9 comments in this topic

Question

Players
606 posts

Not sure where is best to ask this, but I'm tangling myself in knots because I can't decide what I want to do with my USN captains.

USN ships I currently have are:

Charlston (my only prem USN ship, currently got an 'old' 9pt New Mex captain in her with the intention to grind to a 10pt captain for 'something')

Pensacola (with perma cammo and a dedicated captain I am slowly grinding for operations only. No issues with this one.)

Cleveland (from the line split, with perma cammo and am keeping her for Cherry Blossom). I've just transferred her 12pt captain so she is captainless atm

Baltimore is a blast whatever the game mode and a keeper for sure. Currently have a 15pt captain on her and I don't know if I should transfer him or not.

Buffalo I have played 2 co-op matches in with the 12pt captain from Cleveland. I am viewing this ship as a stepping stone to DM and not planning on keeping.

North Carolina is another 15pt captain and the ship is also a keeper. I've unlocked but not purchased Iowa... not sure if she will be a keeper or not, but monty is the goal!

Captains in 'reserve':

Alexander Ovechkin who I am keeping ready for my USN DD grind

I have enough coal to purchase John Doe and am considering him for DM

William Halsey is pretty much a pipe dream at the moment - I've completed the first stage of the Isokoru campaign and will see that through first!

I've also got a 9pt captain on Independence and a 6pt on Bogue although I'll probably keep them 'reserved' for a possible CV grind

My quandry is: What is more important? To have the high-point captains on the top tier ships? Or keep the high point captains on the ships I enjoy and start a 'new' captain on the next ship grind? Should I buy John Doe now, train him and start earning points on Buffalo before switching to DM? I don't have a lot of resource for switching/retraining captains on new ships so prefer to keep this to a minimum. I do have about 95k elite captain xp which I can use if necessary.

I don't know if this ramble makes any sense (I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill) but if anyone has any tips/advice on what might be the best course of action, I'd much appreciate it.

8 answers to this question

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, Rusty_9 sagte:

What is more important? To have the high-point captains on the top tier ships? Or keep the high point captains on the ships I enjoy and start a 'new' captain on the next ship grind?

This is a game and you should enjoy it. It all depends on what you want, but if I like a ship, I'd put a good captain on it and play it as often as I want.

If you plan to play clan wars, you should have the special captains on your T10 ships though.

Vor 19 Minuten, Rusty_9 sagte:

Should I buy John Doe now, train him and start earning points on Buffalo before switching to DM?

John Doe is great for DM, so if you have the coal, go for it.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,420 posts
14,936 battles

@Rusty_9 My suggestions would vary a bit depending on a number of factors, including how much of a raging ship collection habit you have (or expect to have), and how much, if any, mula you can spend on the game. The following tends to assume my own approach which is very bad at keeping a minimalist ship collection, and prone to spending money on the game.

As you know, one key goal is to get hold of a first 19 point captain; that captain then starts earning elite xp, which speeds up the development of other captains, and (hopefully) starts a bit of a snowball effect - each 19 pointer makes the acquisition of the next one easier, and so on. However, this only works if your 19 pointers are on ships you're happy to play a lot, and do tolerably well with.

If you're f2p, elite xp will help remove the need to spend when moving captains between ships, which is also a consideration.

Broadly-speaking, I try and have the best captains I can on higher tier ships, as you can be sure the opposition (in general) is more likely to do so as well, as well as on anything that I'll be using in more competitive modes (Clans and/or Ranked) - I need all the help I can get, plus the opposition will do exactly that too. I also try and avoid missing any chance to pick up 10+ point captains, even if there is no use for them right away - apart from 'expensive build' ships, this means I usually have a 'good enough' captain available for most things, even if I don't want to move a 'better' captain over. *Never* pass up a free 10+ captain (at least until you have more elite xp than you know what to do with, and probably even then).

I sometimes have pairs of captains 'leapfrogging', as I go up silver lines e.g. my T8 KM DD has a 18(? maybe 17) pointer assigned, from when I was grinding that one; the T9 has a 13 pointer, which is (arguably) 'good enough', at least unless I want to use it in the upcoming Ranked, and he will get better as I work towards unlocking the T10; the T10 is going to get the captain from the T8, at which point the T8 will be assigned a new 10-pointer. I should mention though, that I have a couple of premium ships as well; which captain they get varies depending on need - they'll get a lower point one in randoms (to help develop 'good enough' into 'good' eventually), and the best one I have available for competitive modes.

