Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

From the Scharnhorst to the Gneisenau

58 comments in this topic

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles

Dear All,

The title is self explanatory. I m taking out the Gneisenau after 226 battles with the Scharnhorst.

I love the Scharnhorst and she suited my play-style. She gave me my best ever battle till now. (that sounded somehow ... uhmmm...ok drop it)

For those that have seen my previous posts you should know by now that I like browling, I don't like to stay back and snipe but I don't like YOLO.

And I hate camping. I am a hotel guy.

(I promised not to be mature to a certain gentleman on our forum so you must excuse the silliness at times)

So, tips, advise, pointers, anathemas, calls of despair and declarations of boredom all are welcome.

Current setup:

Untitled-2.jpg.4deea5f9ec17446a127a950d9e9f0161.jpg

The Commander

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.aff948be5903a7023559feb071a33b52.jpg

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
15,240 posts
11,004 battles

Take Basics of Survivalbility, you will burn a lot.

If you still want it, you take Basic Firing Training again with your 17th point.

• Cool 1

Players
3,934 posts
7,496 battles

Gneis guns as any BB are temperamental, further aggravated by small amount of them and lacking performance/overmatch compared to Big Seven. Secondaries are brutal though, as they can melt any cruiser and most battleships below tier 8. 

If you intend to bring out Gneisnau into randoms, I'd go for main battery accuracy upgrade, concealment and survivability skills, secondaries spec is excellent and fun choice for Operations though, like current Narai:Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
370 posts

I would swap expert marksman for Adrenaline rush. You'll still have a good turret traverse but 10% better reload of everything at 50% health.

I would probably swap BFT for demolition expert for brawling with other battleships, the most sensible option is superintendent though.

I always used a secondary build but concealment expert would be very useful.

Enjoy, it's a great ship.

[DREAD]
Players
5,662 posts
5,188 battles

I like AR on Battleships. And if you spec into secondary guns Tier 7+ the manual secondary captain skill is nice.

Apart from that Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention are always safe bets.

I tend to go for a hybrid survivability-Secondaries built on German BBs. Apart from GK which I have full 2ndary skilled 

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles

Thank you for all your replies till now.

One question. She is a very hard to hide ship.

Would Concealment be dropped altogether be a wise choice?

[CATS]
Players
15,240 posts
11,004 battles
Just now, Saltface said:

Thank you for all your replies till now.

One question. She is a very hard to hide ship.

Would Concealment be dropped altogether be a wise choice?

If you want to get close anyway, you do not need concealment.

If you want to stay midrange, go concealment/survivability.

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles

Here are my concerns, and by all means please accept that I am not posting arguments but I m rather thinking out loud.

CV rework is coming. Would an all out AA build be useful? It is somehow close to the secondaries build. 

Should this be the case, one could opt for MFCSA, MFCAAA and DCCA.

I understand that this build needs very careful management of repair and heal.

Question is if it has been tried?

Probably, you must have understood that I don't really know what I'm doing. 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
943 posts
5,305 battles
7 minutes ago, Saltface said:

CV rework is coming. Would an all out AA build be useful?

Personally, I'd wait for the CV rework to hit the servers.

If there is a need to re-do builds in general to handle the CV rework I'd hope that there would be a period where at least captain skill resets would be free and maybe even dismounting of equipment would also be free (and not cost gold).

• Cool 1

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles
7 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Personally, I'd wait for the CV rework to hit the servers.

Wise. Thank you

Beta Tester
362 posts
2,920 battles

I’d say FP first, after that the secondairy specs as in aft and manual.

CE aint that important for German BBs. 

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Take Basics of Survivalbility, you will burn a lot.

How very true.

They all put me on fire as if I was their preferred BBQ.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,769 posts
14,145 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

CV rework is coming. Would an all out AA build be useful? It is somehow close to the secondaries build.

Afaik we're getting a free reset anyway, so you don't have to worry about that yet.

