Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Talladega_Night

Flint or Black?

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players
473 posts
4,926 battles

Im gonna have enough steel for either the Flint or the Black soon, am debating which one to get.  anyone have any thoughts? also anyone have any idea what boat is hidden in the arsenal?

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,240 posts
9,127 battles

Hi all,

35 minutes ago, Metatric said:

Im gonna have enough steel for either the Flint or the Black soon, am debating which one to get.  anyone have any thoughts? also anyone have any idea what boat is hidden in the arsenal?

I have the same conundrum...

BTW, I am leaning towards "Black" at the moment!

Leo "Apollo11"

[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Players
1,102 posts
31,418 battles

I have both and I say get the Black first cuz radar+smoke is OP! :Smile_teethhappy: ... Plus, You get very good credits in good battles. I recommend using the "Torp Acc." captain skill.

Players
49 posts
10,343 battles

Get the Stalingrad and wait WG to give its weak guns and thin armor some much needed buffs. 

It's not OP because you are always discriminated by MM :cap_book:

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
356 posts
14,585 battles

If you can handle the Atlanta very well, go for the Flint. It's a very powerful ship, even as Lowtier, and way more in a division. The tier 7 matchmaker is one of the best

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,068 posts
5,943 battles

I'm almost in the same position and I've decided to get the back.

Players
609 posts

Does the Flint have anything else over the Atlanta apart from the longer torpedo range (which I think still falls short of her detection radius)?

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,092 posts
8,476 battles
11 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Does the Flint have anything else over the Atlanta apart from the longer torpedo range (which I think still falls short of her detection radius)?

What? Apart from the 2,5 min US smoke which can be renewed 20 seconds after it expires?

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I hear you. I scraped enough to be able to buy 1 of them. Now I'm not doing too well with Atlanta. And I am doing well with Fletcher. Seeing your stats I see the same thing. So spending my steel for simplistically put an Atlanta with smoke or a Fletcher with radar? I don't know. Also not overly hyped for Balansgrad but very curious to Bon Jovi and I'd like to see the specs of USS Soon. So I'll just hold on to the metal now.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
877 posts
6,953 battles

I got the Black, because Fletcher is the best DD in the game. PLayed one game with her, 4 kills and that's with me going through a DD hiatus.

Players
609 posts
4 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I hear you. I scraped enough to be able to buy 1 of them. Now I'm not doing too well with Atlanta. And I am doing well with Fletcher. Seeing your stats I see the same thing. So spending my steel for simplistically put an Atlanta with smoke or a Fletcher with radar? I don't know. Also not overly hyped for Balansgrad but very curious to Bon Jovi and I'd like to see the specs of USS Soon. So I'll just hold on to the metal now.

Steel Warriors!

I have so little steel that even the Flint is a remote possibility. I suck less in DD's so the Black is a much more tempting option for me, smoke or no smoke and the radar can be very effective (at least when you are at the wrong end of it...)

[UNICS]
Players
374 posts
5,254 battles
22 minuty temu, Karasu_Hidesuke napisał:

It`s got a US DD smoke generator.

Flint is essentially the Atlanta done right. You can park anywhere rather than behind some islands, and you also get actually useful torpedoes.

Moreover the only thing you have to give up for that is a loss of one turret/side (you can fire 6 rather than 7 per broadside), and a little bit of AA.

Players
609 posts
30 minutes ago, kfa said:

What? Apart from the 2,5 min US smoke which can be renewed 20 seconds after it expires?

15 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

It`s got a US DD smoke generator.

Flint is essentially the Atlanta done right. You can park anywhere rather than behind some islands, and you also get actually useful torpedoes.

Moreover the only thing you have to give up for that is a loss of one turret/side (you can fire 6 rather than 7 per broadside), and a little bit of AA.

Okay, for a cruiser player this sounds pretty good. It's difficult to say how much difference that 'little bit of AA' is going to make in practice (currently the quickest way to guarantee no CV's is to pick a full AA build cruiser...) with the upcoming CV rework. Someone who knows the cruisers better might be able to say if the Flint is the best mid tier US cruiser currently in the game, I'm still more of a BB/DD player myself, though.

