Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Why can't I decline or block division invitations?

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

I just received a very kind invitation from another player, to join a division. For reasons totally unconnected with that player, I could not accept the invitation - but nor could I decline it. There was just the one button for "Accept", but no button for "Decline".

I found this disturbing. When I receive an offer, of any kind, I expect to have a choice whether to accept it or not. Getting offers that you can't decline, is a bit too much Godfather-style for my taste. Also, when I feel that I must decline an invitation, I very much want to do this in a polite manner. The "division" interface in World of Warships doesn't seem to give me that option, however - or if it does, I haven't found it. I could click away the invitation by clicking on the little x-box in the top right hand corner, of course, but that's a bit akin to throwing an invitation in the waste basket without bothering to answer - decidedly rude, in my book. And when I nevertheless finally did this - clicked away the invitation, that is - it just reappeared. In the end, the inviter wrote a chat message to me, and that one I could answer, but having to go about it this way seems a bit overcomplicated.

What I would like to see is not only a button for accepting an invitation to join a division, but also a button for politely declining to do so. These buttons should be side by side, separated and clearly visible.

I would also like to have an easily accessible filter that allows you to

a) allow all invitations through, or

b) block all invitations except those from clan members or otherwise designated players, or

c) block all invitations.

Suggesting such a filter might seem odd in view of me just having lauded the virtues of polite communication. Given the special conditions of a large online community such as that of WoWs, however, I do not feel that there is any call for interpreting such a block, even when in effect, as a discourtesy to other players. There may be a lot of reasons why a certain player finds himself unable to accept invitations to division, and a well-applied filter can save a lot of time for all involved. Apart from this, a filter might come in handy to avoid cases of invitation-spamming, if that ever becomes an issue.

I write these suggestions with the full knowledge that these functions may very well already be implemented in some way or another. My computer-fu is, as has previously been stated, not strong. In any case, I hope that this thread will give at least some food for thought and debate.

I shall conclude this post by sending out the @MrConway signal. It has brought good tidings before!

• Cool 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

So you did not see the small X there? That is on you.

You can avoid invites during match, but not sure about port...

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
14 minutes ago, Juanx said:

So you did not see the small X there? That is on you.

I did see the small x, as I wrote in my post, but I was unsure as to whether that would be communicated as a "Decline" to the inviter. And I would guess not, since the invitation reappeared almost immediately after I had clicked on the x.

18 minutes ago, Juanx said:

You can avoid invites during match, but not sure about port...

Yes, I recall having seen some kind of button to that effect on the loading screen before a battle. It's curious that this function wouldn't exist in port.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I did see the small x, as I wrote in my post, but I was unsure as to whether that would be communicated as a "Decline" to the inviter. And I would guess not, since the invitation reappeared almost immediately after I had clicked on the x.

Yes, I recall having seen some kind of button to that effect on the loading screen before a battle. It's curious that this function wouldn't exist in port.

Curious? You mean par for the course being WG and port UI?:Smile_trollface:

[COMFY]
Players
601 posts
1,518 battles
17 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

it does decline, I have been platting up with my brother and he sometimes troll me by pressing x, and as far as im concerened it does say: "xxx has declined the invitation"

Players
13 posts
4,561 battles

The option is already there on the team line up screen,before you click start battle.Just untick the "accept division invite" box and you cant be sent invites for that game or any future games unless you tick the box .

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
2 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

it does decline, I have been platting up with my brother and he sometimes troll me by pressing x, and as far as im concerened it does say: "xxx has declined the invitation"

Thanks, that's good to know! :cap_like:

36 minutes ago, Spliffy76 said:

The option is already there on the team line up screen,before you click start battle.Just untick the "accept division invite" box and you cant be sent invites for that game or any future games unless you tick the box .

Yes, but the thing is that I do occasionally play in division with my clan mates. It would be awkward if they suddenly couldn't send me invitations. Hence my call for a selective filter. 

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
49 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

If you are worried about the sender thinking you declined, just let the invite time out.

I don't mind if I happen to miss the time limit on an occasional invitation, but if I get an invitation that I don't want to accept, I believe that a swift "Thanks but no thanks!" is the best way to go about it.

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
2 hours ago, Juanx said:

Curious? You mean par for the course being WG and port UI?:Smile_trollface:

You don't like our splendid ports? :Smile_Default:

I'm sure there's room for improvements, but I really only miss one thing, namely the ability to zoom around in free camera view. I would so love to be able to study not only our ships in better detail, but also to go sightseeing around the various ports, townscapes and landscapes that adorn our various anchorages.

• Cool 1

Players
203 posts
3,270 battles

count me in. As a casual player I cannot afford to play in Clans simply because I cannot commit to any of the obligations and I dont like being bound to Clans or even Divisions. An Option where you could just "Opt-Out" would be a nice comfort option and I dont think it would hurt anybody.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,803 posts
2,828 battles
23 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I just received a very kind invitation from another player, to join a division. For reasons totally unconnected with that player, I could not accept the invitation - but nor could I decline it. There was just the one button for "Accept", but no button for "Decline".

I found this disturbing. When I receive an offer, of any kind, I expect to have a choice whether to accept it or not. Getting offers that you can't decline, is a bit too much Godfather-style for my taste. Also, when I feel that I must decline an invitation, I very much want to do this in a polite manner. The "division" interface in World of Warships doesn't seem to give me that option, however - or if it does, I haven't found it. I could click away the invitation by clicking on the little x-box in the top right hand corner, of course, but that's a bit akin to throwing an invitation in the waste basket without bothering to answer - decidedly rude, in my book. And when I nevertheless finally did this - clicked away the invitation, that is - it just reappeared. In the end, the inviter wrote a chat message to me, and that one I could answer, but having to go about it this way seems a bit overcomplicated.

What I would like to see is not only a button for accepting an invitation to join a division, but also a button for politely declining to do so. These buttons should be side by side, separated and clearly visible.

I would also like to have an easily accessible filter that allows you to

a) allow all invitations through, or

b) block all invitations except those from clan members or otherwise designated players, or

c) block all invitations.

Suggesting such a filter might seem odd in view of me just having lauded the virtues of polite communication. Given the special conditions of a large online community such as that of WoWs, however, I do not feel that there is any call for interpreting such a block, even when in effect, as a discourtesy to other players. There may be a lot of reasons why a certain player finds himself unable to accept invitations to division, and a well-applied filter can save a lot of time for all involved. Apart from this, a filter might come in handy to avoid cases of invitation-spamming, if that ever becomes an issue.

I write these suggestions with the full knowledge that these functions may very well already be implemented in some way or another. My computer-fu is, as has previously been stated, not strong. In any case, I hope that this thread will give at least some food for thought and debate.

I shall conclude this post by sending out the @MrConway signal. It has brought good tidings before!

I am very sorry to say that I think we have more important UI issues to deal with at the moment ;)

In those rare occurences just drop the player a message to let him know you don't want to/can't division.

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

I am very sorry to say that I think we have more important UI issues to deal with at the moment ;)

In those rare occurences just drop the player a message to let him know you don't want to/can't division.

Fair enough; thanks for letting me know! :Smile_Default:

Sign in to follow this