(Also German BBs were hilariously weak in testing as most of their AA is focused on long range which is easily dodged.)

Gneisenau is currently one of, if not the strongest AA BB on her tier if you spec completely into it, but she's also highly vulnerable to AP bombs. Beware of higher tier USN CVs and the Graf Zeppelin as they can kill you in only a single AP DB attack.

Personally I wouldn't pick anything beyond AFT + BFT which you do anyway for the secondaries. That should discourage lower and same tier CVs from attacking you.

[SHAD]
Players
370 posts
17 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I’d say FP first, after that the secondairy specs as in aft and manual.

CE aint that important for German BBs. 

I don;t have Fp on many of my ships.

Aside from a 10% reduction in fire chance, it only helps you at those times where you have 2 fires on your superstructure and no dam con available.

IME this happens very rarely so for 4pts it's a bit expensive.

Most people seem to disagree with me however.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles
8 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

I don;t have Fp on many of my ships.

Aside from a 10% reduction in fire chance, it only helps you at those times where you have 2 fires on your superstructure and no dam con available.

IME this happens very rarely so for 4pts it's a bit expensive.

Most people seem to disagree with me however.

I don't have FP on many ships either, but I have noticed that the reason I don't value it as much is simply because I pick all the other survivability upgrades (basics of survivability, damage con system mod 1 and 2, india yankee, etc.), so that is probably the reason why I find fires to be kind of a trivial issue.

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles

Dear All,

With a tone of self sarcasm, she has a long way to go to reach her 200 battles before I even think of going to the Bismark.

My experience with the Cruiser line has disillusioned me.

So, I guess I have all the time to discover what she is good at, how she should be outfitted and what her Commander skills should be.

Anyway, I am not going to spend the gold now to redistribute. I will wait for the new CV thing to come and most important I will get all the Commander XP required.

It is a bit premature to ask advise for Commander skills if you don't have the XP. (LOL) Indulge my wishful thinking.

Till then I will try to see how your kind help and advise reflects during my battles. What I feel I miss and what looks like it suits me.

Most probably, it will take me time to digest and absorb what you have kindly advised.

Thanking you all till now, and by no means consider that I wish you to stop.

The more the better.

Beta Tester
569 posts
3,733 battles

The Gneisenau litterally plays exactly the same as the Sharnhorst. Your main gun accuracy is so bad, you have to get to 10km to even hit anything, the overmatch is a gimmick since you only have 6 guns. Go full secondary spec and watch DDs melt, and watch the minimap to look for oportunities to launch your torpedoes into battleships or cruisers.

[L4GG]
Players
1,628 posts
6,469 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

Probably, you must have understood that I don't really know what I'm doing. 

take it for a spin and see what you need.

if you choose the rudder module your gneise can start turning in 11s, that's nice.

if you enjoy brawling you don't need the accuracy module. you can choose between secundaries range or AA range.

Skills wise

I will restart my captain and I'm thinking to go for this.

cs.thumb.png.47e860f3f7020dd30e04ca4f7f08a8ca.png

if I give up fire prevention.

cs1.thumb.png.c54abd4f486575ea3db17da4bd230afe.png

or go for my initial plan.cs2.thumb.png.ad723c72c32268839b85a510fa7794d4.png

Note: DE instead of the other 3 point skill.

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles

Dear @Butterdoll,

thank you for the advise.

Food for thought.

First impression after the 20 seconds reload of the Scharnhorst is a bit frustrating.

Dispersion and having to wait LOL

Thanking you again

Saltface

[L4GG]
Players
1,628 posts
6,469 battles
1 minute ago, Saltface said:

Dear @Butterdoll,

Food for thought.

First impression after the 20 seconds reload of the Scharnhorst is a bit frustrating.

Thanking you again

Saltface

AR, and gneise bites harder than scharn, I think the two are very similar (for what I read) just manage better your fire.

