You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blakenstein131

Why Aren’t All WG Net Games Full Crossplay And Progression

18 comments in this topic

Question

Players
8 posts
716 battles

Well Epic and Fortnite showed the way on this hence why they have a 200 mil player base and expecting ridiculous profits for last year.

Why other gaming companies can’t see this is the way ahead is beyond me. It just smacks of greed and lack of respect for their player bases.

Another great thing Epic did was offer great transparency and total value for money in their season passes.

WG.Net why haven’t you followed their lead, your game was out before theirs and surely the writing is on the wall. What say you?

• Funny 1

17 answers to this question

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,621 battles

Crossplay doesn't work for many games, and these are some of them.

PC players would have a huge advantage because of the accuracy of mouse control. Controllers for X-Box and PS are too limited.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,534 posts
1,097 battles
On 1/26/2019 at 11:12 PM, ZoidFile said:

The console version of WoWs is a completely different game. It has a total different tier system and various ships that are not in the PC version. If I remember right the teams are also smaller.

Correct :)

21 hours ago, Blakenstein131 said:

And you’ve hit my point perfectly. Why were they created different and not aligned like Fortnite.

Yes I have played WOT on PC, Console and mobile version but only PC & mobile for WOWS although I feel the later would transfer even more easily to C&P than WOT. 

Actually what Epic did was adjust some of the mechanics on the console and iPad to offset some of the disadvantages against PC/console, no reason couldn’t be looked at in the same way for WOT or WOWS. They also only implemented crossplay on IPAD and consoles if you went in a mixed party with PC/console that you would come up against PC/console players, quite simple really. The IPAD version is the only one I could sympathise with on crossplay but not progression of inventory and missions but then again you can even get keyboards for tablets?

The big benefit of C&P on Fortnite is your inventory showed across platform meaning you didn’t have to purchase things twice, thrice or even quadruple times as well as encouraging multi platform play and allowing players to touch the game more easily, especially when it comes to season pass completion. The fact it was also F2P and cross progression  was very appealing as well as you not feeling like you have been fleeced.

Games like Fortnite work well on different platforms.

WoWs PC would be wwwaaayyy too slow for the general mobile audience and also needs a very distinct difference and change in gameplay feel and experience for console to appeal to console players.

Sure, some players might like the PC version even if we were to copy-paste (which is not as simple honestly) to mobile and console, but it wouldn't work like that. So the only thing that would maybe work would be to create the mobile game and port it to console and PC, which would remove a lot of things PC players like about their version of WoWs.

As you said, games like Fortnite are faster and more "flashy". They appeal to a completely different audience and the game is made from the ground up to fit for all platforms, while WoWs PC is PC first, WoWs Legends is console first and WoWs Blitz is made for mobile.

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
716 battles

Well a lot of people said it wouldn’t work for Fortnite also but it did.

Fact is a good player will be a good player on whatever platform they are proficient on. That argument holds no water after fortnite. Epic also built in a function that you did not play with PC players unless you party with a PC player. Crossplay and progression doesn’t mean you have to always play PC players, it does mean your inventory shows up on whatever platform you play on though.

Why should the player base be forced to rebuy tanks, ships and planes they have already bought on another platform. The whole thing smacks of rinsing players just like EA do with FIFA. It’s just not acceptable moving forward.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
407 posts
7,662 battles
On 1/25/2019 at 11:07 AM, Blakenstein131 said:

Well a lot of people said it wouldn’t work for Fortnite also but it did.

Fact is a good player will be a good player on whatever platform they are proficient on. That argument holds no water after fortnite. Epic also built in a function that you did not play with PC players unless you party with a PC player. Crossplay and progression doesn’t mean you have to always play PC players, it does mean your inventory shows up on whatever platform you play on though.

Why should the player base be forced to rebuy tanks, ships and planes they have already bought on another platform. The whole thing smacks of rinsing players just like EA do with FIFA. It’s just not acceptable moving forward.

They're not the same game for one thing.

WoWS console has ships that dont exist in WoWS PC.

