Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MileyTwerkingCyrus

2 suggestions to potentially help the CV/AA rework succeed

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
13 posts
2,061 battles

For full disclosure I havent been able to play any games with and/or against the new CVs, I have only watched every single video from Farazelleth/Notser/Flamu + several videos from other youtubers both from CV and non-CV perspectives, as well as read all CV rework-related WG posts. Alongside that, although I play all ship classes roughly equally with CVs being played the least, I'm primarily a BB main. I'll also be working under the assumption that this rework is meant for PC and isn't a console-CV version being adopted for PC out of necessity. 

1) Manual long-range AA, both dual-purpose main battery mounts like those of american destroyers and dual-purpose secondary mounts like japanese 12.7cm/40s or german 10.5cm/65s. If all surface ships can manually fire their long-range AA, with good aim, they can reliably down aircraft since the flak bursts currently appear to deal pretty significant damage when they hit. This would also allow for proper teamwork particularly for cruiser players by allowing to act as the "shield" of the fleet at the cost of not engaging surface targets in the mean time, and would address the issues many people have brought up with AA-specialized premium cruisers like Atlanta being heavily shafted by the AA rework. Short and mid-range AA would still remain as passive auras, and when not selected, same could and should stay the same for long-range AA. Although not related to AA, if this were to be implemented, I can see it being implemented in a very similar fashion for secondaries which I would personally greatly appreciate.

This comes with the drawback of requiring a lot of work on WGs part, as well as being nearly impossible to balance properly - either its useless and all of WGs work is wasted because nobody uses this feature, or its OP and carriers can barely strike anyone due to planes evaporating as soon as they come into range. WG has also stated that they want to reduce the amount of multitasking players have to do (not gonna touch on their reasoning or my opinions about it), which this obviously would be the opposite of.

This is focused on helping surface ships shoot down planes better without doing it the boring via increasing the damage of reworked AA which has even less interaction in-game than currently left-clicking specific squadrons.

2) Return to limited planes AND  reward damage dealt to planes just like damage dealt to ships is (probably at a reduced rate, 10-20 points of plane damage equaling 1 point of ship damage seems about fair since currently there's almost no interaction). With limited planes CVs would have to play more carefully due to the risk of running out of planes (even though that risk is MUCH reduced with the removal of manual CV fighters and general AA nerf),and surface vessels are still rewarded for dealing damage to said planes so even a player that gets focused down and killed early on by a CV wont be going back to port having earned absolutely nothing.

Of course though, if planes are barely getting shot down (as they currently are), then it doesn't really matter whether a CV has limited or infinite planes, and even if ships are rewarded for dealing damage to planes not just shooting them down, that doesn't reduce the damage taken from constant attacks nor does it make dying while being unable to do anything more than maneuver and pray less frustrating.

This is focused on making CVs more careful about their targets and attacks so they spend less time attacking and dealing damage, as well as making it less frustrating to have your AA blasting away and doing nothing but lowering your FPS and potentially obscuring enemy ships.

Please feel free to share your ideas if you have any too. "Just don't implement CV+AA reworks" obviously isn't going to happen, so please don't bother.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles

I really think AA should be manual lead. just like you aim at surface ships. This way you remove the RNG factor completely and reward player for good aiming. Think this would be a challenge for both the CV player trying to dodge the AA and the player shooting. Furthermore it would force surface ships to choose between a surface target or defend their own ship. Different range aura should be overlapping.

The unlimited amount of planes could be balanced with longer prep time when you lose aircraft. This way you'll end up with perhaps a quarter sized strike late game if you lose to many planes in the early part of the match.

I really want this rework to succeed, but well balanced so neither part thinks the other part is OP.

Players
4,793 posts
7,962 battles

Two issues here, we're talking about game developed by WG* and we're on EU forum, place not exactly known for dev-players interactions:cap_book:

*Technically WG is only publisher, as actual dev team is Lesta Studio. Still, WG is their parent company, so whatever

Beta Tester
2,437 posts

1/ Too complex and time consuming to code + distract player from from their main guns -->  devs wont do it :cap_haloween:

2/ Increase disparity between newbies and pro CV -->  devs wont do it :cap_haloween:

Players
1,325 posts
7,903 battles

Yes to both.

For balancing purposes using your main battery as AA should suspend your ability to use it against surface ships (or at least significantly increase your reload). You should also have to fire whatever it is you have loaded, which could result in a massive dip in main gun AA efficacy if that happens to be AP. 

I think it's fair that CVs get a chance to surprise ships and that their first attack should be a powerful one, as it is now. It's being able to come back again and again against an opponent who is becoming weaker which is the problem. Target ships will lose AA mounts and use consumables, whereas as persistent CV players can come back with few issues. 

Planes should have to return to the CV to refuel/reload, removing the possibility of permaspotting and constant attacks, and plane crew should become less skilled as they respawn: resulting in wider drop dispersion and more of a tendency to scatter. A CV main could invest captain skill points to reduce the rate at which this happens. 

I would also add an AA fire control module and Anti AA radar consumable. These would increase the accuracy of AA guns, with a bonus to AA damage which increases over time from initial activation, and a reduction to the effect of plane skills such as dodging.... It would mean that a CV which came back to a ship within 60-90 seconds of a previous attack would find itself facing much stronger AA than on the first run. 

I would also add a special ammo type - Proximity HE - to allow AA cruisers to be very bad news to planes while suffering a major debuff against surface ships (such shells would cause very little damage to them). 

This would give everyone the tools for a balanced game, where player choices and actions matter, and not the derp fest of 8.0.

Players
1,053 posts
7,988 battles

I feel like we can effectively achieve #2 with the current PTS mechanics, but with change of simple parameterizations. Note that even in the current system, losing planes is punished -- the more you planes lose, the longer it'll take to rearm that squadron type.

The current mechanics offer lots of parameters you can tweak.

• People complain about weak AA -- this is trivial to buff if necessary. 
  • You can make the squadron rearm delay longer, so if you lose all 6 or 9 planes, it'll take a while to rearm them.
  • You can even make the rearm slow enough that if the CV player has lost many planes of all 3 types on the previous attack runs, he'll have option but to leave with an incomplete squadron. This would increasingly reward the player who's good at navigating through AA, but would still avoid the frustration of the CV playing having nothing to do because running out of planes.
  • I think the "loss of good pilots" mechanic proposed by @invicta2012 above is also a great idea, and would further reward not losing planes. You could also use this for national/ship line flavour, with one e.g. one nation having a small number of elite pilots but followed by green pilots, while another nation has deeper ranks for well-trained pilots.

A dilemma of the rework is it's still hard to make fun for both the CV and the target. IMO the core issue for the CV player is, there's not a lot to do. You fly out, navigate some AA/fighter bubbles, release bombs/torps/rockets, and repeat. Because this is all there is for the CV player to do, the plane cycling needs to be quick. But for the target this means an endless stream of air attacks which will. not. stop. These problems are hard to solve at the same time.

Sign in to follow this