Stjoopa

A tomato needs some tips - Kutuzov, Atago, Tirpitz

11 comments in this topic

[M0O]
Players
3 posts
325 battles

Hi!

Im really noob on WoWS. Havent played much ever - guess you can see by my WoWS stats. But I have tried a little and I have purchased a few T8 premiums in the past.

Now when Im returning, several patches and nerfs/buffs have been made. Been watching some vids, but even they might be outdated due to changes in game.

Would you guys be so kind, to give me tips on these 3 ships - Atago, Tirpitz, Kutuzov.

1. Best or most common spec of equipment and consumables?

2. Whats the typical(or ideal) range of engagement? Still max range flamethrower with Kutu? Balls deep with 2ndary spec Tirp? And Ive only made a few battles with Atago, dont know anything about it...

3. Ammo type, short explanation - Spam HE with Kutu and Atago, AP with Tirp?

4. Capt skills - I do not train Captain for any other ships, I will only use it on these 3.

5. Signals - Which ones are more or less mandatory?

You do not have to answer to the questions, just describing how you play with it works fine. Or maybe link some up-to-date vids or anything like that.

I dont know why, but I got super excited about WOWS and now downloading the client... Tomorrow will be a big day, getting back on the ships :)

Thanks in advance for the sailors, who take the time and effort to help a true newcomer out.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,581 posts
6,874 battles
43 minutes ago, xTomat said:

Would you guys be so kind, to give me tips on these 3 ships - Atago, Tirpitz, Kutuzov. 

The only tip for them I can give you is - don't play them till you have at least a few games on the t7 of the same type (so CA, BB, CL respectively), preferably even t8 of the same type, silver ships. Also preferably to go for the same nation. Then you will know the basics + have some idea what to expect.

Without that you are doomed to fail

• Cool 4

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,180 posts
6,121 battles
7 hours ago, xTomat said:

But I have tried a little and I have purchased a few T8 premiums in the past.

Yep, there's the problem.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles
14 hours ago, xTomat said:

1. Best or most common spec of equipment and consumables?

2. Whats the typical(or ideal) range of engagement? Still max range flamethrower with Kutu? Balls deep with 2ndary spec Tirp? And Ive only made a few battles with Atago, dont know anything about it...

3. Ammo type, short explanation - Spam HE with Kutu and Atago, AP with Tirp?

4. Capt skills - I do not train Captain for any other ships, I will only use it on these 3.

5. Signals - Which ones are more or less mandatory?

Most of this lot is covered off reasonably well on the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships (which is also worth looking at for refreshers on game mechanics that may have changed since you last played).

For premium ships, there is usually also a link from the wiki to LWM's review of same; for newer ships especially, this is also worth a look, as her views might inform equipment/skill choices. Sometimes, she and the wiki agree, but other times they may not (caution: older ship reviews may date from before the current captain skill set-up; the wiki is generally current).

BTW in case you've missed the kerfuffle, CVs are undergoing a major rework, which gets released into the wild (probably) near the end of this month; this may well make all the prevailing advice irrelevant to a greater or lesser extent. You should also get free captain re-specs, which will be helpful in trying out various new captain builds. Also, don't buy anything new (if you feel the urge) until the impact of the rework is known...

All that said, I would also agree with those before who suggest playing some lower tier ships first, if only to knock the rust off. It's also a bit of a waste to have captains only for those ships e.g. a good captain for Tirpitz is generally also a good captain for Gneis, and Bis (not to mention Scharn, if you feel like not suffering the T8 MM in a premium).

[UNICS]
Players
266 posts
6,271 battles

I'm going to echo what the above posts have said, your best bet is to get some more games under your belt. 

Tier 8 MM has been rough for a while and as such you going to find yourself up-tiered into tier 10 matches frequently. Your own enjoyment will suffer as you wont, as yet, have the experience to know how best to make your ship work in that environment.  As Wilkatis said, get some experience in ships of the same type and tier, learn the ropes and then take the premiums out.   They are all strong in their own way but you need dedicated captains and a good understanding of the flow of a battle to get the best out of each.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

And you might want to wait 1 more week when 8.0 comes. It seems to be a complete ground breaking change coming in. 

[MAD4T]
Players
6 posts
3,104 battles

Firstly, welcome back!

A couple of the other guys have made very good points of playing silver ships to get re-adjusted to the game, which should make using the Kutuzov/Atago/Tirpitz easier as you'll be comfortable with core mechanics. As for your questions about the ships, Verblonde covered most of them - I'll give a quick breakdown of the ships anyways, and I'll answer each question you've listed for the ships. Questions 1, 4 and 5 can be easily answered for each ship by referring to the Warships Wiki. I'll also link you to LittleWhiteMouse's reviews of each of the ships, but please keep in mind that some minor things may be outdated because of changes made long after the reviews. They are still excellent guidelines though, and I use LWM all the time as a reference point!

