You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Kilinowski

Ships that are better skipped using FXP

105 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
1,027 posts
14,294 battles

Some ships are a joy to play, other ships are mediocre and again some ships will try your patience.

And then there are the absolutely awful ships, that you would like to skip with FXP. Some of them you will actually have skipped completely or at least partially, when you could no longer bear playing them. Other ships you would have loved to skip, but you didn't "because reasons".

Share your ideas on ships you hated and why you skipped them or would recommend to do so or still played them for whatever reasons.

As the OP I will make the start:

1. I hated and to this day hate the Buffalo. I did not have the FXP to skip it, but at some point I put on lots of XP flags and camos to get it done already. In my experience it is a damage pinata that is to sluggish to dodge or accelerate away from danger. Opponents priorize it for its radar. The trajecories are to low to shoot over most islands, while island hugging allows to only shoot front or rear turrets.

2. The Seattle doesn't do it for me. It just seems like a cliffhanger between Cleveland and Worcester. It is too squishy, must be played at even greater distacne than the Cleveland while having the same air dragged shells. I sill think about skipping it.

3. My grind through the Colorado is quite painful. It is not a bad performing ship. It is just boring and slow in a tier, where you get a lot of fast BBs with interesting play styles.

[HALON]
Players
629 posts
10,025 battles

Izumo, Frederick der Grosse, z46 sometimes come to visit in my nightmares.

• Funny 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,012 posts
7,981 battles
12 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

2. The Seattle doesn't do it for me. It just seems like a cliffhanger between Cleveland and Worcester. It is too squishy, must be played at even greater distacne than the Cleveland while having the same air dragged shells. I sill think about skipping it.

3. My grind through the Colorado is quite painful. It is not a bad performing ship. It is just boring and slow in a tier, where you get a lot of fast BBs with interesting play styles.

Seattle is not brilliant but not because of squishyness. It is her awkward gun arcs that get her into trouble, working around the arcs will net you a really potent damage dealer.

Colorado is as you say not bad. Aim for enemy BB noses and rack up large amounts of damage. Having guns that overmatch everything puts the Colorado above most tier 7 BB's.

12 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

z46 

5 km hydro, 10 km fast reloading torps, great AP damage and solid HP pool. Play it as a torp boat first and cap contestor second  and you will have a solid cap molestor/torp boat.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,226 posts
18,952 battles

- Izumo (Even after the buff she felt awful to play)

- Seattle (I'd rather take a Cleve into a T10 match)

- Colorado (Still have nightmares from 2x pre-buff grind)

- Monarch (Completely useless ship especially when compared to contemporaries)

- Neptune (Got hit by the smoke nerf too hard imo. If you have an abundance of free exp I recommend skipping)

- Podvoisky (Dunno if it's just me or the ship, but I had an awful time with her)

- Ranger (Currently completely outclassed by her contemporaries, subject to change with the rework)

- all T4/5 CVs (T6 is where real CV play begins if you want to bother learning RTS CVs when it's gonna be gone in ~2 weeks)

• Cool 7

Players
3,086 posts
13,789 battles
3 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

Izumo, Frederick der Grosse, z46 sometimes come to visit in my nightmares.

I loved both Z-46 and FDG. Great and very underestimated making them more dangerous. Izumo I did however skip...

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
5,545 posts
22,760 battles

I usually skip t9s, long grind and you are still at least 30% weaker then the t10 equivalent whitch you will face in pretty much every game, just cant be bothered

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

t3-5 RN CLs. Getting HE-citted through the deck by almost everything isn't fun. Dive Bombers are actually a lethal threat. To be fair though, Emerald is very stealthy now and you rarely encounter any radar.

Omaha: One of the squishiest ships around, without the benefit of Emerald's stealth or smoke. Huge bow with 10mm gets penned by everything except DD AP.

Kirov: Another super-squishy t5, this time without even Omaha's turning ability.

Jianwei - just sucks all around. Unacceptable 8s reload on 120mm guns, inability to stealth torp unlike any other ship in the line. Overdue for a buff.

Mahan - I advise getting through it using Dynamo but it just doesn't work in pvp - even with the recent concealment buff it's one of the least stealthy in its tier spread, which is bad news for a slowish DD with a mediocre health pool that struggles to hit DDs beyond close combat. No gun improvement over the t6. The  torps are kind of nice but the lack of stealth ruins it when there are enemy DDs around.

[SHAD]
Players
2,186 posts
10,242 battles

Citadeling the Caledonian through the nose with Clemson HE. I skipped to Emerald which is ok but Leander is where the fun begins.

I also skipped Monarch FDG  and Mogami.

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,756 posts
11,054 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

I usually skip t9s, long grind and you are still at least 30% weaker then the t10 equivalent whitch you will face in pretty much every game, just cant be bothered

I grinded the Yueyang with full xp camos/flag but switched them off on purpose at the Chung Mu. I just love the Fletcher class, didnt want to rake 10-20k xps per match to last longer :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,294 posts
7,161 battles

Monarch, Richelieu and Izumo... for now.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,540 posts
17,332 battles

Most of the ships usually labeled as "the worst ship in the game" are not that bad. Most of the time it's player's lack of skill and/or patience.

