Kehldon

State of USS Black?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
58 posts
4,679 battles

I just wanted to check the state of USS Black and if she worth getting?

I play ranked but not CW and is closing in on the Steel so I can get either Flint or Black. Since Im mostly a DD player, I have been looking at the USS Black but almost all reviews are at least a year old and I have heared they where nerfed?  

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles
2 hours ago, Kehldon said:

I play ranked but not CW and is closing in on the Steel so I can get either Flint or Black. Since Im mostly a DD player, I have been looking at the USS Black but almost all reviews are at least a year old and I have heared they where nerfed?  

It's a "premium", they don't get nerfed. Afaik Black hasn't changed a single bit.

It's a Fletcher with trollishly slow torps (Khaba & LeTerrible (in this ships case even if you have torp acceleration) actually go faster than those) but you have the broken combination of Smoke + Radar. Not that a 7.5km 24s radar is particularly strong, it's just the combo of things.

• Cool 1

Players
1,685 posts
11,372 battles

The radar meta isnt friendly to the Black. Torpedoes suck balls (40 knots but hits hard, range 13? km)

Mine has been collecting dust in port since USN CLs came out.

Since the YY nerf I'd rather sail Z52 or Chung Mu depending on preferences (dominate space with hydro or torp the ever living dailights out of the enemy)

There is a longer thread about Flint or Black in the gameplay section.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
877 posts
6,953 battles

I finally got one after coveting her since my Fletcher grind, thanks to the Steel missions this holiday period.

I'm an average DD player but I was owning in it. If you know how to Fletcher (and can live with the torps being even more fire and forget than usual) you'll love it. The radar isn't a game winner but it can be very useful.

[AAO]
Players
1,913 posts
9,936 battles

it should be still a gutboat for a couple (:Smile_hiding:) of weeks...

[RUFL]
Players
199 posts
3,945 battles
On 12/31/2018 at 7:21 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

It's a "premium", they don't get nerfed. Afaik Black hasn't changed a single bit.

Not exactly, it is a reward ship that is viewed differently from a regular premium and can be nerfed more easily than the latter. At least this is the reasoning behind the fire duration nerf to Kronshtadt and Stalingrad that WG is considering at the moment.

Players
993 posts
21,316 battles
On 12/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, Kehldon said:

...only thing I can say sofar: Stalingrad (X) if played the right ways is the one to go for, awesome ship (seen what it can do in randoms).....USS Black???...seen it so many times in both my own teams + enemy teams...USS Black never got me "impressed" (score-lists etc. performance)...good destroyer, yes, but also Shima (=72 knots torps 9,6 km) is....USS Black...nahh...not a special ship....honestly if you ask me: my Asashio performs way times better, so much more impressive. As to yr question: ...go for Stalingrad (X)!!....anyway...that is what i would do...succes wished!

Players
445 posts
7,614 battles

For randoms the radar/smoke combination isn't that strong because there are plenty of cruiser radars already.

For T9 ranked she seems pretty strong, one of the top picks.

https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,11/

Looking at this it seems pretty low on average damage though, perhaps because her torps are more an area denial thing that won't hit anything that often.

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
2,396 battles

After completing the Steel Monsters campaign a couple of days ago, I had finally saved up enough steel to get myself the USS Black. I jumped straight into ranked arms race, and sneaked, blasted and torped myself all the way down to rank 13 with five consecutive wins. What a rush!

Most of it was luck, I'm sure - but I did reliably contribute to the victories, which is more than I would have been likely to do in the Missouri; I just haven't got the hang of top tier battleship gunnery yet. But in a destroyer? Oh, boy! Zooming around spotting, collecting candy drop boxes, dropping area denial torpedo spreads to good effect, and obliterating any enemy destroyers I happened to bump into... good times! :Smile_teethhappy: