Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Finnster

Optimal build and ship for John Doe is what again?

26 comments in this topic

Players
1,053 posts
7,988 battles

I have him in the ... Pensacola, of all things. 

What you want is a ship with (A) sluggish turrets and (B) really benefits of Expert MarksmanLoader. The Pepsicola is really the poster girl here, with massive AP and HE salvos, but slow reload (15 s) -- getting that ammo switch down to 3.5'ish is a game-changer.

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
8 minutes ago, jss78 said:

I have him in the ... Pensacola, of all things. 

What you want is a ship with (A) sluggish turrets and (B) really benefits of Expert Marksman. The Pepsicola is really the poster girl here, with massive AP and HE salvos, but slow reload (15 s) -- getting that ammo switch down to 3.5'ish is a game-changer.

You mean (B) Expert Loader, as EM is already (A)?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
6,248 battles

I have him on DM for now untill i get Monty, the EL perk comes in handy and DM's AP is quite devastating. :Smile_honoring:

[4_0_4]
Players
5,067 posts
11,210 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Montana, both for Randoms and CB:

Surprised to see no AR :cap_hmm:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
19 hours ago, Zemeritt said:

Surprised to see no AR :cap_hmm:

16 hours ago, Lord_Holland_of_Wessex said:

Just thinking the same

Single good hit trumps many weak ones. I'm perfectly fine waiting for a better shot opportunity after reloading rather than bouncing on someones bow, so I generally I have no reason to pick some kind of reload accelerators like AR.

Even without EL and Double Floatplanes I'd have JoaT instead of AR. At least on BBs.

• Cool 2

Players
241 posts
10,200 battles
22 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Single good hit trumps many weak ones. I'm perfectly fine waiting for a better shot opportunity after reloading rather than bouncing on someones bow, so I generally I have no reason to pick some kind of reload accelerators like AR.

Even without EL and Double Floatplanes I'd have JoaT instead of AR. At least on BBs.

Thanks for the answer, I have too pondered weather AR is always an auto take on battleships

[4_0_4]
Players
5,067 posts
11,210 battles
30 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Understandable. I've made different experience, but thats to be expected.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I use John Doe pretty much exclusively on Missouri. Haven't played any BBs or CAs at all on the US lines.

AR is still pretty much an auto pick on just about all ships that don't need LS. It's just so insanely good. Sure, a single good hit trumps many weak ones, but many good hits trump a single weak one by far. Waiting doesn't always give you better shots.

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
37 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

I use John Doe pretty much exclusively on Missouri. Haven't played any BBs or CAs at all on the US lines.

John Doe is a super captain for all the higher tier US ships. Have him also on Missouri. At the same time, using him on Salem, Indianapolis and currently New Mexico (somewhat grinding the line^^).

47 minutes ago, Lord_Holland_of_Wessex said:

Thanks for the answer, I have too pondered weather AR is always an auto take on battleships

Meh IMO its not. It is really debatable if there is a true gain in that anyway small buff. Going for a survivability build, especially in these days with the Meta, is much more stronger. If you are using FP and BoS, like @wilkatis_LV does, you can pretty much laugh about HE-spammers. But it depends a lot on your playstyle and the BB. IJN like Musashi - Yamato: im going full survivability. RN BB however - AR is nice. They have the concealment and when you spam HE, those extra seconds can convert into nice DoT. But yea, there is no right or wrong here. Personal preference.

Players
25 posts
6,877 battles

Well, AR is definitely better on HE spammers so brit BBs would benefit more from it, with AP it's always about that big salvo which devastates.

but id still just remove second plane and preventive maintnence for AR I think. Ill think about it when I get to montana (so far on Colorado, not really a BB fan :P)

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

RN BB however - AR is nice. (..) when you spam HE

This. If you are mainly using HE then AR is always a buff. HE doesn't care about the enemies angle like AP does, HE won't get better just because you are shooting at a broadside.

So if you're misplaying RN BBs it's a really good pick :Smile_trollface:

30 minutes ago, Viravandrel said:

id still just remove second plane and preventive maintnence for AR I think.

That 2nd plane is actually a core part of my build

Note the Spotter Mod in 1st upgrade slot. This extends the max duration of the spotter from 100s to 130s. And no, that's not for range. You nearly never want to use it for range, especially on Montana. They might remove the range increase and I'd still keep this build exactly as it is.

What you want from that plane is elevated view, elevated view, spotting capabilities and elevated view. Did I mention elevated view?

Lets start with the easy one - spotting. Being able to spot around islands, is a massive plus, obviously. You're not blind as a bat just because there's something in your way. But that's not quite it, at least not the full story. You know how it's said "all planes see 11km"? Wiki, how it works, so on... Ha, wrong. Floatplane spotters see 15km. Why is this important you might ask? Plane orbits you at 4.2km distance, and lets pick a stealthy ship... Conq. It has 12.1km air-detection range. Do the maths of 12.1 + 4.2 and you get the ability to spot a ship with 11.8km concealment out to 16.3km. Hell, that spotter plane will spot Conq before you for about 53% of its flight circle. And now put that as 2 of them in the air. Hello permaspotting. Basically this removes any stealth advantage enemy BBs could have. Sometimes even screws over CAs. And random torp spotting doesn't hurt either.

