You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

White "GG"s with a devastating win

35 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
218 posts
5,055 battles

I never understand why people need to tell the other team "GG" when their team has waltzed over the the other team. I get it that there are people that need their ego softly carressed give them some feel of worth in this world, but a GG for me is when one team just barely takes the win over the other, even more so when the winning team was losing first. I'll even be the first to congratulate the opposing team when they win a proper "good game". I just think it's strange when people throwing GGs around with a win of 8+ vs 0 ships alive. What do other people think are " good games" ?

• Cool 16
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

[IRN]
Beta Tester
64 posts
4,417 battles

because even in one-way games, there is always some player who fights assiduously, and it is for them that they say "gg", because they deserve it even if their team was a disaster :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 15
  • Funny 1

[PRAVD]
Players
1,118 posts
5,616 battles

It feels a bit like rubbing extra salt into the wounds.

I write GG to an enemy team if they manage to beat us, or we them, in a close game or if a single enemy does something skillfull.

Getting steamrolled is usually because people suicide, stuff like that, and not because the enemy is just super unicum. So I usually don't say it to an enemy then either.

If your team gets steamrolled, and you fight till the end, killing three of us and just lose after you got a hernia from trying to carry, yes, then I will say GG, but I will also call that player/ship specifically, for example "GG Ognevoi"

And it depends on their behaviour. Everybody can be salty, but people acting like their team just murdered their pet don't have to expect any compliments.

• Cool 2

[COMFY]
Players
1,079 posts
5,826 battles

I try to write gg to the enemy team when it was a very close game that ended in a win or defeat.

To my own I write gg even if those are roflstomps but I feel like I had a good time and/or some performed really well.

• Cool 1

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,423 posts
9,417 battles

'gg' is often meant to be sportmanlike, but in a game where the enemy is crushed the winning team should simply type in 'bg'. ('gg' can easily be taken as rubbing salt in the wounds). There is a time and place for everything, saying 'gg' after a one-sided game is not really ethical - it often will be taken the wrong way. It's what is considered inappropriate for the given situation if offered in global chat by the winning team. BUT, if someone on the losing team offers 'gg' it's acceptable and very sportsmanlike of the loser to say so. Sporting ettiquette.

• Cool 10

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles

Feels like this doesn't it?

clown-pies-face-escalator-prank-14170396

• Funny 8

Players
4,771 posts
7,961 battles

Why everyone assume "GG" means "good game"... Git gud also apply:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Beta Tester
584 posts
3,820 battles

The losing team is supposed to be the one who says "GG", not the winning team; otherwise the winner looks like a sarcastic douchebag, rubbing the defeat on your face.

Otherwise, if you still feel like saying "GG" when only you had a good game, you might aswell write "GG no re" to make sure the enemy team knows you're definitely a sack of filth.

• Cool 4

[COMFY]
Players
1,079 posts
5,826 battles

Ok next time I'll write "get wrecked, lmao noobs".

This will definitely be better.

Edit: and seriously people write to it some sort of idealistic, noble [edited]. Some really get offended if other really wants to compliment.

But whatever, you won't change people.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
469 posts
9 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

The losing team is supposed to be the one who says "GG", not the winning team; otherwise the winner looks like a sarcastic douchebag, rubbing the defeat on your face.

Maybe people will be so pissed they’d actually try to get better :cap_cool:

Beta Tester
5,108 posts
2,939 battles
3 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

a GG for me is

You have found the answer to your question. What it means for you isn't necessarly what it means for others.

I know some people who've been in such games for so long they now type glhf at the beginning and/or gg at the end almost compulsively. It's litterally like saying hi and bye to them. To them, it's nothing more than a game's punctuation and I'm confident they hardly notice it when others (or themselves) type it in the chat anyway.

From experience, the people who wanna brag about a crushing win on the internet will rarely just restrain themselves to a "gg".

Honestly, from a personal perspective, even if they did, it's rather harmless. Yeah, it's a childish behavior, but if they won, and if they crushed your team, then you can't really do anything but suck it up just like you can't technically blame them for bragging about it. Naturally, since this is a team game, a crushing loss does not really mean everyone was terrible, just like a crushing win doesn't mean everyone on the winning team contributed in the same way ; and yes, it's common (and particularly infuriating) when the worst member of the winning team rubs the loss in the face of their opponents in excess ; however, I personally think if that happens, it's not the opposing team's job to say anything about it.

Wether it's from a good or bad player, with or without the intention to belittle the enemy, it's always mildly infuriating. But that's the price of losing. I'd agree there needs to be a line if the attack is more direct (there's a huge step between "gg" and "lol get rekt noobs"), but if it's not the case... nothing to do but suck it up and try to win the next one.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I usually "GG" when on the losing side, seeing only a biblical miracle could save us and when I feel the to be winners did a good job. I mean it as a token of respect and a way of capitulation with dignity. In doing so appreciating the "GG" from the to be winners so I get at least the feeling I didn't lose without a fight.

