You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

What If - S1E2

16 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
1,193 posts
9,073 battles

What If? (Season 1 Episode 2)

*** EDIT BY OP ***

THIS IS A BAD POST - Continue reading at your own risk

Dear forum members kindly consider that I am thinking out loud and I am exposing my thoughts to public scrutiny.

(having seen some of the responses in many posts on our forum I think that there should be an honorary achievement badge for this (lol), however, I am old enough to handle the backlash)

What If we not only had tiers for ships but for players as well?

Working hypothesis / assumption:

Lets assume one category with a threshold of 55% Victories and 3,000 Battles in Random. This would be Tier A.

One more category with a threshold of 50% Victories and 2,000 Battles in Random. This Would be Tier B.

and you can go on and on and create as many leagues or tiers as you want. (percentages and battle numbers are here for illustration purposes only - setting the thresholds for tiers is a rather demanding job and it requires a multi variable analysis that isn't the purpose of this post. Just keep the concept of tiering/segregating players on the basis of their played battles and their results - other metrics could apply)

So, players would play in their respective tier/league having as opponents players of the same tier/league (as well as, theoretically, quality and ability)

Reflecting on the above I came to realize the following: (among others and not in any order)

a. Seal-clubing wont be easy anymore as I doubt you will find a seal with 55% and 3,000 battles (well you can have a second account of low tier but how will you keep your win ratio low?);

b. Potato* infested games - an issue that seasoned players (and self proclaimed good players) complain about - wouldn't be possible since players are tiered. I find it very improbable that a 56% WR player would call a 55% WR player a potato*;

c. At all tiers the game will be more competitive. You cant really compete with 1,000 battles under your belt with a player of 6,000 battles. Same applies for WR;

d. Players with high WR will see their win rates go down (they are competing with high quality players not potatoes*) and players with low WR will see their WR rise as the competition in their respective tier/league would be of a lower standard;

e. Less moaning and crying in the forum (LOL);

f. Increase in the waiting time to play a battle in the high tiers/leagues (players will be less in the high tiers as low skill players outnumber high skill players);

I also believe that WG would benefit, as pay to win would be more applicable in the low tiers. This is a more complicated issue. The business planing of WG is not known to me and I will refrain from thinking about it any more.

And as we will all miss the potato* infested battles and we will have no reason to be drama queens on this forum we will demand from WG to make a Free To All game league and we will all play there making the Tiers/Leagues redundant.

So why make Tier/Leagues in the first place.

Hypothesis stochastically analyzed and rejected.

Your critical analysis of the aforementioned is highly appreciated and sought after.

Looking forward to your responses

Sincerely Yours,

Saltface 

*Please note that being a novice potato myself I use the term potato in a non denigrating way but simply to follow forum colloquial.

Edited by Saltface
Corrections
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

been discussed to death, back to life and right back to death about fifty seven million eight hundred ninety three thousand and one time already... frankly, I'm too lazy to repeat all the arguments against it...

• Cool 4

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
7,535 battles

Your posts are not getting any better or making any more sense...please stop...

What is that pay to win you speak about? Do you have any evidence or are you just another "special" tin foil hat wearer?

As pointed, this has been discussed to death, google is your friend, and please THINK before posting...

• Cool 1

Players
2,310 posts

You are proposing skill WR based MM? One WG said will never implement?

As much as I'd like to see skill increase in Random Battles, I feel there is no cure for potato infested waters...

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles

All players (the best and the worst) would constantly move back and forth between Tier B and their old Tier.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,478 posts
22,974 battles
15 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

been discussed to death, back to life and right back to death about fifty seven million eight hundred ninety three thousand and one time already... frankly, I'm too lazy to repeat all the arguments against it...

here, have it easy next time :Smile_honoring::Smile_trollface::

5795170dab532b9aa808abe371796e78--animal

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,193 posts
9,073 battles

Dear @Juanx,,

Thank you for posting and being critical. I am terribly sorry you don't find my posts sensible.

As I mentioned in the beginning of my post I am thinking out loud. No harm to that I guess.

As I only have 29 posts I cant see how I have a "history" in posting. So, I guess we will have to see more of my posts in order to safely establish if they are getting any better.

