You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
British_Imperialist

The hell is wrong with Hipper's guns?

32 comments in this topic

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles

Why do I have absolutely no viable response to a bow in Battleship? I could load the HE, but the HE has an Alpha of 2500. 33% of your Alpha is your HE penetration damage, so a HE penetration deals 758 damage. Presuming I'm angled and can only fire my front guns, I can only effectively deal 2000 damage every 12 seconds. 13% fire chance is also really mediocre for a Tier 8 Cruiser with 203s. It appears the only thing you can do against any Battleship with half a brain is to run away and hope he doesn't citadel you through the arse, or rip you to pieces with AP that you can't heal because apparently giving a Tier 8 Cruiser a heal would be too much.

Players
8,724 posts
8,662 battles

Or if its a small caliber BB (<386mm guns) , you can just rush him down bow on since he cant overmatch your bow :cap_haloween:then torp him to death.

In any case: Try to get to a position where you can fire AP at broadside targets. Roon and Hindenburg HE isnt much better damage wise. They do however can pen 50mm of armor, so they can hurt BBs at places other 203mm Cruisers cant. Hipper too btw.

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Or if its a small caliber BB (<386mm guns) , you can just rush him down bow on since he cant overmatch your bow :cap_haloween:then torp him to death.

In any case: Try to get to a position where you can fire AP at broadside targets. Roon and Hindenburg HE isnt much better damage wise. They do however can pen 50mm of armor, so they can hurt BBs at places other 203mm Cruisers cant. Hipper too btw.

Thanks. That's all well and good in tier 8 games where you get the unlucky tier 6 bb but i keep running into tier 9 and 10 bbs and just feel helpless

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,507 battles

I try to work the flanks with her and get juicy angles on broadsides. 

Just keep an eye out for not over extending. 

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
7,508 battles

@ the title: Nothing.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,444 posts
11,389 battles

I grinded the Hipper before its HE shells/guns were buffed (cant remember which). Initially during my grind i stuck to HE like every other cruiser.

After getting frustrated with HE i stuck to AP. Wayyyyy better i tell you. If the BB is bow in just aim for the superstructure.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

Presuming I'm angled and can only fire my front guns

Did you know you can wiggle? Fire all guns, angle back for the return salvo

1 hour ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

That's all well and good in tier 8 games where you get the unlucky tier 6 bb but i keep running into tier 9 and 10 bbs and just feel helpless

386mm and smaller guns:

• t8
    • Bismarck
    • Derpitz
    • Roma
    • Richelieu
    • Gascogne
    • Monarch
    • Vanguard
  • t9
    • Alsace
    • Jean Bart
  • t10
    • Bourgogne

Clearly no such ships exist above t6 :fish_palm:

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

• t9
    • Alsace
    • Jean Bart
  • t10
    • Bourgogne

Clearly no such ships exist above t6 :fish_palm:

These ships are the exception, not the norm. Stop trying to be snarky.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,213 posts
6,134 battles
35 minutes ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

These ships are the exception, not the norm. Stop trying to be snarky.

No, the other ships are the exception.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,147 posts
18,879 battles

Hipper is a second line support. If you need to angle so much that you cannot frequently use all your guns, you're quite frankly too close.

(Unless ofc you're rushing someone down with your torps.)

And before you say it, there is a difference between keeping yourself inside your effective range and camping.

Tbh I rarely used AP in the Hipper and when I did it was only against broadside targets. HE worked just fine. While your HE alpha is anemic, the area you can penetrate with Hipper HE is usually much larger than with other ships so you can still get comparable results by virtue of fewer HE shells shattering.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,153 posts
10,117 battles

You’re annoyed you cannot pen a bow-on same tier battleship? Only a Musashi could!

Dont forget, the Hipper has better bow armour than a scharnhorst and twice as many torps. Charge in against 381mm or belt bait Larger calibre and torp them!

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
170 posts
9,703 battles
10 hours ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

Why do I have absolutely no viable response to a bow in Battleship?could load the HE

Fixed it for you
I mean are you seriously complaining that a cruiser dumb enough to try getting into a slugging match with a BB is in a disadvantage?

It appears the only thing you can do against any Battleship with half a brain is to run away

You know what? lets throw in some WASD hacks, keep setting him on fire with previous mentioned HE and call it " kiting"

[ONE2]
Players
3,064 posts
20,038 battles
10 hours ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

Thanks. That's all well and good in tier 8 games where you get the unlucky tier 6 bb but i keep running into tier 9 and 10 bbs and just feel helpless

They will die on those torps just the same, you just have to plan more carefully... Rush them from behind an island cover for example to minimize the time you soend under fire. Other than that, mount some flags to increase your fire chance and burn them from a distance. Mainly I use Hipper against other Cruisers tho and try to avoid one-on-one contest with high tier BB's, at the least until there is own BB nearby to take the lead. :Smile_Default:

Supertester
314 posts
7,285 battles

Well to be honest the bigger Problem with the Hipper is probably that she is just a Glass Canon now. Because now the Eugen has the tankiness and heal. While the hipper has fast firing guns in comparison to eugen and is just there.

