Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SgtPinback

Playing WoW like WoT

25 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
3,446 battles

One thing I dislike about WoW is players who play like they are in a WoT game.

I mean in reality no warship ever camped and sniped from behind an island.

No warship stopped mid-ocean to fire from the back.

No warship ever went into reverse in a battle.

Warships bomb around at top speed changing course to spoil  firing solutions.

Just bugs me but maybe if I started doing these things I wouldn't find myself alone in front being pounded by the enemy...

• Cool 9
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,432 posts
6,134 battles

I keep trying to hide my DDs in bushes, but the damn beaches/rocks keep stopping me before I can get far enough onto the islands...!

• Funny 18

[HNFC]
Players
88 posts
8,385 battles
30 minutes ago, SgtPinback said:

Me too. And since I play a Warlock, I can easily snipe/nuke any camping/hiding/spamming WoT-like player I choose from behind their cover. Worked out pretty well in this game, too. 

Spoiler

WoWScrnShot_011819_215716.thumb.jpg.6ddfab0aa0bf8317421e93c1b162ea26.jpg

Oh, wait - you mean, WoWS? I feel you. I also like to play in a realistic fashion. More of us should go rescue helpless crews after our kills. Just be sure to warn the enemy team: You mean no harm, nobody shoot please (and anyone named Nobody-something, please do not shoot!), you're just recovering their allied, able-bodied seamen! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Weekend Tester
873 posts
4,667 battles

Warships also took millions to run and operate. I don't see you paying that kind of money....

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles
1 hour ago, SgtPinback said:

All those things other than sniping maybe are valid in game for various ship types...

Don't forget no real CV captain would ever set up "that" close to the enemy when they could launch planes 100km+ away :Smile_trollface:

[ALONE]
Players
1,416 posts
10,917 battles
1 hour ago, SgtPinback said:

Just bugs me but maybe if I started doing these things I wouldn't find myself alone in front being pounded by the enemy...

It could be easily implemented in the game. For example with accuracy penalty when shooting moving target, and with accuracy bonus when shooting reversing or stationary target. 

Radar should not only be screened by islands, but also an island in the background should prevent being detected. But also radar should detect planes from far far away. Visual or sonar detection should depend on speed. And so on so forth..

But the question is, can we talk about "firing solutions" when average Kevin in this game has real problem with hitting a barn from the inside. :cap_cool:

[_OPC_]
Players
408 posts
11,665 battles
20 ore fa, cracktrackflak ha scritto:

WoT is a first person shooter with tank skins; WoWS is a tank game with ship skins....

So true, but beware there are some (plenty of them) that think it is not

19 ore fa, EdiJo ha scritto:

It could be easily implemented in the game. For example with accuracy penalty when shooting moving target, and with accuracy bonus when shooting reversing or stationary target. 

Radar should not only be screened by islands, but also an island in the background should prevent being detected. But also radar should detect planes from far far away. Visual or sonar detection should depend on speed. And so on so forth..

But the question is, can we talk about "firing solutions" when average Kevin in this game has real problem with hitting a barn from the inside:cap_cool:

You just answered yourself ... the average Kevin is only capable of smashing LMB in 30s and use at least 1 key in 10s

... and minimap in ... like the name sugests mini zoom :P

19 ore fa, Srle_Vigilante ha scritto:

Warships also took millions to run and operate. I don't see you paying that kind of money....

you mean battleships the most expensive useless crap ... sure ... of course not in WoWs ...

[TS1]
Players
573 posts
7,618 battles
7 hours ago, EdiJo said:

This would be interesting.

Radar should not only be screened by islands, but also an island in the background should prevent being detected.

Was that always or just if the ship was kinda close to the island? Since radar could detect differences in distances, to a degree.

7 hours ago, morgoroth said:

you mean battleships the most expensive useless crap ... sure ...

They weren't useless. They certainly had a lot of power, but they were just so cost inefficient. I think to the point that the most cost efficient way to use a BB was in most cases to have her sit in port and scare the enemy with her presence as well as boost ally morale. Just something I heard, so I don't know if it's a fact or a factoid.

of course not in WoWs ...

Though some players try their hardest to make it so.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,455 posts
7,841 battles

What about making it more like WoT?

For example you could get accuracy bonus if you stop to fire your guns? That would bring some interesting variables in the game... "Kiting ships" could have less penalty when firing from move etc.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Lol. I love those players on the red team! Hiding behind their islands being utterly useless 90% of the time and peeking out at a very predictable and regular intervals to be farmed at their broadsides. 

• Cool 1

Players
58 posts
761 battles
10 hours ago, SgtPinback said:

In reality warships were used much more conservatively than tanks. If you think camping at the back isn't 'warship like' explain the history of the Tirpitz, or the fact the Yamato spent more time avoiding the enemy than engaging with it. Or that the German High Seas Fleet was deployed once in WW1 then consigned to port. 

The people who camp at the back are playing the game more realistically than those that yolo forward thinking a battleship is the equivalent of an expendable tank. But the game isn't realistic, players use the tools they've got to do the best job they can within the rules, but your complaining that things aren't 'realistic' in WoWs is a total misunderstanding of what realism really is or was.

