Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mars_Triumphant

7 comments in this topic

Players
3,037 posts
31,525 battles

I really think AA should be manual lead. just like you aim at surface ships. This way you remove the RNG factor completely and reward player for good aiming. Think this would be a challenge for both the CV player trying to dodge the AA and the player shooting. Furthermore it would force surface ships to choose between a surface target or defend their own ship. Different range aura should be overlapping.

The unlimited amount of planes could be balanced with longer prep time when you lose aircraft. This way you'll end up with perhaps a quarter sized strike late game if you lose to many planes in the early part of the match.

I really want this rework to succeed, but well balanced so neither part thinks the other part is OP.

Players
10,036 posts
11,833 battles

Two issues here, we're talking about game developed by WG* and we're on EU forum, place not exactly known for dev-players interactions:cap_book:

*Technically WG is only publisher, as actual dev team is Lesta Studio. Still, WG is their parent company, so whatever

Beta Tester
2,464 posts

1/ Too complex and time consuming to code + distract player from from their main guns -->  devs wont do it :cap_haloween:

2/ Increase disparity between newbies and pro CV -->  devs wont do it :cap_haloween:

[-TPF-]
Players
3,924 posts
16,163 battles

Yes to both.

For balancing purposes using your main battery as AA should suspend your ability to use it against surface ships (or at least significantly increase your reload). You should also have to fire whatever it is you have loaded, which could result in a massive dip in main gun AA efficacy if that happens to be AP. 

I think it's fair that CVs get a chance to surprise ships and that their first attack should be a powerful one, as it is now. It's being able to come back again and again against an opponent who is becoming weaker which is the problem. Target ships will lose AA mounts and use consumables, whereas as persistent CV players can come back with few issues. 

Planes should have to return to the CV to refuel/reload, removing the possibility of permaspotting and constant attacks, and plane crew should become less skilled as they respawn: resulting in wider drop dispersion and more of a tendency to scatter. A CV main could invest captain skill points to reduce the rate at which this happens. 

I would also add an AA fire control module and Anti AA radar consumable. These would increase the accuracy of AA guns, with a bonus to AA damage which increases over time from initial activation, and a reduction to the effect of plane skills such as dodging.... It would mean that a CV which came back to a ship within 60-90 seconds of a previous attack would find itself facing much stronger AA than on the first run. 

I would also add a special ammo type - Proximity HE - to allow AA cruisers to be very bad news to planes while suffering a major debuff against surface ships (such shells would cause very little damage to them). 

This would give everyone the tools for a balanced game, where player choices and actions matter, and not the derp fest of 8.0.

Players
1,249 posts
9,418 battles

I feel like we can effectively achieve #2 with the current PTS mechanics, but with change of simple parameterizations. Note that even in the current system, losing planes is punished -- the more you planes lose, the longer it'll take to rearm that squadron type.

The current mechanics offer lots of parameters you can tweak.

• People complain about weak AA -- this is trivial to buff if necessary. 
  • You can make the squadron rearm delay longer, so if you lose all 6 or 9 planes, it'll take a while to rearm them.
  • You can even make the rearm slow enough that if the CV player has lost many planes of all 3 types on the previous attack runs, he'll have option but to leave with an incomplete squadron. This would increasingly reward the player who's good at navigating through AA, but would still avoid the frustration of the CV playing having nothing to do because running out of planes.
  • I think the "loss of good pilots" mechanic proposed by @invicta2012 above is also a great idea, and would further reward not losing planes. You could also use this for national/ship line flavour, with one e.g. one nation having a small number of elite pilots but followed by green pilots, while another nation has deeper ranks for well-trained pilots.

A dilemma of the rework is it's still hard to make fun for both the CV and the target. IMO the core issue for the CV player is, there's not a lot to do. You fly out, navigate some AA/fighter bubbles, release bombs/torps/rockets, and repeat. Because this is all there is for the CV player to do, the plane cycling needs to be quick. But for the target this means an endless stream of air attacks which will. not. stop. These problems are hard to solve at the same time.

Sign in to follow this