You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Quetak

watch your back Yamatos

26 comments in this topic

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles

in past month I got in to two situations when I needed to turn with Yamato and show aft to enemy BB (ramming danger) with island between us so no danger of citadel in turn. But when enemy showed from behind island I got huge damage just right to my aft. I was curious so today I went to training room with Jean Bart (380mm guns - no 32mm overmatch) against all 5 T10 BB bots. You can guess which only BB is possible to citadel right from back....

Two full salvos to each BB from around 2km to aft. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.79ad9522e638da3c23f8632bdea4e42c.png

shot-19_01.02_22_03.53-0955.thumb.jpg.586c801193bb08f6b2ea5af147fb66e8.jpg

Even from 5km range...

Spoiler

shot-19_01.02_22_49.43-0410.thumb.jpg.2a8177dac1b0775c978adbe64d85198e.jpg

Before JB I tryied Montana but no screenshots from this test. First salvo to Yamy for 70k with 4 citadels (good RNG and dev.strike is possible). Other fresh not saturated BBs got from Monty about 20-30k based on penetration proc without single citadel. All from about 1,8-2,2km distance.

Its quite sad that with Yamato only way to not get citadeled is to be heavy bow in, even aft armor cant save you like other BBs. 

So watch you back Yamatos, even damn Tirpitz can citadel you through your [edited].... :cap_horn::Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
5 minutes ago, Quetak said:

Its quite sad that with Yamato only way to not get citadeled is to be heavy bow in, even aft armor cant save you like other BBs. 

So, after over 15k games, you just noticed that? :cap_fainting:

• Funny 8

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
4 minutes ago, Juanx said:

So, after over 15k games, you just noticed that? :cap_fainting:

you knew you can do it with 380mm from 5km maybe more when you can bow tank them with some cruisers? Im usualy bow tanking and usualy shooting boardsides so....yea I didnt know that. There is always something you dont know ;)

Weekend Tester
612 posts
46 minutes ago, Quetak said:

you knew you can do it with 380mm from 5km maybe more when you can bow tank them with some cruisers? Im usualy bow tanking and usualy shooting boardsides so....yea I didnt know that. There is always something you dont know ;)

It's just a matter of observing the armor scheme. A big flat hanger. Range doesn't really matter, but penetration and a healthy dose of luck.

For your next trick, citadel high tier USN BBs with 380mm guns through the tip of the bow ( yes it's possible).

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
5 minutes ago, _ramrus_ said:

It's just a matter of observing the armor scheme. A big flat hanger. Range doesn't really matter. but penetration and a healthy dose of luck.

For your next trick, citadel high tier USN BBs with 380mm guns through the tip of the bow ( yes it's possible).

from what I saw its not about luck, on 2km every salvo is 1+ citadel. That US bow I saw some screens in past but its lot about luck to hit it. Yamato back citadel is very reliable in comparison.   

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles

It semms like everyone knows it...but when I try to google it...nothing. In any Yamato guide no single word about it... I saw many videos and no one ever mentioned this weakness. Everywhere is just - dont show your weak spot under turrets or boardside, but "dont show your aft to BB"? Nope. 

Dont tell me that everyone is checking armor schemes and see such thing.

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
597 posts
3,341 battles

Because its flat. The reason you cant shoot through the bow is because auto bounce.

It is the same reason Stalingrad can shoot through the bow of a Zao, because it is flat enough.

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
6 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Because its flat. The reason you cant shoot through the bow is because auto bounce.

It is the same reason Stalingrad can shoot through the bow of a Zao, because it is flat enough.

All BBs afts are somehow flat, more or less, but only Yamy got citadels through it. Pens for 20k ok, but multiple citadels is quite silly. 

Its actualy 3rd boardside :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
607 posts
9 minutes ago, Quetak said:

Dont tell me that everyone is checking armor schemes and see such thing.

Well, there are lots of nerds here who actually would. :Smile_veryhappy:

Myself excluded of course...

• Funny 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
8 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Well, there are lots of nerds here who actually would. :Smile_veryhappy:

Myself excluded of course...

im included, but such teorycrafting I will let to others. 

