Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Bayer

Game improvement Radar changes/Status buttons & Auto. AFK

21 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
13,335 battles

Hi there, I have a suggestions to the upcoming radar change and an idea which makes community gameplay easier

Lets start with the good old radar theme.

1.) Suggested Radar change

Radar is ok although I sold most of my DDs because of it. In games with up to 6 or more radarships on the enemy Team -- fun is over.

Suggested change:

-Make radar a full time turning radar. (Make it radar all the time). That tells a DD exatly when a radarship comes in range and gives him the option to turn around or continue. And as said make it a turning radar with maby a 10sec rotation speed for a 360 degree turn. (Spotted ... fading away.....spotted...fading away.) It only should give the Radarship and its team the chance to take a snapshot at the radared ship. No spotting longer than 2-3 seconds at a time.....but for the whole battle! Only the people really concentrating should be able to take a successful shot.

Gameplay: Enemy DD gets spotted and fading away. If you want to shoot at it then you will have  start turning  guns on predicted course and wait for next round of radar. DD spotted again...predict speed and course again and take the shot before DD is fading away again. 

Pros:

-Full game duration radar.

-Evereybody can still see the DD.

-DD gets instantly warned if a radarship gets close and can leave radar range (also a con)

-Much better protection for ships guided by a radarship.

-Good chance for anti radar gameplay by using those 8 second gaps.

-DDs don't get hammered away within one or more long radarphases.

-DDs can change course and speed in those 8 second gaps making it harder for enemys to focus on you when spotted again.

-Enhances radar cruisers life expectance

Cons:

-If your guns are not loaded or not pointing in the right direction, you can't take a shot and have to wait for the next radar turn.

-DD gets instantly warned if a radarship gets close and can leave radar range

-Gets rid of ships being able to sneak around the map until radar cruisers are out of position or sunk.

-Hard for any ship to sneak up to radarships.

-Makes DDs hard to hit for people which have slow turning guns.

-Some DDs cant get into stealth torp range

-Radarships will be focused even harder.

-Well positioned radarships could constantly spot a whole map.

It won't make it much easier, but then that instant wrecking surprise for DDs is gone and radarships more or less get buffed.

By the way: Where is the german radar? Like the FuMG 38 G (Seetakt) which was installed on Graf Spee and even submarines? One of the first radar systems in use.

2.) Status buttons in the harbour and automatik "AFK"- status.

If I play it is hard to tell who is online or AFK. Its good to see who is in a battle but we really have issues with invitations for clan battles. You invite member A wait for 5 minutes...invite Member B, and so on. Takes ages.

Also I catch myself doing all sorts of thing while the game is running. Go to the basement doing the laundry, fetching the mail or heading to the mall next door.  But I cant always post my activities it in every chat and dont want to disconnect from the game. So I get invites to clan battles & divisions or people try to chat with m while I am AFK.

Also there is times I dont want to be spammed by the clan and just play the game.

- Suggestion:

- Make it an "automatic AFK" after 10 minutes of not touching mouse or keyboard and not being in battle. (AFK message on screen).

Additionally give the harbour 3 Buttons

-available (Green light)

-DND/Busy (Orange light) (Online status hidden + no invites or personal text chat possible). Just playing for yourself! For everything else people have clan chat, teamspeak or discord etc.

-AFK (Red light) (shows AFK symbol on screen and besides name/no gameplay possible) shortkey should be possible

The status DND/Busy has to be clearly visible or should be mentioned after every battle.

This makes it easier to setup clan battles and lets you see who fell asleep while waiting for clan battles to take place :-)

Hope you like the ideas and hope that at least the status buttons get positive reactions from the community.

Have fun.

Admiral_Bayer

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[7DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,557 battles

Radar change?

Have i missed something?

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,875 posts
11,938 battles
3 minutes ago, Arakus said:

Radar change?

Have i missed something?

Yes you did. They are testing a delay for the teammates when you spot a DD with radar. Basicly a 5 sec warning before you get obliterated by 6 people at once.

@OP 

Your radar change is interesting but for good players it would make the radar ships even stronger not to mention it would be impossible to torp anyone because instead of 2-3 times your DD might be briefly spotted 50 times throughout the battle.

The status idea is cool though!

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
2,718 posts
16,657 battles

People already can't play around radar nowadays. Your proposal will make it a lot more difficult for DDs

[CATS]
Players
26,792 posts
14,377 battles

@Radar Suggestion

Would make it very difficult for DD to counter radar ships or do anything near them --> bad idea.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,901 posts
10,564 battles

Dear OP,

Why did you think it is necessarry to open a brand new topic about radar and other suggesstions..???
When you have 2 seperate pinned threads on the frickking top of the first page????

image.thumb.png.fb8599b5b53391c56eb6a6022e5f6ca1.png

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
951 posts

So u sold most of Your DDs cause of radar, and Your suggestion is to actually make it worse?

Forget DDs going for caps.

And how often do u meet 6 enemy ships With radar? Never ever seen more than 4. Ever.

Players
1,415 posts
13,248 battles

Gamelong duration of Radar?

No thanks no.... that is totally broken.

Just as Example:

If i just tuck myself in a nice spot with a Moskva you have less to no chance to dislodge me from that position and i can spot 11,7 KM arround me permanent..... and 8 second rotations are really unbalanced that means that you have your guns loaded on almost any Heavy Cruiser on T10, exceptions are Des Moines and Salem that have to wait 3 seconds longer.... 

Shall i continue?

How about the Megaspotting Machine called Minotaur... she can be sneaky as hell and dominate any cap with that change.