I think to be honest the ship is fin and if you think you are doing badly then maybe try to use different ammo type on different targets. Since this is mostly a feeling thing. So you know what can pen it or not.

If you dont like shouting HE all the time then go for ap and try to be sneak as much as possible find positions behind islands and surprise the enemie with ap salvos in there broadside from close ranges but also make sure there is a way to get out of this alive since you are still a glass canon.

since if you complain about eugen then what do you think people in mogami or even atlanta are going to do?

[AAO]
Players
1,471 posts
20,065 battles
48 minutes ago, DragonstrikerOrigin said:

Well to be honest the bigger Problem with the Hipper is probably that she is just a Glass Canon now.

You just made my day. :Smile_trollface:

Players
291 posts
13,289 battles

Good AP is a lot worse to have then good HE, and with time, since more players know to angle which is really noticable, now and 2 years ago, its huge diffrence, overall good ap will be less effectice then good HE, HE is always relevant, because doesnt matter if enemy potato or unicum, dmg will be done. German cruisers, german dds suffer a lot becuse HE is crap at best and AP is easy to counter with just a little angling. Good ap, bad he is relevant only if really good ap angle pen which german dont have.

[BOYS]
Players
130 posts
8,943 battles

Battleship is your counter. Probably every cruiser on this tier has the same problem. If you're lucky enough, you can get to torp them, either by ambushing them or bow tanking. Hipper's strenghts are in strong AP and torpedo systems. If you want to take down a BB you'll have to figure out a way to use them. 1v1 you don't stand a chance if they're expecting you. Better bring some buddies with you and work with them. One tip I can give is: watch the minimap. Take a look at the enemy presence in the area you're entering and if it looks bad, come up with something else. See if others in your team have line of sight to help you, and that they are not preoccupied with something else.

[4_0_4]
Players
7,248 posts
13,357 battles
On 1/17/2019 at 11:17 PM, Amaterasu_Regale said:

Tier 8 Cruiser a heal

Well, Eugen got the heal, while Hipper got the DPM buff.

Players
7,426 posts
8,251 battles
9 hours ago, DragonstrikerOrigin said:

Well to be honest the bigger Problem with the Hipper is probably that she is just a Glass Canon now.

Glass cannon would mean Hipper has meaningful damage output.

• Funny 1

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles
9 hours ago, Breezewind said:

Battleship is your counter. Probably every cruiser on this tier has the same problem. If you're lucky enough, you can get to torp them, either by ambushing them or bow tanking. Hipper's strenghts are in strong AP and torpedo systems. If you want to take down a BB you'll have to figure out a way to use them. 1v1 you don't stand a chance if they're expecting you. Better bring some buddies with you and work with them. One tip I can give is: watch the minimap. Take a look at the enemy presence in the area you're entering and if it looks bad, come up with something else. See if others in your team have line of sight to help you, and that they are not preoccupied with something else.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot I was in a mid tier Cruiser where I'm absolutely helpless against 50% of the enemy team because for some reason it takes until Tier 10 for Cruisers to actually be able to do anything to Battleships.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
170 posts
9,703 battles
15 minutes ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

Oh yeah sorry I forgot I was in a mid tier Cruiser where I'm absolutely helpless against 50% of the enemy team because for some reason it takes until Tier 10 for Cruisers to actually be able to do anything to Battleships.

That says more about the captain than the poor ship tbh. 
Feel free to contact me ingame, can do some divs and give you some pointers.

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles
6 minutes ago, Gl0cK_17 said:

That says more about the captain than the poor ship tbh. 
Feel free to contact me ingame, can do some divs and give you some pointers.

i mean maybe it is me but i shouldnt have to be purple to have fun at most tiers in the game...

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
170 posts
9,703 battles
31 minutes ago, Amaterasu_Regale said:

i mean maybe it is me but i shouldnt have to be purple to have fun at most tiers in the game...

You get skilled by practising and learning, becoming skilled leads to more winning. Fun however is not necceseraly tied to skill.

Cruisers are not ment to go 1v1 brawl with a battleship. Theres only a handfull of cruisers which might pull it off every now and then (useally from a ambush). but in general you kite, you harras, you support,  you wait untill one makes a mistake and then jump on them. But your first priority is not shooting a BB anyways, its protecting your DDs. 

And if you think tier 10 cruisers have miracle armor that are immune to BBs and can citadel them from the front, you are dead wrong. Playing a tier 10 cruiser is less forgiving.

• Cool 1