his_dudenes

Collections. What are they for?

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4 posts
394 battles

Hello😊

I am just starting wows, havent played since beta. What is the point of colections? Just got some belle epoque crates as compensstion...from what I can see it gives a few days premium and some flags if u complete the colection... is it just an expensive way to get premium time og what? 

Sry if this is a noob question, but I am a noob after all, so please be nice😉

Beta Tester
4 posts
394 battles

Thx for reply. But they are not free are they? Maybe its just not for me these collections😊 seems better to just spend money on premium time, so thats why I did not get the point of them(the flags is what u r getting free?)

[CATS]
Players
15,239 posts
11,004 battles
1 minute ago, his_dudenes said:

Thx for reply. But they are not free are they? Maybe its just not for me these collections😊 seems better to just spend money on premium time, so thats why I did not get the point of them(the flags is what u r getting free?)

They are/were free.

WG just offers container for old collections, that people can complete them who missed out on some container in the past and they offer paid container for current collections that some people can finish the collections faster.

Players
1,442 posts
3,699 battles

Containers for old collections are available for coal in the 'Arsenal' section on your port screen.

Certain collections allow you to collect items from them randomly in your daily containers, too (you don't need to worry about them taking up constainer slots, they appear as an extra bonus).

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles

As other said, collections often contain free goodies that can be quite useful, like captains or permacamo (apart from needing no credits to refresh, permacamo reduces the credit cost of playing the ship, increases exp gains and in some cases increases credit gains) which, or just nice, like second flag or alternate camo scheme. Either way, nothing is lost by trying to complete a collection.

If you need containers after the collection ended, WG does offer some containers in the arsenal for coal. While they cost no insignificant amount of coal, this can be worth it, as some collections give you really cool things that are on par with other stuff you get in the arsenal. Currently, four collections are offered in the arsenal and every one of them is, imo, worth it (unless you don't play corresponding ships):

• Hunt for Bismarck is likely the least useful, as it gives you a permacamo for Bismarck upon completion. If you like Bismarck (like me), this saves you doubloons on getting an actual permacamo. If you don't play Bismarck, no need for this one.
  • Dunkirk campaign is useful, because it gives the Jack Dunkirk captain. Jack Dunkirk is an improved British captain, so if you play British BB or CL, Jack Dunkirk is really useful. For British DDs, it's still better than normal, but I'd rather use him on a cruiser or BB.
  • Vive La France is the same for France, giving you a special french captain. Useful on any French ship really.
  • Second Anniversary collection is arguably one of the best colections in terms of what it gives, though it depends if you play those ships. 5 permacamos for Z-23, Charles Martel, New Orleans, Kiev and Monarch. Most of these are ok ships, so if you plan on keeping an and want a permacamo that looks pretty decent, you can get it here.

Other than that, most of the older collections often gave the ability to host 2 flags on a ship or alternate colours on camos for a certain nation. USN cruiser collection and British DD collections gave permacamos, but are still too new for the arsenal. One collection that was great was High School Fleet, as it gave basically a free Yamato permacamo (and T10 permacamos are incredibly useful), but this collection will never return as it's a collab that ran out. It does however highlight how useful collections can be.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,363 posts
6,033 battles

@his_dudenes - you'll probably have worked this out already, but just in case:

• You can trade duplicates for elements of collections you don't have yet (exchange rate varies - usually in the 3-5 to 1 range).
  • Ideally, don't swap any duplicates for missing elements until doing so will complete the entire collection.
  • Basically, the more 'open' slots you have in a collection, the better the odds of a random drop being something you don't already have.

Most of the these collections can be completed for free; however, for those collections that can drop randomly from normal daily containers, some people (me included, if the collection has worthwhile rewards) may buy one initial container from the shop, to get the collection started off as soon as possible, so not having to wait for the first collection-specific container.

Players
48 posts
697 battles

Collections such as the Vive la France can be good value if bought for coal in the Arsenal. In the Arsenal a 10pt French Captain is 35,000 coal if I remember correctly, but you get a 10pt French Captain for 20,000 to maximum 30,000 coal if you buy the Vive le France crates and complete the collection, plus the other stuff you get such as camo and signal flags.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
2,632 battles
11 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Getting stuff for free
  • Motivation to play more

Exactly this.