Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ExtremeShip

Beginner destroyers?

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
30 posts
362 battles

I'm a beginner in this game and I have mostly used cruisers but are there any destroyers that are good for teaching basics of destroyer game play?

 

Thanks

 

Edit: I have a Tier 4 german destroyer but I don't know if I chose the right destroyer line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,163 posts
10,270 battles

Every line has its quirks, so it's hard to say. If you to focus want stealth and torps, those early German DDs are great and you can apply those lessons in higher tier Japanese ships too. If you want long-range shooting there are USSR and for close combat USA is best. It doesn't cost much to try early ships so either try out a few different ones and decide on a playstyle, or go read on the wiki.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles

USN ships are always some kind of allrounder, you can't do any wrong with those ships.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles

Thanks, I've got the tier 4 german destroyer and I like the play style so I guess I'll continue down that line.

 

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,053 posts
7,982 battles

I'd say the Tier IV German actually isn't a bad place to stop for a while. It's a fairly standard torpedo-focused DD, but with OK guns. The only unusual feature is the forward launching torps which you won't find outside the imperial-era Germans (Tier II-IV).

 

The MM at Tier IV is fairly kind, which is why I might practise here for a while. If you go to Tier V, you'll face your first Tier VII radar ships and it becomes a rougher game.

 

If you want another flavour to try, the Izyaslav on the Russian line is a wonderful Tier IV gunboat DD.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
4 minutes ago, jss78 said:

I'd say the Tier IV German actually isn't a bad place to stop for a while. It's a fairly standard torpedo-focused DD, but with OK guns. The only unusual feature is the forward launching torps which you won't find outside the imperial-era Germans (Tier II-IV).

 

The MM at Tier IV is fairly kind, which is why I might practise here for a while. If you go to Tier V, you'll face your first Tier VII radar ships and it becomes a rougher game.

 

If you want another flavour to try, the Izyaslav on the Russian line is a wonderful Tier IV gunboat DD.

Thanks for the advice

 

4 minutes ago, jss78 said:

 

The MM at Tier IV is fairly kind, which is why I might practise here for a while. If you go to Tier V, you'll face your first Tier VII radar ships and it becomes a rougher game.

I agree, I have tier 5 cruisers and the match making is difficult for me

 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
10 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

USN ships are always some kind of allrounder, you can't do any wrong with those ships.

Yeah, people are saying that the tier 4 clemson is good.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,163 posts
10,270 battles
6 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Thanks, I've got the tier 4 german destroyer and I like the play style so I guess I'll continue down that line.

 

 

Not so fast, the line changes at t6. They're tougher, less stealthy and focus on defeating other DDs in caps. If you want that same playstyle in higher tiers, Japan and Panasia are better choices.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
Just now, MoveZig said:

 

Not so fast, the line changes at t6. They're tougher, less stealthy and focus on defeating other DDs in caps. If you want that same playstyle in higher tiers, Japan and Panasia are better choices.

Thanks for the advice

 

1 minute ago, MoveZig said:

 

Japan and Panasia are better choices.

Yeah, their destroyers are stealthy which could be very helpful

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles
6 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Thanks for the advice

 

Yeah, their destroyers are stealthy which could be very helpful

 

Thanks

The T10 Torpedodestroyer has terrible torpedos, I can't recommend that destroyer. Also the Torpedo-line of the japanese have weak guns in general. While the Gun-line has of course good guns, but they're sluggish and have bad concealment.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
4 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

The T10 Torpedodestroyer has terrible torpedos, I can't recommend that destroyer. Also the Torpedo-line of the japanese have weak guns in general. While the Gun-line has of course good guns, but they're sluggish and have bad concealment.

What about pan asia destroyers, I have a tier 3 pan asia destroyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles
1 minute ago, ExtremeShip said:

What about pan asia destroyers, I have a tier 3 pan asia destroyer

The T10 was pretty op, good guns, good concealments and really good torpedos, but she got nerfed. The low and mid tiers don't have such good torpedos, but I guess they're still decent in total

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
5 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

The T10 Torpedodestroyer has terrible torpedos, I can't recommend that destroyer. Also the Torpedo-line of the japanese have weak guns in general.

yeah, that's why I don't use the japanese destroyers because of the weak guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
Just now, Pikkozoikum said:

The low and mid tiers don't have such good torpedos, but I guess they're still decent in total

yeah, I can't play pan asia destroyers well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,430 posts
5,600 battles
5 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

What about pan asia destroyers, I have a tier 3 pan asia destroyer

They are similar to the IJN destroyers, however they can not target destroyers with their torpedoes so you lack a lot of useful pressure. Their torps are incredibly stealthy and hit fairly hard and they have decent gunpower to back it up. Up to tier 9 I would go for the IJN if you want torpedo power, but at tier 10 even after the nerf Yueyang is a better option than the Shimakaze thanks to stealthier torpedoes and even after the gun buff on the Shima the Yueyang still has better guns in a knifefight.

