Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

CV gameplay from a CL player's point of view, first impressions

9 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
1,704 posts
6,682 battles

So, I'm a Cruiser main and I ranted so much about cvs that I lose count.

Finally started cvs this is my second day, (I'm lining up for the new cv gameplay.)

Langley is awesome, Hosho not so much.

Normally if the team just give me enough time to shoot down theirs fighters (they never give), the rest is easy, I can go after the Bombers at will.

Langley:

The fighters have ammunition for almost entire game, shooting down planes, left and right and this feels so terrible good. They scout at will right at the start, seek the other fighters, killed them, next are the bombers, Done, Job's done. (and I noticed the number of surviving members of my team increased as I was shooting more and more planes from game to game) 

feels.jpg.0da2178f8a4a4af970df64b479682c23.jpg

For me,  damage, it's a afterthought, a thing to be entertained until the game's end.

Bouge:

It's not a bad ship, exactly the same thing as Langley, as I was playing it I couldn't understood the bad critics it receives in this forum, the only thing is the AA on the ships are better so your casualties are higher and you have to be more careful where are you sending your planes, and more important through where. Not as the Langley that's more and literally just go for it.

The Bombers are more competent. especially the Dive bombers

Hosho:

I can see the potential but meh.

fighters are worse, less in a wave but more waves, with much less ammunition and weaker.

In this line the damage dealt is much higher, double or triple of the other line   because you have two TB squadrons instead of one. But they are Awful when compared with their counterparts.

Auto drop suck balls, big time, for either one but the IJN bombers drop further way from the target, I just dropped three waves in a cv and I didn't landed one torp.:cap_wander:  and against dds they are hopeless.  With USA bombers, they drop  near the target and dive bombers rock.

Now, take what I just said with a grain of salt because all of this was done in co-op, so, playing against a bot Langley it's easier and more strait forward than against a bot Hosho. Takes much more time to get rid of the planes and it's not as strait forward.

Hosho has a more "toxic" gameplay.

And this takes me to my next point.

Guess, I feel confident with my gameplay with Langley (give me a break, it's my second day of this, so be happy for me) but, at the same time this only means that I'm ok with bots and I'm worried about that. As I'm conformed my tactics around that, I'm afraid I will suck against another human being.

How did you made the leap?

I don't know where this will lead me because the new cvs are going to be a race and we don't  get to control the fighters, I was hoping that the alternative line was that, fighters. 

P.s.-Did I already tell you that Auto drop suck balls big time?

• Cool 1

[PRAVD]
Players
1,118 posts
5,616 battles
30 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

After some co-op to get used to carriers I started to play random battles. I did that for basically every ship.

For tier 6 I tried to practice quite a bit in co-op and training battles, also against experienced carrier players, to get at least decent. Pretty satisfying when I got a few good strafes on one of those players.

That, and spending hours and hours in watching the guides made by Farazelleth, and to a lesser degree Femmenenly, gave me the confidence to play randoms in tier 6. But still I didn't/don't have confidence enough yet to play solo. Just checked my stats, and I don't have a single solo game from tier 6 and up.

Never been a fan of the divebombers, they're too RNG-based IMO. Though I like them so far on the test server in the handful of games I played so far (but only get overpens on Shõkaku).

Auto drop dumbs down the game, and while I see why they removed the alt attacks, I think releasing some tutorials would've achieved a better result for the new players. Now we had to learn at tier 6. That being said, you can get good results with auto drop. I did manage to get a 7-kill game in Bogue, and a 101k damage game in Hõshõ.

Oh, and I do like the candy autodrop

Spoiler

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor autodrop

[L4GG]
Players
1,704 posts
6,682 battles

Today I also had few of those games where I can't do anything about the ships.

those Texas, Bretins, and whatnot murders my planes, I had to go for the cv, of them all the least hazard.

Funny thing when I was in the other side I always though my AA sucked, and planes were OP.

1 hour ago, Robber_Baron said:

After some co-op to get used to carriers I started to play random battles. I did that for basically every ship.

For tier 6 I tried to practice quite a bit in co-op and training battles, also against experienced carrier players, to get at least decent. Pretty satisfying when I got a few good strafes on one of those players.

That, and spending hours and hours in watching the guides made by Farazelleth, and to a lesser degree Femmenenly, gave me the confidence to play randoms in tier 6. But still I didn't/don't have confidence enough yet to play solo. Just checked my stats, and I don't have a single solo game from tier 6 and up.

Never been a fan of the divebombers, they're too RNG-based IMO. Though I like them so far on the test server in the handful of games I played so far (but only get overpens on Shõkaku).

Auto drop dumbs down the game, and while I see why they removed the alt attacks, I think releasing some tutorials would've achieved a better result for the new players. Now we had to learn at tier 6. That being said, you can get good results with auto drop. I did manage to get a 7-kill game in Bogue, and a 101k damage game in Hõshõ.

Oh, and I do like the candy autodrop

Reveal hidden contents

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor autodrop

thank you. I'll do that.

yes, I like them more than TBs especially with auto drops, they deal less damage but I find them more reliable than TBs, I even manage to citadel an yubari, and sunk a dd, so far, they are great to reset caps, and each time you nail a dd you can see things falling over from it (modules, engines k.o. , and stuff).