I skipped only one ship through freeXP after a number of games that convinced me to do it, and that was Emerald.

Izumo is universally considered as a bad ship, and at T9 the way to Yamato becomes really long, so maybe someday this will be my second ship skipped with freeXP (if they ever remove carriers, that is).

• Cool 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,791 posts
10,706 battles

So far - the Colorado.

Way too slow and if you spawn on the wrong flank in a higher tier game you may as well rage quit (not that I've ever done that).

I'd unlocked all the modules and managed to get around 40K XP on her and yesterday I free XPd to the North Carolina.

• Angry 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,000 posts
9,629 battles

Buffalo is a high tier Furutaka. I love it. FdG wasn't that bad. I mean it is not good but it wasn't that bad.

Izumo is a pile of ...

Monarch same.

Seattle feels... nothing. Anytime I feel like finally understood the ship it stops working again...

I hated the Richelieu. Skipped it.

Aand naturally Ibuki.

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,312 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- all T4/5 CVs

What? My favorite is the tier 5 Bogue! Can concentrate on strategy instead of micromanaging manual drops. And that's the closest to how real carriers were commanded. The captain said fly there and attack that ship. The captain didn't remote-control the planes, they didn't even have the technology for it.

• Cool 4

[VS-UK]
Players
47 posts
4,842 battles

Someone asked about Vanguard. I found its AP a little bit ropey and its turret angles mean you have to expose a little too much side to fire a paltry 8 guns. Furthermore you face tier 9 and 10 most of the time and you are shockingly outclassed by them, it's too easy for them to punish you. Top tier it's really rather fun, but that is true of many ships.

I found Danae and Emerald to be difficult to enjoy, but fortunately I got Leander from a Christmas event and never looked back!

[NKK]
Beta Tester
870 posts
9,340 battles

I wouldn't skip any ship for Freexp. I have only done that to take some advantage (like recently, we had that 50% discount in permacamos and 60% in modules, so I rushed some T8 ships, but not 100%). I still have 1.7 million in FreeXP, and I don't use it to skip ships. For me, the best use is to get the Hull or Hulls, which are usually very, very important, and some other upgrades if needed, depending on the ship. That way you get a good ship from the beginning and not a stock one that is quite worse.

Take into account you get 20 times more regular XP than FreeXP. Even with Papa Papa, you get 5 times more regular XP, so, unless you really, really hate the ship, just play it.

• Cool 2

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

While listing these ships, one should also add was it old or new version, because some ships have changed dramatically after buffs.

I did not like the following ones:

- Old New Orleans with broken armor

- Z-46

- Monarch

- FdG was really really painful to grind, but now after recent secondary buff it's one of my favorite BB's.

- Ibuki I did not like at all.

- Old Podvoisky was totally useless ship without any gunpower or torpedopower.

- Old Ognevoi in T6 was really painful before they fixed the turrets.

• Cool 1

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

I only skipped Izumo. Reason was I wanted Yamato that bad. Mainly BB fan Yama is one of my 3 "must haves." (Arizona and Bismarck). Otherwise grinded them all out. That is: if you don't count taking some Fxp when I was like 1 or 2000 short.

Seattle: try double rudder instead of concealment. Keep moving and dodging instead of WOT island hugging. You might be amazed.

[L4GG]
Players
2,716 posts
9,940 battles
7 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

You know what?

Everyone is piling free xp or already piled for kronstandt and Mushashi and whatnot but I think i'll go the other direction.

´Since, most probably I'm not going to get Stalingrad, and since I don't care about steel

I free xp my Hosho and Langley

i'll go and free xp the leander and Fiji. (the only CL line that I don't have)

Maybe a French squid like BB.

And if I have enough, maybe a decent British BB (after all, my Jack Dunkerque is still doing desk job, I have to find a boat for him)

Players
2,544 posts
12,556 battles
2 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:

FdG wasn't that bad. I mean it is not good but it wasn't that bad.

Izumo is a pile of ...

I feel the same. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Freddy, but I had fun in her, sometimes. Izumo though, what a piece of useless hot garbage.

Another vote of mine would go to Ibuki as well. Takes citadels from any angle, and it is just soooo boring to play.

5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- Podvoisky (Dunno if it's just me or the ship, but I had an awful time with her) 

I found podvoisky to be ok. Thing is, it's tier 5, so you'll be past her quite fast. Also, you need to do like 20k or so to get superunicum stats in her :Smile_glasses:

I'd agree with your other picks, if you have freeXP to spare.

9 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

z46 sometimes come to visit in my nightmares.

1 hour ago, Kenliero said:

- Z-46

What's with the hate vs Z46? Don't remember it that well, but I remember it as quite decent, no?