At time of writing, I have three 19 point captains, which illustrate different approaches, although all are intended to provide a steady stream of elite xp, and I always have half an eye on the next captain to be got to 19 points:

• Fubuki (!): this one is really my Asashio captain, and is skilled accordingly; however, the skills work with Fubuki, and she's a 'keeper' - so, technically a T6 keeper with a top captain. In all honesty, if I didn't have Asashio, I would probably have done something else with this captain.
  • Akizuki: this one gets more use on my Harekaze, and is skilled for the latter, but is an example of a good captain on the top ship reached on a particular tree. When I eventually unlock the T9, I'll probably start that ship with a new 10-pointer (ideally, more though), to repeat the process I'm using with the KM DDs.
  • Grozovoi: classic 19 pointer on a T10; this was my first T10 ship, and I often use it in Clans/Ranked so it makes sense to put a 19 pointer here. I have several Russian premiums that work well with this captain, but he's skilled for Groz.

Crucially, all three 19 point captains are either on ships I play a lot (and like, so playing them plenty isn't a chore), and/or are very usable on my available premiums. If you have premium ships in your collection, it's no bad thing to err towards focusing on getting 19 pointers that will work with your premiums (the higher tier/more fun ones at least); you can even do this in the 'wrong' order e.g. my Musashi currently has my Yamamoto Isoroku in it - he's being developed as a Yamato captain, even though I'm probably at least six months away from having that ship; by the time I get it, he should be at least close to 19 points, so making him an imminent source of more elite xp.

BTW don't forget that we'll probably get a captain re-spec with the CV rework launch; apart from the costs associated with the exercise (either doubloons or free/elite xp, if you want to move them between silver ships), this provides an opportunity to completely re-do any/all captains you have.

Edit: have you bagged all the freebie captains from the various Ops that award them - if not, make sure you do when the relevant ones roll around.

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts

@Verblonde Thanks for the well structured reply! There is a lot there to digest, but it all seems to make sense.

I am (as you have probably figured) F2P, so have to 'make do' with what I can get and 'work the system' as much as possible. Indeed I am trying to 'store' 10 point captains and have got most of the ones from ops (nothing french yet, but I'm not planning on starting that nation yet anyway) and things like the recent azur lane 'admiral hipper' mission chain. I can't do justice in a reply, but I will be considering all of that!

In short: Thank you good sir :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,420 posts
14,936 battles
1 minute ago, Rusty_9 said:

Thanks for the well structured reply!

My pleasure!

There are some advantages to being f2p, in terms of decision-making, in that you are largely forced to keep the silver ship collection at least vaguely minimalist i.e. there is less temptation to have a silly collection of lower tier ships with 'good enough' captains, that are a drain on your elite xp.

I have a distressing tendency to (objectively) try and have 'good enough' captains on too many things; this has been a major drain on my elite/free xp - I should really have more 19 pointers by now, and I don't as a direct result!

• Funny 1

[AAO]
Clan Test Coordinator
1,597 posts
21,395 battles
4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

There are some advantages to being f2p, in terms of decision-making, in that you are largely forced to keep the silver ship collection at least vaguely minimalist i.e. there is less temptation to have a silly collection of lower tier ships with 'good enough' captains, that are a drain on your elite xp. 

I have a distressing tendency to (objectively) try and have 'good enough' captains on too many things; this has been a major drain on my elite/free xp - I should really have more 19 pointers by now, and I don't as a direct result! 

Being afflicted by the same kind of madness let me assure you you'll get there as a f2p as well.

Just takes a bit. ^^

:cap_old:

But as the others said, it's usually best to keep a "good enough" captain around for ships you enjoy and you're sure you'll play plenty in the future.

• Cool 2

Players
2,855 posts
21,868 battles

I find the important thing is to max out those commanders first that you can get the most bang for your buck out of, meaning to say the ones you can use on as many different ships as possible, as well as those ships that are likely generating the most elite commander XP.

Looking at your premiums, from a purely economical point of view, you should work on maxing out a Russian destroyer guy (preferably Russian Ovechkin), a Japanese BB guy and a British BB guy, preferably one of the Dunkirk brothers. All of these should be specialized on the respective top silver tech tree ship of the same line that you are currently grinding. That way, you can ensure that the least amount of XP derived from special signals and power camos gets frozen uselessly on Premium ships and Elite silver ships and the most of it goes into Elite Commander XP and ship grinds. Just with these three maxed out captains, if you have enough special signals and camos, you can then easily generate six figure amounts of elite commander XP in one day just by playing their three silver ships and the three respective premiums to the first daily win.

