Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NoobySkooby

Lower tiers vs High tears

69 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles

Seems to me that you can have equal amounts of fun in the low tiers, from 1 to 5, bang for buck wise, now bearing in mind I have been out of the game for something approaching a year whilst I went hot for tanks, now I am back I sort of regret choosing tanks over ships. In WoT's the fun starts at around tier 7, anything below is a bit pew pew, ships seems so much better.

 

Time to rectify my mistakes, lol

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles

I'd say it's highly class dependent.

  • DDs certainly are way more powerful at lower tiers, having a lot of counters as well as very long cooldowns at higher ones (around t7 tends to be the low-point, they get better after that)
  • BBs (mostly) are frustratingly bad early on, but get into real powerhouses later (assuming you don't try to snipe from max range with your HE)
  • Cruisers are great early on with the lacking BB threat, and then again at high tiers when they start getting decent... but mid tiers can be described as nothing but miserable for them (at least in my honest opinion)
  • CVs... Useless in low tiers, heavily punished when they stop being useless because of massive increase of AA, then at some point they randomly start deleting everything even through DefAA (*khm* AP bombs *khm*). Not like it matters with a full rework coming in 2-ish weeks
  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,489 posts
11,012 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, NoobySkooby sagte:

Seems to me that you can have equal amounts of fun in the low tiers, from 1 to 5, bang for buck wise,

Truth be told I rarely get as much fun out of high tier games as low and mid tiers, with sucky MM Tier VIII being the cut-off.

 

The exception would be clan wars, because of the group experience and of course the absence of carriers.

 

But I'd be more than OK with Tier VI clan battles, or Tier V even, now that I have my own Giulio. Possibly even Tier VII, that would be a nice opportunity to test if Shiratsuyu is really such a good counter to Belfast as some people say.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,769 posts
7,427 battles
19 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

I enjoy T7 most of all.

 

T4 is possibly the best gameplay wise, the balance just seems better.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,908 posts
7,396 battles

Low tiers feels like an incomplete game for me. Utterly boring and I avoid playing them at all cost unless Im trying some cheesy builds (secondary arkansas/umikaze). Only exceptions might be some DDs. All in all the classes all lack many of their tools/consistency that round out/define their playstyle. Cruisers lack radars or hard hitting DPM/Alphas. BBs are slow and their guns are derpy beyond comprehension, many cant meaningfully or consistently punish one another. 

 

Low tier is too predictable, too matchup based (Rock paper scissors theme too strong) and punishing others too inconsistent. For comparison high tier is much more dynamic and tactical since most ships have a meaningfull way to reposition and impact the objectives.

 

Dont get me wrong, this is the perfect way to introduce new players to one concept at a time without giving seal clubbers too much leverage, but me on the other hand, id rather plow a field than play as much low tier as I do high tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles
6 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

T4 is possibly the best gameplay wise, the balance just seems better.

 

*laughs in Clemson*

:Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-MM]
Weekend Tester
134 posts
3,110 battles

7 seems to be the most enjoyable for me, which is also the same with tanks. I think this is because you've got decent firepower, distinct nation differences, quirky ships, and you're not having to deal with the broken endgame nonsense like the Stalingrad. Also, MM is reasonably gentle for all concerned, tending to give a balanced spread of 6-8.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
5 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Seems to me that you can have equal amounts of fun in the low tiers, from 1 to 5, bang for buck wise, now bearing in mind I have been out of the game for something approaching a year whilst I went hot for tanks, now I am back I sort of regret choosing tanks over ships. In WoT's the fun starts at around tier 7, anything below is a bit pew pew, ships seems so much better.

 

Time to rectify my mistakes, lol

 

Aha...

Have you ever thought of blogging? Because it looks like you want to start a blog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
151 posts

I’ve levelled a few T9 and T10 and, TBH, have struggled with them so have gone back and am doing. Few low level ones:

French cruisers - awful, die so easy.

Jap CVS - horrible, Miss all the time and planes are so week.

Pan Asian DD - an absolute hoot.

US Cruiers (I’d stopped at Phoenix before) - better than French, looks like being fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
1,551 posts
15,081 battles
2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Truth be told I rarely get as much fun out of high tier games as low and mid tiers, with sucky MM Tier VIII being the cut-off.

 

The exception would be clan wars, because of the group experience and of course the absence of carriers.

 

But I'd be more than OK with Tier VI clan battles, or Tier V even, now that I have my own Giulio. Possibly even Tier VII, that would be a nice opportunity to test if Shiratsuyu is really such a good counter to Belfast as some people say.

Its not belf has hydro and if it smokes up in a place it can be harrased out of by few torps its misplay by the owner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TRID]
Players
92 posts
3,850 battles
33 minutes ago, Juanx said:

 

Aha...

Have you ever thought of blogging? Because it looks like you want to start a blog.

Interesting...tell me more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
7 minutes ago, TheAlba2014 said:

Interesting...tell me more

 

Erm, you are not the OP creator, are you ok? Just looking for attention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
2 hours ago, Juanx said:

 

Aha...

Have you ever thought of blogging? Because it looks like you want to start a blog.

Good god no, no blogs for me, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YEEET]
Players
1,217 posts
11,876 battles

Tier 7 seems to most enjoyable  - the economy is reasonable, the ships interesting - you meet from Tier 5 to Tier 9 and the players are on the whole friendlier. Tier 10 is populated by some who really know how to play and a lot who don't so it gets a bit salty. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
469 posts
1 hour ago, triumphgt6 said:

Tier 7 seems to most enjoyable  - the economy is reasonable, the ships interesting - you meet from Tier 5 to Tier 9 and the players are on the whole friendlier. Tier 10 is populated by some who really know how to play and a lot who don't so it gets a bit salty. 