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
211 posts
2,847 battles

I agree with OP and think all the island humping etc is mental THEN you get Ocean...

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,212 battles
2 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Lol. I love those players on the red team! Hiding behind their islands being utterly useless 90% of the time and peeking out at a very predictable and regular intervals to be farmed at their broadsides. 

Yep, ideal "greetings from comrade stalin" enviroment

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,180 posts
6,121 battles

At OP no wonder you are bad at this game. Obviously keeps same speed, same course and takes all torpedoes/citadels, etc. 

[KAKE]
Players
893 posts
3,175 battles
12 hours ago, EdiJo said:

So, how would you solve it when the target is accelerating? Or suddenly stops (against, say, an island) while shells are in the air? I think a lot of people would be cheesed off if their otherwise perfect firing solution on someone who was heading predictably into an island would be b0rked by the fact that they were traveling at full speed when the shells were fired.

It's rare that there's "easily" anything with a complex software project.

[POTA]
Players
54 posts
4,693 battles

I take offence !!

My name is Kevin and I can hit WASD and LMB as well as most (some) 

Okay I'm fairly crap but I try :cap_horn:

12 hours ago, morgoroth said:

You just answered yourself ... the average Kevin is only capable of smashing LMB in 30s and use at least 1 key in 10s

... and minimap in ... like the name sugests mini zoom :P

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,096 posts
8,839 battles

Hi all,

8 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

I killed so many ships this way...especially with "Spotter Plane" on BB... it is hilarious... :Smile_great:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,137 posts
11,785 battles

Well both games are similar in the sense that you need to use vision mechanics and, if you have bad concealment, you need to position in such a way that you can be shot by as few enemies as possible at any one time.

And both games are essentially governed by the relationship of health traded for damage. Either at an individual level (the damage you take for the damage you do) or at a team level (ships that you lose for enemy ships killed).

You are supposed to take a slow methodical approach and wear down the enemy team while taking as little damage as possible in return. Any damage trade that you take must be beneficial.

What's more both games emphasize defending as the optimal way to play. In Wows, shells are easier to land when kiting away from a target, and torpedoes basically only work if the target is closing in or is broadside. Additionally some of the ships that have the best DPM also have very slow and high shell arcs so naturally they prefer defending.

In WoT, concealed TDs will make short work of enemies advancing in the open and a lot of tanks prefer to fight in hull down positions.  And flanking shots  that naturally present themselves against an enemy spearhead advance, will make short work of even the strongest armored vehicles.

I never got this adoration in either game for yoloing. You should use controlled aggression.

Genuinely, if you want to yolo at everything while your enemy does the same thing, coop is the perfect game mode. Bots do nothing but yolo and matches end very quickly.

• Cool 2

Modder
1,649 posts
3,502 battles
9 hours ago, Runegrem said:

They weren't useless. They certainly had a lot of power, but they were just so cost inefficient. I think to the point that the most cost efficient way to use a BB was in most cases to have her sit in port and scare the enemy with her presence as well as boost ally morale. Just something I heard, so I don't know if it's a fact or factoid.

Pretty much. They were equivalent of todays nuclear warheads. You just have them in order to others take you seriously. The fact is, contrary to popular belief, that they were the ultimate naval weapon until CVs appeared. Rock&paper&scissors is just WG's fabrication, in reality classes work more like "bigger fish" with CVs on the top and DDs on the bottom.

[TS1]
Players
573 posts
7,618 battles
10 hours ago, 250swb said:

players use the tools they've got to do the best job they can within the rules,

:Smile_veryhappy:

Players
77 posts
9,361 battles
20 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I keep trying to hide my DDs in bushes, but the damn beaches/rocks keep stopping me before I can get far enough onto the islands...!

Our DD main kept counting the trees on the island in clanbattles - turns out that in clan battle, DD gameplay really is like WoT :D

He was very confused when this season consisted of more active gameplay than quietly sitting behind an island in a cap. His tree counting isn't what it used to be.

• Funny 2

[ZPT]
Players
91 posts
22 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Repeat after me:

It's not a simulation. It's an arcade game. It's not a simulation. It's an arcade game. It's not a simulation.

If it is an arcade game, what makes WoWs better than Super Mario or Pac-Man :Smile_popcorn:?!

• Boring 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
13 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Yep, ideal "greetings from comrade stalin" enviroment

Same trick goes for Clan Wars as well I might add... I know behind which islands they are going to lie down. Catching them full broadside is a true feast! 2 citadels when RNG is merciful. 1 in the follow up salvo and the cruisers happily melt him down to the next game. I don't think it's an OP ship. It only needs a slightly more hammering down to the bottom. In randoms it's even easier: always the same islands, just kite around it and either farm citadels or invisi burn it to the next match. Yes the stats on Balansgrad look awesome but really: it's not that hard to bring them down. Just don't play their game and make yourself vulnerable to their incoming.

Sign in to follow this