Egoleter

Changes to the forums / adding third party domains for functionality

3 comments in this topic

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,035 posts

@Sehales @MrConway

Would it be to much to ask to be informed about changes to the website and forums if they need for us to allow previously unecessary third party domains to use their functionality?

We suddenly need to allow scripts from the domain gcore.lu for proper forum functionality. Until late last night that wasn't the case. Yes I know that it is used as a content delivery network. To be informed about such a change would still help a lot. I thought the forums are borked as nothing worked properly anymore. From adding likes, minimizing the mod-forum in the forum overview, to creating reports, or even new posts like this one. Some of those didn't work at all, others only very limited. It is really frustrating to not know why that is suddenly the case.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,430 posts
1,674 battles
12 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

@Sehales @MrConway

Would it be to much to ask to be informed about changes to the website and forums if they need for us to allow previously unecessary third party domains to use their functionality?

We suddenly need to allow scripts from the domain gcore.lu for proper forum functionality. Until late last night that wasn't the case. Yes I know that it is used as a content delivery network. To be informed about such a change would still help a lot. I thought the forums are borked as nothing worked properly anymore. From adding likes, minimizing the mod-forum in the forum overview, to creating reports, or even new posts like this one. Some of those didn't work at all, others only very limited. It is really frustrating to not know why that is suddenly the case.

We always used gcore as CDN provider and indeed moved to a new storage of theirs last night.

Honestly, I highly doubt more than a handfull of forum users are going as far as using explicit domain whitelisting like you do and if you do so, you should be able to easily see what is happening. (At least with the tools I am using, it shows me a clear list of what is being blocked).

I am sorry that this caused issues for you. We don't have any more changes planned though and there shouldn't be any fruther impact on your end for the foreseeable future.

Out of curiosity: Isn't that a general issue you are encountering with most websites? The need to figure out which domains to whitelist in order to make it work?

• Cool 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,035 posts
8 minutes ago, Sehales said:

Honestly, I highly doubt more than a handfull of forum users are going as far as using explicit domain whitelisting like you do and if you do so, you should be able to easily see what is happening. (At least with the tools I am using, it shows me a clear list of what is being blocked).

True enough for both statements.

I do regularly advice "advanced users" to protect themself in such a way though. Many internet annoyances and dangers can be avoided if you simply prevent the scripts that cause them from running. It needs some figuring out what to allow and what to block for a while until all favorite sites are back to working conditions but I'd say that the gained security is worth it.

6 minutes ago, Sehales said:

Out of curiosity: Isn't that a general issue you are encountering with most websites? The need to figure out which domains to whitelist in order to make it work?

Yes, it is. But usually those sites don't suddenly change something. It is always annoying when that happens.

I did stop using some websites in the past when they suddenly added scripts to their own domain to unblock formerly blocked content. While I can figure out which specific scripts to block too, it is usually not worth the effort and I simply look for a less annoying alternative.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this