Sign in to follow this  
Europizza

Gearing: whats the secret to contribute to winning battles in it?

34 comments in this topic

Players
2,240 posts
18,089 battles

I've been grinding the gearing for a bit to get to the legendary upgrade, but of all the destroyers I play I have the least fun in her (I play randoms only). Somehow I don't get what's she's about. My damage and PR are average, which is fine with me. But my WR in it is oddly bad. I'm starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong with this ship. Apparently I have a negative influence on the ability to win in the random teams I play in. I also notice that of all the tier X dd's the gearing has the second worst WR overall after the Shima.

I tried playing her aggressively, but get outplayed and killed more often then not very quickly due to planes spotting, radar or for instance British dd's suicide running into me getting us both killed or one of us barely surviving. Not a lot of fun, I usually aim to survive for as long as possible to enjoy the match as long as possible. I tried playing her stealthy, but in that mode the team struggles too because I'm no longer a proper counter to enemy dd's in that play mode and my stealth torpedo tactics that work fine in other dd's somehow don't land enough hits and don't area deny effectively, again not contributing to a team win properly. Usually the team gets annoyed when I play like that and to be fair, when I see a gearing playing like that I get annoyed by it too XD

My 13 pt. captain skills: I: Prio target II: Last stand and Adrenaline Rush III: Surv. Expert IV: Concealment Expert

So my question is: what tactics do you use to help your team win while in a gearing?

[UNICS]
Players
4,296 posts
15,733 battles

I think the hybrid dds have it tougher than before. Gearing doesn't excel at anything and has pretty bad WR overall. No real secrets about Gearing play. You have to be picky which fights to take and play smart.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles

At the moment the Gearing is just a worse Daring.

If we had CVs in the game, maybe the DefAA would help it stand out but as it stands they fulfill roughly the same role but the Daring just has a lot more tools at its disposal for the job.

@Europizza I don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just that the Gearing is not in a good spot at the moment. It's been pushed into irrelevance by power creep.

A year ago, the Gearing and Grozovoi were two sides of the same coin. Now the Grozo blows it out of the water with relative ease.

Players
2,240 posts
18,089 battles

Thank you kind people for the answers. I am playing her a bit more cautiously but not too aloof and my performance has increased a bit, my win rate went from 44 to 47, so I'm hoping this increase will keep up. I still feel a bit helpless in it, very much depending on help from teammates. I'm hoping the legendary will help it a bit, I feel the decreased detectability range might help my issue with it quite a bit.

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
997 posts
21,625 battles

Gearing could use some love after the recent dd releases of insane gun boats that sometimes feature hydro and heal too.

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
997 posts
21,625 battles
1 minute ago, Europizza said:

Thank you kind people for the answers. I am playing her a bit more cautiously but not too aloof and my performance has increased a bit, my win rate went from 44 to 47, so I'm hoping this increase will keep up. I still feel a bit helpless in it, very much depending on help from teammates. I'm hoping the legendary will help it a bit, I feel the decreased detectability range might help my issue with it quite a bit.

Hated the legendary, makes the guns and torpedoes reload slower.  Additionally, if you don't have good support the closer you get to your enemy the more chances there are that you'll get screwed particularly if your enemy has support.  Legendary should be good for clan battles.

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles
7 minutes ago, tsounts said:

Hated the legendary, makes the guns and torpedoes reload slower.  Additionally, if you don't have good support the closer you get to your enemy the more chances there are that you'll get screwed particularly if your enemy has support.  Legendary should be good for clan battles.

I do not even use that there.

DD encounter are short and you need all the DPM you can get.

[-RT-]
Players
237 posts
11,728 battles

Gearing is the DD I like to pick when playing in a 3-man division. It lacks the utility to carry your team when playing solo. And despite the decent gun DPM most of my DMG comes from the torps...

[NMA]
Players
1,016 posts
17,198 battles

Gearing is still my favorite DD (well, YY was my favorite DD but after the nerf... I don't want to talk about it.... :Smile-angry:)

Even after release of daring, haragumo, grozo buffs....I still come back to gearing as my no1 choice. It comfortably fits the role of a true hybrid DD. And with legendary module it's even better.

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
997 posts
21,625 battles
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I actually sold mine, even though it was an accident...

