Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkollUlfr

an improvement for vigilance

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[MAD4T]
[MAD4T]
Players
175 posts
3,864 battles

vigailance would be much improved if if showed a yellow overlay for the path of friendly torpedoes on the water(like the TB drop, might as well keep the gfx useful). and possibly showed in red where friendly ships are going to be to avoid accidental nukings.

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,484 posts
5,882 battles

Nah, simply dont torp from behind, problem solved.

  • Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MAD4T]
[MAD4T]
Players
175 posts
3,864 battles

because nobody has ever been nuked by a team mate not paying attention, or had someone turn into their torps.

14:19

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
216 posts
5,745 battles
8 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

vigailance would be much improved if if showed a yellow overlay for the path of friendly torpedoes on the water(like the TB drop, might as well keep the gfx useful). and possibly showed in red where friendly ships are going to be to avoid accidental nukings.

There are some maps with sun glare where it's difficult to see the detected torpedoes in the water.

 

But you're right in thinking that the skill could be made more useful by presenting more information, i.e. a projected path so you know where to steer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles

That doesnt make the skill more usefull one bit actually.

If someone gets the info "hey, your teammate is torping you" why would i want to pick that skill? Its not my responsibility to avoid incomming torpedoes because someone torped from behind - even using 3 skill pts for that!?

And the latter is rather questionable. You most likely hit friendlies because they turn - but its still your own fault for launching those torps. Total waste for 3 points on a DD, only to maybe not torp your friendlies. Unless they are wiggling left and right.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,049 posts

It is ALWAYS the fault of the torping ship if a friendly eats a torp. Yes, even if the torping ship is Flambass.

 

And no, vigilance should not warn me for the idiocy of my teammates. Either make that a general perk for everybody, or, even better, give a warning to the teammate for the idiocy he is about to commit.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,484 posts
5,882 battles
2 hours ago, Bellegar said:

And no, vigilance should not warn me for the idiocy of my teammates. Either make that a general perk for everybody, or, even better, give a warning to the teammate for the idiocy he is about to commit.

 

Im as harsh as going for, the game calculating if theres any % of the friendly to hit the torps, the launcher is auto detonated no flags.

 

Made it a point myself of trying to catch careless torps because of that, humans learn by suffering, words seem to have no use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles
7 hours ago, Juanx said:

Made it a point myself of trying to catch careless torps because of that, humans learn by suffering, words seem to have no use.

 

I dont go that far, but i will certainly not evade if ill open myself up to enemy broadside shots.

Get them pink = get punished = learn? (yes, one can have dreams :cap_fainting:) There is still a 80% chance of getting flamed for that, rather that they learn anything :cap_horn:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,155 posts
10,966 battles
10 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

(...)

If someone gets the info "hey, your teammate is torping you" why would i want to pick that skill? Its not my responsibility to avoid incomming torpedoes because someone torped from behind - even using 3 skill pts for that!?

(...)

You know, it's a bit like getting run over while crossing the street on green light. Sure, it's the car driver's fault but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to try and avoid it.

And vigilance is still a skill some people take on certain ships - so it's not like people would be taking it just for the extra safety measure against allies torping them from behind - it would be but a small bonus on top of the improved torp-spotting capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,554 battles
11 hours ago, SkollUlfr said:

because nobody has ever been nuked by a team mate not paying attention, or had someone turn into their torps.

Hhehehe!  Yeah, THE most common reason I have ever turned pink while in Mogami. Yupp, sadly it has happened way too often but literally ANYTHING can and indeed does happen when firing torps from 10km  range as opne is quite often tempted to do...:cap_wander_2::Smile_facepalm::etc_swear:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles
33 minutes ago, eliastion said:

You know, it's a bit like getting run over while crossing the street on green light. Sure, it's the car driver's fault but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to try and avoid it.

And vigilance is still a skill some people take on certain ships - so it's not like people would be taking it just for the extra safety measure against allies torping them from behind - it would be but a small bonus on top of the improved torp-spotting capabilities.

 

I mean, if you dont take Vigilance in the first place, you still wouldnt take it even if the suggested changes would make it into the game. So my initial argument still stands: It doesnt make the skill more usefull, as you will make the decision if you want better torp detection or not.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,155 posts
10,966 battles
24 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

 

I mean, if you dont take Vigilance in the first place, you still wouldnt take it even if the suggested changes would make it into the game. So my initial argument still stands: It doesnt make the skill more usefull, as you will make the decision if you want better torp detection or not.