 

I agree, tier 8+ seems completely broken gameplay-wise.

 

There are several reasons, and they do occur at lower levels as well, but are easier to counter by good play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I thought the fun stops at T8+?

 

T7 is my favourite too with the only issue is WG allow Belfast and Z39 to equip the higher tier modules which breaks them (no one else can equip CE basically).

 

Problem with top tier here is it's infested with passive idiots, at least in WoT people fight and the maps are smaller. I prefer T9 over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles

title says it all :

 

low tiers

high tears

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles
7 hours ago, Affeks said:

Low tier is too predictable

I find the opposite to be true. In the lowtiers people are either new and have little idea where to go which lets them pop up at the wildest places at times (not always a bad thing), or it's more experienced players just having some fun in and doing whacky stuff ... whilst in the high tiers it plays a lot more formulaic as most people have by then figured out what works and what doesn't (the usual potato exceptions apply).

 

The low tiers are for the most part hilariously chaotic brawls and just fun.

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
134 posts
2,989 battles

I am really sad that the Tiers 1-4 are a "taboo zone" for good players. Because if you are a good player (especially unicum level) and play around those tiers constantly then you are branded (at the moment rightly so) as a "Sealclubber".

 

Imagine a competitive Environment in Tiers 1-4 (well maybe not 1...there isnt much there) where teams are as highly skilled as in Tier 10. I am pretty sure some sick gameplays would occur. Just think of a tier 2-3 match where every player has played 10000+ battles and have 19 Point Captains. That would be a whole different match.

 

Right now, Tiers 1-4 are basically "noobzone" where experienced players only visit when they lack Free XP to unlock higher Tiers instantly.

 

Also, Gameplay in Tiers 1-4 are strongly discouraged by WG since most Missions and goodies can only be earned by Tiers 5 and upwards. I certainly understand that though, from a business point of view, the higher tiers are much more lucrative and they dont want people to hang around in the "cheap regions" for too long.

57 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I thought the fun stops at T8+?

It does when you are not "hyper competitive".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,771 posts
7,961 battles
49 minutes ago, Atankean said:

It does when you are not "hyper competitive".

Since when learning from own mistakes is called "hyper competitive"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YEEET]
Players
1,217 posts
11,876 battles
57 minutes ago, Atankean said:

I am really sad that the Tiers 1-4 are a "taboo zone" for good players. Because if you are a good player (especially unicum level) and play around those tiers constantly then you are branded (at the moment rightly so) as a "Sealclubber".

 

Imagine a competitive Environment in Tiers 1-4 (well maybe not 1...there isnt much there) where teams are as highly skilled as in Tier 10. I am pretty sure some sick gameplays would occur. Just think of a tier 2-3 match where every player has played 10000+ battles and have 19 Point Captains. That would be a whole different match.

 

Right now, Tiers 1-4 are basically "noobzone" where experienced players only visit when they lack Free XP to unlock higher Tiers instantly.

 

Also, Gameplay in Tiers 1-4 are strongly discouraged by WG since most Missions and goodies can only be earned by Tiers 5 and upwards. I certainly understand that though, from a business point of view, the higher tiers are much more lucrative and they dont want people to hang around in the "cheap regions" for too long.

It does when you are not "hyper competitive".

I agree with you - I play the Fujin and much prefer being in a tier 7 battle with her as she should probably be re-tiered either to 6 or 7. The only advantage of the lower tier games is that the maps are smaller so it is easier to be spotted. And the fact that they are the one tier where one can almost guarantee a carrier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I play a lot with Shimakaze and Yamato, because I find it fun and I've been grinding both their unique upgrades (although I don't use Yamato's anymore, as I noticed my average damage lowering). It's probably got more to do with the ships than the tiers, though. Don't play Gearing and Moskva all that much.

 

Other than those I'm up to T8-T9 in the lines I'm currently grinding (Akizuki, Hipper, Neptune, Ibuki), so a lot of that as well. They're all reasonably fun (although Akizuki has that "can't win" curse for me like Chapayev, regardless of carry).

 

The only other ship I'm playing regularly of the ones I'm grinding is KGV, which is absolute garbage. However, T7 is very enjoyable, especially in actually fun ships like Shiratsuyu and Ashigara. At that point it doesn't matter so much if you get uptiered, since you're still only going to get T9 at most, which is a bit different from T10, even if it's just one tier. But mostly you'll get T7 and T8 games.

 

Lower tiers are also fun, but WG doesn't reward those, so it feels a bit like just playing for fun without accomplishments. You don't get much income, and most of the quests (mainly campaigns or whatever they're called) I'm focusing on are T8 and above.

 

TLDR, I find most tiers fun to play at, but I play mostly high tiers since then you also get rewards and progression.

 

2 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

I agree with you - I play the Fujin and much prefer being in a tier 7 battle with her as she should probably be re-tiered either to 6 or 7. The only advantage of the lower tier games is that the maps are smaller so it is easier to be spotted. And the fact that they are the one tier where one can almost guarantee a carrier!

This is kind of why I stopped playing Umikaze: When WG disallowed more than 1 tier spread in divisions, I couldn't get into T5 matches anymore. Those are far more fun than T2-T3 matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
469 posts

Nothing is wrong with visiting tier 3-4?

 

Just being in a MM that only allows +/-1, makes it overall feel more balanced.

 

And there are really interresting ships down there :cap_like:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

Played a T4 match in my Orion and scored a kraken without really trying. If a player of my stats can do that then that BB must be op.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×