You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
vash_hu

The Compliment Initiative

63 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
62 posts
5,794 battles

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start a new movement. Has it ever happened to you, that you got unlucky in a match and then received -2-3 karma? Did good in a game, and got nothing? Today for example, I got deleted in Des Moines once in the beginning, but then had a 2600+ game with it and also with the Hindenburg. The net karma is -3.

I know that a lot of people does not care about karma, but there are some of us that do. I also know that we (me included) are waaaay too quick to report people for being bad/afk, but we are not that eager when it comes to compliments. So I decided a while ago, that I will give a compliment to every player on my team (or also on the enemy's, except to enemy T9-10 CV-s :) ), that received 2000+ base XP at the end of the match, or if I saw someone doing exceptionally good in-game. I sometimes do it even on lost matches, when someone has 1333+ XP.

So if you feel the same, just simply join my Initiative, and have fun :)

(Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker)

Vash

• Cool 21

[NWP]
Players
4,634 posts
6,364 battles

You can also hard carry and still get reported for that :cap_popcorn:

Even got called being a Bot once whily carrying the team to a victory :cap_old:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[KENS]
[KENS]
Players
51 posts
9,245 battles

It’s my favourite thing ever, getting reported by the 40% WRer who didn’t like the camo I was wearing or whatever ridiculous reason they find, they hand out reports the come dead bottom of the team, what would I do if I lose those reports 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
2,398 battles

Nice post!

I agree that we should be at least as generous with compliments as we are with reports. Too many players out there report others for completely irrelevant reasons, such as their choice of ship or for "disobeying orders" (as if anyone here is part of a formal hierarchy anyway). I usually only report players that are deliberately sabotaging the game for others, or who otherwise act in a blatantly careless and inconsiderate way toward their fellow gamers - and even then only if I have seen the relevant action myself. Simply losing the game or getting a low xp count is certainly nothing that warrants a report. If someone reports you for just being unlucky, then that person has clearly misunderstood the report system.

I feel no need to be overly careful with my compliments, however. I don't toss them out for no reason, but I try to be aware when someone does something worthy of notice, such as being polite or helpful in chat, or generally playing well, and to remember to reward that with a compliment. A loss or a misplay can occur in spite of the best efforts, though, so I haven't felt inclined to adopt a definitive xp limit - but that is certainly one possible (and perfectly reasonable) way to go about it.

So in short, @vash_hu, I welcome your initiative!

(And your English is fine, by the way!)

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,878 posts
6,686 battles

Good idea!

I regularly run out of daily compliments to hand out - if you play for more than a few minutes, you'll usually encounter something worthy of praise, even if it's just someone being a decent life-form...

• Cool 7

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,144 posts
11,248 battles

As a general rule I tend to use far more of my daliy compliments than I do my reports. Reporting people is generally pointless (Zero karma minus one is still zero) whereas complimenting someone for playing well in game is generally a more rewarding experience.

• Cool 4

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,665 posts
5,505 battles

Some people just have to use up ALL of their entitlement regardless of what it is for... have 10 compliments to use then use them, 10 reports.. ditto :)

(I find ranked battles tend to bring out the negative spammers).

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
46 minutes ago, vash_hu said:

I know that a lot of people does not care about karma

And that would be level headed individuals with the clarity of: nobodies on the internet carry no weight in my life.

46 minutes ago, vash_hu said:

but there are some of us that do

And you should really seek help if that is the case, find something IRL that makes you feel good, seeking validation from strangers on the internet will help no one...

[TTT]
Players
1,147 posts
11,447 battles
3 minutes ago, Juanx said:

And you should really seek help if that is the case, find something IRL that makes you feel good, seeking validation from strangers on the internet will help no one...

And you should really seek help if you are here just to comment in this stupid way, find someone in IRL and go give useless advice to him.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
1 minute ago, GrumpyRolf said:

And you should really seek help if you are here just to comment in this stupid way, find someone in IRL and go give useless advice to him.

As you can see, I did address the thread topic, you on the other hand just got triggered...

:cap_hmm:

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,553 posts
6,887 battles

Just ignore Karma. Like in every game, people often have different opinions and different strategies. If someone doesn't go with ones strategy, then they're blame each other:

Example. A Großer Kurfürst is going into melee brawl for the camp, while the Yamato sits on a flank for hitting broadsites.

The GK is blaming the Yamato for being a camper and for being useless (Even if the Yamato devestates everything at that position)

The Yamato blames the GK for suiciding (even if the GK destroys a ship and gets a cap)

Both are wrong. They just both followed different possible ways, which can work.

People just often don't see the big picture

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
2,398 battles
3 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Just ignore Karma. Like in every game, people often have different opinions and different strategies. If someone doesn't go with ones strategy, then they're blame each other:

Example. A Großer Kurfürst is going into melee brawl for the camp, while the Yamato sits on a flank for hitting broadsites.

The GK is blaming the Yamato for being a camper and for being useless (Even if the Yamato devestates everything at that position)

The Yamato blames the GK for suiciding (even if the GK destroys a ship and gets a cap)

Both are wrong. They just both followed different possible ways, which can work.

People just often don't see the big picture

And this shows with exemplary clarity why one shouldn't report someone solely on the basis of that person's tactical choices.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,553 posts
6,887 battles
Just now, Procrastes said:

And this shows with exemplary clarity why one shouldn't report someone solely on the basis of that person's tactical choices.

