Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BDubzZz86

Emblem / Insignia - a possible combination?

6 comments in this topic

[ICI]
Beta Tester
218 posts
2,919 battles

Hey Captains,

I'll keep this fairly short as the title is pretty self explanatory. 

There might have been a topic on this already but if not let this be the start of one.

Has WG announced anything in the past about possibly adding a sort of emblem / insignia combination?

I'd very much like a patch with the clan tag on it, for example, and instead of the current variety of emblems they have add an insignia over it. I believe this would add some nice, but simple, diversity to the customization of your "tag".

Dubz Out! 

• Cool 2

[7DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,557 battles
1 hour ago, BDubzZz86 said:

Hey Captains,

I'll keep this fairly short as the title is pretty self explanatory. 

There might have been a topic on this already but if not let this be the start of one.

Has WG announced anything in the past about possibly adding a sort of emblem / insignia combination?

I'd very much like a patch with the clan tag on it, for example, and instead of the current variety of emblems they have add an insignia over it. I believe this would add some nice, but simple, diversity to the customization of your "tag".

Dubz Out! 

No, as there will be enough xxxxx which will abuse it and show forbidden insignia!

[ICI]
Beta Tester
218 posts
2,919 battles
6 hours ago, Arakus said:

No, as there will be enough xxxxx which will abuse it and show forbidden insignia!

Like you are sure this has been said before by WG you mean? If so do you have a link to the post? 

I'm quite curious because I'm sure you could block certain (forbidden) insignias to prevent abuse.

Players
1,082 posts
17,359 battles

Let's see if I get your proposal right: you're asking for an option to include customized (i.e., made by the players/clans) elements (read images) for the emblems to be shown both in-game and here in the forums.

That's fancy but faces quite a problem: such images, in order to be seen by others, have to be sent to every single client. So the difficult part lies in how to distribute them: you either upload them to the servers and wait for them to deal with the spreading, probably with each new patch, or make clients communicate to each other if something in someone's .\customization folder has been added/modified and download or upload accordingly. The former way is the safe one, although it puts a lot of effort into WG's hands (checking that in the expectedly huge amount of pictures to be distributed none is "politically incorrect" and so on), while the latter is a big no-no, because it could become a massive PR mess if some footage of certain uncontrolled content goes live and it also represents a potential security breach.

More choices to the current system, OTOH, shouldn't be much of a problem: instead of two (background, decoration) or three (if we include the clan tag) layered elements like now, divide the current background into three layers and add extra options for all of them (in some cases it might be just a slider controlling the hue), both old and new. I'll describe a way to do it using terms from heraldry because I find it easier to understand and explain with them: one layer would be the field (plain colour or national flag), another one would be a superimposed ordinary like the saltire (the golden X) @Karasu_Hidesuke has in his emblem, then one outlining the escutcheon (the current circles, shields, pentagons...) and finally the charge (the current inner decoration) and the motto (the current clan tag).

Salute.

P.S.: Red Baron 2's "semi-official" servers for competitions (and those that participated in them) found it hard at their time to keep with all the customized paintings people started to use. Some of the ZIP files used for distributing them became as big as half the vanilla game, and it was also a headache the fact that nobody wanted to see their scheme on someone else's plane. When it comes to free customization, MMO players can be as bad as, if not worse than, ladies regarding their dresses at social events.

Players
3,400 posts

WoT has implemented server side custom graphics, albeit very small for clans to use on the hulls of the tanks. In WoT the clan emblems replace the national insignia on the hull, it is not an additional element as such. These are uploaded to game servers and can be changed for a fee later on. Of course, it is entirely possible WoWS is coded differently and they can't allow for this from a technical standpoint.

What could be feasible is as @Estaca_de_Bares says, you could combine freely the elements that are in game to create a custom version based on the elements that you have earned or bought. One drawback that I see with what the game terms as 'Emblems' (which you earn) as opposed to 'Symbols' (that you get from the crates) that the Emblems have been designed as stand alone elements and might not look so good on a 'Patch' background. Not even all the symbols look good on the Saltire because the Saltire is raised on the escutcheon (patch) and at least some of the symbols are centered and thus misaligned while others, like the Beta symbol and the Collecter's symbol are displayed properly on the Saltire.

Sign in to follow this