You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

SMS Kolberg at the Battle of Dogger Bank - Ship Stories - Discussion Thread

5 comments in this topic

[CR-S]
Players
351 posts
18,654 battles

Kolberg is a ship with a truly interesting history, fighting several battles against the Brits and the Russians, surviving the war and serving the French.

In Wows it serves as an annoying obstacle on the way to the top-tier ships. You have to be some history-nerd (like me) to consider it interesting. Like the SMS Emden: everyone i know in-game has sold the little ship immediately after getting it for free :(   The port slot is considered more worthy than the ship itself. (I kept her)

I think that´s sad, but it´s the way Wows works for most players. A hats-off to the devs for this article tho!

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
Players
3,304 posts
11,609 battles

Speaking of Kolberg as a class, there was SMS Augsburg which received 6x1 150mm guns and 2 deck mounted torpedo tubes. Would be an interesting T3 premium.

Spoiler

sms_augsburg_1910-07017.jpg

PS: I've kept the Kolberg.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
13 posts
6,670 battles

Is there more to the story - it feels like some stuff has been missed off, it just says the royal navy made their move (without saying what that was) and then the Kolberg bumped into aurora and everyone ran away. But in the description it says the battle went on for hours so this seems rather brief (although I suppose it could be accurate)

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
102 posts
5,273 battles

Kolberg felt like a downgrade from Dresden.  Yes it's slightly better, but the fact it is a tier higher means it faces tougher enemies and it's much weaker than St Louis at the same tier.  However in addition to targetting DDs both Kolberrg and Dresden are just fine for setting fires on CLs and BBs.  They may lack alpha strike with their little guns but they have a rate of fire that makes setting fires decent, and the high arcs help to keep them safe while doing that.  Sort of mini-atlantas.

I kept Emden mostly for its history even though Dresden is stronger than it, although  I never sell premiums (they'll just reappear the next time you get a lucky SC)