Kutuzov (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

Kutuzov has excellent range and fire starting capabilities. Don't sit at the back of the map and just fire at maximum range, that's not efficient and it's bad practice. You are a support vessel, causing fires to make other ships use their Damage Control Party. You simply become a nuisance and a downright pain, especially to Battleships. Don't neglect the use of AP though - broadside cruisers can be devastated by an AP salvo! Use your smoke carefully, and avoid brawling.

Atago (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

Similar to the Kutuzov, you have a solid fire chance and a good alpha damage. The HE is very good on this ship. Again though, don't just use it all the time - broadside cruisers can be citadelled easily, even at maximum range. Your concealment and speed are key in using the ship correctly; use these to relocate and escape if under a lot of fire, or to reposition yourself if you're needed elsewhere.

Tirpitz (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

A very good brawling ship, thanks to turtleback armour, a torpedo armament and good secondaries. Just because it can brawl well, does not mean you should charge in first thing - you will find yourself having very short games if you do so. The HE isn't very good, and the AP is strong. You will probably use AP a lot more than HE. Long range does not suit your playstyle, both offensively and defensively. Your dispersion means long-range targets are harder to hit, and any incoming AP shells are more likely to go through the deck of your ship, potentially citadelling you. Stay at medium-close range to ensure your armour can protect you properly, and so that your dispersion does not matter as much as what it would mean at long range.

I have simply summarised some key points, and I've probably missed one or two things. I can't stress enough to read the Wiki/LWM for each ship so that you're aware of the strengths/weaknesses of the ships. If you really want to play your premiums, I'd recommend doing so in co-op so you can get a feel for them. If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to message me in-game or to simply ask here!

Good luck and have fun!

• Cool 1

[M0O]
Players
3 posts
325 battles
On 1/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, Zenitae said:

Firstly, welcome back!

A couple of the other guys have made very good points of playing silver ships to get re-adjusted to the game, which should make using the Kutuzov/Atago/Tirpitz easier as you'll be comfortable with core mechanics. As for your questions about the ships, Verblonde covered most of them - I'll give a quick breakdown of the ships anyways, and I'll answer each question you've listed for the ships. Questions 1, 4 and 5 can be easily answered for each ship by referring to the Warships Wiki. I'll also link you to LittleWhiteMouse's reviews of each of the ships, but please keep in mind that some minor things may be outdated because of changes made long after the reviews. They are still excellent guidelines though, and I use LWM all the time as a reference point!

Kutuzov (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

Kutuzov has excellent range and fire starting capabilities. Don't sit at the back of the map and just fire at maximum range, that's not efficient and it's bad practice. You are a support vessel, causing fires to make other ships use their Damage Control Party. You simply become a nuisance and a downright pain, especially to Battleships. Don't neglect the use of AP though - broadside cruisers can be devastated by an AP salvo! Use your smoke carefully, and avoid brawling.

Atago (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

Similar to the Kutuzov, you have a solid fire chance and a good alpha damage. The HE is very good on this ship. Again though, don't just use it all the time - broadside cruisers can be citadelled easily, even at maximum range. Your concealment and speed are key in using the ship correctly; use these to relocate and escape if under a lot of fire, or to reposition yourself if you're needed elsewhere.

Tirpitz (Wiki / LittleWhiteMouse)

A very good brawling ship, thanks to turtleback armour, a torpedo armament and good secondaries. Just because it can brawl well, does not mean you should charge in first thing - you will find yourself having very short games if you do so. The HE isn't very good, and the AP is strong. You will probably use AP a lot more than HE. Long range does not suit your playstyle, both offensively and defensively. Your dispersion means long-range targets are harder to hit, and any incoming AP shells are more likely to go through the deck of your ship, potentially citadelling you. Stay at medium-close range to ensure your armour can protect you properly, and so that your dispersion does not matter as much as what it would mean at long range.

I have simply summarised some key points, and I've probably missed one or two things. I can't stress enough to read the Wiki/LWM for each ship so that you're aware of the strengths/weaknesses of the ships. If you really want to play your premiums, I'd recommend doing so in co-op so you can get a feel for them. If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to message me in-game or to simply ask here!

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you Zenitae and the others for the tips. Now the WOT campaign is over, I'll focus a bit more on ships. Thanks once more :)

Thanks once more for taking the time.

[UNICS]
Players
1,241 posts
15,368 battles

Atago is really great after accuracy buff

[M0O]
Players
3 posts
325 battles

would any1 play some games with me using Discord? Just general all arounder tips during the battle. I cant tell much difference between the different nation cruisers or other classes. Yes, I can see the camos and ranges and plain numbers, but evaluating the strenghts and weaknesses - adapting playstyle according to strenghts. 

Please add me MadisB#3670 

[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 6:36 AM, xTomat said:

would any1 play some games with me using Discord? Just general all arounder tips during the battle. I cant tell much difference between the different nation cruisers or other classes. Yes, I can see the camos and ranges and plain numbers, but evaluating the strenghts and weaknesses - adapting playstyle according to strenghts. 

Please add me MadisB#3670 

Happy to play a few rounds in a division; if you see me online, ping me! That said, I don't have Discord, but make use of the (admittedly basic) in-game voice comms...