Sign in to follow this  
UUIAA

HMS Vanguard

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
12 posts
3,394 battles

With a rush of blood to the head I bought this ship.

Several problems.

Single shot fires both the forrard group, A & B turret guns, or the aft group, X and Y turret guns.

Dispersion is massive at the recommended long range engagements.

Do NOT close with the opposition, the ship is a tinder box. First ranging salvos at 14km from bots invariably hit, and if it is HE, starts a fire. As soon as the fire is out the next shell hit invariably starts another, set on fire six times in one battle!

I only play CO-OP, rarely Random, and never any other battle, my latency is now 700mS using Sat. Net, (Change of location, used to be 24mS.).

I am reduced to playing from the back, at 16 to 20km range, my hit ratio has dropped to 30%.I use AP only.

Has anybody any thoughts?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

Single shot fires both the forrard group, A & B turret guns, or the aft group, X and Y turret guns.

No it doesn't. Check your mouse, might be time to get a new one

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

1 - it's a BB, dispersion is massive at any range

2 - who recommends fighting "at long range"? Especially for a co-op player like you?

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

First ranging salvos

There are no ranging salvos in this game. Unless you are extremely bad at aiming your 1st salvo will always already be on target

Also go in settings and turn "Alternative Interface" on. I recommend the "Full" setting for it

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

Do NOT close with the opposition, the ship is a tinder box. First ranging salvos at 14km from bots invariably hit, and if it is HE, starts a fire. As soon as the fire is out the next shell hit invariably starts another, set on fire six times in one battle!

1 - don't repair 1 fire. It can be 100% healable, and depending on your build a single heal can go up to more than 1 fire worth of dmg healed

2 - all ships burn, that's nothing new

3 - you survived to get set on fire 6x because you are in a ship as resilient to dmg as a BB is. In a cruiser or DD you would have been long dead by that point

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

I only play CO-OP, rarely Random

Thank god for that :Smile_trollface:

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

my latency is now 700mS

Time to get better internet then. That's an issue at your end

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

I am reduced to playing from the back, at 16 to 20km range, my hit ratio has dropped to 30%.I use AP only.

Explains how you managed to get sub-85% WR in co-op. Didn't even think that was possible

1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

Get better internet and git gud. That'll solve all the problems listed here, and probably many many more

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
12 posts
3,394 battles

Thank you for your prompt reply.

This has confirmed my own thoughts , and with my location, expensive Sat. Net with a max broadband of 30m and a data cap of 60g per month is the ONLY internet connection. Hence I'm quitting the game.

Beta Tester
12 posts
3,394 battles

Oh, Yes, and where are my manners!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

I am of the opinion that most players in CO-OP battles are there to do their own thing, i.e., work out the capabilities of their new ships.  Co-operation it ain't.

Others are there to work off a "Violators" penalty.

May I suggest that your next investment be a military fast jet pilot's helmet and oxy set. That would really enhance your photograph.

Best regards!

• Funny 1

[TFSB]
80 posts
1,798 battles

Hello UUiAA  :) 

It seems like some of your issues may be caused by your latency? Its very unfortunate. My guess would be, if you get some better internet, you will experience much less issues with the ship, or the game in general, than you do now. 

As of the ship: Each and every ship in the game got a different playstyle. (Most of them.) It is up to you to find out what playstyle you like, and how you can use the Vanguard for your and your teams advantage. Keep playing, and you soon enough  will find yourself dominating the seas for your nation.

Also, training rooms and Co-op battles are really great for practising. 

Hope it'll work out for you!:cap_like: 

Edited by Immoxb
Typo

Beta Tester
12 posts
3,394 battles

Thanks, Immoxb!

I'm afraid I can do little about the internet, it is either 22mb broadband width Sat Net or 200kb at the end of 6 miles of unreliable copper.

I think I'll stick with the Sat Net, it might teach me to anticipate the opposition's moves better.

I have a few days free premium left so I'll bash on , (defo in Co-op!), and see what happens.

I'll take onboard advice given here!

Best regards

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, UUIAA said:

Thanks, Immoxb!

I'm afraid I can do little about the internet, it is either 22mb broadband width Sat Net or 200kb at the end of 6 miles of unreliable copper.

I think I'll stick with the Sat Net, it might teach me to anticipate the opposition's moves better.

I have a few days free premium left so I'll bash on , (defo in Co-op!), and see what happens.

I'll take onboard advice given here!

Best regards

If you're sticking with it try to make sure as few programs are taking up your internet in the background as possible.

No downloads, no online videos, nothing like that. When you're at this high ping every bit matters :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Players
1,014 posts
On 1/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, UUIAA said:

With a rush of blood to the head I bought this ship.

Several problems.

I only play CO-OP, rarely Random, and never any other battle, my latency is now 700mS using Sat. Net, (Change of location, used to be 24mS.).

I have the same thing with the Nelson British ship always being targetted with HE to farm points burning you, it also forces me to play more of a distance game outside Cruiser HE spamming range, seeing as the ship is too slow to even escape it.

All ships burn, but some more than others and the Vanguard is known for being a burner in the CONS posted on WOWS Wiki (quoted below from it). You can take the 4 point skill to limit the ship to 3 max fires per match. That is what I'm working towards doing next with the Nelson, along with taking the 3 point skill that puts fires out (and stops flooding) much  faster as well..

Don't waste your time shooting AP from distance in a Brit BB (not unless it's listed as having very strong AP, not something the Brit ships tend to have). They all pretty much have the best high fire chance shooting HE instead over all other nations ships - and it doesn't need pen to start fires shot at full distance aiming to hit the upper ship structure. AP shot from distance with Brit BB's is usually bad and should only be used when at close to close-mid range, otherwise use the ships better fire chance and spam HE shells at distance.

Read the Pros and Cons about the ship: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Vanguard

Takes large amounts of damage from High Explosive rounds that can penetrate her 32mm plating.

Has 1/4 pen, high damage and high fire chance on her HE shells.

Armament can feel lacking against higher tier battleships, due to her mediocre AP.

Them 3 parts tells you it's best to build the skills with Vanguard to be more fireproof and only shoot AP rounds when much closer in. Well, unless you're  playing a T8 match with lots of low tier ships in it, then you might get away with using AP at distance on them. But you've little chance in T9/10 matches using AP at distance on stronger ships reading WIKI (due to her mediocre AP).

[AAO]
Players
1,480 posts
20,065 battles
9 hours ago, MRGTB said:

ll ships burn, but some more than others and the Vanguard is known for being a burner in the CONS posted on WOWS Wiki (quoted below from it)

9 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Takes large amounts of damage from High Explosive rounds that can penetrate her 32mm plating.

This is not about getting burned (i.e. Fire dmg). This is the direct dmg done by the HE shells.

I'd venture a guess that ships that can't shatter the relevant HE actually burn less that say a Bismarck or Yamato

since concentrated HE-spam melts them before fires can do too much dmg.

• Cool 2

Players
1,014 posts

Okay, so you're saying HE fired at the Vanguard is doing more direct damage than Fire damage. Hmm, in that case then, I can see why he's having to stay at distance all the time and that 4 point skill to reduce fires won't do him much good.

Sign in to follow this