You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DiggerPH

Help Me Decide! - Bismarck or Amagi

66 comments in this topic

Players
208 posts
3,548 battles

Good Evening All,

Have a bit of spare time to devote to WoWs over the next month or so and fancy spending time with a new tech tree BB.

I can purchase either of the above 2 ships Amagi or the Bismarck as i currently have 28m credits.

My dilemma is ultimately I can see my Tier X BB preference most definitely being the Yamato rather than the GK . . .  so the Amagi makes more sense right now!  . . . . BUT the Bismarck looks like a huge amount of fun ( in a Tirpitz brawling fashion sense?!) Can she brawl like the Tirp?

As they say  . . . Decisions Decisions. 

Shall I continue with IJN or go with ze Germans? ;)

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles

How are you for captains, elite XP etc?

Bismarck really needs a 14 point captain as a minimum to use the secondary guns, Amagi I guess could get away with less.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

How are you for captains, elite XP etc?

Bismarck really needs a 14 point captain as a minimum to use the secondary guns, Amagi I guess could get away with less.

For Amagi u need at least 10 points, without concealment expert gets spotted too easy... 

[WGP2W]
1,442 posts
10,011 battles

Amagi -> Yamato.

No one will ever need your GK for cbs etc.

• Funny 1

Players
208 posts
3,548 battles

I have 13 point captains in both the Gneisenau & Nagato that I don't mind spending to retrain immediately for whichever I choose.

Players
4,024 posts
7,542 battles

Amagi have much better guns, and main armament consistency beats in effectiveness basically any secondary build you can think of.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
1 minute ago, DiggerPH said:

I have 13 point captains in both the Gneisenau & Nagato that I don't mind spending to retrain immediately for whichever I choose.

13 is good enough for BoS, SI and CE. Go Amagi. 

Players
208 posts
3,548 battles
2 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Amagi -> Yamato.

You've simplified my logic somewhat ha! :)

I think I'll get both at some point but aim to grind to the Yammy as the main aim.

Players
875 posts
3,999 battles
9 minutes ago, DiggerPH said:

Good Evening All,

Have a bit of spare time to devote to WoWs over the next month or so and fancy spending time with a new tech tree BB.

I can purchase either of the above 2 ships Amagi or the Bismarck as i currently have 28m credits.

My dilemma is ultimately I can see my Tier X BB preference most definitely being the Yamato rather than the GK . . .  so the Amagi makes more sense right now!  . . . . BUT the Bismarck looks like a huge amount of fun ( in a Tirpitz brawling fashion sense?!) Can she brawl like the Tirp?

As they say  . . . Decisions Decisions. 

Shall I continue with IJN or go with ze Germans? ;)

Unlock the amagi and bismarck, play bis for fun with a secondary build. Grind the ijn line to yamato

• Cool 1

Players
208 posts
3,548 battles

Is the Bismarck a fun brawler like my Tirpitz which i always enjoy taking out for a quick skirmish?

Players
46 posts
1,039 battles

Bismarck has good secondaries, but i prefer the Amagi, better guns than the Bismarck, good speed and armor.

Go for the Amagi, she is worth every credit that you spend. 

Don't get me wrong, i love the Bismarck, but if i had to choose, i'd go for the Amagi.

Players
208 posts
3,548 battles
2 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Unlock the amagi and bismarck, play bis for fun with a secondary build. Grind the ijn line to yamato

That is indeed my thinking right now. . . 

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
5 minutes ago, DiggerPH said:

Is the Bismarck a fun brawler like my Tirpitz which i always enjoy taking out for a quick skirmish?

Is the same ship, but with hydro and better AA instead of torps. 

[POI--]
Players
4,182 posts
5,167 battles
20 minutes ago, DiggerPH said:

It's good. It's like a more well-balanced Tirpitz.

As you have Tirpitz already, I'd say go Amagi. Bismarck isn't bad, but just for the Bismarck experience, no point in getting it when you have Tirpitz.

