You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Praevasc

Attack of the 35% winrate carriers

118 comments in this topic

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,309 battles

The past 2-3 days I've seen many many many games full of tier 4-5-6 carriers, driven by players with around 35% to 40% winrate. It's a complete chaos now. Fighters hugging the edge of the map behind the spawn area, bombers circling in the middle of the highest concentrations of enemy ships while ignoring lone BBs, torpedo bombers engaging ships from the bow, air groups circling the carrier, all air groups of a CV flying together over a Texas and two PEFs to reach a faraway target, melting away in seconds, player cursing in chat about cheaters, and so on and so on...

Maybe only now did most players realize the incoming carrier rework, and they want to get a taste of RTS-style CV gameplay before it's removed?

Or is it just a coincidence?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,695 posts
14,617 battles

T4-6 have always been fairly reasonably populated with CVs.

However since T4/5 do not have alt attacks and T6 CVs tend to get up tiered a lot most skilled CV players avoid these tiers, meaning that the population is even more potato than usual compared to other classes.

So yeah, it has always been like this ever since alt attacks were removed from low tier CVs and low tiers were given protected MM.

• Cool 3

Players
4,085 posts
6,458 battles
18 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

Maybe only now did most players realize the incoming carrier rework, and they want to get a taste of RTS-style CV gameplay before it's removed? 

It might be, that people are trying to quickly grind the tree to make use of that dubloon-thing with the perma-camo? Had some fresh CVs today aswell, one actually did is frist game in Langley (experianced acc tho) :cap_wander:

• Cool 4

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,309 battles
15 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

T4-6 have always been fairly reasonably populated with CVs.

However since T4/5 do not have alt attacks and T6 CVs tend to get up tiered a lot most skilled CV players avoid these tiers, meaning that the population is even more potato than usual compared to other classes.

So yeah, it has always been like this ever since alt attacks were removed from low tier CVs and low tiers were given protected MM.

I played with the Bogue a lot, it's actually my most played ship, as I can concentrate on strategy instead of micromanaging manual drops.

So I know how CV play usually looks like. And by playing plenty of 5 tier cruisers, I can see that now there are much more battles with CVs than before.

I'm tempted to sealclub a little with my Bogue, but with the chaos this weekend, I think random chance has a high likelihood of ruining my fun.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,691 posts
6,658 battles
1 hour ago, Praevasc said:

The past 2-3 days I've seen many many many games full of tier 4-5-6 carriers, driven by players with around 35% to 40% winrate. It's a complete chaos now. Fighters hugging the edge of the map behind the spawn area, bombers circling in the middle of the highest concentrations of enemy ships while ignoring lone BBs, torpedo bombers engaging ships from the bow, air groups circling the carrier, all air groups of a CV flying together over a Texas and two PEFs to reach a faraway target, melting away in seconds, player cursing in chat about cheaters, and so on and so on...

For now, I'm at 100%.

I'm heading off for my first battle, right now.

• Funny 2

Players
1,685 posts
11,372 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

It might be, that people are trying to quickly grind the tree to make use of that dubloon-thing with the perma-camo? Had some fresh CVs today aswell, one actually did is frist game in Langley (experianced acc tho) :cap_wander:

What do you mean. They are revamping the same tree, not adding new ships like splitting of US CLs, so there should be no free perma camos, or did I miss something?

Players
4,085 posts
6,458 battles
19 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

What do you mean. They are revamping the same tree, not adding new ships like splitting of US CLs, so there should be no free perma camos, or did I miss something?

T7 and T9 CVs are getting removed, thus you get a full refund on your perma-camos, if you have one on those CVs. Right now, all perma-camos are on sale, 50% down. So you buy them now and get double the dubloons back, when the CV-rework hits the server with the next patch. (Dont blame me, if it doesnt work, but many people are doing this right now and it sounds logical).

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,691 posts
6,658 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Me too.

Still 100%.

fighters are so [edited]awesome. Slow as snails.

First game I didn't know how to land the planes for rearm :Smile_veryhappy:.

I didn't know that Langley had 27 planes.

Doubloons thing, perma-camo?

I'm just lining up for the new cv age:Smile_hiding:

Beta Tester
1,129 posts
20,397 battles

today i met a 29% winrate midway.......in my team......game autoloss...

i hope CVs die completely after the rework hit

they just ruin the game for everyone, except the good CV players

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Players
52 posts
4,210 battles

I have no problem with 35% CV players, as long as both teams have them. It's only a problem when one side has the 35% and the other has 65%, then It's game over and pure misery for 11 players.

• Cool 3

[WONLY]
Players
249 posts
10,764 battles

There are indeed a lot of carriers around right now. And the people playing it...well i have no words for them...maybe because of the rework they want to taste some RTS gameplay...

I just got some really useless ones today.  A 3-1-1 Ryujo with 4 planes shot down...or the independence that got told a 100 times to move away from his spawn point....well he didn't and got killed 5 minutes into the game. Right now you already have to be very lucky to get at least one competent DD in your team. A competent CV is 1 out of 10  right now...

[SCRUB]
Players
980 posts
7,897 battles
50 minutes ago, IceyJones said:

That's cute. 