 

Hybrid DD's are the ones that you want though if you want torpedo power but still need to defend yourself, and the US and German DD's are the best hybrids currently.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles
Just now, ExtremeShip said:

yeah, that's why I don't use the japanese destroyers because of the weak guns

Well, their specialisation are torpedos, but the Shimakaze sucks, the torpedos are hard hitting and many, but the easiest torpedos to spot and dodge. I'm still looking forward, that they will change those torpedos to make them more consistent.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
Just now, ollonborre said:

They are similar to the IJN destroyers, however they can not target destroyers with their torpedoes so you lack a lot of useful pressure. Their torps are incredibly stealthy and hit fairly hard and they have decent gunpower to back it up. Up to tier 9 I would go for the IJN if you want torpedo power, but at tier 10 even after the nerf Yueyang is a better option than the Shimakaze thanks to stealthier torpedoes and even after the gun buff on the Shima the Yueyang still has better guns in a knifefight.

Thanks, I don't really know about IJN destroyers because I like destroyers with decent gunpower but fairly good torpedoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SSA]
Players
776 posts
17,022 battles
18 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Yeah, their destroyers are stealthy which could be very helpful

Do note that most, with the exception of the Khabarovsk (and arguably Harugumo) the T10 DDs hover around the same max. concealment of 6km:

Gearing, Daring, Yueyang at ~5.8-5.9, Z-52 & Grozovoi at ~6.0, only the Shima is a bit stealthier at ~5.6.

 

Also (main-line) IJN-DD guns aren't as bad as many ppl make them out to be.

Sure you'll never out-dpm your competition, but the alpha is damn good (~4k/full salvo) and you can usually get off the first shot.

i.e. They are best used to ambush other dds before disengaging quickly and to finish off low-health targets.

The point the other guys made about the torps still stands though, you trade speed and massive dmg for torpedo-concealment,

so like the guns you'll generally need to create a situation where the enemy will have a hard time evading regardeless, which requires a bit of skill (and still needs a bit of luck to work well ^^)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles
3 minutes ago, rnat said:

Also (main-line) IJN-DD guns aren't as bad as many ppl make them out to be.

Sure you'll never out-dpm your competition, but the alpha is damn good (~4k/full salvo) and you can usually get off the first shot.

After getting one salvo off, the enemy dd shoots twice as fast with just a little less damage. Only comparing the guns, the IJN guns are bad. There are situations, where IJN dds are still able to win. I play the Asashio a lot and I win often those fights, but it's not because of the guns. It's more because of 2 rear turrets + small and slim ship + good rudder shift. That makes the ship hard to hit, while there is still 66% of the gun power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
8 minutes ago, rnat said:

Do note that most, with the exception of the Khabarovsk (and arguably Harugumo) the T10 DDs hover around the same max. concealment of 6km:

Gearing, Daring, Yueyang at ~5.8-5.9, Z-52 & Grozovoi at ~6.0, only the Shima is a bit stealthier at ~5.6.

 

Also (main-line) IJN-DD guns aren't as bad as many ppl make them out to be.

Sure you'll never out-dpm your competition, but the alpha is damn good (~4k/full salvo) and you can usually get off the first shot.

i.e. They are best used to ambush other dds before disengaging quickly and to finish off low-health targets.

The point the other guys made about the torps still stands though, you trade speed and massive dmg for torpedo-concealment,

so like the guns you'll generally need to create a situation where the enemy will have a hard time evading regardeless, which requires a bit of skill (and still needs a bit of luck to work well ^^)

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SSA]
Players
776 posts
17,022 battles
15 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

It's more because of 2 rear turrets + small and slim ship + good rudder shift. That makes the ship hard to hit, while there is still 66% of the gun power. 

You're right, the guns per se aren't the sole point. It's the whole package that makes it work.

My main contention is that they aren't a dealbreaker either and can be made to work pretty well.

(I forgot to add the decent arcs, that make hitting beyond close range relatively easy)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles

No easy answer here.

 

  • IJN DDs are pretty straightforward stealthtorp machines, but not really good at anything else and their efficacy drops sharply the better your opponents are (i.e.: know how to WASD). Bonus is the split line going into the Akizuki and on, which are very, very strong gunboats.
  • USN DDs are excellent brawlers and in the hightiers get pretty damn good torps and concealment to the point where they mostly supercede the IJN DDs in most aspects, but the early tiers can't stealthtorp so you have to play them as ambush boats which isn't particularily easy for beginners.
  • PA DDs strike a balance between IJN and US with good stealth, guns and torps but with the caveat that those deep water torps can't hit DDs at all.
  • VMF DDs are very good gunboats, but lousy at torpedoeing anything outside spitting distance. Early tiers are also pretty bad at brawling due to slow turret traverse. Funny and effective to play if you like zipping around and letting your guns work for you, but horribly outclassed by basically all DDs the moment you have to be stealthy.
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
30 posts
362 battles
13 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

No easy answer here.

