Zigiran

Odd matchmaking, how does this happen?

12 comments in this topic

[ICYOU]
Players
29 posts
856 battles

Twice now I had an odd matchmaking happen:

- Once I was in the Novik (T2 RU cruiser) in a division with a friend in a T3 ship. I expected to end up in a T2/T3 battle, but instead we got in a T3/T4 battle. With me being a lonely T2 ship. Although I guess not many T2 cruisers can claim to have sunk an enemey CV :Smile_glasses:

- A few days later, I got to the Bogatyr (T3 RU cruiser) in a division with a friend in a T4 ship, and we ended up in a T4 / T5 battle, again with me being the only T3 ship. Facing T5 BB's in a T3 cruiser is a bit scary!

How is it possible that I ended up those times in a battle that was higher tier then I was?

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,379 posts
Vor 10 Minuten, Zigiran sagte:

How is it possible that I ended up those times in a battle that was higher tier then I was?

because you and your mate created fail divis...in a divi always the highest tier counts for mm...

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,580 posts

The higher tier ship in a division decides how you are matched for the matchmaker. For that reason such mixed divisions are called faildivisions for they are pulling lower tier ships into higher tier battles.

+/-2 tiers matchmaking for all tiers was the norm up till two years or so ago. Now you'll only see it once you play tier 5+.

[ICYOU]
Players
29 posts
856 battles

Ah, I thought that if you made a division with a T3 and T4, you would get matched in a T3 / T4 battle.

That is what I usually see, when playing in a division with friends, where we are often 1 tier apart. Only in 2 battles did I get in a higher tier battle then expected.

So to me it feels pretty rare that this happens?

[POI--]
Players
4,110 posts
5,139 battles
1 minute ago, Zigiran said:

So to me it feels pretty rare that this happens?

Regardless of how often it happens, the logic always applies. In the cases where it doesn't happen, you are lucky. But that doesn'tt mean you should do it.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,543 posts
6,852 battles

Yeah, typical faildiv situation

The "rare" part comes from WG screwing up with the MirrorMM. Any chance you have screenshots of those 2 games? I'm more than willing to bet enemies had the same kind of faildiv as you had. That or someone sat in queue for too long, but that too would probably be visible from the same ship list

• Cool 1

Players
48 posts
697 battles

At the weekend I saw an enemy division in a tier 2 battle that had a tier 1 ship in it. It's irresponsible, it should incur a penalty, and WG should ensure failed MM like that can't ever work. 

The OP should be ashamed not understanding the MM when forming a division and what different tier ships are meant to meet in battle and stop ruining the game for other players in the team.

• Bad 1

[ICYOU]
Players
29 posts
856 battles
On 1/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

Yeah, typical faildiv situation

The "rare" part comes from WG screwing up with the MirrorMM. Any chance you have screenshots of those 2 games? I'm more than willing to bet enemies had the same kind of faildiv as you had. That or someone sat in queue for too long, but that too would probably be visible from the same ship list

Sorry, I don't have screenshots. But in the one where my T2 was in a T3/T4 match, there was indeed 1 other T2 cruiser on the enemy side. But on the battle where my T3 was in a T4/T5 match, the enemy did not have a T3 ship.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, Seiranko said:

Regardless of how often it happens, the logic always applies. In the cases where it doesn't happen, you are lucky. But that doesn'tt mean you should do it.

I won't do it again, now that I know it can happen. Just was not aware of it, due to how lucky me and my friends have been so far.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:10 PM, 250swb said:

At the weekend I saw an enemy division in a tier 2 battle that had a tier 1 ship in it. It's irresponsible, it should incur a penalty, and WG should ensure failed MM like that can't ever work. 

The OP should be ashamed not understanding the MM when forming a division and what different tier ships are meant to meet in battle and stop ruining the game for other players in the team.

I should be ashamed for not knowing something that is not explained anywhere in the game?

As for ruining the battle for other players:

- In the match with my T2 cruiser, I pushed a flank with a T3 cruiser and we took out a DD, 2 enemy Cruisers and after that I found and killed the enemy CV. Sadly, our other flank got crushed and we lost, but I did not have anything to do with that.

- In the match with my T3 cruiser, I went and hunted down 2 enemy DD's (T4 and T5), killed them both, then took out the enemy CV and burned down half an enemy New York (who somehow ignored me in order to shoot a friendly BB... no clue why he ignored the easy T3 kill). We won that battle with me having 3 kills.

Please do not make assumptions :Smile_amazed:

[ADRIA]
Players
4,543 posts
6,852 battles
29 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

Sorry, I don't have screenshots. But in the one where my T2 was in a T3/T4 match, there was indeed 1 other T2 cruiser on the enemy side. But on the battle where my T3 was in a T4/T5 match, the enemy did not have a T3 ship.

Yeah, that t2 game enemies had a mirrored faildiv aswell then

That t3 match however... Any chance there were CVs? Would be possible if someone from that match (doesn't have to be you) waited in queue for over 3min at which point MM rules change a bit

31 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

I should be ashamed for not knowing something that is not explained anywhere in the game?

I think WG should be more ashamed of this still being possible rather than a new player being ashamed he didn't know

[ADRIA]
Players
4,543 posts
6,852 battles
Just now, Zigiran said:

Yes, both battles had CV's in it

CVs have forced-mirrored MM, as in a CV always needs a CV of the same tier in enemy team.

When the server population is lower (like during the night / very early morning) or when there simply are not enough CVs in the queue (as the class is rather unpopular - at least right now till we get the rework) a CV may sit in queue for very long time (3 and 5 min are the important points) waiting for another CV to appear, resulting in some hilariously weird MM cases like a 1v1 or 1 CV 11 BBs per team :cap_like:

It's not a CV exclusive, can happen to any ship, just that CVs are most affected due to their MM being more restrictive in combination with rather low popularity

[SM0KE]
Players
2,363 posts
6,033 battles
On 1/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, Zigiran said:

If you feel the urge to read further on the subject, this is the relevant section in the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)

(The wiki is a great source of information in general, about most aspects of the game - it may well take a while to reflect the CV changes that are about to be introduced though - heads-up.)

Sign in to follow this