Then there's the elevated view. Montana's amazing for shooting over islands. But when you don't see the target... a bit hard to get a really well aimed shot in. Meanwhile if your view is elevated and you see over that island... Problem solved. And then it's even better when an enemy is in smoke & keeps firing. Getting the correct height is usually the problem, especially since at range even slight movement of mouse can change your aimpoints distance by over a km. And you solve this by getting that elevated view thus reducing your "vertical" aim sensitivity, and gaining the simple ability to just aim between the tracers.

I'm sure you can see how it would be annoying to lose your spotter in both of these cases - having 2x spotters effectively doubles their survivability. And even if there is an AA ship in one direction - the other plane is going in the other one. And the speed penalty means it'll reach that same AA ship way later than it normally would.

The only thing I wish for was the ability to switch between the views, can be a bit tricky to aim at a DD at close ranges if your spotters are up in the air.

And since EL is actually good on John Doe + I'm picking double planes, with my build I had just 1 spare point left. Nothing to pick apart from PT / PM, and that comes down to whichever of those 2 you prefer.

Speaking of double planes, @MrConway I remember asking you about why in the reworked skill preview (quite a while back) the double aircraft was listed as "for floatplane fighters only", to which you said you'll ask the devs. Never saw the answer (might have just missed it), and I haven't been on the PTS (in case it has changed to spotters being included again) so I'll just ask here if you can give us any hints towards what's up with that?

• Cool 4

Players
25 posts
6,877 battles

well, your reasoning is so good i don't see any point in going back to AR again. I actually thought about abusing spotter plane, lately many people are invisible camping behind the island and there is no other way to shoot them. Smoke included as well.

About RN BBs, im only on Queen Elisabeth and in no way an expert (im mainly cruiser/dd commander) so good climb until I get to high tier. Your comment dont offend me at all, you most likely are right anyway :)

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,646 posts
2,413 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 9:26 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

Speaking of double planes, @MrConway I remember asking you about why in the reworked skill preview (quite a while back) the double aircraft was listed as "for floatplane fighters only", to which you said you'll ask the devs. Never saw the answer (might have just missed it), and I haven't been on the PTS (in case it has changed to spotters being included again) so I'll just ask here if you can give us any hints towards what's up with that?

With the rework spotter planes and fighters work completely differently, so the direction center no longer affects the spotter planes.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles

I use John Doe on my Des Moines.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,387 posts
18,974 battles
29 minutes ago, lup3s said:

I use John Doe on my Des Moines.

get halsey scrub :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
44 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

get halsey scrub :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

Halsey is on my Montana :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
On 1/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, MrConway said:

With the rework spotter planes and fighters work completely differently, so the direction center no longer affects the spotter planes.

Since there's nothing out there as to how have spotters changed - could you enlighten us?

Spent a few hours this morning trying to figure out that "complete change", and all I came up with was:

• Possibly faster, but that seems to be a global thing for aircraft right now
  • Much smaller flight radius, 2 examples:
    • Kongo 4.2km current vs 3km PTS
    • Montana 4.2km current vs 1.2km PTS
      • In this case plane actually goes further while taking off (something like 1.7km from the ship) and then needs to come back to the 1.2km point to start its patrol
  • Previous point is compensated by increased view range
    • Currently it's 15km
      • LoS not required
    • On PTS it's at least 15.7km, possibly more
      • *Did not directly test if LoS is now required, suspect that it is*

This is nothing but slight balancing tweaks to their numbers, not some kind of massive change / complete rework.

And my point of "I don''t want my spotter to be shot down before its already short duration runs out so I run 2 of them effectively doubling its survivability" still stands, that's exactly why the skill needs to affect them too :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,387 posts
18,974 battles
On 1/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, lup3s said:

Halsey is on my Montana :cap_haloween:

i just got it the other way round coz of guessing that the specials are probably more easily achievable with dm's rof :Smile_child:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
4 hours ago, MrWastee said:

i just got it the other way round coz of guessing that the specials are probably more easily achievable with dm's rof :Smile_child:

Only reason why I still doubt to switch them .. but the reload reduction on the Montana is far superior than DM imo

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,387 posts
18,974 battles
1 hour ago, lup3s said:

Only reason why I still doubt to switch them .. but the reload reduction on the Montana is far superior than DM imo

they share the same EL, so -75% reduction on both of em

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
On 1/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, MrWastee said:

they share the same EL, so -75% reduction on both of em

I meant the one you get with the Confederate achievement

Sign in to follow this