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

Almost all of the time in Yamato you're either bow-in or show an angled broadside. If people try to approach you, you just back slowly away and chew up their hulls with little they can do about it.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,005 posts
5,981 battles

I didnt know it either. Conversely I dont spend a huge amount of time with my AFT towards people in the yamato, but interesting nonetheless

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
1,235 battles

Dude you better never look a Iowa. Rear citadel has overwhelming 19 mm of "armor"...

Learned it the hard way... Ouch

[BGBRD]
Players
322 posts
9,590 battles
13 hours ago, Quetak said:

So watch you back Yamatos, even damn Moskva can citadel you through your [edited].... :cap_horn::Smile_honoring:

FIFY

• Angry 1

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
942 posts
4,306 battles
13 hours ago, Quetak said:

which only BB is possible to citadel right from back....

Fairly sure yama is not the only BB. You should be able to do with conq as well, that has a flatter arse than a 40kg girl.

• Funny 2

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
6 minutes ago, OTECa1 said:

FIFY

noooo :Smile_amazed:....I tryied only DM from cruisers - unable to do it, too slow shells I guess.

2 minutes ago, Lord_WC said:

Fairly sure yama is not the only BB. You should be able to do with conq as well, that has a flatter arse than a 40kg girl.

yea Conq has very nice flat aft, but you will not reach citadel - at least as I tryied few salvos. All BBs get pens to aft, maybe with some chance on random citadel,  but only Yama got citadels with every salvo, thats difference.  

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
942 posts
4,306 battles
12 minutes ago, Quetak said:

yea Conq has very nice flat aft, but you will not reach citadel - at least as I tryied few salvos. All BBs get pens to aft, maybe with some chance on random citadel,  but only Yama got citadels with every salvo, thats difference.  

How long ago did you try it? Conq had its citadel increased a bit, now you can citadel them from broadside also.

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_WC said:

How long ago did you try it? Conq had its citadel increased a bit, now you can citadel them from broadside also.

hmmm, yesterday... :Smile_Default:

Its possible that I was shooting too high to reach it

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles

Nothing unusual there, most ships' aft are not nearly as aggressively angled as their bows are, meaning there's plenty chance that a shell hitting those bulbous hulls isn't impacting at an autobounce angles, at which point you got only 32mm of armour which most ships will punch through easily and in case of your Yamato you got your typical Yamato citadel right behind that, cue sitaderu.

The RN ships in particular are prime targets when they try to angled arse in since their afts are nearly perfectly flat targets.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
28 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Nothing unusual there, most ships' aft are not nearly as aggressively angled as their bows are, meaning there's plenty chance that a shell hitting those bulbous hulls isn't impacting at an autobounce angles, at which point you got only 32mm of armour which most ships will punch through easily and in case of your Yamato you got your typical Yamato citadel right behind that, cue sitaderu.

The RN ships in particular are prime targets when they try to angled arse in since their afts are nearly perfectly flat targets.

I understand mechanic why is that. Im just wondering that I never hear about it, nowhere, from no one, ever. With so many videos I saw and how much topics I read on forum its strange. There are many Yamato guides how to play ship and everyone is mentioning only octagon weakness or boardside as danger. 

Im also excited that this game can still suprise me with something "new" after so many games.    

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,424 posts
9,420 battles

On another note, I know absolutely NOTHING about any armour values, I only play the ships for ships and am quite happily ignorant of any technical details. I am, however, grateful to the OP for sharing this easy-to-understand info that my Yamato can be citadelled from the rear. I'm not really a rear-end kind of guy, but every now and then I like to turn tail and run, so good to know.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles

This is present since testing. Nothing new. 

[IDDQD]
Players
1,785 posts
16,226 battles
34 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

This is present since testing. Nothing new. 

its good that such well known info is easy to find, everyone knows it but no one is talking about it  :cap_old:

public secret

Im glad that at least for few ppl its new like for me and they can improve their play a little bit. 

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles
58 minutes ago, Quetak said:

its good that such well known info is easy to find, everyone knows it but no one is talking about it  :cap_old:

public secret

Im glad that at least for few ppl its new like for me and they can improve their play a little bit. 

Well most of us found it out on a hard way, like ye :Smile_trollface: At least I did. 

• Cool 1