Beta Tester
13 posts
2,061 battles

As far as getting adjusted to PVP, just bash your head against that wall until it breaks or you give up - there's no other way around it. 

If you don't mind me giving some tips for T6+: 

-Try to keep your squadrons slightly dispersed so that even if you make a major mistake, you can't lose everything to a single enemy strafe

-Always assume that enemy fighters are trying to strafe your planes whether they be fighters or strike planes, and play around that

-If an enemy strafes and you have 50% or more (any less and it's not really worth it, you won't deal enough damage) of your fighters in a squadron alive, set up a strafe right behind the enemy's. There is no way to exit a strafe, so if the enemy misses, you have several seconds where enemy fighters are locked into flying in a straight line and there's nothing enemy CV can do but watch until the strafe ends

-If you decide to go down the IJN CV line and use air superiority Flight Control Packages (the ones that give you several fighter and few strike squadrons) or reach T7 where you naturally get 2 fighter squadrons, you can click on enemy fighters with one squadron, strafe with the second and 1-2 seconds before the strafe hits your first squadron you exit strafe with them. Unless enemy CV pays attention and instantly strafes too, his fighters will remain stuck in place and get strafed by you after which you can try strafing again or just click with both of your squadrons

[WTFNO]
Players
296 posts
5,388 battles
19 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I mention it just in case, but even for auto drops you can manually adjust the angle (click on the small icon on the circle, then drag)

Very useful for DB to align with the target, and for TB to torp slightly from behind ;-)

[WTFNO]
Players
296 posts
5,388 battles
19 hours ago, Robber_Baron said:

Auto drop dumbs down the game, and while I see why they removed the alt attacks, I think releasing some tutorials would've achieved a better result for the new players. Now we had to learn at tier 6.

Opinions differ I guess. The lack of manual drops allows new players to learn about the basics, and focus more on general map awareness rather than raw damage.

I would have even introduced manual attacks one at a tier, eg manual drops at %, then strafe at 6.

Could not agree more on the lack of proper tutorials though, which probably explained a significant part of the 'CV problem'

Anyway, it's all moot now, since the next patch will make a whole mess of anything plane-related.

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
19 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

Hosho:

I can see the potential but meh.

fighters are worse, less in a wave but more waves, with much less ammunition and weaker.

In this line the damage dealt is much higher, double or triple of the other line   because you have two TB squadrons instead of one. But they are Awful when compared with their counterparts.

For Fighters on Hosho, I take the +50% ammo module and they have a decent amount. The main thing with Hosho I found was to map out what ships in the team have A above which to fight the enemy CV. Frustrate them with your fighter into a stalemate by just patrolling over your team, sooner or later they'll come.

I actually appreciate Hosho TBs far more than Langley, because you can send one squad left, one right and crossdrop. With Langley, you can't.

And yes, autodrop sucks. But having to learn Manual at T6 is what made me turn away from CVs. Crappy hangar capacity, make a mistake and you are basically out. Can't practice in Coop, because bots don't strafe, so you basically cannot learn how the strafing game works there, you need to learn it in randoms. T8s, Double CV games vs T7s are also infuriating, but then a week or so ago, I noticed I had enough exp for Hiryuu and bought her out of a mistake. Played the ship a few times, before completely quitting, because after 7 games and 57% WR, I still felt like I can't subject other people to me having to still learn how to counter-strafe. 

Players
814 posts
13,016 battles

I've offered players who were willing to learn (adversaries who asked instead of ranting about cheats in open chat) a couple of times in game to open a training room, I don't mind becoming a punching ball for a rookie. Never received an answer to that (it's hard to coincide with casual players when my usual gaming sessions are so late at night), but AFAIK one of them made some positive efforts towards improving, because I saw him apply the things we talked about against another CV. Unfortunately he was on the red team again, so our carrier was the one suffering.

20 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

[...]

[...]

To be honest, I never made the leap because I started with CV gameplay directly into randoms when strafing out wasn't even implemented and the skill tree reached up to 5 points. It was at that time that I got the bad habit of CV sniping, but it also helped me identify the hints pointing to one and the required evasive manoeuvres when suffering it, starting with not becoming a fixed airfield. The recent bunch of CV players before the rework are going a lot for that very same mistake: just early this morning I had a 4 CV T7 battle (my Hiryu and a Ranger vs another Ranger and a Kaga, and then an Atlanta on top of that) where my companion died to the combined snipe from both red carriers, which shows they weren't that proficient (one CV is more than enough if done properly). They didn't try on me because the strafes scared them and I was continuously moving. And yes, autodrops are really bad, but they're there for when you have to prioritise other actions, or as a last-ditch effort for ensuring a strike if about to die.

Salute.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,724 posts
14,669 battles
21 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I educated myself as much as possible about the subject before playing then just started out in randoms.

Once I inevitably got trashed by some unicum Saipan I spent about 500 games in my Hiryu gitting gud before moving on to T8+.

Not the most optimal way to learn how to CV I suppose. You're already a far better person than I am by starting out in coop first. :Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this