Concerning my tin foil hat I will kindly ask you if you catch me wearing one to call me out and put me back in my place. Nevertheless, it is a common wrong assumption (more observable in new players) that by paying for premium you get more than others. Maybe I did not express my self properly and led to this misunderstanding. I should have a more explanatory note on this one as it is a sensitive issue.

Many things have been discussed, nevertheless, we all want to add our two cents. Kindly indulge me.

And kindly accept that I do think before posting and yes, I do know how to google.

Still I value your comments even though I am a tad disheartened by the aggressive tone. But maybe I am wrong and it was only critical.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,478 posts
22,974 battles
1 minute ago, Saltface said:

Dear @Juanx,,

Thank you for posting and being critical. I am terribly sorry you don't find my posts sensible.

As I mentioned in the beginning of my post I am thinking out loud. No harm to that I guess.

As I only have 29 posts I cant see how I have a "history" in posting. So, I guess we will have to see more of my posts in order to safely establish if they are getting any better.

Concerning my tin foil hat I will kindly ask you if you catch me wearing one to call me out and put me back in my place. Nevertheless, it is a common wrong assumption (more observable in new players) that by paying for premium you get more than others. Maybe I did not express my self properly and led to this misunderstanding. I should have a more explanatory note on this one as it is a sensitive issue.

Many things have been discussed, nevertheless, we all want to add our two cents. Kindly indulge me.

And kindly accept that I do think before posting and yes, I do know how to google.

Still I value your comments even though I am a tad disheartened by the aggressive tone. But maybe I am wrong and it was only critical.

u know, i like ur attitude on communications, really do :Smile_honoring:! nevertheless a short search in here would've revealed the mountains of topics and posts on the matter, so may check in detail next time an idea hits u. someone else might already had it before and, in that case, most likely the matter is known and discussed through already as well.

no one likes dead horses, they tend to stink....

to conclude, i think the number tyrendian gave is approximately right, +/- a few thousands lol...

Players
2,310 posts
2 minutes ago, Saltface said:

(...)

(...)

Your very mature response in uncalled for... Be aware it might even induce some kind of shock / long term damage to our forum troll... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
1,415 posts
8,244 battles

Nah, I would really HATE a skill based mm.

Sometimes I enjoy being in a bad team and be able to outweight them and get a win nonetheless. In that way you could sink 6 - 7 enemy ships and know that you could make a difference.

If everybody are equally good (or equally bad) battles would be quite boring. Just one or max two sinks per player.

Even worse, high winrate games would be full of ships which camps behind islands, dds hiding in smoke screen or torpedoing from afar, nobody would want to push and just everybody would wait for the enemy. That would be dull as fck.

[NWP]
Players
1,193 posts
9,073 battles

Dear @Skyllon,

I really don't know how to react to your answer. 

I promise I will refrain from being mature, unless it is necessary.

I think I m rather content that I know that I can behave like a child (that I am not) and get away with it. LOL

Trust me it has never been and I hope it will never be my intention to cause harm. Even if I am trolled. LOL

But I am well trained. My son constantly tries to troll me.

Be well,

Saltface

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,357 posts
5,728 battles

winrate based mm doesnt work. Once you reach the league with 55% winrate players, your 55% winrate is not good anymore, its averege, so you will drop down to 50% again...

A winrate based mm system will always result in everyone having exactly 50% winrate.

[ODB]
Alpha Tester
2,916 posts
11,364 battles

Skill based mm? I just want a player base that's for the most part at least marginally skilled. In fact, most players these days in high tiers are simply just skilled. In fact (again), I'm all for a killed-based mm. If the mm can balance the average death ratio / survival time of players maybe both teams with have players that stay alive more or less the same length of time. But then again, many bad players stay alive quite long skirting the borders and such, while us blessed few who are not afraid of a few pixel fires and citadels like to get up close and personal and die like heroes, most of the time scoring far more than out compatriot spectator tourist like team mates.

What an utter load of rubbish. Sorry, I'm thinking out load - now you see what I have to deal with inside my head!

• Cool 1

Players
2,544 posts
12,556 battles
3 hours ago, Skyllon said:

Be aware it might even induce some kind of shock / long term damage to our forum troll... :Smile_teethhappy:

The damage might already have been done, since he didn't call the OP out for having some kind of disease or forgetting medications.

• Funny 1