Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dirty_Dunc

Is the tier 8 Monarch just rubbish ?

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
76 posts
10,789 battles

I'm grinding through the Monarch at the moment and to me she feels lacklustre to say the least.   In fact in my opinion she's the worst tier 8 Battleships out there.

 

Whilst she maneuvers well, I find her guns anaemic with lousy dispersion.  For the most I part, I just end up shooting HE because the AP seems ineffective against most at anything other than cruisers or maybe a broadside battleship maybe at point blank range. 

 

Her range is awful at only 18.1k which is low when your finding yourself in tier 10 games where cruisers are outranging you.

 

Whilst I regularly get around  100k damage in games ... it's mainly fire damage with only only the occasional deletion .. it just feels ineffective.

 

Put it this way ... if I see a Monarch coming my way .. I rub my hands together and think 'free lunch'

  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles

I should start betting pools on whether there'll be a second thread today or whether it'll be tomorrow, how long it'll be till second thread and what topic the spam will be about. Honestly, even if you had a point, the simple matter of the fact at this point is...

28 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

 In fact in my opinion...

After the amount of whining about all kinds of pointless crap, noone cares about your opinion.

 

Not that I expect you to ever get back to this thread, but if you'd actually make sensible contributions to the forums for a few weeks and posted your complaints in areas where they belong (for this one, here), maybe people could be bothered to actually consider your opinion. Not that I think you care...

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
76 posts
10,789 battles

In all all honesty ... I really don't care what you think ... this is for Wargaming's records ;)

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,004 posts
5,968 battles
5 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

In all all honesty ... I really don't care what you think ... this is for Wargaming's records ;)

We have a guy at work who is incapable of working anything (computers, phones, printers, coffee machines).

Of course despite the fact that everyone else is fine using them he overlooks, and constantly blames, the item in question - calling it stupid, useless, badly designed etc.

 

 

Guess how seriously everyone else takes his "feedback"

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
178 posts
9,232 battles

Actually i really like it, everybody say its bad and i on first match haved 248k, they say bad ap, on that match i haved 2cit on 10km Montana and one cit on DM from 16km. For me both shells type are awsome, overall this cant be worst tier8 with that guns and that concelment, i always would take this instead bismark.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-VIS-]
[-VIS-]
Players
264 posts
3,945 battles
1 ora fa, Dirty_Dunc ha scritto:

In all all honesty ... I really don't care what you think ... this is for Wargaming's records ;)

 

Fortunately WG don’t care what you think ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,681 posts
2,941 battles
1 hour ago, Yamato942 said:

Actually i really like it, everybody say its bad and i on first match haved 248k, they say bad ap, on that match i haved 2cit on 10km Montana and one cit on DM from 16km. For me both shells type are awsome, overall this cant be worst tier8 with that guns and that concelment, i always would take this instead bismark.

Same here. A relief after King Grog the Filth. The only thing is range and dispersion. But if it had those too, it would be OP MURDER.

 

What I do is I deliver 'oh crap a BB' moments near caps, due to the concealment.

That would be even worse if it could actually shoot straight, but hey. 

And I farm some damage on Currywursts, Fat Freddys and Yamasashis. 

 

Maybe I should do more farming because somebody asked how I could have 50+ WR with that low damage.

Well easy... spanking a DD usually gives 1000-2500 per salvo, roasting a Currywurst gives 20k if he leaves ONE fire burn out.

Whacking that DD (usually no kill) is a lot more risky than smoking up a Fat Freddy but hey, it does help win the game a lot more.

Or, while you're near the cap anyway, load the AP and blast some cruisers... usually can't insta-delete them but still helpful.

 

2 hours ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

Put it this way ... if I see a Monarch coming my way .. I rub my hands together and think 'free lunch'

You'll not see it coming.... :Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles
5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Same here. A relief after King Grog the Filth. The only thing is range and dispersion. But if it had those too, it would be OP MURDER.

It also lacks armour. 32 mm plating everywhere. Nothing more fun to farm than that. Similarly, I never tried it, but as it shares armour scheme with KGV, just with 32 mm sections instead of 25 mm, it should be quite possible to bow-on citadel the ship with Yamato or Musashi and even if it angles, you just overmatch the upper belt on the sides for a good chunk of their not so great hp pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WASP_]
Players
184 posts
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I should start betting pools on whether there'll be a second thread today or whether it'll be tomorrow, how long it'll be till second thread and what topic the spam will be about. Honestly, even if you had a point, the simple matter of the fact at this point is...

After the amount of whining about all kinds of pointless crap, noone cares about your opinion.

 

Not that I expect you to ever get back to this thread, but if you'd actually make sensible contributions to the forums for a few weeks and posted your complaints in areas where they belong (for this one, here), maybe people could be bothered to actually consider your opinion. Not that I think you care...

You do know your not compelled to actually post if you don't want to.Equally nobody actually care's that you don't care. For the record I agree with OP, the Monarch arguably is one of the worst tier 8 BB's around. Oh and don't worry about people making sensible contributions to the forums thats the moderators job.  

