Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kingzy2013

Coal advice - Musashi

28 comments in this topic

Players
228 posts
4,669 battles

i am debating if this ship is worth getting - primarily for the up coming t9 ranked season. i have got the yama so other than a credit earner / ranked i doubt ill use it much. I have the coal and free exp to buy it. But i am unaware if any new t9-10 coal ships are coming out anytime soon and if they are i would likely save my coal. if anyone has any insight advice is welcome! i could use free exp but i may save it for ether the RN cv line or ussr bbs. 

Players
2,831 posts
19,479 battles

use FXP if you want the ship

FXP is the far less valuable resource atm

• Cool 5

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
1 minute ago, Gojuadorai said:

use FXP if you want the ship

FXP is the far less valuable resource atm

Dunno, depends, imo. I bought Musashi for coal with my last coupon just before hitting 7.12. Coal is more valuable if you want Salem or Jean Bart anytime soon, or if it conflicts with coupon choices (using coupon on Musashi now, vs maybe using it on a steel/coal ship later, potentially some that are yet to be released, like Azuma). Free exp meanwhile gains in importance the more you want to acquire Kronshtadt and/or Alaska (latter which made me buy Musashi for coal, as I'm not interested in Salem or Jean Bart in the near future and those two don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon).

Players
959 posts
13,826 battles

Worth remembering that Musashi will be the first coal-purchasable ship to be removed from the Arsenal.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,014 posts
7,691 battles

I think @Gojuadorai is right, FreeXP (is it still available for that) is the least 'rare'. 

Also no doubt it is gonna be a good ship for ranked. Mind though I'm bringing a Lion...

I think it will be a DD-hiding-fest but we'll see. 

BURN.gif.d6c55448e4fc1f415e04841cf5f65254.gif

[SM0KE]
Players
5,617 posts
13,892 battles

If WG are to be believed, Musashi is 'too cheap' given the present state of the economy; in that context, there are probably far worse things to do with one's free xp.

If you have enough free xp to get it, I would use that, as coal is slower to accumulate, and can be used for a lot of other valuable things...

[SHAD]
Players
2,602 posts
11,635 battles

I have this and the Jean Bart. If you have a coupon the Musashi is dirt cheap. Waiting for anything in particular? It looks like the Azuma will be Steel. Alaska for freeXP.

any new ships for coal?

Players
228 posts
4,669 battles

yeah i think i will use the free exp, i have enough flags to get another 750k-1mill at 7-10k per game so by the time ussr bbs get released ill likely have enough to get a fair way up the line. coal on the other hand is a very slow grind and with the coupon i may wait a few months see if anything else is coming out. jean never really appealed to me, the 380's just seem a bit lackluster unless HE spamming, which i got the conq for if i wanted that.. 

[THESO]
Players
4,089 posts

Dont forget to add that Musashi will be one of the most desired ships to hit in the 0.8 by all the CV players :)

If you have the Yamato ... I see no extra value in Musashi ... especially in the "upcoming meta".

• Cool 3

Players
228 posts
4,669 battles
15 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Dont forget to add that Musashi will be one of the most desired ships to hit in the 0.8 by all the CV players :)

If you have the Yamato ... I see no extra value in Musashi ... especially in the "upcoming meta".

that is true - but the bonus to that is currently you cant just get blapped out of existence in a single drop. atleast with the coming AA buffs i can find a nice worcester or DM to cuddle :L

[LADA]
Players
567 posts
8,796 battles
23 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Well technically anything and everything that isn't a CV is pretty much stuffed over in the rework. Everything's AA has been nerfed to Musashi levels - e.g. useless - so I'm not sure CV players have the incentive to focus it over other BBs. After all, it packs a lot of armour, health and a strong torpedo belt that can shrug off more incoming air torps than any other ship in the game. They'll go and rocket/bomb/torp some other easier target instead.

As for the original question; go for it. It's worth every bit of coal or FXP.

It is for all intents and purposes a Tier 9.5 and arguably truly MM proof. You will never encounter a target that cannot be hurt by those monstrous guns - even vs. T10s you can hit harder than many of them and take many more hits in return. When up against T9s, T8s and (comically) T7s - you can basically sail around the map blowing great big holes in anything unfortunate enough to cross you. Armour is irrelevant. Range doesn't matter. Bow tanking is no defence. Those guns don't care.

This is balanced by being vulnerable to CVs - but that can be managed by staying close to friendly AA and not overextending yourself outside of AA cover. Even if you do get caught by an aerial torpedo strike - any damaging strikes to the torpedo bulge are effectively cut in half. It isn't as slow as you might think, plus it *seems* (purely subjective here) to actually turn quite well for it's size. I have a lot of fun bombing around in mine, even compared to the Missouri and Jean Bart - both of which it outguns by a fair margin.

It really has no right being at T9 (makes the Izumo look terrible even more so) and is borderline overpowered in terms of the amount of damage you can rack up in a single decent salvo - but it's certainly fun. Enjoy it!