• Cool 5

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
369 posts
2,921 battles
39 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Amagi -> Yamato.

Perhaps by the time he reaches Yamato GK will be the meta.

Get what you like. IMO both are tough to play, but the IJN line is a bit easier to play. It mostly comes down to having a good aim, where with the Germans you need to be pretty good at positioning to make your brawl work out.

[WGP2W]
1,442 posts
10,011 battles
5 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Perhaps by the time he reaches Yamato GK will be the meta.

Get what you like. IMO both are tough to play, but the IJN line is a bit easier to play. It mostly comes down to having a good aim, where with the Germans you need to be pretty good at positioning to make your brawl work out.

Your statement is "perhaps". I am speaking how it was till now. 4 CB seasons ( appx 2 years?)

[NWP]
Players
3,983 posts
6,038 battles

If you wanna continue to T10 maybe i can give a little advice with the ships which are waiting for you.

I have GK and Musashi (not Yamato, but they are basicly the same).

They have rather different playstyles.

Yamato/Musashi can get away by simply bowtanking and shredding basicly any angled ship because of the overmatch.

A GK needs to show LOTS of broadside to use all his guns, so you want to be moving constantly. While GK also basicly doesnt get citadelled, it still receives massive penetration damage due to its sheer size. But making a wrong move with Yamato can also get you killed very fast tho.

If you want to play it safe, take GK with a tank build. Full anti fire. The GK is basicly the only ship which can bowtank a Yamato, but because it so big, its also vulnerable to fires, while not being vulnerable to the HE damage itself because of the thick armor. So using an anti-fire build is safer than going secondary build. Secondary build in this meta is imo not much fun, i didnt go full secondary either.

Yamato can also deal with HE spam because the deck armor can shatter most/all Cruiser HE, but its still a bit smaller than a GK.

In terms of carrying your team to victory, i rate Yamato higher than GK, simply because the guns are more reliable.

Players
584 posts
4,700 battles

Amagi, every day of the week until the day I die.

10 guns that hit stuff vs 8 guns that don't, there really is no contest. Amagi also shares the famed turtleback armor scheme that bismarck totes, albeit a bit thinner, but an angled amagi will stilldo absolutely fine, she kites much better as well.

As for t10s? I also say Yamato is infinitely more enjoyable, but that is probably personal preference as I absolutely love her to death. IMHO she is easily the most balanced t10 ship in the game with glaring weaknesses but also fantastic strengths. Yamato rewards you for playing well like no other ship in the game (that I have tried).

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,893 posts
6,226 battles

Amagi is the way to go, good armor when angled, good speed, exxelent 410mm guns that have allot of "ompf", better accuracy and you go TX Yamato, need i say more. :Smile_honoring:

[JRM]
Players
118 posts
8,450 battles

Germans is the worst line at bb line and average at best with ca and dd line, just my opinion on current state of their lines. On cw you wont see single GK, Hindenburg or Z-52 in storm or higher league, its fact. They can be fun sometimes at random, but very situational, their HE is worst against player who know to angle, and secundary built is fun but mostly useless.

[WONLY]
Players
199 posts

If you care about CB...Amagi, so you can get Yamato.

For randoms...both lines work pretty well. IJN has more gun-consistency but the german BBs can push in with hydro and turtleback and change the tide of the game if it works out. In a Yamato you always have to watch your flanks.

Players
963 posts
7,564 battles

If you have the Tirpitz, it's a no-brainer IMO. Bismarck IS a fun ship, but you already have the sister ship without need for grind.

At T10 Yamato is to me a much more attractive target than the Currywurst. Not much to say about it -- a non-gimmicky BB with huge guns. 

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
369 posts
2,921 battles
19 minutes ago, JimmyThePirate said:

I think everyone is forgetting the most important question:

Would you rather grind through the FDG, or the Izumo?

Both of them are pretty okay now. Izumo will get another buff soon most likely, making both of them solid tier 9 battleships.