Actually I report mostly only bad behavior in chat

[TTT]
Players
1,147 posts
11,447 battles
49 minutes ago, Juanx said:

As you can see, I did address the thread topic, you on the other hand just got triggered...

:cap_hmm:

Because you did so in completely stupid way. :fish_palm:

The karma system is bad and basically useless. But apperently some people still care for their karma, so let them. Why do you have go into whole IRL thing again, why are you telling the guy to seek help? Have you even thought about how that sentence of yours sounds? Yeah it sounds horrible and i dont like when you speak to people like that and if i dont like something im gonna call it out. So deal with it.

• Cool 1

Players
339 posts
2,680 battles
8 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Actually I report mostly only bad behavior in chat

This, outside of blatantly AFK'ing or announcing your intention to suicide in chat while also following up on it.

As for compliments, I tend to use about the same number of compliments as reports, though now it's holiday it tends to be a little more reports:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
683 posts

Well, carma "doesn't matter". But I still like to get a +1.

It's the loosing carma cause someone is salty at u that is a bit irritating.

I usually only report a**holes from what they type in chat. And I try to give +1 to those that actively try/do good.

But getting +1 these days fall under a joke we run now. We call them "fake news". A littlebit dry humour never hurt.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,310 battles

It seems the best way to earn karma is to be moderately good, support a teammate, (and by that I mean always respond with "Wilco!" on their help requests, no matter how ludicrous and no matter how you can really follow it up), then end up just one or two places below that teammate on the scoring table, but still in the upper half.

The quickest way to lose karma (besides swearing and getting chatbanned) is to single-handedly turn the tide of a losing battle while in a bad team. Get Kraken+Dreadnought+Confederate, and win a battle which was almost surely lost (half the team suicided and the other half went border-patrolling)? You might get +1 karma from one teammate, while getting -2 from other teammates for "killstealing" and another -2 from the enemy for fighting unfairly (and by "unfair" I mean killing a BB by setting her on fire, then setting her on fire and/or torpedoing her after the wise player instantly used up DC one second after the very first fire). Net result on average: -3 karma.

• Funny 3

Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles

Just remove the useless karma system.... it has no purpose in the game.

Only thing it does, is give ingame trolls a system to abuse.

Examples: p0231.gif

• Get reported for saying Good luck & Have fun in chat
  • Get reported for saying Good Job (not meant sarcastic)
  • Get reported for getting hit by a "friendly" torp fired towards you from the second line of fire
  • Get reported for doing well in a battle when the player who is reporting you, died in the 1st minute
  • Get reported for giving players advice
  • Get reported by an enemy player when you kill him/her
  • Get reported by an enemy Division when you sink one or more players from that Division
  • Get reported for smoking up an ally when he/she is under fire from the enemy team
  • Get reported for not smoking up an ally when he/she is under fire from the enemy team
  • Get reported because a player has some reports left when he/she is playing his/her last battle that day
  • Get reported because someone is feeling butthurt after you replied on their whine topic on the forum(s)
  • and a lot more.......

p0201.gif

• Cool 2

Players
1,053 posts
7,988 battles

I try to use my daily 8 compliments whenever I play. I tend to use the 8 reports -- sometimes during the first 1-2 games if I'm in a crappy mood. I try to avoid bad-mouthing team mates but I really hit that "report" button hard sometimes. :Smile_veryhappy:  So for balance I try to give some compliments too.

I don't "care" about Karma, but it's nice to receive a compliment. I just hard-carried a game in my Independence (if I may be so bold), and got 4 compliments. Sure it's just anonymous people on the Internet, but it's nice to receive an acknowledgement from the people you play with. Feels nice.

I think it's more attractive to "not care about karma" if you're one of those people who's perma-locked at zero.

• Cool 1

Players
138 posts
13,517 battles

A very worthy initiative. 

Of course sadly there will always be those players who abuse the report system but on the positive side there are plenty of people who are mature enough to use the karma system sensibly. 

So I will continue do my best to compliment good play on either team where possible. As it is always pleasant to receive a compliment. 

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,310 battles

Hm, you know what the karma reward is for pushing aggressively, (getting Dreadnought and Fireproof at the end), then with the little HP left retreating back behind an island to heal? "EVERYONE REPORT THAT CAMPER!"

Beta Tester
3,963 posts
14,675 battles

After the first couple games there's no compliment option left, due to all the reports done because of afk teamkilling brainless potatoes met already...

Aaaand... all who consider karma important should learn how to play well then... but not too well, else they get reported too by angry losers...

• Funny 2

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,310 battles
23 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

but not too well, else they get reported too by angry losers...

... and by your teammates for killstealing. Because if they fire a full broadside from maximum range and do a single overpen, then the target is marked and it's "theirs", even if they stay at their campsite the entire rest of the battle. If you later engage that ship in close combat and sink her, you're a killstealer.

• Cool 2

Players
1,107 posts
8,552 battles

I always compliment a good player and if I run out of Karma to give I usually message in port... Karma is so overrated.. another way for hyper sensitive players to feel good about themselves...maybe.

I did however experience the negative yesterday for killing enemy division clan members (2) in my FDG which resulted in -5 Karma... 2 clan members on each team, so I must have had -2 from my own team same clan, and another guy in the same game who told me what I could do with myself after I sank him with a single salvo... what he suggested is physically impossible... I think... I hope. :Smile_sad: