You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Stimpeltje

namecalling

76 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
7 posts
938 battles

I recently started playing WoWs again, after long time doing other stuff.

Played a few coops to get the feeling again, then started with randoms just this morning.

Im in a Benson, tier VIII DD.

Battle is only 10 seconds old and already people start calling me names for not attempting to cap a point.

Apparently Im going the wrong way ....

So silly me turns around to do as asked (or rather demanded).

Silly me turns around away from the enemy. For that they called me camper.

While Im capping C, as requested (or rather demanded) they are still calling me names and they as they ask rest of the team to report me.

I succesfully cap C.

Some time later our other DD gets killed. He doesnt get called names .... Instead he starts calling names towards the people who called me names.

Apparently they were camping behing island, doing nothing.

Battle goes on, I keep doing my best while the namecallers keep camping.

Battle ends, in a loss. I get 2 kills from 5 enemys kiiled. I end top 2 in XP. All campers end way at the bottom.

I guess they were to busy calling people names, instead of playing the game.

Is it always like this?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[-RDE-]
Players
276 posts
23,352 battles

not always but it does seem to be happening more lately, especially at weekends :) everythings the dds fault-bbs fault etc etc... and tbh it's normally the moaners fault for not backing up, spotting and lets not forget the one radar ship we have on the team that decides to be 15-20km away from caps etc :)

etc etc.. cutting a long story short, it's every1s fault apart from their own. :) i hope it gets better for you :) good luck and happy sailing :)

• Cool 1

Players
3,078 posts
13,774 battles

Frankly as we haven't seen the game it would be pointless to give an opinion on what went on in the game. Overall? Nowhere near as bad as Tanks was/is. 

• Cool 1

[BOBS2]
Beta Tester
231 posts
3,205 battles

Last night the keyboard hard men were out in force. I got grief off one DD player for apparently being a ‘BB spawn coward’, the idiot hadn’t noticed that I was actually nowhere near our spawn, was under focus fire from 3 enemy BB’s and a Zao, and the only team member supporting him, but that didn’t stop him venting. He was still abusing me as I took out the 3 BB’s long after he had died, and not contributed at all to the battle.

Sometimes you’ve just got to ignore the idiots and play your own game.

*edit- oh, and he asl did that ‘everyone report the *#%*!’ 😆

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Since I started playing DDs I see it allot. Camping BBabies want personal spotters so they can sit back and snipe while the enemy cap and herd them.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,778 posts
10,706 battles
12 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Frankly as we haven't seen the game it would be pointless to give an opinion on what went on in the game. Overall? Nowhere near as bad as Tanks was/is. 

I agree - all we have is what the OP stated.   Who know what really happened in the battle as we all miss things in-game.

I regularly see players accuse others of camping etc but if they had watched the whole game (probably because they don't keep an eye on the mini-map) they would have seen the player  in the middle of the action for most of the battle and may be forced to relocate due to the positioning of the enemy team.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,778 posts
10,706 battles
1 minute ago, fallenkezef said:

Since I started playing DDs I see it allot. Camping BBabies want personal spotters so they can sit back and snipe while the enemy cap and herd them.

I've had battles like that in my DD.   A top tier BB was hiding behind an island and was only able to fire across the map to the other flak and were unable to support me and what I was spotting on that flank.

I asked for support several times even clicking on the map yet nothing happened.   I told them if they were not willing to support me I was going to relocate and did so .   They were still sitting behind the same island when they were flanked by a DD and two cruisers.    Needless to say they did not survive.

Beta Tester
7 posts
938 battles
7 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

I agree - all we have is what the OP stated.   Who know what really happened in the battle as we all miss things in-game.

I regularly see players accuse others of camping etc but if they had watched the whole game (probably because they don't keep an eye on the mini-map) they would have seen the player  in the middle of the action for most of the battle and may be forced to relocate due to the positioning of the enemy team.

What happend in battle ..... People started calling me names after 10 seconds because I went the wrong way, and they kept calling me names when I turned around.

Up to those 10 seconds, I didnt miss anything.

