Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Hibana_Banana

Pre-dreadnought era

7 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
1,962 battles

Hi captains ~

Just wanted to ask how many of you guys wish for more pre-dreadnought ships? In all honesty the Mikasa is such a lovely ship to play, or the ships such as Aurora or Bogatyr-class, I kind of wish for more of those, it would make for fun and engaging matches don't you think?

[XTREM]
Players
1,721 posts
13,880 battles

More will come, just a matter of when. And Mikasa is lovely indeed. Full secondary Mikasa should be banned, it's illegal to bash puppies like that. 

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

I do, but they need actual range on the secondaries. I'd suggest they use the same type of dispersion model as RU BBs, supposedly being awful at range but great close up, so they can get the guns firing without improving the overall damage done to OP levels. Mikasa just feels bad when everyone stays away from you. One needs to be able to comfortably fire secondaries across a capture point for the map control/presence of such a ship to be useful, so I tend to play Konig Albert instead for the same feel (5km at tier 3!).

There are a lot of fascinating designs from the pre-deadnought era, but WG opted to span only the period that everyone 'knows' when you mention words like battleship, cramping a vast array of ships from 1872 to 1908 into only tiers 2 and 3. All actually built and not sekrit dokuments from 1955, to boot. One funny feature of note is that the Indiana class had thicker main belts than Yamato (18" vs 16").

I think armoured cruisers with 2x2 8" guns are a better fit for the game, less damage potential so less weird RNG fudgery required. The later ones could very well appear up to tier 4 in complete heavy cruiser lines.

Players
734 posts

I love the pre-Dreadnought era ships (especially RN as that's what I'm most familiar with), it would be great to see more (a Majestic would make sense given how many of them there were) although given the characteristics of the type we would run the risk of ending up with just a bunch of Mikasa clones.

That said, there are always the semi-Dreadnoughts: the Lord Nelson/Agamemnon, King Eddie VII, possibly something in a Radetzky class.

Then as well there are the second-class battleships (smaller and faster generally), like Renown of 1895 and Triumph/Swiftsure.

Of course if we open the pre-Dread can of worms, does that mean we could end up with (more) armoured cruisers...? ;)

Sign in to follow this