battleships, and destroyers will go through a similar process, but regardless of the global changes made to aircraft carriers, we tried to impact other ship types as little as possible. While adapting them to the new mechanics, we tried to preserve the unique AA defense parameters for each ship.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,180 posts
6,121 battles

Tbh I'm not gonna change my tank build on most of my BBs as you're gonna be still spammed by HE and a lot of AA will be destroyed due to it. Won't help you a lot. Will keep my AA build on MO, Alabama and NC though. As for some cruisers USN line defo AA build, not sure about Henri IV since I like IFHE build, will see. 

Players
1 post
123 battles

If you don't play enough to get the reset in that week, you probably don't play enough for it to matter too much.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BS4]
Players
828 posts
5,330 battles
14 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

If you don't play enough to get the reset in that week, you probably don't play enough for it to matter too much.

I wasn't aware there was a criteria for the reset?:Smile_amazed:

What if you have a full time job, a family and children to entertain? suddenly a week is nothing my friend.

vehxNdK.gif

If gaming is your work or you belong to this industry then of course a week might be sufficient but depending on just how many changes occur in this next update will more than likely dictate how l9ong we need for some of us IMO. For those that have a lot of ships in port and those that are into collections, I don't see how a week can be sufficient TBH...

• Cool 3

Players
430 posts
4,209 battles

@loppantorkel thank you for making the poll. +1

Given that 0.8.0 will be the de facto beta test for the CV rework, something that WG themselves have essentially admitted (even if they didn't use the specific word "beta") in their livestreams or "Waterline" episodes, I think it would be only reasonable to expect a proper beta treatment. That would mean, at the very least:

• free captain skill respecs for the entire duration of 0.8.0.
  • reduced ship upgrade costs for the entire duration of 0.8.0.
  • free dismounting of upgrades for the duration of 0.8.0.
  • possibly reduced cost of ship modules as well, for the whole of 0.8.0.

That would be the minimum.

Will it have a negative impact on WGs bottom line for that period? Potentially.

But, it would also earn you a lot of positive grace from the players, which would pay you huge dividends in the future. And believe you me, positive grace you'll need a lot of, considering the confusing mess implementation of the rework.

PLUS, it would be the only way you could really assess the balance of powers in the rework. Because as time progresses, the meta is inevitably going to change several times and in order to really see where things will settle down, all players need to have the ability to adapt to the new circumstances.

So how about it @Sub_Octavian?

• Cool 5

[MIRAI]
Players
146 posts
7,828 battles

Public test has already been running for almost a month. In addition to that, you have about week or so until the update, and then will have yet another week to test further on. I don't know how much more testing you'd need. WG is usually generous about these respecs. You're rewarded with a free respec in the beggining of each Clan battles season and at other times when needed. You can test many things even in a single day. There aren't that many skills to test anyway.

Or you could just watch some guides made by certain players and follow them, really.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
5,441 posts
8,981 battles

all captains on all accounts should get reset, so that any player has an unlimited amount of time to respec...simple

• Cool 1

Players
269 posts
12,532 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

As I work away, often with no access to the game for up to four weeks at a time, I guess I'm one of those people for who you believe it doesn't matter much. I'm due away to work the day before the patch hits and won't be back for two weeks. Would be fun for me to have to spend a ton of real money to respec all my ships and captains.

• Cool 2

Players
430 posts
4,209 battles
21 minutes ago, Fubucky said:

Public test has already been running for almost a month. In addition to that, you have about week or so until the update, and then will have yet another week to test further on. I don't know how much more testing you'd need. WG is usually generous about these respecs. You're rewarded with a free respec in the beggining of each Clan battles season and at other times when needed. You can test many things even in a single day. There aren't that many skills to test anyway.

Or you could just watch some guides made by certain players and follow them, really.

1) PT and live server are two very different things. Esp considering, that during PT the teams were mostly composed of bots with the odd player here and there (aside from the CVs)

2) Thing is, over the course of 0.8.0. the meta and gameplay feel will change. So you might see no benefit in speccing into AA during the first weeks, but as people become more accustomed with the new CV controls, investing into AA might become compulsory. Or any other scenario. Therefore it's important to be able to adapt to the new situation during this "final balancing" phase of the CV rework.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
1,971 posts
23,423 battles

I would say that if the options are limited. Do a few free periods say 1 week after every coming 3 patches so we have time to react to the META and also to those who are on vacation etc and do not have time. I have 270+ ships, it is impossible to do this seriously otherwise.

As of now I will probably reset most if not all captains and then play only a few ships, follow the forum discussions etc.

[AS13]
Players
2,242 posts
2,256 battles
59 minutes ago, mrk421 said:

Given that 0.8.0 will be the de facto beta test for the CV rework, something that WG themselves have essentially admitted (even if they didn't use the specific word "beta") in their livestreams or "Waterline" episodes, I think it would be only reasonable to expect a proper beta treatment. That would mean, at the very least:

• free captain skill respecs for the entire duration of 0.8.0.
  • reduced ship upgrade costs for the entire duration of 0.8.0.
  • free dismounting of upgrades for the duration of 0.8.0.
  • possibly reduced cost of ship modules as well, for the whole of 0.8.0.

I think this is clear and well said. 

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
2,242 posts
2,256 battles
38 minutes ago, Fubucky said:

Have you tried it? I have. What I got was all bots and only a few players, when I tried a CV.

And when I tried an Omaha, well I got NO PLAYERS AT ALL. Just bots - and also NO CV. :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
276 posts
5,104 battles
47 minutes ago, Fubucky said:

You can test many things even in a single day. There aren't that many skills to test anyway.

I have 150+ ships, test builds on them in one day ?  have to look up specs/check builds etc. even if I knew what way to spec em Id have to be very fast to get through that even in a week. Add to that working full time job, kids, grandkids etc.

[DC-DK]
Players
2,173 posts
23,916 battles

281 ships in port and a week to find the optimal build for each ship individually.... Yeah right!

Its a huge change and I agree that a full patch of free respec would not only be fair but needed.

[D-O-G]
Players
2 posts
1,709 battles
17 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

I have 150+ ships, test builds on them in one day ?  have to look up specs/check builds etc. even if I knew what way to spec em Id have to be very fast to get through that even in a week. Add to that working full time job, kids, grandkids etc.

I fully agree! Similar situation. To me 1 week is really unfriendly or "we don't understand our customers".

Make it the full 0.8.0 period + 1 respec per captain!

For the players with many ships its costly enough with all the module respecs.

BTW - implying that game will stabilize in a new meta in 1 week is simply silly.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
396 posts

Or you could give X number of resets per captain....

No time limit.

But that will break the income though.

Players
3,657 posts
7,330 battles

I'm not even sure that a month or the full duration of the patch is going to be enough.

WG are going to need many months and patches to "balance" the new game, the optimal build under 0.8.0 could be completely different to the one under 0.8.3.

[NWP]
Players
1,841 posts
12,458 battles
11 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I really don't feel like funding a public beta tbh.

This really, @MrConway @Sub_Octavian

Spoiler

Game balance is always one of the hottest topics. It's important to understand that it's impossible to set up the optimal balance conditions during tests, because the test server has significant differences in comparison to the main server (other game conditions, no statistics, the majority of opponents are bots). Over the course of several months, after the release of reworked carriers, it’s possible that further changes will be made in terms of aircraft parameters and the number and types of squadrons; but rest assured that when we do so, we'll rely on the feedback and support of our players.

• Cool 2

Players
1,284 posts
9,778 battles

Seeing as they probably will keep re-balancing the carriers for half a year or more until they finally scrap them, repeated free respeccs are what is necessary.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this