They could just as well asked me nicely to go there

[-TPF-]
Players
3,511 posts
14,549 battles

They want you to spot for them. Bear in mind, though, that they don't want to support you: BB players just get anxious if they don't know where the enemy DDs are.

• Cool 1

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Yes it happens more. But not that much I must add. Usually it's from people who don't have any clue, watched 1 or 2 Flamu movies and think they know it all. Indeed demanding to throw your match for some idiotic cap obsession, wanting you to be their meatshield or mistaking a good firing position with camping. Heck I got reported for BB island camping one day because I happened to pass one on my way to my position. Most maps are riddled with islands so it's inevitable to pass islands when being on my way. Also a punk from a "top clan" asked my to commit suicide IRL because me and my div mate managed to get a red DD in the wrench with 2 DD's. We made the mistake completely overlooking the worCHESter who annihilated us. Anyways: those armchair admirals usually make me ROFL.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,464 battles
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, Stimpeltje said:

What happend in battle ..... People started calling me names after 10 seconds because I went the wrong way, and they kept calling me names when I turned around.

Up to those 10 seconds, I didnt miss anything.

They could just as well asked me nicely to go there

There is absolutely no justification for name-calling in this game, irrespective of circumstances. Nor is there any sort of player hierarchy that allows for the giving of orders to anyone else, although certain self-proclaimed armchair admirals seem to see it differently. The most one can do, as you yourself say, is to make a suggestion or ask politely - but even then, there is no obligation to accede to such a request. Everyone is free to play the game and try to win the battle in whatever way he or she deems best.

The only times I react in the chat, is when I see cases of intentional misbehaviour or abuse. And I do not then go on with name-calling, since that would obviously make me the hypocrite - rather, I try to reason, or I might send a report.

Overall, however, I find the World of Warships community to be a nice and polite one. Cases such as that which you have described are thankfully rare. I would advice you to leave the incident behind and play another game, Captain Stimpeltje - don't let it get you down! 

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles

DD's - cap, spot and scout.

Depending on the game mode, the capping element varies in importance, but the latter 2 are a 'must'. Apologies, I checked up on your stats (not so many battles):- You're a new player, with most of your battles in DD's, already up to T8 in them. DD's become much more difficult at that level with the prevalence of radar in every battle and also MM up to tier 10. There is no need to 'rush' up to the top tier and actually, unless you are one of those extremely rare 'naturals' at the game, is ill advised as are not likely to understand roles or mechanics that well.

My advice would be to stick around T6/7 for a while, settle into the game, gridn  a few lines to that level, not just in DD's, then once you feel ready continue to T10.

Overall, not a bad start to the game for you, enjoy and progress :)

• Cool 1

Players
303 posts
16,801 battles

Just play your own game and ignore it. I'm guilty of having a go at campers and suiciders but just venting. If you can't ignore the idiots in chat, either disable chat or give up playing.

On a side note, I always report someone on my team who demands we report X or Y player. It's like demanding the ref shows a yellow card, just poor sportsmanship.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

It's not usually that bad, honestly. And for an online PvP game, it surprisingly friendly and non-toxic. Sure, there's some of it, but most isn't. What's there is easily ignorable. Which is the best way of dealing with it: Interact with the people who seem reasonable, and ignore the raging idiots. Unless you want to troll them. That's sometimes fun.

[BBMM]
Players
5,507 posts
6,636 battles
1 hour ago, Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt said:

On a side note, I always report someone on my team who demands we report X or Y player.

I like that idea, it's my kind of 'salty'. I'll start doing that too. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[ANV]
Players
504 posts
4,432 battles

Obviously I've not played that many games but I find the player base, generally, well behaved 

Players
1,895 posts
2 hours ago, fallenkezef said:

Been like that for years. Just tell them to pop their spotterplane and Fu** off :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[LEEUW]
Players
1,944 posts
9,834 battles

Of all the games I've played this has to be the least toxic game so too bad it happened but it is not that frequent.

If it is frequent then maybe you are doing something to trigger it since it doesnt happen to me.

And if it does its most of the time someone who is absolutely garbage at the game so I just laught about it.

• Cool 1

Players
680 posts
5,098 battles

I saw more chat rage yesterday - saturday then the entire year 2018 can be coincedence or it really gets more toxic hard to say yet.  

