Blakk76

HMS Hood

22 comments in this topic

[SU]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,534 battles

Hello fellow captains

First of all, here`s some news on the ship, in 0.8.0 Hood`s sigma will be rasied to 1.9, that improves spread of main guns.
Also fuse timing will be changed to UK Standart 0.033, this may be good or may be bad news.

So back to the topic. I`ve got this ship as soon as she was available, and in the begging of her career she was ok, because people didn't know what to expect from a such fast BB, also the AA was somehow outstanding.
But as the game progressed, people got used to fast battleships and AA was kinda useless lately, so what`s your take on this ship? Is it good or bad for you?

Players
7,448 posts
8,277 battles

It's average. I have no clue what people struggled with when the ship came out, but I know it still is reasonably tanky and the speed is ok and noone really works on actively countering that (not that the speed is its greatest asset either). AA always was either god-tier or crap, depending on how much of your AA is alive or dead and how close the CV drops. Nothing changed there.

[SU]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,534 battles

Played few matches yesterday...to refresh my experience with the ship.
It is a little bit of mess... on long ranges, when you can use speed and cruise up and down-horrible dispersion preventing you from doing anything meaningful, while on the close range you die very quickly but you can kick some major [edited]. In 2/3 of the games I was balanced against Scharnhorst, which is a shame, because Hood is no match for Shchchshdrst, but Fuso or anything like that is a nice plate for Hood...

Players
7,448 posts
8,277 battles
10 minutes ago, Blakk76 said:

Played few matches yesterday...to refresh my experience with the ship.
It is a little bit of mess... on long ranges, when you can use speed and cruise up and down-horrible dispersion preventing you from doing anything meaningful, while on the close range you die very quickly but you can kick some major [edited]. In 2/3 of the games I was balanced against Scharnhorst, which is a shame, because Hood is no match for Shchchshdrst, but Fuso or anything like that is a nice plate for Hood...

I mean, if you stay angled and don't rush into 6 km, Hood can beat Scharnhorst. Scharnhorst can't overmatch, Hood can. Hood has vastly more hp. Hood is faster. Hood also has better firing angles and improved pen angles so if Scharnhorst tries to bring 9 guns to bear, it pays the price, while Hood never has to to present enough broadside to worry.

• Cool 1

Players
7,448 posts
8,277 battles

Played Hood after the buffs. Imo, the ship now is a pretty solid T7 premium BB. Citpenning BBs is still not happening too often (Hood like Warspite lacks raw pen more than fuze time, so citpens happen mostly just at shorter ranges against BBs), but with the new accuracy, Hood really has very reliable guns. The guns weren't notably inaccurate before, but now you really hit very consistently even at range. Given the rest of the ship apart from the guns already was pretty superb, I really like playing Hood now. It's a bit like a fast Warspite.

Also, worth noting is that the AA rework has changed the defAA to normal defAA and made rockets long-range AA. Hood moved from exceptional short-range to solid long range, with defAA. Whatever flies into those 11 explosions the long range throws out just dies.

• Cool 1

[ANG3L]
Players
44 posts

@Seiranko covered it, completely agree :)    overall, it feels more usable in general, even though it may be less efficient at two very specific things, namely citadelling cruisers, and the crazy short range AA. Still an overall better, more solid, more usable ship. 

Players
688 posts
5,871 battles

Solid if unspectacular. 

I kinda miss the cruiser blapping from the old short fuz shells.

She still tanks though and flies through the sea with the cruisers. 

Gets me into glory or the bottom!

She's the Hood though so bloody awsome!

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,025 battles

Chaps...Well with all the gold flying around due to the selling of the CV's i thought i would get a ship that i sort of wanted (ITS THE HOOD!) but didn't at the same time (so average).  So i got it yesterday and after 3 battles think it's a bit of a let down.

Now i know 3 battles isnt anything that is why i am asking for any tips you chaps might have.  A few things i have personally noticed:

The good

1) AA cant complain about.  Any Battleship with defensive AA is very good regading AA.  Only played against one at the moment but did alright considering. 