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Free hint: its not the Monarch...

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles
3 hours ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

In fact in my opinion she's the worst tier 7 Battleships out there.

Ftfy

 

Monarch is as pure as garbage comes in this game. I know no other ship that's so bad tier-for tier, not even the current Lexington.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,681 posts
2,941 battles
42 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It also lacks armour. 32 mm plating everywhere. Nothing more fun to farm than that. Similarly, I never tried it, but as it shares armour scheme with KGV, just with 32 mm sections instead of 25 mm, it should be quite possible to bow-on citadel the ship with Yamato or Musashi and even if it angles, you just overmatch the upper belt on the sides for a good chunk of their not so great hp pool.

Yeah, you can citadel it from the front in Yamato (and Yamasashi can pen it anywhere unless you angle angle).

Other BBs cannot do it, and more important, cruisers can't either. 

However it seems better than KGV somehow, I guess that 7mm does a lot when angled.

Freddy/Currywurst can usually forget it, so can other BBs. HE is also not quite as bad as in KGV.

Getting attacked by 2 HE-spammers usually gives SOME pen but mostly fire (and it can heal that better than KGV).

 

However... if you shoot from ~12km, shoot when you are already "going"... they almost have NO CHANCE to return the shots.

But then you'll certainly hit good, no matter HE or AP. Beyond 15km is a gamble... which only pays off with HE.

So certainly DO shoot at the Freddy/Curry/Yamasashi from far away with HE... yummie. 

 

Probably I am doing it too careful though, as usually I survive the battle without even having used all the heal. 

Then again - most battles are kinda T9/10 ROFLSTOMPS ending in 5 minutes, what can I do about it, and what can I do in 5 minutes...

If the game lasts longer I can put easily well into 100k damage. But I think I help to win, if such a thing is possible. 

 

897636211_SoloWRRNBB.thumb.JPG.fbb9677ee7b1fb2a306fe8d4e77e7945.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
18 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Ftfy

 

Monarch is as pure as garbage comes in this game. I know no other ship that's so bad tier-for tier, not even the current Lexington.

 

 

Not even the Nelson? mind you i am still finding my feet with this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Freddy/Currywurst can usually forget it, so can other BBs. HE is also not quite as bad as in KGV.

Yeah, I select your Monarch as secondary target and forget about it. I'll just wait for my CQE after a minute or so.

4 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Not even the Nelson? mind you i am still finding my feet with this one.

Nelson is among the best T7 BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Monarch is meh but looking back I feel like I enjoyed it more than the Vanguard now...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
18 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Yeah, I select your Monarch as secondary target and forget about it. I'll just wait for my CQE after a minute or so.

Nelson is among the best T7 BBs.

Actually yeah it isn't bad seem to do better in co op battles more then random ones but I get the feeling co ops is like riding bikes with stablisers, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles
1 minute ago, NoobySkooby said:

Actually yeah it isn't bad seem to do better in co op battles more then random ones but I get the feeling co ops is like riding bikes with stablisers, lol

It is. Also, coop is painfully easy to do decent in Nelson. Just always stay angled. Bots alwys aim at centre of mass, so if even if they could overmatch your bow, as long as centre of mass is behind the belt, they'll shoot the belt. This helps a lot in staying alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,219 posts
7,806 battles

Monarch is not bad, is just a (very) boring ship to play (look, like the following RN BB's  :cap_old:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,144 posts
245 battles

Well i hope i can do better in it than the king george.

 

besides the health pool and the gun caliber what exactly pools down the performance off this ship in general? Since this will be my first tier 8 bb, i dont want to be too useless when i first get into it.

 

that and get a higher winrate with my martel think its at 30% lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
491 posts
2,660 battles

How do the Brit BB's stack up against the American BB's, I guess the Iowa is the jewel in the Americans crown, not as I really know anything, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles
4 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Well i hope i can do better in it than the king george.

 

besides the health pool and the gun caliber what exactly pools down the performance off this ship in general? Since this will be my first tier 8 bb, i dont want to be too useless when i first get into it.

 

that and get a higher winrate with my martel think its at 30% lmao.

Imo, if you expect better performance than KGV from Monarch, you might want to first spend more time in KGV. Monarch is basically a repeat of the design, with a return to QE guns and the 32 mm plating that comes with T8. Monarch can finally bow-tank other BBs except Yamato and Musashi. Monarch will eat lots of damage from HE though, it is soft against AP that doesn't bounce and while the gunnery was ok at T6, at T8 it kinda is meh. Monarch does have a good concealment though, so you can try abuse that, but overall, being in a slow ship that has no HE resistance is bound to be frustrating at high tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,681 posts
2,941 battles
3 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Yeah, I select your Monarch as secondary target and forget about it. I'll just wait for my CQE after a minute or so.

You'd be remembered, best not to forget... when I set you on (perma)fire from ~15km... gain... (your secondaries do not reach there Currywurst),

and then disappear into stealth again (or fire from behind an island and never get detected anyway). 

 

So far the big BBs never give me much trouble, usually the cruisers are. 

And the DDs, as I go hunting for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×