Players
2,240 posts
18,089 battles
23 minutes ago, tsounts said:

14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I can see your point, both. But what annoys me the most is being out spotted in the gearing. I lose the opportunity to pick my battles that way. I only play random mostly so the leg. might not help much since it will still keeps me depending on the help of a random team, but at least i can choose when to engage and when not to myself instead of being out spotted. At least that's what I hope. But i can definitely see the downside in lower DPM when trading damage with other dd's.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles
5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

RPF can help you to select your battles better.

I use that as well. The only real advantage you have against grozo, daring or harugumo is if you get the drop on them and you rip them a new one with your guns.

in an equal encounter a gearing is toast.

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

You out-DPM Grozo.

Haragumo is sluggish and should be no problem with support.

Daring is the most dangerous of the three for you. Chose your battles with care.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles
14 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

You out-DPM Grozo.

Haragumo is sluggish and should be no problem with support.

Daring is the most dangerous of the three for you. Chose your battles with care.

Unless the Gearing is running a gun spec, it doesn't out dps the Grozo. They are both around 215-220k dpm. Then obviously, the Grozo's laser arcs allow it to hit much more reliably.

And even a full gun spec Gearing will struggle against a Grozo due to the usual smoke which is then coupled with heals. The Grozo has around 35k effective health.

A full health Harugumo on the other hand, has around 300k dpm. So even getting the jump on it means that it has enough time, to turn its guns and then still kill you with relative ease.

Basically I think all 3 are super dangerous and I would try to avoid all of them if possible. If not, I would try to bait them so I can shoot at them from my smoke otherwise you just get blown out of the water.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

Gearing has 216k base HE DPM, Grozo has 162k.

Haragumo has 240k.

Daring has 244k and 302k AP DPM, which is what makes her that dangerous.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Gearing has 216k base HE DPM, Grozo has 162k.

Haragumo has 240k.

Daring has 244k and 302k AP DPM, which is what makes her that dangerous.

Base yeah. But most people spec Gearing for torpedoes while Grozo gets specced for guns. So the Gearing doesn't get anything while the Grozo gets to around 219k dpm.

Harugumo again, specced for guns (I see no reason why it wouldn't be) hits roughly 300k dpm as does the Daring. I also don't think the AP is what makes it dangerous but rather the fact that it has more health and better DPM and a heal on its HE than the Gearing. So in a 1v1, the Gearing simply cannot beat it. It loses at its own game (even if fully gun specced).

I am comparing the ships based on their most common specs in game rather than base.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

The captains spec and ship setup is the players responsibility.

As I said before, winning the battle at the cap is the deciding factor. That is why I took the gun reload upgrade for my Gearing.

I do not have much problems winning the battles at caps.

Torp damage is good for your average damage, but does help much to win the cap contest.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles

Still doesn't change the fact that a gun specced Daring has more DPM, more health and more effective health than a Gearing.

Obviously though, as long as you don't run into one of those 3 super scary boats then the Gearing can still do OK.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

That is why I said the Daring is the most dangerous of the three.

Grozo is rarely much trouble.

Haragumo depends on your position. With good support she is toast and you half dead. If you overextended you are toast or can get away half dead with smoke. 

Fighting against Daring works similarly, just harder.

[TTTX]
1,460 posts
14,225 battles

I get you but I just find it strange.

I mean I play the Grozo a lot and genuinely Gearing is not an issue. It feels like a bump in the road. The guns on the Grozo are so accurate and the fact that it has so much health makes it incredibly scary against Gearings in my experience.

And 220k DPM while not great, is nothing to scoff at.

Not disputing that a Daring or Harugumo will kill you faster though. It is all down to DPM. But I find the Harugumo more dangerous again due to ballistics. Not a huge difference though.

I think we both agree that the Gearing would rather not fight any of these.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

A fully upgraded Grozo (without Legendary Upgrade and AdrenalinR effect) gets to 204k HE DPM.

A Gearing with the same upgrades has 272k DPM (245k DPM without BFT).

You fight around 6km where the Gearings balistics are not an issue.

With a friendly radar ship or other spotter a Grozo can use more distance and should have an advantage after 8km.

[-RT-]
Players
237 posts
11,728 battles

So how often do you run into those Gearing vs Grozovoi fights around a capzone?

I tried gun spec Gearing and imo it's simply not a viable build since the opportunities to use your nice gun dpm are unfortunately rare in your average T10 game.

[CATS]
Players
24,678 posts
13,670 battles

There are a lot of other DD in the game.

Most of them are Shimas who do not want to fight and prefer to flee. You have only a short window to sink them --> you need DPM.

Sign in to follow this