ExtremeShip

Best cruisers for beginners

30 comments in this topic

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,556 posts
6,887 battles

I would say the US heavy cruisers. Otherwise with cruisers like the japanese ones are pretty good to learn, how a cruiser actually works, but they can be more frustrating for beginners, because the japanese cruisers have shallow shell arcs, so they can't hide behind islands and have to dodge and maneuver a lot

The US heavy cruisers have steep angles and can sit behind island and shoot over the islands. They have fast reload for heavy cruiser guns and radar.

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles

Thanks for the reply!

I think I will go down the US cruiser line then as I have got to tier 4 and they seem to fit my play style

Thanks

• Cool 1

Players
4,611 posts
5,708 battles

Anything but Royal Navy. The others are pretty much all equally decent learning experiences.

IJN - Long-range torpedoes, crap dpm but quickly become heavy cruisers and at high tier become stealthy. They are roaming ships.

USN - Good gun dpm, but lack torps. More used for hiding behind terrain. Branch out into light and heavy cruisers, with light cruisers being pure shell spam and consumable abuse, while heavies are slow but hard-hitting AP and decent HE.

RU - Long-range cruisers. Pretty standard. Get unmaneuverable fast but have good shell speed to hit things at range.

KM - AP dpm. Later becomes roaming cruisers but without stealth. Torps are shorter ranged than IJN, but great for brawls.

MN - Fast ships with decent range that rely on dodging. torpedoes have decent range and angles but are few, so they mostly are for harassment. They later get speed boost and main battery reload boost, which allow them to zip around and to short-time bursts of damage.

RN - no armour, very stealthy, get smoke and repair party, only AP ammunition, are vulnerable to CV till T9. torpedoes are decent and later on can compete with IJN in torp boat potential. Very hard to play, because you die easily.

• Cool 3

Players
30 posts
362 battles

Thanks

I enjoyed playing IJN cruisers but the Tier 5 Furutaka is not my play style although I enjoyed the Tier 4 Kuma.

I think I will go to Tier 6 or Tier 7 in US cruisers and KM cruisers and see which one fits my play style best.

Thanks for the reply!

Players
30 posts
362 battles
24 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Anything but Royal Navy. The others are pretty much all equally decent learning experiences.

I agree with that, I can't play Royal Navy cruisers well.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,556 posts
6,887 battles
37 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Thanks

I enjoyed playing IJN cruisers but the Tier 5 Furutaka is not my play style although I enjoyed the Tier 4 Kuma.

I think I will go to Tier 6 or Tier 7 in US cruisers and KM cruisers and see which one fits my play style best.

Thanks for the reply!

There is also a difference in the tiers. T5 can be different from T7 or T10. If you fail with the new tier, then you just need more games and learn more about the tier. When I had 1000 battles, I was still learning about this games

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles

yeah, I mean the ship is good but I find it hard to use properly in battle, also with Tier 5 I'm playing against tier 7 so I will just have to try my best to get the Tier 6 ship 

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,556 posts
6,887 battles
23 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Thanks for the replies, this has made choosing ships a lot easier

Thanks!

Feel free to ask about specific cruisers and if you have troubles with them.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,883 posts
6,692 battles

Whilst I'm pretty awful with cruisers, I might suggest IJN, to start with, as they're perhaps the most well-rounded - a decent mixture of guns and (long-range) torps, and they're not completely fragile.

If you like plenty of dakka, the US CLs are worth a look, although you lose the torps from T6; be mindful though that most CLs from all nations (with the main exception being the RN) often need a heavy investment in captain skills to be effective - mainly due to generally needing IFHE, although there are a few exceptions.

If you want to eventually get your hands on radar, you really need to play one of the US lines, or the Russians (or buy premiums) - they all get access to radar at T8. The KM cruiser hydro is rather magnificent as an alternative way of making DDs' lives miserable (it's obviously shorter ranged than radar, but it does detect torps).

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles

Thanks for the reply!

I've got the IJN tier 5 Furutaka and I might start using it again, although tier 5 match making usually puts me in battles with tier 7 ships.

Thanks

[SM0KE]
Players
2,883 posts
6,692 battles
20 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

I've got the IJN tier 5 Furutaka and I might start using it again, although tier 5 match making usually puts me in battles with tier 7 ships.