Up to now, your US captains don't really come into it at all since your only US premium, the Charleston, is too low tier to generate a lot of XP in the first place. The good thing is that you can keep focusing on enjoyment with that ship, which so far hasn't entered the equation...

What you actually want though, is maxed-out captains on ships you can use for Operation Dynamo, which is now a part of the regular Op-of-the-Week rotation. Provided WG doesn't increase its difficulty next time around. Because currently, that OP is way too easy, making it an absolutely surefire XP generator extraordinaire. You can hardly lose even with several very bad players on your team, unlike almost every other operation in their current state. I was in a random group that five-starred it without any American DDs and their defensive fire consumables and long duration maxi smokes - just with British(!) ships and one Minsk, which has surprisingly good AA. In fact it's even better if there are a few bad players because that way, you get to splatter more of those little torpedo boat XP pinatas. Getting 40,000 to 60,000 Commander XP out of a single run is basically the norm with a high powered camo and lots of signals, which you can of course also exploit any time if you manage to get a division together specifically for that purpose. Doesn't even have to be a full strength division. Also I found that Monaghan's defensive AA is almost as good as Sims in that OP, which made the Santa loot boxes an even better investment because that DD basically gets dropped immediately if you get any ship drop at all.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,682 posts
45,110 battles
On 1/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, Rusty_9 said:

@Verblonde Thanks for the well structured reply! There is a lot there to digest, but it all seems to make sense.

I am (as you have probably figured) F2P, so have to 'make do' with what I can get and 'work the system' as much as possible. Indeed I am trying to 'store' 10 point captains and have got most of the ones from ops (nothing french yet, but I'm not planning on starting that nation yet anyway) and things like the recent azur lane 'admiral hipper' mission chain. I can't do justice in a reply, but I will be considering all of that!

In short: Thank you good sir :Smile_honoring:

Well @Rusty_9 you have got almost all already. Allow me to add a few comments. Storing 10 pointers is a great idea. As other have said the key is to get the first 19 pointer but nevertheless numbers is also important, a 19 p costs around 1,700,000 Elite XP and 10 p 180 000 roughly. As a new player key is to play higher tiers from say 7-8 with at least 10 p, but it is a diminishing return for further points. 

It is so expensive to get the first 19 p and rather boring to push same ship(s) in game after game. The usage of first win bonus is also important = playing variety of ships. The cost of moving gets also even if you have eliteXP up a lot, so a captain that moves too frequently takes a lot of XP each transfer. Personally I prefer to store at 10-12 and not further up than 14. It might be better to endure a 10-12 pointer on a ship and use the elite XP when the transfer has been made.

I think it is also good to have several captains on same line especially when you have premiums that might differ a little in requirements and also if you are a player like me.

My captain tacticts have not been optimal and I would have transfered a lot more if I would have started all over, I started a 3 p on every ship in the befginning and sold nothing, but the game were less mature then and the relative number of low end captains were probably less earlier, the flags etc were only Zulu hotel so it was more timeconsuming to grind captains, not to mention that elite XP did not exist and a different skill tree in 5 levels.

But after say 1 year or so especially when elite XP was introduced and I began more seriously following forums and advice, I started to have some goals that I have made harder as times goes on.

First I as a collector needs captains on all ships but my number reasoning is still valid somewhat.

10 p captain is the goal in random battles at least on t7-8 and up, if not a captain is available I grind in coop and/or play elite captains until I get one, only when I grind a new line in low tiers I may step away.

Ships that need (not benefit but really need) IFHE = 14 p so I get both CE and IFHE. I have now nearly all premiums so I hve vast possibilities to train captains.

I also try to  find low tier silver/premium ships that are OP/good with low end captains to train new 10 p if needed for that country, try to follow /plan next tech trees you will grind. 

I have soon 8 10 pointers for Italy and 7 10-12 p for RU BBs 5 for French DDs as I expect those to be useful in the future. GC is useful for traing new captains a premium ship that is playable with low end captains. Likewise French D-T french T4 cruiser I find is useful in randoms with low end, combine that w De grasse and it gets fairly OK.

The problem is that it will take a while befopre your fleet has been balanced for captain production but time will come.    

• Cool 2