You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MortenTardo

BB tutorial

22 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles

Seems like there are alot of "beginners" sailing around in their top tier BB's this holiday. I just wanna give you guys some tips.

* Broadside = badside

* W to move forward

* When you see a DD, SHOOT AT IT! Even with AP (Yes, it still does massive DMG to them)

* Find out which ships have radar and focus on killing them first to help your team. 

* If you look at the bottom right corner you will see a square. This is called "minimap". Press + on the numpad to make it bigger. Look at it between shots. It gives you more information than anything else.

* Again W to move forward.

* HE is not your main ammo type. (Some exceptions).

* You are very tanky. Don't be afraid to get some scratches in the paint. You get more tools than any other class to deal with DMG.

* You should not hide behind islands. (Leave that to squishy cruisers) 

* And last. W to move forward

Happy new year. 

Cheers

• Cool 7
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 1

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,092 posts
8,476 battles

* This is not World of Tanks

* If you go in the frontline damage tanking your 100k HP will melt in a minute

* Use the surroundings to your advantage, ambush cruisers from behind islands

* Use WASD. W will get you killed

* Do not overextend

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
135 posts
3,993 battles
5 minutes ago, kfa said:

While this is true maybe we should leave the advanced strats for after they have learned to use W. We don't want to confuse them or scare them off using W.

• Funny 4

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,091 posts
7,621 battles
16 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

What was the "W" key for again? 

The Win-button :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles
1 hour ago, kfa said:

No. W will move them closer to the battlefield. They already know where the S key is located. Don't worry. 

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles
2 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

Look at it between shots.

But when will I read & spam the chat then? :Smile_trollface:

1 hour ago, kfa said:

Was going to write this aswell :Smile_veryhappy: just probably as WAD, enough of them know how to reverse as soon as the game starts

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,489 posts
10,958 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, MortenTardo sagte:

* You are very tanky. Don't be afraid to get some scratches in the paint. You get more tools than any other class to deal with DMG.

Only a complete noob who has never gone up against an IJN gunboat, Worcester etc could think that was true.

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,920 posts
12,744 battles
11 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Only a complete noob who has never gone up against an IJN gunboat, Worcester etc could think that was true.

What exactly was wrong in what he posted?

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles
38 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

But only a complete noob who have never heard of minimap and positioning will die to daka daka. 

[OGHF]
Players
704 posts
12,181 battles

And dont forget that all BB’s need to carry this with them at all times, please refer to it when needed.0DB07694-5031-4928-A789-462660CE3298.thumb.jpeg.080b770ccd4a8b1399b8a1782efad078.jpeg

• Funny 2

Players
4,576 posts
5,698 battles
2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Alright, which other class is going to survive longer while getting spammed by a HE spammer with 32 mm pen? DDs with lulzy hp pool, mostly no repair party and no meaningful armour except on one ship? Cruisers were exactly two T10s have 50 mm plating and the only other hightier cruiser with any HE resistant plating is Atago (41 mm on the centre deck)? Compared to all the German BBs having 50 mm to 80 mm decks, Yamato, Musashi and Izumo getting up to 57 mm, USN tech tree ships getting 38 mm amidships? With vastly more hp and repair party universally present on all tiers, not just from T9 on for most cruiser lines. Or CVs that currently are basically just BBs that cannot dodge, nor repair. So, what other class is better equipped to deal with damage it takes from Worcester, Harugumo and consorts?

Players
1,489 posts
10,958 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Riselotte sagte:

So, what other class is better equipped to deal with damage it takes from Worcester, Harugumo and consorts?

The cruisers and DDs of course, because they can just quickly kite away while firing back a lot more often. Also hydro.

[NWP]
Players
4,609 posts
6,356 battles
26 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Too be honest i dont do well in bb’s compared too cruisers and dd’s (why is that?).

Do you have another account aswell? Kinda hard to tell with only 5 battles played with DDs :Smile-_tongue:

But the way i see it:

BBs are "easy to play" yet kinda hard to really play well.

You can see that with PR on wowsnumbers. Even high WR, high avg damage and good avg kills tends to be low unicum rating at best.

You have to perform MUCH better in BBs to get a super unicum rating compared to Cruisers/DDs. (92k damage 0 kills is ~3000 PR with Cleveland, while 174k + 3 kills is only 3600 with Musashi - both wins)

Having an impact on the game with a BB usually comes down to positioning and using your HP pool at the right time - not necessarily by dealing damage. You can farm damage from the back yet make your team lose by playing like that.