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
54 minutes ago, kingzy2013 said:

Yamato

If you already have the Yamato, then is it really worth you getting the Musashi - when most others say it feels like a downgraded Yamato (which you already have) and play, so you might end up not really liking it. Unless you want it to play high tier in a  premium for game cost purposes.

I do think it's cheap on coal price, I don't get why the Bart cost more coal to buy than the Musashi. I suspect they would have changed the price on it, was it not for the fact it's being removed soon.

[BBMM]
Players
6,014 posts
7,691 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

The extra value is that Musashi gets to see T7... at least, I see a lot of them when I play T7.

Sure Yamato h gets T8...same thing - but a T8 vs Yamato is quite different than T7 vs Musashi.

Besides, there's still the credit print.

[RL7S]
Players
248 posts
3,276 battles

Was having a similar debate over what to spend Coal and Free XP on, Musashi for Coal was the clear winner because there isn't a lot else to use Coal for otherwise, Jean Bart maybe but it's not going anywhere and Salem is a Des Moines for all intents and purposes.

Meanwhile Kronshtadt is about to get removed too and can only be had for Free XP, Alaska is about to arrive and looking very good, plus there is going to be a new Free XP russian destroyer (less interesting but still worth considering) so there's a lot to spend Free XP on.

So I brought Musashi for Coal and a discount voucher just before Christmas, after the snowflakes etc I'm back up to 130k coal already which would be almost enough to buy Musashi again (discount voucher refreshed), right now I'm debating whether to buy Kronshtadt and wait for Alaska, or buy Alaska right away when 8.0 comes out and see what else shows up for Free XP.

Worth noting right now Dynamo is the current operation which is very easy guaranteed free XP even without a group, although that ends Thursday morning (10th Jan). I had quite a lot of stockpiled flags and good camos so I've gained 400k free XP in about 20 runs, and my Cossack captain is about to hit 19pts after starting on 14.

Players
170 posts
7,460 battles

I have it, it is great, but do not buy it. You will play 2 weeks, then it's usefulness will drop to oblivion. With her, also every battleship with no AA to protect itself

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

They are going to have to buff the AA on all ships (more so on ships that have renowned poor AA defence) if this new CV rework means planes are faster at getting to targets and are unlimited for using.

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

When you division with others and they want to play T9, it is good to have a credit ship in T9 and I prefer Musashi over my Missouri in T9(Even if Missouri is my most played BB and Musashi least played, for now).

Also if your divmates play DD's in T9, it is better you take BB or cruiser instead of 3rd DD.

[THESO]
Players
4,089 posts
6 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

The extra value is that Musashi gets to see T7... at least, I see a lot of them when I play T7.

Sure Yamato h gets T8...same thing - but a T8 vs Yamato is quite different than T7 vs Musashi.

Besides, there's still the credit print.

Oh the power of RNG MM :)

Some people do not get lucky with favorable MM (me included) :)

[BBMM]
Players
6,014 posts
7,691 battles
2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Oh the power of RNG MM :)

Some people do not get lucky with favorable MM (me included) :)

Well, I have T9 Lion now, I still get the same MM as when I take Hood... :Smile_facepalm:

It's kinda shameful sometimes. 

Players
606 posts

I'm not convinced about people advising you not to buy Musashi due to AA. Yes, it's bad. No, I've not have any experience on PT so can only go on what I have read from others (@El2aZeR can probably help better here and correct me if I'm wrong), but from the sounds of things AA is pretty easy to work around for an average cv player in 0.8.0. Meaning catapult fighter is the best 'AA' defence you have... so, Musashi with catapult fighters + DCAA will be a 'thing', and you will have about as an effective aa defence as any other bb can hope for... I think this is about the only BB that is getting a 'buff' in 0.8.0!!!

[BBMM]
Players
6,014 posts
7,691 battles

AA is not a 'problem', well, as I see here and on YouTube EVERBODY is going to suffer,  badly,

to the point of forgetting about AA all together... so... I'd certainly not consider AA. 

It all will go to sh.. after 0.8.0 anyway. 

Beta Tester
1,148 posts
3,074 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

AA is not a 'problem', well, as I see here and on YouTube EVERBODY is going to suffer,  badly,

to the point of forgetting about AA all together... so... I'd certainly not consider AA. 

It all will go to sh.. after 0.8.0 anyway. 

This, I’ve seen a few people argue the aa change will make the Texas and PEF useless, I’m not sure how correct they are, but it is worth bearing in mind.

[BLITZ]
Players
53 posts
5,757 battles

I mean.... yes i Bought Musashi with coal, because i've spend my Free EP on a Krohnstahd.
And after a few Matches i liked it so much, that i've Started grinding the Japanese BBs and got a Yamato.
But i Still play it, because beeing basically a Yamato in T7 to T8 Matchmaking is a pure Meme by itself.

Sign in to follow this