Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kingzy2013

yama + overpen

9 comments in this topic

[COTNS]
Players
173 posts
3,260 battles

so i got into a situation earlier where i was 3km from a Edinburgh showing full broadside to torp me, so i got a salvo off which resulted in 8 overpens, second salvo resulted in the same thing which means i ended up eating a second set of torps and flooding to death. should i have shot HE in this situation as obviously 460 yama guns just lolpenned and did next to nothing. 

[TTT]
Players
4,214 posts
7,925 battles

try aiming a bit lower - hitting the water just before the ship can arm your shells, which then travel onwards into the ship and explode there. Not terribly reliable, but better than firing HE in a Yamato...^^ (all depends on the situation of course, like how much HP the guy has left etc)

[COTNS]
Players
173 posts
3,260 battles
20 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

try aiming a bit lower - hitting the water just before the ship can arm your shells, which then travel onwards into the ship and explode there. Not terribly reliable, but better than firing HE in a Yamato...^^ (all depends on the situation of course, like how much HP the guy has left etc)

hitting the waterline is a good idea, and i agree on it being better than shooting HE but even a full broadside of HE would likely do better than 8 overpens :/

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Yep, its the trade off for the lolpens to BBs, sadly the rest feels like jelly...

You will eventually get used to it. And there are situations you will look for a bit more angling as to make the shells work.

• Cool 1

[COTNS]
Players
173 posts
3,260 battles
14 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Yep, its the trade off for the lolpens to BBs, sadly the rest feels like jelly...

You will eventually get used to it. And there are situations you will look for a bit more angling as to make the shells work.

generally i do alright, its hard to not go for a full broadside target and the thought of just overpenning doesn't cross my mind. I see broadside and just imagine with good dispersion he will get deleted (generally vs t10 CL thats often the case) with the exception of Worcester with its troll armor. 

[RAIN]
Players
105 posts
10,084 battles
48 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Yep, this should do the trick, but please don't fire HE in your yamato at cruisers.

Players
4,793 posts
7,962 battles
33 minutes ago, kingzy2013 said:

hitting the waterline is a good idea, and i agree on it being better than shooting HE but even a full broadside of HE would likely do better than 8 overpens :/

Considering Edinburgh citadel barely sticks out of waterline, regular penetrations would be your best hope at best. And when you pack guns having over 8 times penetration than actual armor you want to punch at 3km, overpen is to be expected.

[NWP]
Players
4,634 posts
6,364 battles

Or try not to shoot when he is full broadside.

If he wants to throw all torps, he must angle in between. That would be the time to shoot.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles

Edinburgh isn't nearly as much a citadel magnet as the Neptune or Minotaur due to its citadel sitting a good bit lower and not as prominent above the waterline. Rest of the RN CLs' armour is paper thin and will get overpenned by basically everything.

If in doubt, shoot at RN CLs when they're angled. In a BB you'll overmatch their hull anyway and even if you don't hit the citadel as a result, you'll at least get regular penetrations instead of overpens only.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this