BB is area denial - close to a cap, majority of the ships wont dare to push you, as they simply cant kill you fast enough, or you can kill them faster.

Players
4,576 posts
5,698 battles
1 minute ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

The cruisers and DDs of course, because they can just quickly kite away while firing back a lot more often. Also hydro.

The original statement was.

This isn't about dodging shells, this is about when shells hit. And its an important difference, because it's why small ships have to try to dodge and kite. Because what is to be considered is that kiting can be a nice delaying tactic, but kiting away is not a tactic that allows map control. Kiting away basically gradually cedes map space in order to create a favourable damage exchange ratio, but that's not always what matters. If you are being capped or you have no cap control, kiting the enemy to the map border is not going to work and on most tiers you can't just go in and bully other cruisers and BBs out without issues as a cruiser or DD. When it comes to pushing in, someone will have to take damage and then it is best if it's the BB.

Also, hydro helps vs HE spam how?

Players
1,133 posts
245 battles
16 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Do you have another account aswell? Kinda hard to tell with only 5 battles played with DDs :Smile-_tongue:

But the way i see it:

BBs are "easy to play" yet kinda hard to really play well.

You can see that with PR on wowsnumbers. Even high WR, high avg damage and good avg kills tends to be low unicum rating at best.

You have to perform MUCH better in BBs to get a super unicum rating compared to Cruisers/DDs. (92k damage 0 kills is ~3000 PR with Cleveland, while 174k + 3 kills is only 3600 with Musashi - both wins)

Having an impact on the game with a BB usually comes down to positioning and using your HP pool at the right time - not necessarily by dealing damage. You can farm damage from the back yet make your team lose by playing like that.

BB is area denial - close to a cap, majority of the ships wont dare to push you, as they simply cant kill you fast enough, or you can kill them faster.

Ahh my other account is brigadierrosen but i cant log in to the forums with it (steam account).

just wonder why i have such a good winrate in my king george but such bad pr.

[NWP]
Players
4,609 posts
6,356 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

just wonder why i have such a good winrate in my king george but such bad pr.

KGV is an HE spammer ship, so natually many players will rack up damage like nobody's business.

I myself have a rather low average damage in it, because i shoot AP so often (im really not good spamming HE :cap_haloween:just dont get the fires i need, or someone else gets them, which is good for the game, but doesnt show on my PR)

PR comes mostly from damage and kills, and after that from WR.

Since you have a better WR in KGV compared to your other ships with a reasonable (could be more) amount of games, i say you have more influence on the game than with the other ships. PR is more of an ego-boost id say. I have won 8 out of 9 games with KGV aswell, yet my avg damage in it is below the top 50% of EU server, i dont care tho. I blast DDs with HE, and use AP on other targets. If you deal a good AP salvo on an enemy he will always die faster than burning him down with fires. Even more so if you start burning a BB, he retreats and heals himself back up again - its meaningles damage farming.

If i go by avg damage on my T7 BBs, then yes, KGV is the lowest right now

(Nelson > Nagato > Gneisenau > KGV - Colorado and DOY can be ignored)

But if i win, i dont mind.

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,309 battles

Ohh, come on, this thread is not to make super unicums out of complete noobs. It's to get them from 35% winrate to 45%, so that battles stop being so frustrating for us.

So, here is my take on it.

* Don't stay too far from the battle, but don't rush in alone either

* In the bottom right of your screen is a minimap, look at it once in a while to know where the other ships are.

* You have the armor and HP to survive for a while, so don't hide behind islands, unless you are seriously outnumbered.

* Remember that there are two types of ammo: AP and HE. Stick to using AP until you learn those 1% of the cases when it might be useful to switch to HE.

* Try to keep your ship pointed at an angle to the majority of the enemy. Not 0°, but not 180° either. Practice in the training room, set an AI as the enemy with the same ship type you intend to use, and fire at it from different angles. Keep in mind that shells can be bounced off the armor, depending on shell type, armor, and the angle they hit.

* slightly alter your direction every 10-15 seconds, so that enemy torpedoes won't hit you

* If you are set on fire, and are still visible to the enemy, don't use the Damage Control instantly. You will survive a fire for quite a while, and you will be able to repair the damage later with the Repair Party. What you won't survive, is the case the enemy awaited for you to use up your Damage Control, and then sets fire on 4 different parts of your ships, torpedoes you, and gets you flooded. That will deal you a lot of damage every seconds, and if your Damage Control is on cooldown, you will be helpless.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,065 battles

Remember if you’re bad with BB..practice your aiming with cruisers. If that doesn’t help well stick to DD.