2) Fast and feels like it handles well. 

3) Accuracy isnt bad to be honest

4) AP hits BB's quite well, but over pens others :Smile_amazed:

5) Reload is alright

6) Guns turn alright

The not-so-good

1) Weak armour

2) Gets eaten alive by HE spam

3) Guns are over penning every cruiser I fire at (apart from Atago which i cit twice) .  I wish i played it before the buff? 

4) Guns getting knocked out all the while.  The most i've seen for a while in a BB. 

I can feel it's gonna be alright ship (unlike the Cola when i play that) and just finding my feet with it.  Also the state of the teams i had yesterday was nothing short of shocking to be honest so WR not fused about in that respect. Here is the stats so far for any reference.

64 Hood   Hood  7 U.K. 3 0% 800 39 281 1 1.33 Details

As you can see the WR is neither here or there to be honest with the games we lost i couldn't even pull back in any ship, but the rest isn't any good at the moment. Damage is pitterful (over pens mostly) and the PR shocking.

Now compire that with my other tier 7 BB's like the:

Gneisenau   Gneisenau 7 Germany 97 61.86% 1 688 61 646 1.06 5.08 Details
54 Scharnhorst   Scharnhorst  7 Germany 230 59.57% 1 822 64 991 1.4 2.57 Details
King George V   King George V 7 U.K. 28 57.14% 1 572 79 339 1.32 1.04 Details

So......Some questions regarding form:

1) Do you use AP or HE mainly on this thing? 

2) Sit at range, Mid or brawl?

3) Central or flanking ship? 

greencheck.pngpreventive_maintenance.png
Preventive Maintenance1 Point
Reduces the risk of ship modules becoming incapacitated
-30% to the risk of incapacitation of modules
greencheck.pngexpert_loader.png
Expert Loader1 Point
Accelerates shell type switching if all main battery guns are loaded
-50% to reload time when shell type is switched
greencheck.pnghigh_alert.png
High Alert2 Points
Reduces reload time of Damage Control Party
-10% to reload time of the Damage Control Party consumable
greencheck.pngexpert_marksman.png
Expert Marksman2 Points
Increases the traverse speed of all guns
+2.5 deg/s to the trasverse speed of guns with a caliber of up to 139 mm
+0.7 deg/s to the trasverse speed of guns with a caliber above 139 mm
greencheck.pngadrenaline_rush.png
Adrenaline Rush2 Points
Increases reload speed of all armament as the ship HP is reduced
0.2% to reload time of all types of armament for each 1% of lost HP
greencheck.pngsuperintendent.png
Superintendent3 Points
Increases capacity of consumables
+1 additional charge to all consumables mounted on a ship
greencheck.pngfire_prevention.png
Fire Prevention4 Points
Reduces the risk of fire and maximum damage caused by fire by decreasing the number of potential fire sources
-10% to the risk of fire
The maximum number of fire sources on a ship is reduced to three
greencheck.pngconcealment_expert.png
Concealment Expert4 Points
Reduces ship detectabilty range
-10% to detectability of destroyers
-12% to detectability of cruisers
-14% to detectability of battleships
-16% to detectability of aircraft carriers

My captain skills (or planned as i have a 14 point one at the moment).  

Would you chaps do anything different?

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapon_Mod_I.png

Main Armaments Modification 1

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageControl_Mod_I.png

Damage Control System Modification 1

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM033_Guidance_Mod_I.png

Aiming Systems Modification 1

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringGear_Mod_II.png

Steering Gears Modification 2

Current Upgrades.  Would you do anything different? 

Apologises for the crappy presentation but doing this on my phone which is a pain.

Basically any tips to make this lovely looking ship work.  I don't want it to be another ship that i don't use ever because other ones are simply better (KG5, Gne and Sharn are great ships).

What makes this ship different?  It cant just be the AA...The Gne can tank like a boss, good secondaries, good AA and hard hitting guns, the Sharn is a dirty cruiser killer and the KG5 is a master of DOT. All i see at the moment is a very meh kinda ship that cruisers can bet up. Hopefully prove me wrong please.

Red,:cap_tea:

[BOBS3]
Players
975 posts
17,063 battles
23 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Remember Concealment Expert has been Nerfed for BBs so that the bonus is only a Flat 10% across all ship types. This might change your choices.

As for the rest - I don't drive a Hood and I'm not good in BBs so "don't ask me", "je ne sais pas"!

Edited by Cambera_1
Forgot quote
  • Cool 1

[FOX]
Beta Tester
32 posts
4,717 battles
13 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

The not-so-good

1) Weak armour

2) Gets eaten alive by HE spam

3) Guns are over penning every cruiser I fire at (apart from Atago which i cit twice) .  I wish i played it before the buff? 

So......Some questions regarding form:

1) Do you use AP or HE mainly on this thing? 

2) Sit at range, Mid or brawl?

3) Central or flanking ship? 

Would you chaps do anything different?

To be brutally honest, that you think the armour is weak gives me a red flag about your playstyle with the ship.

Nearly all battleships like angling, but Hood might as well have written the book on being made to be angled. I'm talking diagonal to your target, rear turrets as far forward as they can be at all times when pointed at your target.

Yes, the thickness is not that great when you are broadside... but her belt is long, with 127mm plates extending all the way up her top deck (!), which itself is 51mm deck and she has good gun angles. You angle yourself to an enemy and she's a tank: all those plates now transform into delicious autobounce/shatter zones. Combined with the health pool, I've certainly absorbed huge amounts of potential damage in her. She's especially good at kiting away at an angle.

So what if you don't angle properly? That 127mm plate is now a big juicy zone for enemy AP: thin enough that it goes through, thick enough that it arms. A huge armour advantage is now a huge disadvantage. That's why when you say that her protection is weak I am immediately jumping into thinking that you are broadsiding way too much.

Aside from being a big target with a chunky superstructure, I wouldn't say that she particularly stands out at being terrible against HE either. Again, all those plates and the 51mm deck cause any HE shells that hit them to shatter. Compare that to a KGV, Colorado or Nagato with their 25mm 'HE eat me please' plating almost everywhere for example.

Regarding the questions:
1) AP nearly always unless I specifically know that I will be shooting a DD. She's not an HE slinger like the tech tree UK BBs. Her HE shells are worse than a Queen Elizabeth. On the other hand, her AP has enhanced auto-ricochet angles compared to normal.
2) Mostly mid, but it depends on the situation. Like most battleships, she tends to want to be as close as possible to improve dispersion while not compromising yourself to torpedoes or over-extension.
3) I can't say that I've ever made this as a conscious decision, so I can't advise.

Captain skills:
I would rather take priority target than expert loader. I don't like the non-special captain EL in general (just fire what you have then reload), but what with the 'nothing special' HE it seems especially pointless to me.
On the other hand, PT is pure information. It helps you know when you need to angle and when you can get away with being lax, when you should back off a bit, suggests when destroyers fire torpedoes etc. I take it on nearly all of my ships, including battleships.

• Cool 3

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles

I am part of player-base...i am just a consumer-player...I love this great game(!!!), very much...but remind, i am consumer, and I want to tell me fellow players following:

nahh, never ever gonna purchase The Hood (VII).....take my advice....NOT the HOOD...better purchase some far better ships out there (...and there are very, very many excellent, good ships!)...but The Hood...aghhh.....so weak....if say, a Nelson or a Lyon (VII) (...= excellent strong ship, btw)...gonna focus on a The Hood, then The Hood sinks (100% sure) very fast.....so, no, do not purchase The Hood (that ship fails, all very objectively). There are so very, very many far better ships around out there, so many...just pick one of the others. = my objective opinion, for my fellow player-base.

Players
3,130 posts
10,025 battles
7 hours ago, Grimsley said:

To be brutally honest, that you think the armour is weak gives me a red flag about your playstyle with the ship.