TL;Dr. I see it as a sign of dignity/ courtesy.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,963 posts
14,665 battles
4 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

a GG for me is when one team just barely takes the win over the other, even more so when the winning team was losing first. I'll even be the first to congratulate the opposing team when they win a proper "good game". I just think it's strange when people throwing GGs around with a win of 8+ vs 0 ships alive. What do other people think are " good games" ?

200% with you on that.

The problem seems to be that the "GG infestation" has started somewhere else in other online games, probably somehwere where mostly underaged kids play, who are told to treat their opponents kindly and that winning isn't really important, but playing in the company of others is... all that political correctness BS older players like me - born 1960 - never was buggered with...

One situation I often use the GG is when the enemy team is actively wiping out "my" team in the first 10 minutes of the battle and a loss is obvious and not avoidable..

So "GG team red - you'll defeat this sack of potatoes" is something you might see posted by me... ^^

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

If I get a crushing victory, I won't say gg to the enemy team, unless they say it first. If I found one player to be exceptionally good, I will say gg with his name and wp. If the fight was close, I give a gg, win or lose

But if I get a crushing defeat and the winners tell me gg. I tend to answer with "no, not really". If you do that you will find out that they usually did it out of politeness. And usually admit that it probably wasn't a good game for you. 

Not everything that is being said on the internet is done with malice intent. Most is just miss understandings I guess. 

• Cool 1

[-GOD-]
Players
165 posts
13,878 battles

The only GG are games that were fought over the hard way, balanced games so about 10 - 20 % of the matches lol. Unbalanced games are never GG. Not for the winners, and certainly not for the loseing team.

• Cool 5

[PK11]
Beta Tester
712 posts
10,977 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, stewie533 sagte:

Not everything that is being said on the internet is done with malice intent. Most is just miss understandings I guess. 

I prefer Miss World over Miss Understanding.

On a serious note, I usually type gz in case the other team wins in a roflstomp fashion. Gg in white I reserve for the battles where plenty of the players play really well and the battle is hard fought. Gg in green is a whole different story. 

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles

In more hardcore PvP games it is common courtesy to say "gg" at the end of the match regardless of in what manner you won or lost.

Some people just like to transfer that to every game they play.

Personally I just write "wp team" in team chat if my team is winning by a landslide and has shown skill while doing so.

• Cool 4

[W-C]
Players
501 posts
2,341 battles

Interesting thoughts here.

I tend to use it in these two situations:

Enemy team winning in a close game (or a rolfstomp defeat but I felt I personally did well!?) - Global chat: gg

Our team winning in a close game - Global chat: gg, wp (sometimes elaborate with 'close game' or some such other message... i.e. I enjoyed it, thanks, and am trying to not be condescending)

Generally winning in a landslide doesn't really merit a 'gg' because those games are often not particularly 'fun'. And it would always only be team chat if so.

[DAVY]
Players
481 posts
4,361 battles

THE fact this has to be explained sums up WG's majority playerbase in a nutshell...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[BODEM]
Players
218 posts
5,055 battles
On 1/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, ImperialAdmiral said:

Ok next time I'll write "get wrecked, lmao noobs".

This will definitely be better.

Edit: and seriously people write to it some sort of idealistic, noble [edited]. Some really get offended if other really wants to compliment.

But whatever, you won't change people.

I love it when if you discussing some inappropriate writings, people always think the only other option is writing something else inapropriate :) You can also NOT write anything if the situation calls for it :)

And acting like an [edited]while trying to compliment in all ignorance is still not the way to go. Fact is, getting rekt with a 12-2 loss is never a good game for the losing party. So the only sane reason for yelling that to the other side is to be sarcastic and rubbing salt in the wounds. 

[PK11]
Beta Tester
712 posts
10,977 battles
Am 7.1.2019 um 10:03, CraftyVeteran sagte:

THE fact this has to be explained sums up WG's majority playerbase in a nutshell...

You mean older people who think the internet has business hours? That would be me :cap_like:

Players
870 posts
11,839 battles
On 1/7/2019 at 6:14 AM, El2aZeR said:

In more hardcore PvP games it is common courtesy to say "gg" at the end of the match regardless of in what manner you won or lost.

Some people just like to transfer that to every game they play.

Personally I just write "wp team" in team chat if my team is winning by a landslide and has shown skill while doing so.

Actually it't not hardcore PvPers that "GGs" during wins. It's usually the casuals who don't get to win much or have stomping wins.

Infact in many competitive scenes it's considered very discourteous to GG the opponent when you are winning. It's always left to the defeated to call a GG if they wish and then the winning side can of course GG back.

There were competitive scenes in which if you GGed during the game it would be considered a instant admission of defeat. (SC2 as an example)

• Cool 2