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Reads like you came across a division of armchair admirals.

Can't do right by them no matter what you do. Even if you drag their afts kicking and screaming to victory they'll still insult people and I've had cases getting flak for stealing all the glamour. Just yesterday @Reaper_JackGBR and myself had a lovely 48% armchair admiral deadset of calling us baddies the entire game long after he died (naturally) despite the fact that the two of us killed half the enemy team by our twosome and did everything possible to keep a chance at winning when most others apparently just threw away their ships for free.

Gems included calling me an idiot for not capturing B ... whilst there where currently two enemy BBs right in there, or berating me for having my AA on in a DD and getting spotted that way, ignoring the fact that the enemy CV was parking is aircraft literally over my head and thus having my AA on wasn't making any difference at all. But apparently you're supposed to never have your AA on in a DD, no matter the circumstances.

So yeah, self-important people like that exist, they do everywhere, but at least in WoWs I can say they are much less frequent than in other multiplayer games I've played. This community is positively tame in that regard :Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 1

[0031]
Beta Tester
346 posts
4 hours ago, Stimpeltje said:

I recently started playing WoWs again, after long time doing other stuff.

Played a few coops to get the feeling again, then started with randoms just this morning.

Im in a Benson, tier VIII DD.

Battle is only 10 seconds old and already people start calling me names for not attempting to cap a point.

Apparently Im going the wrong way ....

So silly me turns around to do as asked (or rather demanded).

Silly me turns around away from the enemy. For that they called me camper.

While Im capping C, as requested (or rather demanded) they are still calling me names and they as they ask rest of the team to report me.

I succesfully cap C.

Some time later our other DD gets killed. He doesnt get called names .... Instead he starts calling names towards the people who called me names.

Apparently they were camping behing island, doing nothing.

Battle goes on, I keep doing my best while the namecallers keep camping.

Battle ends, in a loss. I get 2 kills from 5 enemys kiiled. I end top 2 in XP. All campers end way at the bottom.

I guess they were to busy calling people names, instead of playing the game.

Is it always like this?

Idiots are idiots everywhere. Sadly so, also in WoWs and these name calling idiots can take the pleasure away when they get under your skin. Too bad you can't turn chat of all together to block out these mofo name callers. They should die a horrible stinking death, all of them :-) The bastards.

Players
793 posts
9,604 battles

I like to sail around the edge of a cap. This particularly annoys them and lets you spot the real screechers so you can mute them.

My other favourite thing is to ignore demands for smoke when I know they are too close to the enemy not to be visible from their gun bloom. 

As a DD it is most important to look toward your own survival more than the screeching BBs, you will never make them happy so just mute them and carry on capping in your own time and watching out for other DDs - and ocasionbally cruisers or BBs - that are in a position to do some good who are worth assisting.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,464 battles
28 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

I like to sail around the edge of a cap. This particularly annoys them and lets you spot the real screechers so you can mute them.

Even if that means you are giving up on time that could be spent towards securing the cap?

29 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

My other favourite thing is to ignore demands for smoke when I know they are too close to the enemy not to be visible from their gun bloom. 

Okay, but what if said team mate just needs some cover while effecting repairs and getting out of the line of fire? Of course, making sure if that is the case would take an unusually high level of inter-ally communication, so I can see why it might not happen.

31 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

As a DD it is most important to look toward your own survival more than the screeching BBs, you will never make them happy so just mute them and carry on capping in your own time and watching out for other DDs - and ocasionbally cruisers or BBs - that are in a position to do some good who are worth assisting.

It is true that the best advice I ever heard in this game was the very simple, "don't die". It is an especially valid tactic for destroyers in the early game, when there is typically a high risk of being taken out in a duel for possession of a capture point. In some cases it is the late bird that catches the worm! :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
1,094 posts
11,099 battles
35 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

So basically, you are saying that you actively and willingly  play the game in a way that actually makes your team more likely do loose?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,321 battles
Alle 13/1/2019 alle 14:36, MortenTardo ha scritto:

Been like that for years. Just tell them to   pop their spotterplane  *edited*

FIFY. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1