You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sukasaa

Benson Upgrades. C:

25 comments in this topic

[COMFY]
Players
125 posts
7,215 battles

I recently unlocked Benson I'm confused on which Upgrades to pick for her. ^_^

47395440_2912761602083493_862137018778386432_n.jpg

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,498 battles

And you are so confused you  have no questions...interesting...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,079 posts
19,896 battles

Most people keep the B hull..

The difference between B and C is one less main gun turret but more and better close range AA and medium range AA in the form of 40mm Bofers.

So B hull 5x127mm guns and not very good AA

C hull 4x127 guns and better AA

HP on B and C hull is the same and you can mount the top Torpedoes on both hulls.

So iI think most DD players would agree on a gunboat DD that the Benson is B hull is by a long way the best hull to take

As most of the time on a Benson you want you AA disabled and unless you take defensive fire consumable. AA is not really worth it on a Benson.

As for Modules

slot 1 Magazine mod 1 (save detonation flags for Clan and Ranked)

Slot 2 maybe Engine mod

Slot 3 Aiming assist mod 1

Slot 4 Engine Mod

Slot 5 Stealth

• Cool 8

Players
504 posts
12,489 battles
57 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

The difference between B and C is one less main gun turret but more and better close range AA and medium range AA in the form of 40mm Bofers.

HP on B and C hull is the same and you can mount the top Torpedoes on both hulls.

So iI think most DD players would agree on a gunboat DD that the Benson is B hull is by a long way the best hull to take

As most of the time on a Benson you want you AA disabled and unless you take defensive fire consumable. AA is not really worth it on a Benson.

As for Modules

Slot 2 maybe Engine mod

Slot 4 Engine Mod

Slot 5 Stealth

Look everyone... a proper answer.  Yes, yes it can be done, it has been, really really well here.  That's what the OP wanted.  Thanks @T0byJug :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[COMFY]
Players
125 posts
7,215 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

As for Modules

Slot 2 maybe Engine mod

Slot 4 Engine Mod

Slot 5 Stealth

Thanks! ^-^

[THESO]
Players
4,074 posts

C hull with AA build could prove useful after the CV rework?

Why do I have sense that we ALL will have to go full AA :)

• Cool 2

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
602 posts
4,923 battles

C hull is needed to use Defensive Fire AA consumable.

So the only reason to ever use the C hull if for DFAA.

• Cool 1

Players
6,432 posts
10,728 battles
3 hours ago, T0byJug said:

As for Modules

Slot 2 maybe Engine mod

Slot 4 Engine Mod

Slot 5 Stealth

I agree about the Modules, I disagree about the hull.

@Sukasaa Im using C-hull always on Benson and I hardly play with a CV in Division. You still can see Carriers once in a while. Ive shut down an unicum Kaga once, simply by triggering him on his first wave in. But that is not even the most important thing. Spotting planes are. Even dead ships often leave their spotting planes around, near a cap, which can be problematic for your DD. Im using my Def AA quite often to get down spotting planes. It works perfect, if you put an island between you, youll shoot the spotter down without the enemy beeing able to do anything while you are spotted. Its really powerful actually. I dont mind the one missing gun, Benson is my favourite DD in this setup and it works really well for me

112593062_Screenshot_2019-01-09WoWSStatsNumbersEU-ForlornSailor-Spielerinformationenund-statistiken.thumb.png.21dd44331630940ee7d6d9cda56b99be.png

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles

Personally, I think I'm running the C hull on my Benson, the logic being that it makes it easier to knock down spotter planes etc. and I seem to do better when it's harder to see me, than when I have an extra barrel of dakka. A lot of very good players do favour the B hull though.

I would imagine there will be a much better case for the C hull in a couple of weeks' time (assuming AA actually works with the new CVs)...

Edit: depending on what happens with CVs, I might look to tweak my US DDs' upgrades to focus more on AA, although that would (obviously) depend entirely on whether AA is effective or not.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,079 posts
19,896 battles
48 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Personally, I think I'm running the C hull on my Benson, the logic being that it makes it easier to knock down spotter planes etc. and I seem to do better when it's harder to see me, than when I have an extra barrel of dakka. A lot of very good players do favour the B hull though.

I would imagine there will be a much better case for the C hull in a couple of weeks' time (assuming AA actually works with the new CVs)...

Edit: depending on what happens with CVs, I might look to tweak my US DDs' upgrades to focus more on AA, although that would (obviously) depend entirely on whether AA is effective or not.

Dont get you hopes up....

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,079 posts
19,896 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

I agree about the Modules, I disagree about the hull.

