Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Migantium_Mashum

Jean Bart.

21 comments in this topic

Players
1,996 posts

I have the chance of exchanging my coal for the Jean Bart and just wonder before I do about the performance of the Jean Bart?

I welcome any advice, any comments for or against..

I would just like opinions or advice from the people who already have her before making my mind up.

Beta Tester
1,876 posts
12,646 battles

It's essentially a Richelieu with a Main Gun Reload Booster placed at tier 9 as a result. If you like the Richelieu then you should enjoy the JB. I got mine the day it was released and, while I haven't enough games in it yet for my WR to sort itself out, I have enjoyed every game.

• Cool 1

Players
291 posts
13,289 battles

I dont like it, bad 32mm everywhere mean that almost all HE will pen you and Yamato and Musashi will overmatch you easy, so bad armor, but not only bad armor but also guns, low caliber so forced to use a lot of he even on some cruisers. For me combination of that armor and that guns is bad. Dont get me wrong its not bad ship, just average and average dont worth huge 228k price, Musashi much better and even cheaper.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,153 posts
10,117 battles

It's accurate and fun. cannot tank IFHE so it's not a brawler but it's reload booster allows it to punish mistakes.

I'm very happy I spent coal on it.

• Cool 3

[NMA]
Players
1,019 posts
17,233 battles

I love my JB, it's ton of fun, every game with it was a blast.

• Cool 2

Players
1,996 posts

Well that settles it for me.. I go to welcome Jean Bart to my Fleet... and thanks to you all for the help.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

you seem to be doing okay in your Richelieu compared to your other BBs, so you pretty much know what you're getting - the same ship but with offensive capabilities buffed enough to be perfectly viable at T9. If you enjoy playing the Richie, Jean Bart will give you the same style with much better main guns.

• Cool 1

Players
1,996 posts

@Tyrendian89 I do enjoy playing Richelieu to be fair and yes I have a better handle on her than some of my other BB's... thank you for your information.

Players
1,996 posts

Is she good for secondaries? Looking at upgrade 3 and 6 not sure what to equip for her..

Players
2,109 posts
18,535 battles

The performance is great in the hands of a very skilled player. If your positioning is spot on, you can punish any cruiser misplay instantly and even harder than a Scharnhorst.

However, "positioning is hard", as a wise man once pointed out, and even though he was referring specifically to the Yamato, whose gameplay is of course more or less identical to Musashi, as a noob, I find the latter less challenging.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
5 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Is she good for secondaries? Looking at upgrade 3 and 6 not sure what to equip for her..

it's certainly doable - 7km base range coupled with very good firing angles (even the rear-mounted 152mm turrets are surprisingly decent) and a ship that can do pretty well just pointing its nose at a target and raining hellfire and brimstone.

But, there are two main problems.

As has already been mentioned, she's covered in 32mm plating - so you're extremely vulnerable to HE spam, which can be very very bad when trying to get into secondary range.

And most of your guns are 100mm caliber, so if you want them to do any damage whatsoever even to DDs you need IFHE (on top of ManSec and AFT that you need to do a viable secondary spec anyway). That... doesnt exactly leave a lot of room to make a functioning captain in any other regard. Good for a laugh, and exactly what I'm running on my Alsace for the hilarity, but not really what you'd call a super effective build. You're probably better off with CE, FP and AFT (depending on how the AA turns out with the CV Rework), your secondaries will still net you the occasional fire and you've got a much much more well rounded ship otherwise...

• Cool 1

[NMA]
Players
1,019 posts
17,233 battles
21 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Well that settles it for me.. I go to welcome Jean Bart to my Fleet..

Congrats. you'll love it  :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

Players
1,996 posts

Well, I am going to try some coop for practice which will enable me to tweak her if necessary before joining the pvp environment. No point jumping in with an untested ship..

Gone with a secondary build as AA @ 94% is pretty good.. so secondaries now sit at 10.1km... now we shall see.