 

  • IJN DDs are pretty straightforward stealthtorp machines, but not really good at anything else and their efficacy drops sharply the better your opponents are (i.e.: know how to WASD). Bonus is the split line going into the Akizuki and on, which are very, very strong gunboats.
  • USN DDs are excellent brawlers and in the hightiers get pretty damn good torps and concealment to the point where they mostly supercede the IJN DDs in most aspects, but the early tiers can't stealthtorp so you have to play them as ambush boats which isn't particularily easy for beginners.
  • PA DDs strike a balance between IJN and US with good stealth, guns and torps but with the caveat that those deep water torps can't hit DDs at all.
  • VMF DDs are very good gunboats, but lousy at torpedoeing anything outside spitting distance. Early tiers are also pretty bad at brawling due to slow turret traverse. Funny and effective to play if you like zipping around and letting your guns work for you, but horribly outclassed by basically all DDs the moment you have to be stealthy.

Thanks, I have the tier 4 clemson which I like, but I don't know if I should continue with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2 posts
Le 05/01/2019 à 16:15, ExtremeShip a dit :

I'm a beginner in this game and I have mostly used cruisers but are there any destroyers that are good for teaching basics of destroyer game play? FMovies YesMovies SolarMovie

 

Thanks

 

Edit: I have a Tier 4 german destroyer but I don't know if I chose the right destroyer line

You can use the basic of the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
2,863 posts
6,686 battles
On 1/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, ExtremeShip said:

I'm a beginner in this game and I have mostly used cruisers but are there any destroyers that are good for teaching basics of destroyer game play?

 

Thanks

 

Edit: I have a Tier 4 german destroyer but I don't know if I chose the right destroyer line

Something to have on the radar is that there isn't really one single 'Tao' of DD play, but rather a set of skills and approaches where you will emphasise/de-emphasise different aspects, depending on which line you're playing, and what sort of situation you're facing.

 

You can certainly do a lot worse than the KM destroyers - they are a decent mix of guns and torps, with tolerable (not great) stealth, access to hydro (T6+), and usually a decent amount of survivability. You also have a couple of decent premiums available, for captain training. The hydro can be really useful, as a lot of players are prone to sitting still in smoke, thinking you can't detect them (it's worth putting the hydro mod on premiums, and higher tier 'keepers').

 

I wouldn't discount the IJN torp line entirely; the guns are a lot less bad than people think (you'll catch a few enemies napping because they think you're no threat in this regard), the torps tend to have a good reach (although they can be spotted from orbit), and you usually have pretty much the best stealth for your tier. At the moment, there is a shortage of sensible premiums (Asashio is splendid, but very weird and situational; Shinonome is great, but hidden behind a long campaign that needs high tier ships; the rest are discontinued), although there is a promising-looking T7 just gone into test. So, if you like torps and stealth, look no further.

 

The US line are excellent all-rounders; decent dakka, and worthwhile torps, albeit very much orientated towards shorter ranges to start with - the guns have the notorious US 'rainbow' arcs, making hitting things at long range difficult, and you don't get the ability to stealth torp until T7 (T6 premium). The main issue you face with the US line is that their stealth isn't great, especially in the middle tiers. There are several premiums available, which work well as captain trainers for the main line. Basically, the US are the game's classic generalists.

 

If you like dakka, you have a couple of options: the Russian and RN lines. The Russians are mainly all about the guns - for much of their DDs, the usual approach is to superglue/gaffa tape your left mouse button down, and zoom around the map, firing non-stop at anyone you see (Russian 'railguns' make hitting things at range easier than the other lines). Most of the time, their stealth is lacking, but who cares - only bed-wetting capitalists are afraid of being seen, comrade! The Russian DD line splits - the Khaba branch continues the 'dakka' theme, whilst the Groz line is a bit more generalist, with less awful stealth and usable torps. The RN line goes in for stealth, and excellent guns (although their arcs are more rainbow than railgun); their torps get usable around T6(ish), with a CE captain. The RN DDs are splendid, but are perhaps not the best choice for one's first line (they need to use their guns to do decent damage, which is challenging for a ship reliant on stealth, and they can single-fire torps, which also takes practice). Both Russian and RN lines have good premiums available for training.

 

The Pan Asian line is interesting, but another "don't do it first" - their main characteristic of note is their DWT (deep water torpedoes); these can't hit DDs, so require a bit of getting used to - they can ruin the day of those ships they can hit though. The PA line is a bit eccentric, as it consists of ships from various different nations, as you go up the tree. Higher up, you can take radar instead of smoke, which can be useful, especially in competitive modes. Arguably, the key problem with this line is that WG went a bit mad recently and over-nerfed the T10, making it a bit pointless to go above T9. You have a couple of worthwhile, albeit rather different, premiums available to you too - Loyang (the T8) used to be undisputed king of competitive DDs, and is still strong now (despite most people having worked her out now) - the combination of smoke and powerful hydro is very useful.

 

To (finally!) answer the question though: Germans are a good starting point, but I would also do the IJN, and US lines at the same time - at lower tiers, ships are cheap, and it's easy to advance to T5/6 fairly painlessly. I would suggest not breaking into the +2 MM bracket without a ten point captain though - CE is pretty much essential, and almost every DD you face will have it in randoms/ranked. If you're short of ten point captains, you can get some freebies from some of the Ops, and/or bag some via the Arsenal (some for coal, some for real money i.e. doubloons).

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×