[-MM]
Players
450 posts
8,597 battles

The console version of WoWs is a completely different game. It has a total different tier system and various ships that are not in the PC version. If I remember right the teams are also smaller.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
6,373 battles
On 1/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Blakenstein131 said:

Well Epic and Fortnite showed the way on this hence why they have a 200 mil player base and expecting ridiculous profits for last year.

So you're saying that they didn't already have a large playerbase before they introduced crossplay? Because I can guarantee you it wasn't this that made them so popular.

Fortnite is more of a kids' game with it's flashy cartoony visuals and presentation. It appeals to the "squeekers" and I for one like the fact that wows is a more slow paced game which is why the community here is much more grown up compared to most other games.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, Blakenstein131 said:

Fact is a good player will be a good player on whatever platform they are proficient on.

Lel, good one. Why am I amazing at wows then but suck at wot? I mean the two games play about as similarly as wows and wows:legends (that's the console version btw). Someone is good at something because they're used to it. A fact is a good player will most likely get confused if you change controls of a game completely and might never be as good. Controlers simply aren't as accurate as keyboards and a mouse.

Players
8 posts
716 battles

I am not trying to rotate this debate around Epic vs WGN, what I am trying to point out is crossplay and progression is the way ahead for all online games.

Rather than looking for differences of why it won’t work people should be asking why are they not aligned and why couldn’t it work?  Wouldn’t people who play on PC like to play on Switch if they were away from home or if you play on one of the consoles but you had your laptop with you away from home you could jump on etc etc.

I notice HiRez studios is now trying to implement this with Paladins and Smite, sure these games don’t appeal to all but notable that HIRez are pursuing this route, naturally it extends the longevity of their games which is a good thing for any games company’s and its playing community.

Having to purchase the same goods if you want to play on different platforms is just wrong. Sure Fortnite had a big player base before crossplay but it gre w exponentially after it. For example my kids play Fortnite and when they go down to their Gran’s they can take the Switch set it up in two mins on her TV and WiFi and away they go, it even plays surprisingly well off a phone hotspot. Likewise if they are on the IPad and they fancy a quick go they can. One of them just switched to Xbox from PS4 because of his mates at school and he was very happy all his inventory carried over and he can still play with his brother on PS4. This is the flexibility crossplay and progression opens up.

Lastly I am 49 and I don’t mind the cartoony graphics on Fortnite I also know plenty of adults that play it, guess I am a squeaker :) At the same time I play WOT and WOW on a few platforms as well as various other strategy games shooters and FIFA. I am sure if a 49 year old can adapt to the varied controls anyone can.

I am not expecting WGN to say they will enable crossplay and progression overnight but it would be nice if the came on and said they are working on it and had some sort of game plan and time frame for it, even if it was just for Xbox, PS4 and possibly Switch initially. PC players shouldn’t become to precious to think console players wouldn’t give them a run for their money. Crossplay can/would also help some PC communities e.g. FIFA where the PC community has a harder time.

People can come on and tell me it can’t work or it’s not the same etc but actually it could be. Hopefully readers of this thread will have food for thought if nothing else.

407 posts
7,662 battles

But they would have to release WoWS again on consoles to offer cross platform because the current consoles versions of the game are a different game.

Cross platforming works best for games that are designed with stuff like controller usage in mind from the start, like fortnite or rocket league or minecraft or whatever.

WoWS PC does not have controller support, it is not designed for use by people using controllers, you can try to use a 3rd party app to keymap a controller but youll find yourself at a significant disadvantage.

Likewise, WoWS Legends is designed for use on consoles, the game is different, the interface is different, the commanders are different, the controls are different, the mechanics are different, it is a different game.

One of the two would have to be rebuilt to match the other to offer cross platform and thats just not going to happen, WG would be throwing away too much development time already invested.

Players
8 posts
716 battles

Everybody said a console player couldn’t beat all the pro PC players at the start of Fortnite but then crossplay came along and that notion was proved wrong. 

You also know you can get keyboards for consoles right? If the console user wanted to?

