You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Squarebasher54

Gearing turrets?

17 comments in this topic

Players
37 posts
7,516 battles

Hi Guys, just wanted to ask a question. I have just got the gearing on my first game in it I meet an enemy gearing, we start to shot at each other both using HE this player keeps disabling my turrets with his fire we are under 6k range is it possible to do this with good aim? because that is what he said in chat when I asked him, I have never come across this previously in any other DD engagements.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Id guess luck + aim high.

Try using the module that increases main armament HP on slot 1, if the issue repeats itself see if that helps.

Players
1,685 posts
11,372 battles
16 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Id guess luck + aim high.

Try using the module that increases main armament HP on slot 1, if the issue repeats itself see if that helps.

This.

Its really more of a BB thing though. Earlier in the games history,  some DDs were more prone to lose turrets, afaik not anymore (Gearing and some Rashans especially)

Players
4,737 posts
7,935 battles
47 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

This.

Its really more of a BB thing though. Earlier in the games history,  some DDs were more prone to lose turrets, afaik not anymore (Gearing and some Rashans especially)

Yep, before turret hp buffs ending game with turrets still present was rarity. Old tier 6 Ognevoi was especially "fun" once turrets were gone:cap_old:

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
6,248 battles

Not only DD's were prone to that, the big brother of DDs Atlanta way especially prone to that, imagine plaing a Atlanta with one mabe two turrets working :Smile_smile:

Players
2,165 posts

75% luck, but also he would be aiming higher on your hull so likely to hit the turrets, HE is likely to shatter on the hull and a DD knife fighter with any experience won't aim lower down unless he's got a fairly flat side to aim at and AP loaded (Or he plays Daring and knows the angles it can cope with or Z52 and knows how to shoot  AP because the HE is a bit meh). 

No DD other than Khaba has much armour, but it's perfectly capable of shattering HE when angled and the upper works tend to have more to shoot at, where it will hurt.

[PRAVD]
Players
1,118 posts
5,616 battles

Turrets knocked out? My rear torpedo launcher completely destroyed is way more common I think (that thing seems to be made of glass).

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
52 minutes ago, Robber_Baron said:

Turrets knocked out? My rear torpedo launcher completely destroyed is way more common I think (that thing seems to be made of glass).

You mean jelly right? Because glass has a integrity sorely lacking on most launchers.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,007 posts
9,821 battles

It’s possible to aim for turrets with the intention to disable them yes. I’ve got quite good at it. It’s also possible when you get your sight in to disable engines and rudders to force your opponent to use repair consumable. At close quarters, sub 4/5 km. anything further and it become way more RNG.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,525 posts
15,525 battles
9 hours ago, Panocek said:

Yep, before turret hp buffs ending game with turrets still present was rarity. Old tier 6 Ognevoi was especially "fun" once turrets were gone:cap_old:

lol, and those 4km torps........ the amount of games i had with no turrets 90% health and nothing but 4km torps and 6 or 7 km detection...

Players
1,489 posts
10,958 battles

It also depends (a little) if you use the Preventive Maintenance captain skill.

Not having a Gearing per se, I couldn't say how much it depends, but it is en vogue these days to prefer Priority Target, and it does make a fairly big difference on some ships I play and used to play.

Main Armaments mod 1 as the first slot upgrade made an even bigger difference.

Players
37 posts
7,516 battles

I do have Main Armaments mod 1 and Preventive Maintenance, I have used the gearing maybe 5 more rounds now and have not come across that again.

[JRM]
Players
1,527 posts
15,066 battles

Yes he can and many players will do that if you go in a 1on1 knifefight, those turrets are hudge and easy to hit targets and if he blows or knocks out your turret 1/3 or even 1/2 (when bow in) of your dps is gone in an instant if you DCP it you usually get a fire after that and he breaks off and let you burn or finishes you off since you are now in disadvantage depending on the situation, same applys to some bbs with lots of guns per turret where a good aim can be rewarded with crippling an opponent with little downsides

Players
2,165 posts
21 hours ago, Squarebasher54 said:

I do have Main Armaments mod 1 and Preventive Maintenance, I have used the gearing maybe 5 more rounds now and have not come across that again.

I use that combo on all of my DD's, Priority Target is fine, but I tend to assume if spotted everyone is shooting at me and I don't really care if it's 1 or 10 people, I'm either committed to knife fighting or trying like hell to get un-spotted anyway.

The combo may help avoid getting Torp Tubes disabled at the wrong time as well, so I find it generally useful.

Gearing is a good boat when you're used to it.

• Cool 1