You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

Black or Flint

24 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
1,104 posts
18,640 battles

Captains, with the steel now building up I will be able to get the Black or the Flint, which in your opinion will be best, I have been mostly playing RN CL and DD of late.

[UNICS]
Players
1,344 posts
18,913 battles

Black since ranked will be arms race t9 , u can strong camo for black aswell..

Edit : looking at your stats tho , i would rather not get the black because usn dd's are high skill floor ships and you only play uss smith before

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
24 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Captains, with the steel now building up I will be able to get the Black or the Flint, which in your opinion will be best, I have been mostly playing RN CL and DD of late.

black....only DD with radar and smoke.

Flint is similar to Belfast

Players
4,408 posts
7,593 battles

My 2p (having played neither):

• Black - dedicated T9 competitive and very good at it;
  • Flint - more fun to play in random battles as credit/XP farmer.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles

If you plan on playing in the upcoming Ranked season and/or are concerned about what the cv rework will do to Flint then get the Black.

If you want to have a gorgeous looking and fun cruiser that is like Atlanta but different and maybe don't have the Atlanta yet then get the Flint to farm plebs in randoms.

tl.dr:

Black is the more competetive ship and Flint is more a fun ship for farming randoms/operations and very similar to Atlanta

• Cool 3

[TTT]
Players
576 posts
12,044 battles
1 hour ago, Cyclops_ said:

Blyatfast uber alles.

On a serious note I would go for the Black. A bit more value, carry potential and unique gamplay.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,027 posts
5,168 battles

I got absolutely owned by a Flint yesterday in my Duke of York, though that was more because he had support and could smoke up to spam me whereas my team chose the YOLO-oh-we've-sunk tactic which, to be fair, they excelled at. It's a bit too close to my Atlanta for me to be tempted into buying it though.

I spent my steel on the Black this morning and so far, I'm delighted. Managed a hit with the sea mines on an enemy Chung Mu and chased another DD out of his smoke with my radar. Great ship, certainly worth considering if you're a fan of gunboat DDs. I've been enjoying RN DDs recently, more than any other nation, and I've found it to be a good fit with a similar playstyle, though you'll want a 10-point captain at a minimum because at that tier everyone else will have at least that.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,787 posts
10,706 battles

There was a thread started on this topic on the 1st January 2019:   

[SM0KE]
Players
4,866 posts
11,865 battles

FWIW I went with Black, for a couple of reasons:

• Upcoming Ranked season.
  • More useful trainer for my US DD captains.
  • Variety.

It was close though; if I ever manage to suck sufficiently little to get enough steel for Flint, I'll get her like a shot.

I haven't had time to play my Black much yet though; initial impressions are very positive, although the sea mines take some getting used to (even if you have Sims already), and there is a bit of a knack to making the most of the radar/smoke combination, if you aren't already practiced in that sort of thing.

• Cool 1

Players
132 posts
7,686 battles

Just because you have enough steel for a ship doesn't mean you should immediately spend it.

If you burn through the steel you have now it will take you ages to get a T10 steel ship.

For that reason alone I would personally consider Flint and Black a waste of steel,  but then again I dont care about ships below tier 9 and i'm really tired of high tier DD gameplay because of radar.

But if you really want one of those ships then watch some gameplay on youtube ect, because no one knows what you prefer and it's like asking people what you should eat for diner.

[BBMM]
Players
5,519 posts
6,675 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Baptist said:

If you burn through the steel you have now it will take you ages to get a T10 steel ship.

A very valid point there. I'd get Flint and buy a Sims though, just to farm credits, train captains and troll operations.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,027 posts
5,168 battles
21 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I haven't had time to play my Black much yet though; initial impressions are very positive, although the sea mines take some getting used to ...

My initial impression is fairly positive too ... :cap_rambo:

os25s6t.jpg

I've had best results from the sea mines by dropping them at known chokepoints and forgetting about them (northern entry to D on Two Brothers was particularly successful). I haven't encountered anyone daft enough to straight-line for the length of time it takes the mines to arrive.

An unforeseen side-effect is that the mines are really helping my map knowledge as I have to think about where the enemy are likely to be, what areas I want to deny, etc., more so than with faster torps as I've always had the second thought of using them offensively.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,519 posts
6,675 battles
1 minute ago, Strappster said:

I've had best results from the sea mines....

I was thinking, sea mines? Then it dawned on me... :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
1,808 posts
12,233 battles

I went with Flint as I haven't got Atlanta and I have already Sims for training and sea mines. If Flints AA will be useless after CV rework then Black will be in an even worse position. 

[BBMMX]
Players
1,027 posts
5,168 battles
13 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

If Flints AA will be useless after CV rework then Black will be in even worse position. 

You mean a DD's AA may not be as strong as that of an AA cruiser? Hmm ... I suspect you might be right about that. :cap_wander:

Black's AA should still be pretty good compared to other DDs though so I don't see whatever changes happen as being much of a stumbling block.

[SM0KE]
Players
4,866 posts
11,865 battles
22 minutes ago, Strappster said:

I've had best results from the sea mines by dropping them at known chokepoints and forgetting about them

This coincides with other recommendations that I've read - this is the key thing I've been trying to get the hang of. Very early days for me though...

Initial impressions are that it's quite nice to be able to make a cap a no-go zone for the enemy for a significant number of seconds (at least if they can't dodge), assuming it's within the torps' reach.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,622 posts
19,149 battles

Had the same "problem" as the OP and came to the same result, but for different reasons:

• I generally don't like to play US cruisers, so I'm not in need of a trainer for US cruiser captains
  • I already own a Dakka-dakka ship... Krispy Kreme (okay, it's only T5 but still loads of fun...)
  • I already own the Sims, so a trainer for US DDs wasn't needed, but Black seems a bit like Sims on steroids with radar... soo...

... it's a Black, m'am...

Players
2,799 posts
15,742 battles
13 hours ago, Capra76 said:
  • Black - dedicated T9 competitive and very good at it;
  • Flint - more fun to play in random battles as credit/XP farmer.

Have  both collecting rust in port.

Flint is alot more of a fun boat. I use it occasionally for operations

Black is okay, but nothing special. Lackluster gunpower and Torpedes are a game breaker for me....Kitakaze, Jutland and the radar meta have powercreeped it hard (it feels crazy saying the gunpower of a usn dd is lackluster...but compared to the newer dd læines, it is)

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,019 posts
10,248 battles

This was a question that kept me awake.  My experience with smoking CLs at Tiers VI - VIII has been entirely positive and it took a lot not to go for Flint

Three battles, three losses in Black so far, and I've yet to really get to grips with it.   Seems the ship is pretty good, so I  just need to get better in it.

Beta Tester
109 posts
8,365 battles

Having both of them , i'd say get both once you have the chance . 
Flint is a tr 7 Worcester  with smoke also the captain syncs very well on both ships if you use CE+IFHE+AFT so minimum of 18 points to play at it's true power .

Now the Black it's a very good ship , however that smoke+radar makes me overly aggressive which most of the times results in me getting obliterated or getting out with far too low HP to be of any use in another gunfight which results in me having the use the sea mines ... can't say i have good results with this tactic , also i had to use a dedicated captain since it doesn't sync that well with my Gearing . 

[OGHF]
Players
1,104 posts
18,640 battles

Thanks for all your input Captains.

in the end I decided to go for the Flint, so far so good, best Random Game I came top with 85k damage dealt and 2 sinkings 🙂