Sign in to follow this  
NoobySkooby

Discord vs Teamspeak.

29 comments in this topic

Question

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles

Now i don't know about you guys but when people say to me Discord is easier than Team speak, I usually end up punching walls, because for me it is the most annoying irriataing thing out, TS is easy compared to this.

So much so I am about to quit ac clan due to this, if only I could figure out how to leave the damn clan.

Now I have bent over backwards trying to accommodate those who wish for Discord, yet I find it a one way street, no one goes to download TS, I think fair is fair, if I am prepared to download and try Discord, people should at least be willing to do the same for TS.

What is your preference and why?

28 answers to this question

[SCRUB]
Players
980 posts
7,923 battles

Both are fine, though some pointers. 

It's far easier to set up your own Discord Server than it is a TS Server. 

Discord is much easier to use and organize to share non voice communication data. 

I personally do not notice any quality difference between the two. 

I find neither one to be better or easier to navigate personally. 

About all I can offer. I favour Discord only because like I said, it's just easier to use and share news on for me. 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles

I hate the Discord UI. Never could get comfy with it.

Then again I pretty much "grew up" with TS so I am most likely biased.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles

So ... basically its just a personal preference.

Discord for me is an IRC with voice option, while TS is pure voice (rarely used as chat, maybe for some url pasting) "hit and run" app.

Guess "hit and run" makes it popular, while people tend to think DS is complicated (mostly those who have not tried it yet).

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,129 posts
17,731 battles

Discord eats up a lot of resources and pops up everytime you open the computer. So it s worse. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles
7 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Discord eats up a lot of resources and pops up everytime you open the computer. So it s worse. 

Erm... every program can be removed from the startup. And about the resources... you would only notice that on a low-end pc.

You cant say its worse because of that. For instance: Scrubs use both. While DS servers can handle large amount of users, TS has issues when there are many users on. Of course it depends on where the server is hosted, but regarding performance DS is way more stable.

Yet still most users prefer to use TS, just because they are used to it and dont see the need (or better put: awoid) to migrate to DS.

I use both. But DS is more idle than not.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
456 posts
11,457 battles

I prefer Discord. It's much easier to use, share stuff and communicate with others. Also, anyone can set it up and moderate it, it's that simple. 

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,013 posts
7,380 battles
3 hours ago, 22cm said:

You do know that Discord has, as many other programmes too, options to disable the mentioned popups?

[SHEN]
Moderator, Moderator
1,181 posts
9,937 battles

Discord is a TS/WhatsApp Hybrid

Very cool tool for exchange info/news and speak (Available on Smartphone)

TS is the speak tool mosttly, less bandwith and CPU usage.

If you want a tool for speak, exchange and more => go Discord

If you want a tool for speak only => go TS (or Mumble)

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
3 hours ago, nambr9 said:

You cant say its worse because of that.

Yes you can. Some us do play on older computers. Which works flawlessly unless you run a lot of programs in the background. Horrible UI aside, WoWs is designed to run on somewhat old computers.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,319 posts
6,870 battles

Discord essentially works as a small forum with audio options. For that alone it's far better than TS IMO. It's far better to create a good "atmosphere" between clans members and to integrate a newbie with Discord. Also channels where only the administrator/moderator/staff can write makes it interesting for giving out news or announcements.

TS is better when you want better audio options and when you don't wanna eat to much ressources. Ideally you should have both Discord and TS.

• Cool 1

Players
3,230 posts
7,373 battles
5 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Now i don't know about you guys but when people say to me Discord is easier than Team speak, I usually end up punching walls, because for me it is the most annoying irriataing thing out, TS is easy compared to this.

So much so I am about to quit ac clan due to this, if only I could figure out how to leave the damn clan.

Now I have bent over backwards trying to accommodate those who wish for Discord, yet I find it a one way street, no one goes to download TS, I think fair is fair, if I am prepared to download and try Discord, people should at least be willing to do the same for TS.

Team speak.

Discord seems like a mess compared to the simplicity that teamspeak is.

Tho atm I don't use either, tbh.

Players
1,144 posts
245 battles

I have discord and ts but dont use either due to the lack of a microphone atm. I have no preference for either software.

why doesnt anyone use the in game voice thing anyways?

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,096 posts
7,621 battles

Personally prefer TS for voice comms and Discord for chatting.

4 hours ago, nambr9 said:

TS has issues when there are many users on. Of course it depends on where the server is hosted, but regarding performance DS is way more stable.

I guess it also has something to do with the overall resources(/size)? Scrub TS does start to wonk up when there is many people on, while at the same time WoWS TS is just fine with even more people on.

Spoiler

Loren need to upgrade the TS server:Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles

You guys forget that TS is just a voice client, while DS is much more (advanced GUI, PM chat, emoticons, link sharing, image previews ...).

Of course its gonna get higher RAM/CPU usage.

Also TS interface is written in Native C++ and has very "spartan" GUI that in the end results in lower resource usage.

I use dark theme just to make it look nicer.

Spoiler

It all comes down what you need.

Do you need a social HUB for your clan? Go with DS.

You need only voice chat and are fine with WoWS public server? Go with TS then.

Here is a comparison table:

https://discordhelp.net/discord-vs-teamspeak

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles
14 minutes ago, WolfGewehr said:

Personally prefer TS for voice comms and Discord for chatting.

I guess it also has something to do with the overall resources(/size)? Scrub TS does start to wonk up when there is many people on, while at the same time WoWS TS is just fine with even more people on.

Reveal hidden contents

Loren need to upgrade the TS server:Smile-_tongue:

Well ... you cant compare SCRUB TS (self hosted) with WoWS TS :)

The bottom line is (even in SCRUBs) that people just dont want to migrate to DS and manage yet another application on their computer - which I do understand completely.

• Cool 1

[HALON]
Players
572 posts
8,678 battles
6 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

I personally like discord more. I made the move from teamspeak time ago ( new clan used discord only ) and after some time i find it a much better tool. Audio communication quality and features are similar to team speak, but it gives much more than that. You have the equivalent of a private forum. You have embedded videos and much more.

If you install the client you have even pop up notifications and in game overlay, and these 2 things are great for clans.

Only think i don't like is that teamspeak is a private software than you can run from one host you own, while discord is not, but that's the way things works today unluckily for the users.

Players
8 posts

Hello captains,

Thread was moved as it wasn't in the appropriate area of the forum. Please try to write your posts and threads always in the correct forum sections.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards, 

Jenny001

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
59 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Well ... you cant compare SCRUB TS (self hosted) with WoWS TS :)

The bottom line is (even in SCRUBs) that people just dont want to migrate to DS and manage yet another application on their computer - which I do understand completely.

WoW's TS, really, never heard of it, lol

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
Just now, Jenny001 said:

Hello captains,

Thread was moved as it wasn't in the appropriate area of the forum. Please try to write your posts and threads always in the correct forum sections.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards, 

Jenny001

Sorry newbie here I know not what I do

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles

Well I always get to pull my hair out with Discord, TS works just fine for me, as for finding people and clans Discord whatever, it is just a nightmare to use.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,922 battles
3 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

WoW's TS, really, never heard of it, lol

I believe the address is 92.223.3.90:9989. I cannot check on this computer at the moment.

Players
491 posts
2,660 battles
6 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I believe the address is 92.223.3.90:9989. I cannot check on this computer at the moment.

OK thank you I will check that out later

[NL-UK]
Players
18 posts
1,694 battles

I have to say, I had similar feelings left and right about resources, popups and everything when I moved to use discord about three years ago, building one of the communities I worked in. It was funny how people didn’t want to join the server ”ooh, a malicious gg link I see, eg. all this stuff”: but the people we got in really started to like the functions and we didn’t need to build a forum

I have nothing against ts, I hang in there if someone invites me, but I just have to go with discord. If my computer can’t handle the load from discord, I’ll just upgrade my PC or something (However understanding why the resource issue is real for low-budget gamers.)

IRC, mumble, ts, discord, skype, all just different with there nice little features for chatting, but for a community it’s discord or ts + forums pretty much (for a player perpective that’s fine, but that’s a true money saver.)

edit: + discord for mobile devices was developed for even lower ios (dont know about android) versions where ts was only for limited new ones.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles
56 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Well I always get to pull my hair out with Discord, TS works just fine for me, as for finding people and clans Discord whatever, it is just a nightmare to use.

TS is like an old phone. Works great for what its supposed to do. Calling.

Then you have Discord. Also great at what it does. But it does so much more and tbh its not fair comparing the two. A bit like comparing these two. 

152154364.jpg.353bf200d30599699877d32cb6deb9b8.jpg

iphone-x-54.thumb.jpg.a9aea47e2c627bfd268b353ef305f531.jpg

2 hours ago, AnotherDuck said:

Yes you can. Some us do play on older computers. Which works flawlessly unless you run a lot of programs in the background. Horrible UI aside, WoWs is designed to run on somewhat old computers.

If your PC looks like this, you you might struggle with Discord. 

potato_pc.jpg.52131e40e85c7a8486737a976f6c6f68.jpg

Also time for an upgrade maybe? 

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
5 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

Also time for an upgrade maybe? 

Sure. Want to send me the money?

Sign in to follow this