407 posts
7,662 battles

Have uhhh, you actually played WoWS Blitz or Legends?

Because you're still ignoring the fact that they are not the same game. They do not work the same. Fortnite on PC is the exact same game as Fortnite on consoles, the content is the same, the mechanics are the same, etc.

This is not like cross platform support between xbox Fortnite and PC Fornite, more like why there is not cross platform support between xbox Fortnite and PC Call of Duty. The same is true of WoWS and WoWS Blitz and WoWS Legends, they are not the same game.

To provide a more practical example.

In WoWS PC the Baltimore heavy cruiser is tier 8.

In WoWS Console the Baltimore heavy cruiser is tier 7.

In WoWS Blitz the Baltimore heavy cruiser is tier 9.

How can these games possibly work cross platform as they are?

Players
8 posts
716 battles

And you’ve hit my point perfectly. Why were they created different and not aligned like Fortnite.

Yes I have played WOT on PC, Console and mobile version but only PC & mobile for WOWS although I feel the later would transfer even more easily to C&P than WOT. 

Actually what Epic did was adjust some of the mechanics on the console and iPad to offset some of the disadvantages against PC/console, no reason couldn’t be looked at in the same way for WOT or WOWS. They also only implemented crossplay on IPAD and consoles if you went in a mixed party with PC/console that you would come up against PC/console players, quite simple really. The IPAD version is the only one I could sympathise with on crossplay but not progression of inventory and missions but then again you can even get keyboards for tablets?

The big benefit of C&P on Fortnite is your inventory showed across platform meaning you didn’t have to purchase things twice, thrice or even quadruple times as well as encouraging multi platform play and allowing players to touch the game more easily, especially when it comes to season pass completion. The fact it was also F2P and cross progression  was very appealing as well as you not feeling like you have been fleeced.

Players
4,051 posts
7,560 battles
14 hours ago, Blakenstein131 said:

Because Wargaming is no longer single "dev team", since World of Tanks initial success they expanded and acquired multiple smaller development studios across the world. And if you want crossplay, World of Tanks Blitz have it, so you can prove pcmasterrace over mobile plebs, which is not even funny at times

Players
8 posts
716 battles
4 hours ago, Panocek said:

Because Wargaming is no longer single "dev team", since World of Tanks initial success they expanded and acquired multiple smaller development studios across the world. And if you want crossplay, World of Tanks Blitz have it, so you can prove pcmasterrace over mobile plebs, which is not even funny at times

So your saying nobody co-ordinates things within the company? 

I really dont have clue what your trying to say after that point.

Players
8 posts
716 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Just get everyone on pc, consoles are a pointless waste of 1980s computer parts anyways...

Ahhh a constructive contributor LOL.

Players
1,468 posts
3,725 battles
7 hours ago, Blakenstein131 said:

So your saying nobody co-ordinates things within the company? 

I really dont have clue what your trying to say after that point.

Think of it more like how Nintendo does not techinically make Fire Emblem, Kirby or Pokemon games.

All three are actually made by smaller companies that exist under the umbrella of 'Nintendo'. (If you're curious; they are Intelligent Systems, Hal Laboratories and Game Freak respectively)

All three are made independently of Ninty's direct invovlement, mainly receiving guidance and exclusivity under their wing. You can think of WG's relationship to the creators of WoWS, WoWS Blitz and WoWS Legends as being similar to the above (a note: all three games under the 'WoWS' banner are made by different developer studios).

If you're unfamiliar with Nintendo, Sony has a similar relationship with Naughty Dog (Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter and Uncharted series), Insomniac (Spyro and Ratchet and Clank) and a few others that don't spring to mind right now...

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII

Players
8 posts
716 battles

Okay I’ll accept on face value the games across the multiple platforms are too different but is there any reason XBox and PS4 could not be joined for C&P, is that too big an ask? Surely it would be good for the console community , the game and WGN.

[-AP-]
Players
725 posts
2,857 battles

Just get everyone on pc, consoles are a pointless waste of 1980s computer parts anyways...