Ever meet a 17% WR Midway after three hundred games in it that was not a bot as he was responding to people in chat? I have. 

He suicided into the middle on Okinawa while circling all his squads over himself only. 

• Funny 5

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,068 posts
5,943 battles

The other reason you may be seeing more CVs is that some players want to get the rewards for the snowflake on the ships.

I have some low tier CVs (plus the Saipan and Kaga) which still have the snowflake on it (for some reason the Hosho (TIV) does not have a snowflake and has not been played).   I'd only impose myself on a co-op battle though.

[THROW]
Players
652 posts
21,408 battles
3 hours ago, IceyJones said:

Ooo salty. I do hope you k ow that the rework won't kill CVs, quite the opposite actually. So have fun with the rework ;) 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[RO-RN]
Players
420 posts
5,856 battles

pray that after the rework and after lets say 2 or 3 or even less months people stop playing them. otherwises we will have 4 or even 5 cvs on each team! sounds familiar? guys sitting in the back with  no counter? farming damage? yep artillery.  however at lower tiers there where always many carriers and they should not have that much of a impact now because they removed manual attacks 

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,083 battles
5 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

Doubloons thing, perma-camo?

I'm just lining up for the new cv age:Smile_hiding:

The idea is since now the premium camos are on a discount. You buy them for all your carriers.

WG already stated that since the rework is going to have a huge impact you will get refunded for any carrier. 

You sell you carriers and get the full amount of doubloons back for your camos that you bought on sale = profit. 

• Cool 1

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,309 battles
4 hours ago, dubhda87 said:

I have no problem with 35% CV players, as long as both teams have them. It's only a problem when one side has the 35% and the other has 65%, then It's game over and pure misery for 11 players.

I've seen an exception.

I'm a 65% Bogue player, and had a 35% as my enemy in one battle.

I though we would win easily.

Then our sole DD suicided as fast as possible (probably hit full forward and never touched the controls again)

The other ships were all BB. One of them went to one edge of the map, started driving at low speed, unchanging direction, along the edge.

All the other BBs went straight for the island farthest away from the map center, and stayed behind it for the entire match.

Then they blamed me for the loss.

At least it was a ranked battle, so I didn't lose the star.

Players
2,637 posts
2,914 battles
22 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

. One of them went to one edge of the map, started driving at low speed, unchanging direction, along the edge.

THAT is probably the one that hit 'full speed' and never touched it again.

When you hit map border, it slows you down to a crawl. 

NB: I have Texas... will not work in T6 ranked though... but I do like it a lot these days.

Players
1,856 posts
6,920 battles
5 hours ago, IceyJones said:

Without ever playing a CV game in 18,719 battles? Wonder what side of the fence you are on then. Apologies if i don't take your comment seriously at all. 

Everyone has to right to play any ship they want, even the Stalingrad, Belfast, Saipan ect.  Good CV players deserve to play their preferred  class which they have worked hard worked to get that good, regardless of the enemy capability.

Same as you and your clan mates kicking the hell out of noobs in any ship, CV or not. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,856 posts
6,920 battles

Remember what new CV players have to work with.......Absolutely nothing regarding tactics and how to actually play them from WG, ever. 

• Cool 4

[-FNU-]
Players
6 posts
3,104 battles

Just met this hero ingame, how is it even possible?

*edited*

Edited by Brainstorm909
N&Sh
  • Funny 1

Players
2,637 posts
2,914 battles
7 hours ago, jannepanne said:

Just met this hero ingame, how is it even possible?

*edited*

Well, his survival ratio is showing the other potatoes get better at killing. 

There is hope yet, young padawan. :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Brainstorm909
  • Funny 1

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,309 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

Remember what new CV players have to work with.......Absolutely nothing regarding tactics and how to actually play them from WG, ever. 

True, there should be a tutorial for every newly purchased ship.

You unlock/buy a ship, you can only play it in co-op.

In order to be able to play it in random or ranked, you have to complete a tutorial mission against AI with it, specially tailored to that ship. For carriers it will guide you "now launch bombers, now move them to this place on the map, now engage those enemies with fighters, now an enemy cruiser with good AA comes, move your planes away, etc etc". Ok, for carriers this won't happen as they will be removed soon.

But this ship-based tutorial would benefit other classes too. "That enemy ship is angled well, switch to HE and try to hit the superstructure. That other enemy ship is angled too but has poor armor, switch back to AP". Maybe some parts of the control could be automated, making the tutorial something like an interactive video. (the problem with pure videos will be that many players will be bored and skip them)

So we would continue to allow everyone to play any ship they want, but they will hopefully at least have a basic grasp of how the game mechanics work.

This will still make them poor teammates, but at least not horrendously poor teammates where someone doesn't even know his ship has torpedoes, doesn't know DDs can lay smoke, or that there is a difference between AP and HE.

• Cool 1

[EVA]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
183 posts
5,463 battles

Another reason is maybe one of the Prinz Eitel Friedrich Tasks: Earn 25000 XP with a Carrier (T5+)

You can get a free New Years Container for the actual Collection.

• Cool 1