@Sukasaa Im using C-hull always on Benson and I hardly play with a CV in Division. You still can see Carriers once in a while. Ive shut down an unicum Kaga once, simply by triggering him on his first wave in. But that is not even the most important thing. Spotting planes are. Even dead ships often leave their spotting planes around, near a cap, which can be problematic for your DD. Im using my Def AA quite often to get down spotting planes. It works perfect, if you put an island between you, youll shoot the spotter down without the enemy beeing able to do anything while you are spotted. Its really powerful actually. I dont mind the one missing gun, Benson is my favourite DD in this setup and it works really well for me

112593062_Screenshot_2019-01-09WoWSStatsNumbersEU-ForlornSailor-Spielerinformationenund-statistiken.thumb.png.21dd44331630940ee7d6d9cda56b99be.png

As you say its all personal Preferences.. I don't normally take Def AA on mine i prefer Speed boost.

Beta Tester
1,489 posts
17,357 battles

Additionally you can also keep the stock gun fire control system if you like. Added range for your main guns means also added range on being spotted when firing. With the high shell arcs it is difficult to land good hits on maximum range.

This is not a must but an option.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles
38 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Dont get you hopes up....

Don't worry - not much chance of that. My personal bar for 'resounding success' would be for the game to not be utterly unplayable after two months or less; anything better than that will be a pleasant surprise...

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Isn't the B = guns / C = AA thing for US DDs starting at like tier 5? How can you get to tier 8 without ever noticing it?

[THESO]
Players
4,074 posts

A bit off topic, but still related to conversation. Has anyone tested full AA Kidd with the new CVs?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles
5 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

A bit off topic, but still related to conversation. Has anyone tested full AA Kidd with the new CVs?

I was wondering about this as well, along with one or two of the other 'obvious' AA DDs, or has the anaemic AA in the rework done for the lot of them?

Edit: the thought occurs that it's in WG's interests to not balls up the AA excessively, or they'll be looking at a lot of bad feeling/demands for refunds from premium purchasers (Kidd, and perhaps Sims too, off the top of my head)...

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles
16 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Dunno about Kidd but I can show you full AA Gearing.

Spoiler

0 planes lost. No worries tho. Full AA Worcester managed 1 plane shot down.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles
19 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Ouch!

Thanks for the video! Given what you know about the average player in the game, how similarly effective would you estimate they'll likely be?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Given what you know about the average player in the game, how similarly effective would you estimate they'll likely be?

I have once seen 2 CVs fail to kill a single low HP Zao that wasn't even maneuvering.

So yeah, they'll most likely fail even harder than they do with current CVs.

Skill gap is fixed comrade! Xaxaxaxaxa

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,074 posts
48 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Ive seen Notsers vid from the other perspective.

Hopefully this gets "fixed" before its going live.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Can't test premiums on PTS, can you?

Looking at Kidds numbers as they are now...

The 5km DP main battery guns will be flak = useless. But dps wise it makes up just 1/3 of it

The 40mm and 20mm guns should be the guaranteed DPS aura, so they should still work. Problem is, afaik DefAA now only affects the flak (more puffs) so your MGs wouldn't get boosted... And at t8 66 dps @ 3.5km (something like 4km after rework?) and 37 dps @ 2km (something like 2.3 after rework?) really looks like nothing.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
4,074 posts
7 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Can't test premiums on PTS, can you?

No I think you really can not, can you :) I guess testing premiums would effect the sales in negative way? :D

Would you believe me if I told you that I never ever was on PTS? I hardly find the time (and will)  to play live :)

Anyway ... If I try to get back to the original question -> OP.

My Benson was B hull / Torpedo build (for the Fletcher and now the cpt. is on Gearing).

I only grinded the Benson, because I hated her for the slow torpedoes speed. Unless you are in love with the ship for some reason, you will want to grind her as quickly as possible to get the Fletcher.

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles

I did the grind in the B Hull a few months back.

That said, there were very few carriers back then.

The fact is in the current meta, if a halfway decent CV player is going after you and you don't have defensive AA, you're dead. Seeing as there are currently a lot of carriers out there, C Hull is worth considering for the next two weeks.

Of course as soon as 0.8.0 comes out, all bets are off anyway. So maybe make sure you have the Fletcher by then and can do Ranked in that, where there will be no carriers.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,798 battles
8 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

The fact is in the current meta, if a halfway decent CV player is going after you

Tbf though, in the current meta those are only ~10-20% of the cv population (estimated from my average level of despair when i see them play)

• Funny 1