Get use to it and you will love it.

Players
3,934 posts
7,496 battles
5 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Dear @Butterdoll,

Food for thought.

Thanking you again

Saltface

Welcome to actual battleships, where you can safely alt tab, check forums, set new music on yt/spotify/whatever, go back and still wait for reload:Smile_popcorn:

Just now, Butterdoll said:

AR, and gneise bites harder than scharn, I think the two are very similar (for what I read) just manage better your fire.

Sometimes no amount of aiming skills will help with German dispersion

[WTFNO]
Players
226 posts
4,888 battles
51 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Afaik we're getting a free reset anyway, so you don't have to worry about that yet.

(Also German BBs were hilariously weak in testing as most of their AA is focused on long range which is easily dodged.)

Gneisenau is currently one of, if not the strongest AA BB on her tier if you spec completely into it, but she's also highly vulnerable to AP bombs. Beware of higher tier USN CVs and the Graf Zeppelin as they can kill you in only a single AP DB attack.

Personally I wouldn't pick anything beyond AFT + BFT which you do anyway for the secondaries. That should discourage lower and same tier CVs from attacking you.

This. AA Gneis currently works really well, especially if you often play in div with a CV ;-) And AA build also helps the secondaries.

Main guns are kind of underwhelming if you don't get reasonably close, only 6 of them and not very accurate. Stronger than the Scharn ones against BBs though.

All in all a really good brawler, and doesn't get punished by MM as much as Bismarck.

[PN]
Players
130 posts
2,415 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Welcome to actual battleships, where you can safely alt tab, check forums, set new music on yt/spotify/whatever, go back and still wait for reload

So very true !!

3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Sometimes no amount of aiming skills will help with German dispersion

It works against DDs LOL Shoot at their general direction and Good Dispersion (lol if that can be a term) does its magic

5 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

I hope since she has to do 200 battles before I leave her to up tier.

Not doing the same mistake again. (skipped the Roon, got the Hindenburg, smashed my face in TX, most probably made many people angry at me LOL and got me a nice Scharnhorst and forgot all about Cruisers)

Players
3,934 posts
7,496 battles
4 minutes ago, Saltface said:

So very true !!

It works against DDs LOL Shoot at their general direction and Good Dispersion (lol if that can be a term) does its magic

I hope since she has to do 200 battles before I leave her to up tier.

Not doing the same mistake again. (skipped the Roon, got the Hindenburg, smashed my face in TX, most probably made many people angry at me LOL and got me a nice Scharnhorst and forgot all about Cruisers)

Thats magic of bad dispersion, especially prevalent on battleships with lots of guns like Lyon or Kurfurst - something WILL hit no matter how guy on receiving end with WSAD his way through.

I wonder how much WG would earn in their store if they started selling altars to RNGesus instead hoodies, scarfs, pins and whatnot:cap_hmm:

[NED]
Players
4,281 posts
11,774 battles

As I see it: Scharnhorst (S) and Geisenau (G) are both battle cruisers. S leaning far more to the cruiser part and S towards the battleship. I love G fully. Specced both ships full secondary. In S I hunt cruisers more and in G I happily engage BB's. The Tirpitz guns are a total blast for my in G. My love for G has come so far I actually bought premium cammo for it... OP in your build I'd opt for manual secondaries ASAP.

All this in the current meta. I don't have any clue what the "CV change" will bring. I'll come back to this after a few months. If ever. CV's being the game ruininers for me totally. In the current meta the match is decided in the loading screen when 1 or more CV's are present. And by some reason I'm not convinced there will be a change to that whatsoever with the upcoming "rework." From what I've seen the whole game is still centered around that pestilence. I've gotten a lot of negativity when I stated world of warSHIPS before. I don't care. I stick to my POV. Ships, not some idiotic RTS abomination or wowP clone. Ships, boats, vessels. Things that float and move quite slow. Which should duke it out between each other.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this