T5 is a bugger in that respect for most ships; at least with the Furry Taco you get decent guns, and 10 km torps (with reasonably good firing arcs - higher up the tree it gets obvious that you're about to fire torps, if you aren't already kiting).

If you haven't already, I'd suggest grinding the upgrade modules (or at least the more important ones) in coop - that way you don't have to face real people in a stock ship.

BTW have you seen this; it's not wildly recent, but is quite funny, and vaguely informative:

Edit: I think the video may pre-date the current captain skills configuration, so ignore that bit...

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

If you haven't already, I'd suggest grinding the upgrade modules (or at least the more important ones) in coop - that way you don't have to face real people in a stock ship.

Yeah, It shouldn't take long for me to get the tier 6 IJN cruiser as I have all the modules on it that I need and I don't need much xp to get the tier 6.

The one and only thing that annoys me is the Tier 5 Match making

BTW thanks for the reply!

Players
30 posts
362 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

BTW have you seen this; it's not wildly recent, but is quite funny, and vaguely informative:

Yeah I saw the video although I don't think my ship positioning is very good as I always find myself to be detected by other ships or by enemy aircraft

Thanks

[SSA]
Players
778 posts
17,027 battles

I don't know how far you've come with the Furutaka, but stock (i.e. no upgraded modules) that ship is awful. Once you've gotten the better guns, range and C-hull she's an absolute monster though.

Flamu recently made a good commentary about the ship (and how to make the most of it) if you're interested:

Spoiler

• Cool 2

Players
30 posts
362 battles
1 minute ago, rnat said:

I don't know how far you've come with the Furutaka, but stock (i.e. no upgraded modules) that ship is awful. Once you've gotten the better guns, range and C-hull she's an absolute monster though.

Flamu recently made a good commentary about the ship if you're interested:

Thanks!

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,556 posts
6,887 battles
7 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Yeah, It shouldn't take long for me to get the tier 6 IJN cruiser as I have all the modules on it that I need and I don't need much xp to get the tier 6.

The one and only thing that annoys me is the Tier 5 Match making

BTW thanks for the reply!

T8 and T9 are pretty rough to play, and you need to angle always against bbs, otherwise you get deleted :D

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles
1 minute ago, Pikkozoikum said:

T8 and T9 are pretty rough to play, and you need to angle always against bbs, otherwise you get deleted :D

Yeah, angling is something I'm not good at right now, Sometimes I just want to use all the Furutaka's guns but yes that gets me deleted lol

Thanks!

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles
27 minutes ago, rnat said:

Flamu recently made a good commentary about the ship (and how to make the most of it) if you're interested:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks, from what I saw in the video the Furutaka has good armour for its tier so probably my angling lol

Thanks

• Cool 1

Players
4,611 posts
5,708 battles
44 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

Thanks, from what I saw in the video the Furutaka has good armour for its tier so probably my angling lol

Thanks

Note, you can angle against any T5 BB, against all T6 BBs except Bayern, Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, West Virginia and Mutsu and it will fail against most T7s. In general, in a cruiser, this means you still don't want to get hit, but if they land around you, be at an angle where they have nothing flat to land on. As Aoba and Myoko get similar 25 mm armour, their armour schemes become progressively less great and Mogami at T8 is basically just going to get wrecked by every same-tier BB that hits it. Ibuki is barely better. Zao gets tanky again. But by the time you arrive at Mogami, you should have learned how to kite so you can abuse that to not get hit in the first place.

Overall, the IJN  cruiser line is a bunch of fantastic ships.

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
362 battles

I don't know if I should start a new post for this.  but besides cruisers, are destroyers a beginner friendly line?

Thanks

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,432 posts
5,611 battles
16 minutes ago, ExtremeShip said:

I don't know if I should start a new post for this.  but besides cruisers, are destroyers a beginner friendly line?

Thanks

I'm no DD main but I would say yes, maybe. It depends on what line you play. DD's in general have a lot of matchwinning potential so a bad played DD can be more hurtful to your team than a badly played cruiser or BB. However if you go for caps, spot and harass then you can quite comfortably carry games to victory.

I would recommend the German line for cap contesting and the US line for jack of all trades playstyle (from tier 7 and up). 

If you want pure torpedo power then IJN up to the Yugumo or the pan Asian tree.

Still as I said I'm no expert on the matter so any proper DD main feel free to fill in the blanks or correct me.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this