Players
2,831 posts
18,611 battles
1 hour ago, xxNihilanxx said:

It's essentially a Richelieu with a Main Gun Reload Booster placed at tier 9 as a result. If you like the Richelieu then you should enjoy the JB. I got mine the day it was released and, while I haven't enough games in it yet for my WR to sort itself out, I have enjoyed every game.

this but i have to add a imho crucial thing, it is also more accurate !

this as a package this fixes everything that made the rich  a bit meh

great ship to have fun in

Players
9,358 posts
10,990 battles
1 hour ago, Yamato942 said:

I dont like it, bad 32mm everywhere mean that almost all HE will pen you and Yamato and Musashi will overmatch you easy, so bad armor, but not only bad armor but also guns, low caliber so forced to use a lot of he even on some cruisers. For me combination of that armor and that guns is bad. Dont get me wrong its not bad ship, just average and average dont worth huge 228k price, Musashi much better and even cheaper.

That is why I consider FR and UK battleboats to be battlecruisers, as while they have battleship grade guns, they lack reliable protection. And Moosushi goes away because WG set too low price for it, compared to actual coal gains

[KHARE]
Players
228 posts
4,668 battles
7 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have the chance of exchanging my coal for the Jean Bart and just wonder before I do about the performance of the Jean Bart?

I welcome any advice, any comments for or against..

I would just like opinions or advice from the people who already have her before making my mind up.

Notzer just put a good video out of JB - go watch it. he shows that even on broadside german BBs the AP is quite punishing along with all its other pro's and cons. it may be susceptible to HE spam but what isn't now days... think he had like 4.6million potential damage..

• Cool 1

Players
291 posts
13,289 battles
5 hours ago, Panocek said:

That is why I consider FR and UK battleboats to be battlecruisers, as while they have battleship grade guns, they lack reliable protection. And Moosushi goes away because WG set too low price for it, compared to actual coal gains

Yeah but they have diffrent playstyle. Joan Bart is bad with that 32mm armor everywhere beacuse bow on gameplay, its actually should be played more like dm, close to island, beacuse when HE spam start you can go reverse as musashi or yamato, iowa, etc. but they have strong mid section deck armor and can tank a lot more HE spam and can tank Yamato/Musashi AP on deck while Joan Bart cant, on the other hand if you try U turn, you risking huge chunk of dmg and also beacuse off turret placement its not good for kitting like other ships. Same problem have Dunker and Nelson because of that turret placement but they saw much less ifhe in theirs tiers. Joan Bart can work but its very easy to overextend with it. Musashi will simple win in 1 vs 1 with others bb and ca, while Joan Bart will have hard job, german ca can rush it with torps safely, usa ca can tank him, cl will melt him, etc. Its not terrible ship its just worse then Musashi and Missuri, its average ship not better then free Alsace.

[SHAD]
Players
2,153 posts
10,117 battles
14 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

it's certainly doable - 7km base range coupled with very good firing angles (even the rear-mounted 152mm turrets are surprisingly decent) and a ship that can do pretty well just pointing its nose at a target and raining hellfire and brimstone.

But, there are two main problems.

As has already been mentioned, she's covered in 32mm plating - so you're extremely vulnerable to HE spam, which can be very very bad when trying to get into secondary range.

And most of your guns are 100mm caliber, so if you want them to do any damage whatsoever even to DDs you need IFHE (on top of ManSec and AFT that you need to do a viable secondary spec anyway). That... doesnt exactly leave a lot of room to make a functioning captain in any other regard. Good for a laugh, and exactly what I'm running on my Alsace for the hilarity, but not really what you'd call a super effective build. You're probably better off with CE, FP and AFT (depending on how the AA turns out with the CV Rework), your secondaries will still net you the occasional fire and you've got a much much more well rounded ship otherwise...

Agree with everything above but would add that by the time you try to

brawl ALL your 100mm secondaries have usually been destroyed!

Players
1,996 posts

Well I played my tester games in coop last night, didn't go random until I had practiced with the Bots..

I found JB burns easily but her shells really do some damage... I was scoring up to 30k per salvo when firing AP against German BB's and the speed at which the secondaries fire is phenomenal... Japanese BB's seemed tougher to score points off with AP but when I tried HE it wiped out the secondaries and AA mounts for fun leaving them burning.. In 2 salvoes I nailed a Moskva with 3 citadel hits, I had numerous citadels from other Cruisers too except Hindenburg which for some reason was able to bounce my shells. Any DD's I faced really didn't do very well at all..

So I am glad I got her and thank you to all for the advice.. just now going to watch the video suggested by @kingzy2013

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this