If that is so then the additional appeal is a nice bonus that doesn't make the skill OP.

Although I do think there would be a couple people who would actually take the skill with this bonus while they wouldn't without. I mean, there most definitely are people who normally rack their brains over whether to take Vigilance or not on certain ships, to the point where they are close to leaving the decision to a coin toss. For someone like that even the slightest additional utility could be something that makes the decision easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,554 battles
2 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I actually like vigilance. But at 3 points it's kinda costly.

I agree. I take it only for Cruisers, which I have specifically configured, as DD hunters so i can spot and perhaps evade the inevitable torp strike when chasing them into their smokes. Also useful in close quarters against the RN Cruisers. Might be OK for German DD's too, especially in a knife fight to aid the hydro.:cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WTFNO]
Players
228 posts
4,908 battles

The skill does look a bit underwhelming. Could use a slight buff, or be downgraded to a 2pt skill.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,049 posts
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:08 AM, Juanx said:

 

Im as harsh as going for, the game calculating if theres any % of the friendly to hit the torps, the launcher is auto detonated no flags.

 

Made it a point myself of trying to catch careless torps because of that, humans learn by suffering, words seem to have no use.

I'm not going that far, but I won't evade friendly torps if it puts me on a course I don't want to be on.

And I simply refuse to use damage control on friendly flooding. My game's generally ruined anyway, I'll just let the flooding tick and get the idiot more friendly damage.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles
6 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

And I simply refuse to use damage control on friendly flooding. My game's generally ruined anyway, I'll just let the flooding tick and get the idiot more friendly damage.

 

Didnt they remove flooding/fires on friendlies some time ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,049 posts
15 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

 

Didnt they remove flooding/fires on friendlies some time ago?

In randoms? Idunno. I've been away from the game for a few months and haven't been hit by friendlies since coming back.

 

I do remember them removing it from Operations/Scenarios, but again I don't know about randoms. Could very well be the case (would be a good decision imo :cap_like:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,484 posts
5,882 battles
31 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

And I simply refuse to use damage control on friendly flooding. My game's generally ruined anyway, I'll just let the flooding tick and get the idiot more friendly damage  killed  .

 

FTFY.

 

But you dont get fires or floods anymore, sadly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,049 posts
14 minutes ago, Juanx said:

 

FTFY.

 

But you dont get fires or floods anymore, sadly...

Ah so they did implement that across all game modes. I think that's a good change.

 

Turns out you were right @DFens_666 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles

Arguably a bit off-topic: do people think Vigilance might become a bit more attractive soon anyway, without any extra tweaks, with the loss of ship-borne aircraft spotting of torps (if I'm understanding correctly)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

Arguably a bit off-topic: do people think Vigilance might become a bit more attractive soon anyway, without any extra tweaks, with the loss of ship-borne aircraft spotting of torps (if I'm understanding correctly)?

 

I always thought it would be fairer if CVs couldnt spot torps.

But seeing how rare CVs are these days, i dont think it matters really. Only if they would be more prevelant after the change, it doesnt really matter as you can have games all the time where you dont have a CV, aka no torpspotting either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles

I was more thinking about non-CVs with the consumable aircraft e.g. I worry less about not having Vigilance on BBs etc. if they have either a fighter or spotter, as those provide a bit of extra warning of incoming torps...

 

Was wondering about needing to change a few captain skills around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles
23 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Was wondering about needing to change a few captain skills around.

 

I maybe wrote it a bit weird :Smile_hiding:

Btw im not 100% sure on that one: I understood that only CV planes cant detect torps anymore? Or is there no difference to the planes on ships?

 

If the planes launched by normal ships can spot torps, then i dont see a reason to take Vigilance. Simply because CVs are so rare currently. You dont get a CV spotting planes in the majority of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
2,410 posts
6,092 battles

I got it from "To improve the balance between aircraft and destroyers, squadrons have lost the ability to spot torpedoes. This change will also affect the Fighter and Spotting Aircraft consumables." (underlining mine).

 

Here: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/cv8-how-to-play/

 

Unless I'm having a blonde moment, Spotting aircraft are only found on non-CVs, so strongly implying that no aircraft will be able to spot torps with the launch of the rework...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×