Nearly all battleships like angling, but Hood might as well have written the book on being made to be angled. I'm talking diagonal to your target, rear turrets as far forward as they can be at all times when pointed at your target.

Yes, the thickness is not that great when you are broadside... but her belt is long, with 127mm plates extending all the way up her top deck (!), which itself is 51mm deck and she has good gun angles. You angle yourself to an enemy and she's a tank: all those plates now transform into delicious autobounce/shatter zones. Combined with the health pool, I've certainly absorbed huge amounts of potential damage in her. She's especially good at kiting away at an angle.

So what if you don't angle properly? That 127mm plate is now a big juicy zone for enemy AP: thin enough that it goes through, thick enough that it arms. A huge armour advantage is now a huge disadvantage. That's why when you say that her protection is weak I am immediately jumping into thinking that you are broadsiding way too much.

Aside from being a big target with a chunky superstructure, I wouldn't say that she particularly stands out at being terrible against HE either. Again, all those plates and the 51mm deck cause any HE shells that hit them to shatter. Compare that to a KGV, Colorado or Nagato with their 25mm 'HE eat me please' plating almost everywhere for example.

Regarding the questions:
1) AP nearly always unless I specifically know that I will be shooting a DD. She's not an HE slinger like the tech tree UK BBs. Her HE shells are worse than a Queen Elizabeth. On the other hand, her AP has enhanced auto-ricochet angles compared to normal.
2) Mostly mid, but it depends on the situation. Like most battleships, she tends to want to be as close as possible to improve dispersion while not compromising yourself to torpedoes or over-extension.
3) I can't say that I've ever made this as a conscious decision, so I can't advise.

Captain skills:
 I would rather take priority target than expert loader. I don't like the non-special captain EL in general (just fire what you have then reload), but what with the 'nothing special' HE it seems especially pointless to me.
On the other hand, PT is pure information. It helps you know when you need to angle and when you can get away with being lax, when you should back off a bit, suggests when destroyers fire torpedoes etc. I take it on nearly all of my ships, including battleships.

Thanks for the advice mate. Defo take some of that on board. :cap_like:

Just need to give it some more time i think.  I also think i have been spoiled by the other tier 7 BB's which considering they are silver line ships, are quite good. 

The biggest frustration is those Over Pens. That 40000 average damage isn't down to poor accuracy, but mostly Over-pens and there is nothing more frustrating than a perfect broadside and you get that. This might be down to thinking that it's an anti cruiser ship like the Sharn.  Just read that the Hood got buffed with better anti BB pens so i might simply be picking the wrong targets to begin with. 

Looking at the stats, the Hood sits right in the middle of the pack and i can see why.  Kinda guessed that the Nelson, KG5 and Sharn would be above it both in WR and damage. Even the DOY has a higher average damage (all that DOT).

I like the Hood, but it seems very average with nothing that stands out at the moment. It cant even claim being the only Defensive AA BB at tier 7. Which is fine, but IF people wanna spend money on it then i think it's a hard sell as the other silver ships are at least just as good, if not better.  

I'll give it more time. 

• Cool 1

[GW_KR]
Players
8 posts

Just saw a documentary about the Hood vs Bismarck and at one point they said that HMS Hood opened fire at the Bismarck at a distance of 14 miles which is  22.5Km why is the range of the HMS Hood in the game 18.7?

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
316 posts
5,833 battles
On 3/22/2019 at 2:20 AM, CaptJohan said:

Just saw a documentary about the Hood vs Bismarck and at one point they said that HMS Hood opened fire at the Bismarck at a distance of 14 miles which is  22.5Km why is the range of the HMS Hood in the game 18.7?

Well the Hood´s firing wasn´t very effective at that range was it...? Besides according to wikipedia Hood opened fire at 24,5km (mistakenly against Prinz Eugen) for that matter. When Hood was destroyed she was only 14km from Bismarck and had not hit it a single time. So I think Hood´s range is fine in the game. 