• Cool 1

Players
2,637 posts
2,914 battles
Just now, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Okay, for a cruiser player this sounds pretty good. It's difficult to say how much difference that 'little bit of AA' is going to make in practice (currently the quickest way to guarantee no CV's is to pick a full AA build cruiser...) with the upcoming CV rework. Someone who knows the cruisers better might be able to say if the Flint is the best mid tier US cruiser currently in the game, I'm still more of a BB/DD player myself, though.

From what I hear, aht you get with Flint is an Atlanta with smoke and decent torps.

Basically it is a Fiji with HE, plus super-AA. Now, I'd like that. But the CV rework is an excellent point.

However... that also goes for EVERY ship.

I think it mostly depends on what you like. And what you are good at. 

For me, loving Leander, it would be Flint. For my div mate, who is a DD-main, no doubt he'd get Black.

Actually I'm scared what would happen to the reds if he got his hands on one.

• Cool 1

Players
609 posts
12 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

For me, loving Leander, it would be Flint. For my div mate, who is a DD-main, no doubt he'd get Black.

Actually I'm scared what would happen to the reds if he got his hands on one.

I salute your gift of empathy.  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
17 posts
10,536 battles

I was in the same situation. Even though I really love the Atlanta I went for Black. So far it works as intented. Radar helps me focus the teams attention/fire on other DDs without loosing my HP so win rate is fine. But I struggle a lot with the ultra slow torpedoes. Don’t hit much and even with torp acceleration you are belove 50 knots. 

So close your eyes and may the force be with you when you torp. 

For me the main reason for Black was the fact that next ranked is T9. There will be no T9 CVs, right?
So my plan is to use Black in ranked and avoid randoms as I guess the initial CV meta will be hell for all other classes.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
807 posts
5,420 battles

I picked Flint last week because it was my 1st wanted ship long time when having steel, get her and I like her playstyle. Flint or Black question: It depends on which gamestyle you like: daka daka cruiser or badass gunboat.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,863 posts
6,680 battles

I was in the same situation as well; I went with Black, for a few reasons:

• I suck (marginally) less in DDs.
  • Black has the smoke/radar combination.
  • Black is more useful to me personally as a captain trainer.
  • The next Ranked is apparently T9, and a premium DD should generate some decent silver to compensate for the frustrations of playing that mode!
  • She's basically a weird Fletcher, and Fletcher is splendid.

That said, I would be very keen on getting Flint as well; so, better arrange myself a substantial order of Git Gud for upcoming seasons of Ranked/Clans...

Beta Tester, Players
473 posts
4,926 battles

yeah, im currently leaning towards Black at the moment. I do like the Kidd. also no T9 CV's in ranked will make DD play less frustrating

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
6,248 battles

I've been deciding on Flint or Black for a while now, but im leaning more twoards Flint, i was wanting that ship ever since it came out :Smile_Default:

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles
7 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

I've been deciding on Flint or Black for a while now, but im leaning more twoards Flint, i was wanting that ship ever since it came out :Smile_Default:

Me too. So opted for Flint in the end and haven't regret it

• Cool 1

Players
609 posts

I guess one way of looking at this is which ship is the more unique one. Having read some of the comments deciding between the two would be difficult for me as, in general, I do very badly in both cruisers and gunboat DD's having specialized more in torpedo/stealth builds.

Players
1,685 posts
11,372 battles

Have both.

Dislike Black in the current radar/Battlecruiser meta.

Flint on the other hand is fun for operations

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,900 battles

Black's power lies in his torpedos!

Torpedos which a lot of DD can run away!! :)

This is how it goes...

You get close to a battleship..

you make yourself visible for a very short duration.. the battleship thinks...

then get away.. then torp like half way behind the torpedo indicator..

Battleship thinks! ouw!! torpedos will come..

then will do evasive action..

no torpedos.. he thinks.. appereantly.. he didn't have reload..

3 mins later... full torpedo salvo! :)

A couple days ago,

I've torped a conq from outside of my range..

2 hours later.. 1 hit :)

How fun!!!

• Funny 2

Sign in to follow this