And the kicker, how about a yue yang that now practically is unjumpable.

I am sorry but thats just the tip of the Iceberg this Proposal would make the game even more static and less dynamic. 

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,866 posts
27,148 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Bayer said:

By the way: Where is the german radar? Like the FuMG 38 G (Seetakt) which was installed on Graf Spee and even submarines? One of the first radar systems in use.

So ... just because some ship historically had radar doesn't mean that it should automatically get radar in game. Mahan had radar, Jervis had radar, NO had radar, Pepsi had radar, Helena and Fletcher had two types of radar .... well you can see where this is going. I think that we already have plenty of radar ships and the last thing we currently need is more of them.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,842 posts
8,985 battles

This radar change would make the game less fun for everyone i guess :Smile_teethhappy:

DDs being permaradared the whole game, so they have to focus on working against that every 10 secs.

If the DD times that perfectly, he can probably dodge all shells going his way, because in 2-3 secs you cant check his speed (with torps)

And due to glorious WG coding, some/most? players wont even see the DD, because of the rendering delay, even faster rendering will probably leave you with only 1 sec to shoot.

The whole game would only evolve around radar :Smile_amazed:

Players
1,415 posts
13,248 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

The whole game would only evolve around radar :Smile_amazed:

And that would be utterly stupid, as it would kind of make people take even more radars into battle....

You'd have to somehow just have it a little desynced and then you get permavision on a cap.

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
1 hour ago, fumtu said:

So ... just because some ship historically had radar doesn't mean that it should automatically get radar in game. Mahan had radar, Jervis had radar, NO had radar, Pepsi had radar, Helena and Fletcher had two types of radar .... well you can see where this is going. I think that we already have plenty of radar ships and the last thing we currently need is more of them.

*nitpicking mode ON*

Well to be fair New Orleans had radar when it was still at Tier VIII and for Fletcher we have USS Black. :Smile_hiding:

On topic:

Radar one BAD idea. I mean really bad. The reason was decently explained in the comments above already.

I like the automated AFK idea with DND button though.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,866 posts
27,148 battles
8 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

*nitpicking mode ON*

Well to be fair New Orleans had radar when it was still at Tier VIII and for Fletcher we have USS Black. :Smile_hiding:

Which is exactly the point. Radar in WoWs is a consumable used for balance (or inbalance on some ships), its availability on ships is not based on some historic accuracy. NO is RL had a radar, in game NO had radar when she was T8 but lost it once moved to T7. Basically all T8+ ships, majority T7 and lot of T6 should have radar just because their RL counterparts had them. OP reasoning that just because GS, or any other German ships, had radar in RL that it should has it in the game is pointless.

[HALON]
Players
632 posts
10,216 battles

Status introduction proposal is great, really helpful.

Radar one not that much.

What about introducing 5% per second health loss for border huggers ?

Players
606 posts

Good suggestion on status in port

On radar... not so! However, IF this could be tied in as a limited run-time consumable (but more like spotter-plane duration) OR LoS only, then it MIGHT work... I don't have enough high-tier DD experience to advise.

Players
8 posts
13,335 battles

Well thanks for all the feedback,

but nobody picked up on the "turning radar" theme. A DD or other ship spotted by that radar should never spotted longer then 2-3 seconds. The "radar dome"  360 degree turn should take a certian time .....lets say 10 seconds. The spotting just takes place as it swiftes over the ship. Just enough time to turn your guns and fire a quickshot at that target.

I really enjoyed the DD gameplay. But already 2-3 radars can wreck you instanly. I also understand the smoke "OP" problem for all other ships. I am used to german smoke ..... set smoke and flee :-). Hydro was useful before radar, now only if there is no radars close. I understand it was a balance try. It is a hard topic. But what I tried to say is, that the "radar surprise" factor should be taken. If I know there is 1 Radar BB, 3 Radar cruisers and a radar DD in the game,  I dont cap. i cant. I play carefully and try to stay away from it and get into a position spotting those ships or use RPF to land  a lucky hit. But the radars are mostly sitting behind islands! Torp range Z52.. 10.5km. Russians ..ok only 20 seconds but 11.7km. I printed myself a list with radar ranges which is hanging at my screen. Thats nott the way i want to play. Clan battles is something else ...less ships to fire at U. Less ships so radarships have to get in a postion to fire themself. In random I try everything. I sail around the island spot the cruiser but nobody can shoot at him , because of the Island. 

No radar spot longer than 2 seconds all 10 seonds and the problem is gone. Because delayed radar wont change a thing. As a DD you dont seee the radar coming and are maby already so deep in range that the delay just ables you to tun away and the rest duration will still get you fragged.

So turning radar?

And many thanks for that good feedback on the status buttons and auto "AFK". Lets hope wargaming reads this as well!

Again thanks for the interest and have fun gaming.

Admiral_Bayer

Players
132 posts
6,078 battles

you forget about one thing, if there would be 2-3 permaradar cruisers, they would cover whole area almost permanently.

rotating radar which would respect islands and work like a spotter plane is something different. (with a cooldown)

i play cruisers and DDs, sometimes radar is the only counterweight against pesky DDs and when i am playing as DD, i just avoid radar cruisers. I would keep the current system, but would add a symbol above radar ships with their range, so when i play as DD i know that radar ship is coming. (would be good for new players as well)

Players
280 posts
4,050 battles

I think that after this CV rework DDs will be far more inclined to worry about 300knt planes finding you and pulverising you with rockets than radar.

Sign in to follow this