Players
7,448 posts
8,277 battles
On 3/22/2019 at 1:20 AM, CaptJohan said:

Ingame ranges are lower across the board. Yamato IRL could fire out to 45 km, yet ingame it's only like 26 km. On the other hand, hitting stuff at range is way easier ingame, as you got two-digit hit percentages most of the time, not single-digit as was the case IRL.

[BGNAV]
Players
201 posts
8,106 battles

I got the Hood from a Santa crate. So far I've played only 5 battles in this ship, but I played all but one of them this weekend (never needed it - didn't play it before :D ). Overall my impressions so far are:

- Fast. Can get you into and out of trouble - depending on play style.

- Great AA.

- Relatively agile.

- Accurate guns, typical BB AP (overpens a lot, but can devastate citadels as well). Only 8 guns though.

- Great turret traverse.

- Lackluster secondaries (not a big surprise).

- HE is... meh... Stick with AP unless you shoot a DD.

- The armor is supposed to be thin, but with good angling it performs really well. HE spam is deadly though.

- Weak torpedo belt.

For me this is the most average looking and performing BB. It is a nice change from the typical RN HE spammers though. Definitely a fun ship to play, but I prefer the Nelson in this tier.

For captain builds - you cannot go wrong with a typical tanky build.

• Cool 1

Players
683 posts
3,473 battles

After 240 Matches in Hood, i had my best World of warships moment today.

Picture is attached, read chat!

What happened? Bismarck was 8 km from me, I was angled away. His salvo did 2 k Damage. He then turned away from me. Shortly before showing complete broadside, i returned fire and hit with all 8 shells. The result was devastating, 31 k Damage on a CLOSE range Bismarck and a CITADEL hit.

I can only explain this with the combination of the sharply turning bismarck, leaning towards me and increasing the angle of impact to his turtleback. The angle must have gotten bigger than 30°. And in combination with Hood's improved bounce mechanics, the impact was devastating. 

He received another 12 k volley directly after. In total, I gave the Bismarck 54 k damage that match. His reaction in chat was hilarious, especially after the usual "hello hood" talk you get from almost every Bismarck Captain.

All in all, after 1100 Matches in Wows and 240 k in Hood, she is my favorite ship. If I had to keep only one, it would be her. 

Why do I love her so much?

-Flagged she can do almost 34 knots, which is enough to outrun every ship she can face, except DDs.

-She has an extremely fast rudder shift, which, in combination with her firing arcs, makes her godly at angling

-She might be long but she is not very wide. In combination with rudder shift she is godlike at dodging long range salvos. North Carolina firing at you from 20 km? Forget it....

-She has extremely precise guns with hilariously nice bounce mechanics, more than compensating the rather poor Pen values

-She is extremely tanky against enemy targets when angled. 

-The deck armor (other then for example Nagato and Gneisenau) is thick enough to shatter a lot of cruiser HE spam. If giving her tank built, she is the absolute nightmare for cruisers

I think she matches my playstyle quite well. I also loved Kongo, which plays pretty similar. I also liked Gneisenau, which handles similarly. And I reeeally hated Fuso and Queen Elizabeth. 

I have a 53% winrate in her and average of 60 k damage. Hood was practically the reason for me to start with world of warships, so the first 50 matches really pull the stats. 

shot-19.05.23_20.54.46-0260.jpg

• Cool 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
127 posts
4,813 battles
On 6/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, Cagliostro_chan said:

Did you try running CE?

Hey bud

Yes, I used to have it when it was 16% or somthing. Now it's 10% it's not worth the 4 points. It reduces it to 14.5 or 15km or similar.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,253 posts
4,972 battles
44 minutes ago, Pegasus2022 said:

Hey bud

Yes, I used to have it when it was 16% or somthing. Now it's 10% it's not worth the 4 points. It reduces it to 14.5 or 15km or similar.

14,1 actually. And I personally think it is still worth it.

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles

Im using manual AA on it instead of fire prevention. T6 CV has no chance , Kaga also struggles. Other CV will attack but will suffer a lot of losses